• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

Ludono

Buyer's feedback is meaningless since seller can't leave negative feedback.

This.

I used to use eBay a shit ton back in the day but over the years they've absolutely fucked sellers harder and harder and letting more and more scammers get away with it that I just gave up using the site altogether.

Vashetti

Banned
The time's past and no option has changed in the return detail section.

I've just spoken to chat and they said that should the buyer not respond at all, the return request will time out after 30 days from their original request (2nd of December).

Or, I can escalate the case right now for eBay to review all the details and make a decision.

What should I do GAF?

I'm thinking the buyer's silence may be a good sign and they may be spooked by my messages and evidence screenshots, and it may be best to let things lie for now and hope it just times out.

Symphonia

Banned
Given eBay's past with handling escalated cases, I'd just leave it for the 30-day period to expire. If the scammer was adamant he'd win, he would've responded by now. I think the old threat of legal action worked in your favour.

Vashetti

Banned
Given eBay's past with handling escalated cases, I'd just leave it for the 30-day period to expire. If the scammer was adamant he'd win, he would've responded by now. I think the old threat of legal action worked in your favour.

Yeah this is my thinking too.

I suffer with anxiety and depression and take medication for it, and this whole incident has done a number on me, I just want it to be over.

I suffer with anxiety and depression and take medication for it, and this whole incident has done a number on me, I just want it to be over.
It would do a number on me too. I don't think you did anything wrong, it's not your fault. Just shitty luck and shitty people.

Yup. Just let it time out. If the buyer didn't respond to your last message, consider yourself lucky and just wait it out.

Alternatively I would monitor his account until this is over to see if he puts up a PS4 on eBay and if he does - have someone else report it to eBay as fraudulent if he lists a serial number.

Symphonia

Banned

I know how you feel. I'm sure you remember my unfortunate experience in BritGAF with eBay and selling my iPhone only to get ripped off by a Nigerian prince. That one knocked my anxiety about something rotten.

Don't write it down, take pictures. Maybe write you're eBay name on a post it and make sure it's in all the pics. Make sure you check in the box that says "seller does not allow refunds and returns" when making the auction. Also mention it in the description.
Take pictures of everything as you pack it up for shipping. Ship only with tracking+signature, keep the receipt. Basically you want tons of evidence because scams are so common and every little bit helps. As long as they don't claim the credit card was stolen(a guaranteed loss) you can try to fight back if being scammed.

I just sold it and will definitely take some pics and be able track it after sending it away on monday.
I did a factory reset and deleted all the content but don't I also have to deactivate it? Or is that done automatically when factory resetting the console?

EDIT:

Went to my PSN account on the playstation site and deactivated all my Playstations consoles. Now I'll just have to re-activate my PS4 Pro and I'm set, right?

I just sold it and will definitely take some pics and be able track it after sending it away on monday.
I did a factory reset and deleted all the content but don't I also have to deactivate it? Or is that done automatically when factory resetting the console?

EDIT:

Went to my PSN account on the playstation site and deactivated all my Playstations consoles. Now I'll just have to re-activate my PS4 Pro and I'm set, right?
The web deactivation works once every 6 months IIRC, but yes, just reactivate the new Pro as your primary.

BibiMaghoo

You have done all you can, and made it a hassle for them to fuck you over. Chill now, wait it out. No point dwelling on it until something else changes.

BradleyUK

When selling a PS4 or PS3 on ebay you should always make a recording you signing into the console and have a newspaper ready to confirm the date & time of recording.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I hope everything goes your way OP. Selling anything on eBay is a roll of the dice hoping the buyer isn't looking to screw you out of your item.

I feel bad for you OP, but yea at this point try to wait it out, and try to relax a bit. This would do a number on pretty much anybody, I'm sure, but as a previous poster said, no point in dwelling on it right now. You've done the best you could with this shitty hand you've been dealt, so be happy about that. We're all rooting for you, man.

When selling a PS4 or PS3 on ebay you should always make a recording you signing into the console and have a newspaper ready to confirm the date & time of recording.

My humble perspective: This is starting to get on the paranoid side of things, for something that may not even serve as proof (as Weevilone mentions). That's why, if I sell my consoles, I sell them to mainstream stores (Best Buy, my local mom and pop classic games shop) because the amount of headaches potentially involved with the likes of eBay and Craigslist is not worth the extra $20 or so I can get by selling them via those venues. I rather have the peace of mind and ease of selling them to a reputable store.

I know lots of people have success stories selling them via Craigslist and eBay, and for some reason or another they may need the cash, instead of store credit. But personally, I rarely ever sell consoles, and if I do it's for an upgrade to a different console; in that case, store credit makes sense. I just wait for a good trade in deal and go from there.

SugarDave

I've recently sold an unused Xbox One Elite console without the Elite controller and I'm getting a bit concerned about being burned too. Everything was sorted about 3 weeks ago and I have confirmation it was delivered and signed for, but I received a message just the other day from the buyer asking if it had been sent. I kept my reply simple so they had nothing to use against me, telling them the tracking number confirms it's been dropped off and I haven't heard back since.

I didn't jot down the serial number either (mainly because one of my selling points was that the console hasn't been unwrapped at all) but I just hope I get positive feedback before long and can breathe a sigh of relief. I'm probably not going to use eBay for selling anything more expensive than a game from now on.

Ric Flair

Banned
I would never use eBay to sell anything after all these horror stories I've heard on GAF lately. Sorry you're going through this, man! Hopefully you scared him enough not to try anything shady

My advice is to leave it until it expires. The buyer's silence sounds like guilt and they probably won't pursue this. Don't for the love of God escalate it to eBay, they will most likely (if not definitely) find it in buyer's favour.

Weevilone

it wont, that's the ID of the console, so you can in fact prove that was your console

And how does that help when buyer sends EBay a photo of a totally different, banned console serial number and tells them that's what he received?

its always hard to win other guy is prepared to lie about everything.

Aomber

OP if you have anxiety I'd avoid making any transactions like this in the future. I'm the same and totally avoid selling online for the same reason, not worth all the hassle.

Sorry you had to deal with this anyway.

otapnam

The time's past and no option has changed in the return detail section.

I've just spoken to chat and they said that should the buyer not respond at all, the return request will time out after 30 days from their original request (2nd of December).

Or, I can escalate the case right now for eBay to review all the details and make a decision.

What should I do GAF?

I'm thinking the buyer's silence may be a good sign and they may be spooked by my messages and evidence screenshots, and it may be best to let things lie for now and hope it just times out.

I sold an iPhone 3 once where someone tried to either scam or didn't understand how to setup the phone.

Either way, after I replied with evidence that the phone was working- the buyer stopped replying as well. (My funds were being held and were eventually released)

Hopefully the same is happening to you op

horkrux

I would never use eBay to sell anything after all these horror stories I've heard on GAF lately. Sorry you're going through this, man! Hopefully you scared him enough not to try anything shady

Should I make a thread about how I successfully sold my stuff on ebay? :^)

I mean this thread is about horror stories and people would rather share their negative experiences than the positive ones here. It's not like ebay was an absolute cesspool where sellers are being scammed left and right.
But it could also go the other way with sellers hiding stuff that isn't working right. Like I bought an NTSC BC PS3 model a few months back and nowhere was it mentioned that the drive wouldn't suck discs in by itself unless you pushed them all the way in. I took it upon myself to fix it, because you rarely find working ones here in Europe, but I didn't find out until much later that the system would not play BD movies. No biggy since I have other systems for that, but had I known that earlier I would have definitely returned it.

I've bought plenty of consols on ebay though and most of them were as described, so it's an outlier.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

People only post horror stories.
But there are tens of thousands of auctions closing every day.

I've sold thousands of dollars worth of items on there and haven't had an issue with some common sense and I've used it since 2002.

Syriel

But it could also go the other way with sellers hiding stuff that isn't working right. Like I bought an NTSC BC PS3 model a few months back and nowhere was it mentioned that the drive wouldn't suck discs in by itself unless you pushed them all the way in. I took it upon myself to fix it, because you rarely find working ones here in Europe, but I didn't find out until much later that the system would not play BD movies. No biggy since I have other systems for that, but had I known that earlier I would have definitely returned it.

Are you sure it won't play BD movies? And that it's not just a region issue (NTSC PS3 in Europe)?

Because the only PS3 units that should refuse to play BD movies (while playing game discs just fine) are developer units.

If the BD drive laser had going bad to the point that it couldn't read BD movie discs, then it shouldn't be able to read BD game discs. I've heard of the BD laser failing and PS3 units just reading CD and DVD media, but not a split where games play but movies don't.

I'd be curious to know the specific issue.

Vashetti

Banned
Welp :(

Just woke up to this:

"Dear vashetti,

We're writing to let you know that we've reviewed the details of this case and reached a final decision. We've asked the buyer to return the item to you for a full refund.

Details:
Decision:
This case has been decided in the buyer's favour.

Comments:
The buyer has been asked to return the item to you. Once tracking shows the item has been delivered back to you, the buyer will be issued with a refund. If the buyer uses an eBay postage label to return the item, you will be required to pay the postage and will see this charge on your invoice."

Plus this lovely message from the buyer:

"Have my address haha mail fraud your sick in the head. I had I wrote to you first and replied haha. Your a idiot who clearly doesn't no shit. Want to act clever and tell me you know my address. Well when i have to send the console back il will have your address clever little man haha hope the dead guys really dead. Wasnt that you excuse for sending a week after payment. I paid for w working days delivery not a week"

(I had a death in the family resulting in a late delivery)

Plus this in the Return detail section:

"Cant not sort things out with this person have spent hours on the phome to network provider telling me its not them and that somy have banned it. Im using mu internet now to write to you so clear its not my internet thats not working have taken to a shop had been told it been banned online and i can eiter buy a new one or oay tjem to put i new mother borad and stuff in so it will be reconosed as a different console. I havent done and have had to go buy a new one"

RenditMan

Banned

Just woke up to this:

Sigh, I'll never use ebay because of this.

Do you have the serial number and proof, because the next step is to go to the police I guess and tell them the guy is threatening you.

BigEmil

Just woke up to this:

If he didn't send you back the exact PS4 and all tell eBay to read his latest messages etc

Just woke up to this:

Being honest those kind of replies pretty much confirms your fears that the guy is scum and scamming you. He knows what he has done and it's certainly not right.

Sorry to hear about all this, will be interesting to see what machine you get back and if possible I'd certainly escalate it to the authorities.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
People only post horror stories.
But there are tens of thousands of auctions closing every day.

I've sold thousands of dollars worth of items on there and haven't had an issue with some common sense and I've used it since 2002.

Yeah, i've sold plenty of hardware on ebay and haven't ran into issues. Sure there are some shitty buyers and sellers but tue decent ones far outweigh the bad ones

Vamp

I don't understand why can you just remove all uour payments from ebay and get a new credit card? How will they take money from you? Also dont accept the package at all.

EmiPrime

I sold two consoles through ebay this year and nothing went wrong but yeah, it was a little heart in mouth waiting for the feedback to come in (I had to chase one of them up over it just for my peace of mind).

Give ebay a call. They're not so bad over the phone.

Tak3n

Banned
OP

I can get you out of this, but it will require you to adjust your morals somewhat, and I wont tell you publicly, so best you PM me.... if you want to win

You can win any paypal dispute... and only to be used when dirty tricks are being used against you

Sorry you are taking this L. I'm gonna continue using eBay though and others shouldn't let this completely deter them either. Still the best way to sell imo.

edit* All hope is not lost. I would see what the person above me has to say. I have "lost" a case and still ended up winning in the end so it's worth a shot.

Vashetti

Banned
OP

I can get you out of this, but it will require you to adjust your morals somewhat, and I wont tell you publicly, so best you PM me.... if you want to win

You can win any paypal dispute... and only to be used when dirty tricks are being used against you

PM me please

Top Bottom