• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

Fisty

Yeah if he responds with the correct serial and Sony officially confirms the unit has been online since the buyer's documented receipt date, it should be an open and shut case.

But yeah this is ebay, I still think you're fucked OP, sorry :(

Antti

Why can't the OP just refuse to accept the return? In this case it would be good to involve the authorities.

jrolson

Stay away from ebay... Nothing but scammers there.

And don't sell game keys there as scammers can start a chargeback with paypal and your forced to give the money back while they keep the game... Happened to me a couple times now.

ReBirFh

You guys are making me afraid. I sold a SEGA CD lot and shipped from Brazil, the buyer didn't answer my email and all his qualifications (about 25) are from the past month.

I would refuse to refund the money regardless of what they rule even it meant losing my account. It happened to me in the past(with a phone) and I did exactly that. I took a while, but I eventually won and got my account reinstated without refunding the scammer.

Istaerion

Shit, i was going to sell my console on ebay too. What other options do i have? I really don't want amazon credit.

You can try your luck selling it over at the B/S/T thread. Craigslist isn't awful either if you follow the general safety guidelines.

Alternatively, you can wait for a trade-in bonus event at GameStop or BestBuy. They happen every now and then, and it's generally not bad at all if you're not opposed to credit specific to those two stores. Amazon's trade-in system is more strict in terms of requirements when it comes to consoles.

I cannot recommend eBay due to how unfriendly it is to sellers as you can see in this very thread.

KillGore

OP, if he tries to scam you, just call sony and tell them your console was stolen. It'll ban your console. It wont get you your money back but it'll be a nice "Fuck you!" to the scammer

hesido

I would refuse to refund the money regardless of what they rule even it meant losing my account. It happened to me in the past(with a phone) and I did exactly that. I took a while, but I eventually won and got my account reinstated without refunding the scammer.

I'd like to hear how you won, sometime!

Vashetti

Banned
Still no response. I have five days until the refund is forcibly taken.

How long should I wait until I unload all the information I have into the Return section? Or should I contact eBay separately first?

Would appreciate advice on plan of action. I'm going to adapt a suggestion from earlier in the thread where someone typed me out a great response where I explain to the buyer that he's free to return the console, but that I will only accept the original console and that any tampering or sending a different console will result in police action, as of course I have his name and address. This will of course be after I provide all the Sony evidence and give him the opportunity to cancel his return/refund request.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
You have his address.

I have plenty of SW points to make a case like this interesting :p

muzzymate

I'm getting ready to sell my Xbox One on eBay. I'll be sure to take a picture of the serial number and even include a photo of the last 4 or 5 digits to ward off such fuckery.

Best of luck to you!

You guys are making me afraid. I sold a SEGA CD lot and shipped from Brazil, the buyer didn't answer my email and all his qualifications (about 25) are from the past month.

Never ship outside the USA
I got scammed a few times so I just said no more international shipping X use that option

Hmmm shipping from outside the USA to USA 🤔
I think you should be in the clear, in the future I'd just leave a notecard asking to leave feedback when they have time, I always forget to leave feedback

Weevilone

I'm getting ready to sell my Xbox One on eBay. I'll be sure to take a picture of the serial number and even include a photo of the last 4 or 5 digits to ward off such fuckery.

Best of luck to you!

If the buyer claims you sent him a box of rocks you'll probably lose.

TSM

Best of luck to you!

The serial number means nothing to ebay. The buyer will just say "not as described" and use the serial number as proof you didn't send him same console you took pictures of. The buyer has all the leverage on ebay. As a seller on ebay if someone is trying to scam you it's unlikely you come out ahead.

I've bought plenty of stuff on ebay, and had people try and scam me. But as a buyer I never lost out as ebay was on my side every time. I'll only buy stuff there.

RedFury

Still no response. I have five days until the refund is forcibly taken.

How long should I wait until I unload all the information I have into the Return section? Or should I contact eBay separately first?

Would appreciate advice on plan of action. I'm going to adapt a suggestion from earlier in the thread where someone typed me out a great response where I explain to the buyer that he's free to return the console, but that I will only accept the original console and that any tampering or sending a different console will result in police action, as of course I have his name and address. This will of course be after I provide all the Sony evidence and give him the opportunity to cancel his return/refund request.
Your pretty much shit out of luck man. This guy's experienced, he won't respond and wait for the auto refund. You need to take action now and open up a dialog with Ebay before they just take auto action (which is siding with him). Explain the situation tell them you spoke to Sony and the serial is not banned, in fact they can see that he's actively using it. Your afraid he's trying to scam you, ask what steps you can take if he sends you his broken PS4 with non matching serial.

Fisty

OP, if he tries to scam you, just call sony and tell them your console was stolen. It'll ban your console. It wont get you your money back but it'll be a nice "Fuck you!" to the scammer

Yeah if it gets taken despite your proof, have the console banned and name and shame the guy, that's what I would do anyway. Scanners get no pity, this isn't Walmart he's fuckin with its just a regular person trying to recoup some upgrade costs.

Darth Chief 117

Neo Member
I'd remove your bank details from PayPal right now, if it doesn't let you, go to your bank and request new card, account number etc. This will at least stop them taking the money whilst you fight your case.

I'd also consider contacting the buyer again, as you suggested telling him you're in dialogue with Sony, eBay and the police in what you think is fraudulent action.

I'd remove your bank details from PayPal right now, if it doesn't let you, go to your bank and request new card, account number etc. This will at least stop them taking the money whilst you fight your case.

I'd also consider contacting the buyer again, as you suggested telling him you're in dialogue with Sony, eBay and the police in what you think is fraudulent action.

Yes, I've done this with scam crap before. Hopefully the seller just has one card on Paypal to make it simpler. One call to the card company. Say you lost it. One click on their end and a new card on the way and old number is impossible to be used. Doesn't affect credit score to get a new card. It should be done immediately just to give peace of mind that in a few days no matter Ebay's decision, they can't hurt you. In the meantime you can fight on knowing they can't steal from you in the end anyway.

RedFury

You asked him for the serial which to him might mean you don't know it. Tell him your in communication with Sony and if anything fishy transpires that Sony will ban the console with serial #XXXXX show him the serial in the message so he KNOWS that you do have it and take action. BEST case scenario he packs it up and sends you your console back and gets his refund. Your not worth the trouble, then he turns around and does it to someone else.

test_account

XP-39C²

Does this still work? I remember back in the days (like ~8 years ago), Paypal basically offered zero protection for buyers because the scammers just emptied their Paypal account and when i won a case, i just got a message basically saying "you're in the rights, but since the seller dont have any money in the account, theres no money to take from".

Vashetti

Banned
Thanks to a gaffer earlier in the thread whose post I adapted into this and just sent with the screenshots of my back-and-forth with Sony:

The console is not banned, I used it and it was working perfectly up until the time I shipped it, I believe you're lying and trying to scam me.

I have contacted Sony’s direct support, and they have confirmed to me that the console and serial number are not banned, and that you have in fact been online and used the console with no issue — which you can see in the screenshots attached. As you have not responded to both of my messages so far, I’m sure you’re perfectly aware of the scam you are trying to enact.

So here is what I'll do, since I personally verified before shipping it that it was in perfect working condition, as this was my console used on a daily basis. You can either accept you’ve made an illegitimate claim, back down and cancel your request for a refund, and we’ll forgive and forget.

Or, you can send me the console. Should you choose to go down this route, and you return a console that has a different serial number or has been tampered with, I will report you to eBay, Paypal, and the police for mail fraud. I have your name and address and mail fraud is a crime. Trust me, you don't want to go down that road for a mere £160. If everything is indeed as you claim, then your refund will be processed once my original console is returned 100% in the condition I sent it in and with the issues you described. Otherwise, legal action will be taken. Thank you for your time, and I hope you make the right decision.

Weevilone

Thanks to a gaffer earlier in the thread whose post I adapted into this and just sent with the screenshots of my back-and-forth with Sony:

You'll need to use actual USPS for shipping back/forth for the mail fraud threat to have any legitimacy. I always do this exactly for this reason. One of the times I got screwed I was able to get mail service suspended to the scammers residence. Resolution came pretty quickly afterward. It wound up being a minor and the parents were none too pleased.

Edit: Just realized you aren't in the USA so no idea really.

Does this still work? I remember back in the days (like ~8 years ago), Paypal basically offered zero protection for buyers because the scammers just emptied their Paypal account and when i won a case, i just got a message basically saying "you're in the rights, but since the seller dont have any money in the account, theres no money to take from".

They have no recourse to stop you blocking any source of external funding. I have never just kept funds sitting in PayPal so I'm not sure if they would try to put a hold on in that situation. I did recently sell a hard drive and PayPal would not release the funds for like 2 or 3 weeks to make sure the buyer was satisfied. That was new and very annoying. I would not have sold it if knew that would happen beforehand.

Weevilone

They have no recourse to stop you blocking any source of external funding. I have never just kept funds sitting in PayPal so I'm not sure if they would try to put a hold on in that situation. I did recently sell a hard drive and PayPal would not release the funds for like 2 or 3 weeks to make sure the buyer was satisfied. That was new and very annoying. I would not have sold it if knew that would happen beforehand.

They could easily send it to a collection agency, which would result in a credit hit. I don't know if they've done this before.

In the usa anyways..

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, i also sold something on Ebay like a year ago for some hundreds dollar, and i think my funds were hold up to 3 weeks then, so i'm curious if its this is a standard thing now or if its possible to empty out the Paypal account as soon as you get money from Ebay sales. I prefer that the money is being held, at least from a buyer's perspective. This way it works kinda like an Escrow service. It can be abused though, especially if things are sent without tracking, but still.

JSoup

Banned
It's not unlikely.

OP do not listen to these silly posts. You only doing yourself more harm removing your card. Once your account is in debt, PayPal will pass it onto the debt collection. Just need to google that.

Googling backs them up, though.
Sure, they've done it in the past and still do it, but it's the extreme minority of cases and normally for dollar amounts in the thousands, repeat offenders and cases where the financial institution used as a go between caused PayPal fees.

RedFox85

You need to get eBay involved ASAP. You have way too much proof that shows he is attempting a scam I can't fathom them not taking your side.

Rellik

It's not unlikely.

OP do not listen to these silly posts. You only doing yourself more harm removing your card. Once your account is in debt, PayPal will pass it onto the debt collection. Just need to google that.

They didn't with me. They gave me a negative balance and that was it. I'm in the UK.

Eventually I sorted it out myself to get use of my account again.

Top Bottom