• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

Sellers can no longer give buyers negative feedback. All they can do is send an invisible report to ebay, and sellers can block users with a certain amount of reports in a month. Stupid fucking policy.

lol. wild. every time i sell something on there, im nervous as hell. especially because i sell game systems mostly. but whats a better option? amazon?

Situations like this are why I stopped selling high-priced items on eBay years ago. They've become a horrible company.

Good luck to you, OP.

Lemstar

You absolutely are allowed to do those things. I don't even know how to respond to that.
Disabling returns on your listings prevents buyers from returning items because they changed their mind about their purchase, but it's not going to do anything if there's something (claimed to be) wrong with the item, as in OP's case.

You can set up buyer restrictions that restrict by feedback, but the highest value that you can filter out is -1 feedback, which I've never actually seen on eBay. There's no way of excluding buyers with "low" feedback outside of manually cancelling their bids, which I suppose isn't technically prohibited, just strongly discouraged. If one of them wins the auction, though, you don't have any recourse - you can either lie and cancel the order for a buyer's reason, which is obviously against policy, or you can cancel it for a seller's reason, which incurs a defect on your account.

I don't even know what "forcing insurance" means. Since all eBay/PayPal transactions are 100% guaranteed on the buyer's side, insurance exists so that you as the seller can reimburse the buyer without taking it in the face in the event that something goes awry during shipping. If you're increasing shipping costs so that the buyer's paying for it, there's nothing wrong with that, but it'll obviously reflect on your sales.

I think that after four years of eBay selling, my best advice is to list everything as BIN-only. Not only do buyout listings generally sell for more than auctions, they also have a 0% nonpayment rate since you can require payment at checkout.

Rellik

lol. wild. every time i sell something on there, im nervous as hell. especially because i sell game systems mostly. but whats a better option? amazon?

NeoGAF or locally on a website like Craigslist. Just make sure you're meeting in a safe place like a Police station.

BADCOMPLEX

Neo Member
I read your Update #2. So glad your taking action against this scum bag. This is one reason why I only sell to people I know or just give it away. Keep us informed on what happens. I'm really interested in the outcome.

TheRed

Reading this thread I'm really glad I didn't get scammed when I sold my Oculus Rift on EBay. Even made a bit of profit on it. I'll think twice before ever using it again.

Rellik

Reading this thread I'm really glad I didn't get scammed when I sold my Oculus Rift on EBay. Even made a bit of profit on it. I'll think twice before ever using it again.

Yeah, I sold a Wii U on eBay years ago (Also made a profit) and got lucky, but I wouldn't risk it again nowadays.

hesido

Don't write it down, take pictures. Maybe write you're eBay name on a post it and make sure it's in all the pics. Make sure you check in the box that says "seller does not allow refunds and returns" when making the auction. Also mention it in the description.
Take pictures of everything as you pack it up for shipping. Ship only with tracking+signature, keep the receipt. Basically you want tons of evidence because scams are so common and every little bit helps. As long as they don't claim the credit card was stolen(a guaranteed loss) you can try to fight back if being scammed.

Your advice is sound, but what keeps someone from taking tons of such pictures packing and sending something else?

I don't think such a problem is solvable without the aid of a third party which would receive the item, check it either thoroughly (extra paid service :) ) or simply make note of the serials etc. Checking the serials for example, could be handled by the shipment handler right at the door, perhaps. These could all be paid services.

Krakn3Dfx

This is why I sell through Amazon now, in addition to them taking a smaller piece of the pie than Ebay/Paypal combined does.

Good luck op.

Sushigod7

Man this is crazy good luck sounds like you did the right thing here and lots of homework to prove them wrong. Will watch for update =)

tronic307

Why can't the OP just refuse to accept the return? In this case it would be good to involve the authorities.
eBay would simply refund the buyer in that case. You can state "no returns accepted", but that just increases the chances that you'll wind up without your item or your money. The only thing you can do is politely approve the return and complain to eBay that the item was either tampered with or substituted with a defective item. The buyer would then be the first to break the rules. I have my Amazon returns set to auto-approve because the back and forth with the buyer is a waste of time when many times the buyer doesn't even ship the return for whatever reason and I'll never issue a refund if I don't receive the item intact. Scammers have been known to swap console shells so it might be wise to verify the serial electronically.

Lemstar

This is why I sell through Amazon now, in addition to them taking a smaller piece of the pie than Ebay/Paypal combined does.
This really isn't true and I don't understand why people keep perpetuating it.

Assuming that we're comparing basic selling plans here, Amazon charges 15% + $0.99 for most categories. eBay charges 12.9% +$0.30 for all categories, which is already less than Amazon, and can be reduced to 10.9% for top rated sellers (fairly easy to achieve).

If by "this" you mean OP's situation, Amazon will handle buyer problems exactly the same way as eBay. If anything, Amazon is even less likely to side with the seller.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Edit:

Assuming that we're comparing basic selling plans here, Amazon charges 15% + $0.99 for most categories. eBay charges 12.9% +$0.30 for all categories, which is already less than Amazon, and can be reduced to 10.9% for top rated sellers (fairly easy to achieve).

If by "this" you mean OP's situation, Amazon will handle buyer problems exactly the same way as eBay. If anything, Amazon is even less likely to side with the seller.

yep, have been scammed as an Amazon Seller 2 times, one with a switcheroo (sent Mario3D World, buyer claimed I sent him Mario Party for Wii) and another with a claim of item not delivered (despite having the freaking signature of the buyer) for FE Fates L.E. (a $200+ item)

Good luck op.

lol good luck with Amazon Seller (I am, well was, one)
Read the thread. Amazon, with their "great" A-Z Warranty, fucked a lot of us worse than eBay did.

Let's freakin' highlight this, shall we?

Amazon Seller program ain't better at all, in fact Amazon is even less likely to side with the seller

Good luck op.
I've only ever sold online once, through Amazon, and I got scammed out of a college textbook. This isn't an eBay, thing, it's a problem with selling online in general. Online retailers are more likely to side with the buyer, no matter how much evidence you have against them.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

I stopped selling stuff. I sold a Macbook Air once, buyers external HDD did not want to work with it and it was hell for me.

I'll ask friends if they want to buy it, or I'll gift it to family.

OP: you did really well :D!

Vashetti

Banned
Sorry for no update folks, but there's really nothing to say.

Radio silence from the buyer, no contact at all since they started the claim on Dec 3rd.

Next stage of the process starts on the 10th.

Darth Chief 117

Neo Member

Radio silence from the buyer, no contact at all since they started the claim on Dec 3rd.

Have you contacted eBay to keep them in the loop? Removed your card from PayPal?

Symphonia

Banned

I'd remove your card details from eBay if I were you, just to err on the side of caution.

jon_dojah

Banned
Buyers have 99% of the power in ebay transactions. They can scam and get away with it if you aren't prepared. Check the ebay forums and see a ton of posts over the years of sellers getting got.

I remember when Ebay let sellers leave negative feedback for buyers. At least then you could warn people of scammers. But then of course, asshole buyers would retaliate against buyers for giving them low scores they deserved and ruined it for everyone.

good on OP for sorting, this used to happen all the time when rrod consoles on ebay were being fixed and sold. always take a picture of your serial number.

kitsuneyo

If the buyer never responds, or doesn't respond by a certain date, have you won?

Fats

Neo Member
If the buyer never responds, or doesn't respond by a certain date, have you won?

Yes. This happened to me when I recently sold a Vectrex. Buyer didn't respond to Paypal within a certain amount of time, Paypal closed the case in my favour.

Please tell me you had that avatar before you made this thread? Either way it's very fitting haha.

I've been scammed on ebay as well and seeing your message to the buyer made happy haha.

Hope it all ends up well for you.

goonergaz

Yes. This happened to me when I recently sold a Vectrex. Buyer didn't respond to Paypal within a certain amount of time, Paypal closed the case in my favour.

Well it depends if when they look at the info at hand they decide to side with seller

Kuraudo

Banned
This sounds like a nightmare. eBay has become absolutely garbage at siding with buyers--if they step in to close a case they still charge the seller final value fees, so it costs them nothing to agree with the buyer.

Good luck, OP.

GazzaGSi

If you haven't already, please call ebay/PayPal and give them the case ID to run through it with someone. It's much easier to talk than waiting on responses to emails and tell them that you have all the evidence and statements from Sony that shows the console you sold isn't banned and has been online.

Rellik

If you haven't already, please call ebay/PayPal and give them the case ID to run through it with someone. It's much easier to talk than waiting on responses to emails and tell them that you have all the evidence and statements from Sony that shows the console you sold isn't banned and has been online.

And eBay will then ask for proof that the console Sony were talking about is the one he sent in the mail. Proof from the seller.

GazzaGSi

And eBay will then ask for proof that the console Sony were talking about is the one he sent in the mail. Proof from the seller.

When I've dealt with them in the passed talking to them greatly helps in your favour rather than the auto BS replies they spam out on email. Just making a suggestion to try and stack afew things in the OPs favour.

foxdvd

johnny5-need-input.png

I know OP said he would not have more info until the 10th...but these threads always fascinate me, and it is a rare treat to get to ride along from start to finish.

Not sure if this has been asked of OP...but have you sold a lot of items on ebay over the years? Have you had any other issues in that time?

This.

Been selling on both platforms since the late 90s with mostly no issues. But the few times I've had problems, eBay was much more of a help.

At least with eBay if you have delivery confirmation the process for you as a seller is over. At least that's how it's been for me. If it shows a package has been delivered you are good; if the buyer claims no receipt eBay may reimburse them but it won't be out of your own pocket.

For Amazon they will believe the buyer come hell or high water. I once sold my HD DVD 360 drive and had signature confirmation...that wasn't enough for Amazon when the buyer tried to scam me and say he never got it. And it's a situation where insurance wouldn't have helped because the post office wouldn't fulfill a nonrecepit claim if it had been signed for and has proof of delivery.

In the end, I emailed the Bezos corporate email (as had been suggested to me on the Amazon boards) and as a "one time exception" they gave me full credit for my sale...but it was enough to make me pause when ever selling there. At least with eBay they will back you up if it shows the package was delivered should the buyer claim non receipt.

Also eBay's fees are slightly lower and if you do a lot of sales and have good rep they give you 20% off your monthly fees. It certainly isn't perfect either but it's a hell of a lot better than Amazon.

Vashetti

Banned
It's nearly 1:30am in the UK now (the 10th) and nothing has changed on the Return page. I'm assuming I'll have to wait till later in the day to see any changes?

Also, still no contact from the buyer since he initially started the process.

Syriel

It's nearly 1:30am in the UK now (the 10th) and nothing has changed on the Return page. I'm assuming I'll have to wait till later in the day to see any changes?

eBay runs on Pacific Time (California).

It's still Friday at 5:30pm on the 9th for eBay.

You got a day to wait basically.

baconcow

Sounds like eBay should be tracking the console (and other important electronics) serial number from the point the sale is created to ensure something like this is difficult or impossible for scammers to achieve.

TSM

Sounds like eBay should be tracking the console (and other important electronics) serial number from the point the sale is created to ensure something like this is difficult or impossible for scammers to achieve.

They can't. The systems would have to be inspected between the seller and the buyer by ebay to verify the serial number. They can't go by seller info since it could be used to scam buyers. Just claim one serial number and ship another.

Shengar

We have several trading sites here and none of them lack the feature to give negative feedback to buyer. What the hell ebay was thinking?

thenameDS

It will change at the time when the case was originally opened.

0racle

Sorry OP. Regardless of what you say eBay will side with him. Your only hope is that he will pull out. He won't. Ignorance is bliss on his part. You seem too ready to prove your ignorance. To the uninformed (eBay) on items like this you sound guilty simply because your covering your ass too well, to some it will see like you where prepared for it which is suspicious.

Top Bottom