• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

Blastoise

Banned
OP

I can get you out of this, but it will require you to adjust your morals somewhat, and I wont tell you publicly, so best you PM me.... if you want to win

You can win any paypal dispute... and only to be used when dirty tricks are being used against you

Spicy

Here's some advice to the OP, don't back down even at this point. Keep escalating it if the worst does happen, find the ceos email or linked in and contact them that way. Or just guess the email of key eBay personnel. In my experience even when eBay does wrongfully back the buyer sending evidence and proof this way often results in action being taken that the call center don't have the power (or the interest) to do. Good luck!

FuturusX

OP

I can get you out of this, but it will require you to adjust your morals somewhat, and I wont tell you publicly, so best you PM me.... if you want to win

You can win any paypal dispute... and only to be used when dirty tricks are being used against you

Welp...Into the darkness we go.

Sorry you ending up with such a dick head buyer mate, Give all these new messages to ebay, as much as everyone says they side with the buyer as someone who has a store on there ebay do everything they can to side with the seller.
Trust me, give all this info to ebay, get on there live chat and explain everything, hell give them the proof it is not banned, that's enough, they will resolve it for you.
You have to get them involved, if you do not then it is pretty much case closed and he will win.

Here's some advice to the OP, don't back down even at this point. Keep escalating it if the worst does happen, find the ceos email or linked in and contact them that way. Or just guess the email of key eBay personnel. In my experience even when eBay does wrongfully back the buyer sending evidence and proof this way often results in action being taken that the call center don't have the power (or the interest) to do. Good luck!

This is what I did and once I contacted the right person I got a response and had the decision reversed in less than a day.

OP

Things just got sexy...

danowat

Banned
OP

Taken?, is that you Liam?

SURGEdude

Welp :(

Just woke up to this:

Plus this lovely message from the buyer:

(I had a death in the family resulting in a late delivery)

Plus this in the Return detail section:

That person sounds like a huge fucking idiot. I just wonder how people like that are able to survive in this complex world. Hope he doesn't break your PS4 before returning.

That person sounds like a huge fucking idiot. I just wonder how people like that are able to survive in this complex world. Hope he doesn't break your PS4 before returning.

The PS4 the guy is returning most likely isn't the one that was shipped. It's a banned console and keeping the shipped one. I'd certainly look at going the lawful route before doing anything underhand.

Guess I'm going to have to do a video when the console arrives.

Looking forward to my box of rocks.

If it's obvious from the package that it is NOT a PS4 then do not open it and call the police, have them open it for you.

This may seem like overkill but I had a guy try to scam me recently and because I opened the parcel to document the non existent contents ebay sided with the buyer because I had recieved "a parcel" and I had opened it.

I eventually got ebay to side with me after a lengthy appeals process but it was ridiculous to have to go through it.

You can and should report this person for fraud through the action fraud website, ebay will you require that you do this in order to appeal their refund decision.

People like this are scum, they know that they can get away with it for a long period of time due to how ebay works, the buyer is never at fault, the buyer cant have bad feedback so as long as the account is in good standing someone can go on a scam spree and their worst case scenario is that they end up with a pile of goods for free, best case scenario is they get the goods and a refund.

flozuki

Yeah, i've sold plenty of hardware on ebay and haven't ran into issues. Sure there are some shitty buyers and sellers but tue decent ones far outweigh the bad ones

Well, to demonstrate how horrible eBay can be for sellers. I am on eBay since 2002 and just recently received my first negative feedback. Reasons were:
- He didn´t like the price...,
- he thought the delivery costs were too much (they were clearly stated in the description and are the official asking price by DHL not me)
- the delivery took three days and he wrote it was my mistake while I have sent the item two hours after I received the money...).
- After I sent the item he decided we are living so close to each other that he wants to pick it up...has not even responded to me or the bonus items I included because christmas and stuff...

I also saw he was rumbling on his social media channels about how horrible eBay is and that he more or less announced a negative feedback before buying. A shame that someone like him plays the cool dude (pretty "famous" youtuber) Online while being not that nice at all.

Contacted eBay because his negative feedback is even against some eBay guidelines but they haven´t even replied with an automatic response. Well eBay, good luck for you in the future, won´t use you as a seller anymore.

More important: Sorry OP you have to deal with such an idiot.

Greddleok

OP

Now I'm curious about this. As someone who had an eBay business for a while I had to deal with a lot of shit heads trying to scam me.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
In a way I feel quite sorry for the scammer. How shitty must your situation be that you're willing to go to such lengths for £160 (or less if they had to buy a banned console).

The Dude

OP

As man, this is better than an episode of Secrets and Lies

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I agree with those suggesting you contact someone at eBay directly. Forward them your messages, your chats with Sony, etc...

It would be great if you could put them in contact with whomever you were dealing with at Sony.

It's disgusting that they sided with this creep. Makes me question what kind of idiots they have deciding these resolutions, and whether they honestly bothered to look over your case.

LifEndz

So sorry you're going through this, OP. Hopefully the console he sends you back is the one you sent him, but the buyer sounds like a complete ass so the chances of that seem low.

Alpha_eX

Been watching this thread and damn, feeling gutted for you OP. That person is a pile of shit, of you can some how turn the tables on him.

Ebay is trash.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
OP, please don't do anything illegal if that's what the poster is suggesting. Not saying he is, I'm saying if he is.

Not necessarily because of morals per se, but because it won't make your situation any better and you don't want to have another issue to deal with on top of the one you already have.

Also since you know his address save up a few pounds a week and in a month or so have a massive 1 tonne bag of gravel delivered to his front garden.

So I was thinking when he sends back the banned PS4, surely there will be some incriminating evidence on it?

I'm sure the idiot will leave something on it? Such as a download history that will predate the point at which you sent it to him?

Stranya

I agree with those suggesting you contact someone at eBay directly. Forward them your messages, your chats with Sony, etc...

It would be great if you could put them in contact with whomever you were dealing with at Sony.

It's disgusting that they sided with this creep. Makes me question what kind of idiots they have deciding these resolutions, and whether they honestly bothered to look over your case.
It's like they didn't even look at any of the details. As a lawyer, I'm astonished at this sort of shit.

AllGamer

OP

"I have a very particular set of skills"

SURGEdude

Well, to demonstrate how horrible eBay can be for sellers. I am on eBay since 2002 and just recently received my first negative feedback. Reasons were:
- He didn´t like the price...,
- he thought the delivery costs were too much (they were clearly stated in the description and are the official asking price by DHL not me)
- the delivery took three days and he wrote it was my mistake while I have sent the item two hours after I received the money...).
- After I sent the item he decided we are living so close to each other that he wants to pick it up...has not even responded to me or the bonus items I included because christmas and stuff...

I also saw he was rumbling on his social media channels about how horrible eBay is and that he more or less announced a negative feedback before buying. A shame that someone like him plays the cool dude (pretty "famous" youtuber) Online while being not that nice at all.

Contacted eBay because his negative feedback is even against some eBay guidelines but they haven´t even replied with an automatic response. Well eBay, good luck for you in the future, won´t use you as a seller anymore.

Reminds me of when I sold my iPhone 5 to a person who I don't believe was actually trying to scam me but was too stupid to operate the device. They claimed it kept dropping wifi/network and I jumped through hoops time and time again before finally just having them return it. Got it back and it was the same phone and worked without issue. At that point they claimed they hadn't gotten the refund I issued and I realized quickly it was because they couldn't figure out how to use paypal.

Having communicated with them many times what otherwise might have seemed really shady instead damaged my confidence in humanity in a totally different way. To put it bluntly, a decent portion of the world is made up of imbeciles, and among them are a large portion who don't even realize it.

Dealing with those people is maddening experience.

Just to say sorry OP. The buyer is clearly a massive fucking asshole.

Not only that, based on his spelling and grammar, doesn't seem very bright either. Unless English is not his first language, of course. But even then, he's still a dick.

All I can do is offer my sympathy, OP. I feel for you, I really do, but I have no expertise in dealing with these matters (I only ever buy from eBay, I never sell), and unlike Lowrys I'm not a lawyer so I can't give advice along those lines, either.

Keep your head up and keep the fight going man.

Wow I need a translation for that message. I barely understood anything and from the little I managed to gather, this guy is up to no good.

I've sold many items on ebay and never ran across any problems. I guess this is just an unfortunate case.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
A little advice OP:

- Record yourself opening the returned package. Start with it sealed, document it, state your ebay name, show the tracking number on the video. Record yourself opening it. Just so you have proof in case you get back a console that was not yours or something else entirely like a box of newspaper clippings. You don't need to post the video here, but you may need to show eBay, the police, news sites, etc.

This will help to at least provide some proof. You could send it out to news outlets, gaming outlets. Companies tend to take notice if something goes viral or hits a couple sites. It may or may not, but always good to have the ammo in case.

- If you get back something you didn't send, file a police report, and send it to eBay. They tend to take action when a police report is filed.

- Contact eBay with photos of an item that wasn't yours if that's what happens. It will probably take an arm and a leg for them to finally get it, but eventually they probably will.

-Also, in case of the worst, file a poor rating on the Better Business Bureau and explain what happened. Companies take this seriously, and they may contact you about it.

Cover as many bases as you can to give yourself the best chance. No guarantees, but as John Wooden said "Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail"

lunch_box

This fucking sucks op! Really feel for you.

At this point, if he does return a different/banned console I would contact Sony and the police and advise your ps4 has been pinched (which it effectively has). At least this way the thieving scum won't have a fully operational console as Sony should ban it.

I know it's not the ideal outcome, but it's something!

Good luck with it all

Tevious

OP

jb43wuwkw5mkvbtzg.jpg

Hope it all works out for you, OP.

Vitor711

As someone who recently came out of a dispute OK - eBay will default to that message. If you call them directly (use the support number) they will review the case. Don't leave it up to the automated e-mail system.

Keep pushing. Honestly, it sounds like the buyer may be too stupid to scam you anyway and probably just has a strict NAT or something. Hopefully he returns the correct console but, if not, video the serial number and re-open the dispute with ebay.

You have enough evidence that they will reconsider, trust me. I know people are saying eBay sucks here but if you engage (politely) with someone over the phone, they do actually help.

The Dude

Wow I need a translation for that message. I barely understood anything and from the little I managed to gather, this guy is up to no good.

I've sold many items on ebay and never ran across any problems. I guess this is just an unfortunate case.

Yea same, I been selling since 2000 and many big items, 500 to 1200 or so and never had an issue. I just always made sure to take pics, document serial numbers, everything and anything to cover my tracks.

As someone who was looking to eBay to sale a good chunk of my snes, genesis, and nintendo 64 games this thread has my seriously second guessing

SURGEdude

As someone who was looking to eBay to sale a good chunk of my snes, genesis, and nintendo 64 games this thread has my seriously second guessing

I've had better luck selling stuff on Amazon Marketplace frankly. Amazon customer service alone makes the experience nothing like the hell that is dealing with eBay and paypal.

Are you selling those for cash?

The reason why I'm asking is because when I was selling some classic games a few years ago, I sold them to a mom and pop classic games shop that had some decent trade in prices. But again, I have a strict personal value of my time (and peace of mind), and I won't go out of my way to squeeze a couple of more dollars by selling things on eBay.

Just a thought.

I've had better luck selling stuff on Amazon Marketplace frankly. Amazon customer service alone makes the experience nothing like the hell that is dealing with eBay and paypal.
What's amazon's cut? Curious if you have sold actual retro (I feel old thinking of them that way) games/consoles?

I know this thread is forever long, but I wanted to make it known that it happens a lot. I sold a perfectly new (less than 5 hrs on it) alienware alpha console to someone, they swapped the guts for a broken one and got a full refund and I got a non functioning alienware with USB ports pushed in and malfunctioning hardware.

Not only that eBay made me pay the fee to have the buyer return the item, and I shipped for free per their recommendation that I would get a higher bid.

Lost the console, and ~$30 in shipping.

$30 to basically give something away.

That was the last time I decided I would sell anything on eBay.

I basically only do Amazon trade-ins or craigslist.

It can be trash for buyers too.

Yea. One time I bought the Resident Evil soundtrack set. The seller ended up selling me not what was pictured (the official set from Capcom), but rather a knock off set from China.

I promptly returned it and got my money back, but based on the communication the seller was actually polite and apologized profusely; it seems he had gotten the bootleg set when he bought it from somebody else, but didn't know what to look for.

BigEmil

eBay have ruled in the buyers favour WITH THE BUYERS SCUMMY MESSAGES attached.

eBay at this point are worse than the buyer.
Yeah but I doubt this they read this latest one after the thing was done, this message alone shows how dodgy the buyer is

Top Bottom