• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

I feel sorry for OP. Ebay can be hell if you suffer from anxiety and depression. Too many assholes and idiots that can ruin your day.
Something like this happened to me too, in the past.

Gong

Sorry OP, I hoped it wouldn't end like this. Karma's a bitch, this piece of shit has a big old share of it heading his way...

I know this thread is forever long, but I wanted to make it known that it happens a lot. I sold a perfectly new (less than 5 hrs on it) alienware alpha console to someone, they swapped the guts for a broken one and got a full refund and I got a non functioning alienware with USB ports pushed in and malfunctioning hardware.

Not only that eBay made me pay the fee to have the buyer return the item, and I shipped for free per their recommendation that I would get a higher bid.

Lost the console, and ~$30 in shipping.

$30 to basically give something away.

That was the last time I decided I would sell anything on eBay.

I basically only do Amazon trade-ins or craigslist.

Sorry to hear that, man. Did you try to dispute it?

Fliesen

I'm not. It's eBay being eBay.

Got to protect that buyer, and only the buyer.

well, to be fair, that's the 'reasonable' thing to do.

If people put up millions of auctions, yet no transaction of funds ever happens (because buyers lost trust in the platform), ebay would be dead.

The buyer is infinitely more valuable to ebay than the seller.

It's why i never sell shit on ebay, but only on our local craigslist equivalent.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I wouldn't let this thread deter people from selling on eBay if that's what you really want to do. I mean, you can get screwed in any marketplace on the planet as a seller or a buyer. You can get screwed on craigslist, or other auction sites, or etsy, or online retailers. The percentages are very small either way, so to me it always comes down to a philosophical choice or a life choice if that's how you want to put it. You are either ok taking the risks or you aren't. Either way is fine if that's what you choose. Just know this is a small percentage, it's just that these stories stand out, because people don't start threads going "Hey guys, just sold an item on eBay and I didn't get ripped off." People only make threads about negative experiences, so it skews perception.

Rellik

I'd imagine they would automatically rule in favour of the scammer if they did. How would they know it's been gutted? Sane way OP is about to get a box of rocks or a different broken PS4 back. Ebay will see it shipped and arrived and move on.

I've never had anyone try scamming me on eBay and have had quite a few transactions including my used 20th Anniversary PS4.

I'm fully aware that it does go on though and try and avoid eBay for high priced items, generally looking at Gumtree or even Facebook to sell those as the fees that eBay/Paypal impose are close to theft in themselves.

OP

I can get you out of this, but it will require you to adjust your morals somewhat, and I wont tell you publicly, so best you PM me.... if you want to win

You can win any paypal dispute... and only to be used when dirty tricks are being used against you

Can't wait for OP to come back tomorrow saying his issue has "been taken care of"

lol

Sorry op.....sounds like your either about to get a) a brick in a PS4 box b) a banned console back c) a PS3

As long as he uses a tracking number your shit out of luck....if it were me I'd show up at that address unannounced with a bat

The Dude

I wouldn't let this thread deter people from selling on eBay if that's what you really want to do. I mean, you can get screwed in any marketplace on the planet as a seller or a buyer. You can get screwed on craigslist, or other auction sites, or etsy, or online retailers. The percentages are very small either way, so to me it always comes down to a philosophical choice or a life choice if that's how you want to put it. You are either ok taking the risks or you aren't. Either way is fine if that's what you choose. Just know this is a small percentage, it's just that these stories stand out, because people don't start threads going "Hey guys, just sold an item on eBay and I didn't get ripped off." People only make threads about negative experiences, so it skews perception.

Exactly, for the hundreds of thousands of items that get sold day in and out these stand out simply because nobody reports the many successful sales or purchases

SURGEdude

I know this thread is forever long, but I wanted to make it known that it happens a lot. I sold a perfectly new (less than 5 hrs on it) alienware alpha console to someone, they swapped the guts for a broken one and got a full refund and I got a non functioning alienware with USB ports pushed in and malfunctioning hardware.

Not only that eBay made me pay the fee to have the buyer return the item, and I shipped for free per their recommendation that I would get a higher bid.

Lost the console, and ~$30 in shipping.

$30 to basically give something away.

That was the last time I decided I would sell anything on eBay.

I basically only do Amazon trade-ins or craigslist.

WTF, and I thought I'd had some issues with eBay.

Rellik

I've never had anyone try scamming me on eBay and have had quite a few transactions including my used 20th Anniversary PS4.

I'm fully aware that it does go on though and try and avoid eBay for high priced items, generally looking at Gumtree or even Facebook to sell those as the fees that eBay/Paypal impose are close to theft in themselves.

I'm in the same boat. I sold a Wii U on eBay and even managed a small profit despite the cut they took from me, and it went through fine. But i wouldn't sell a high priced item on ebay ever again. Too many horror stories and no protection if I come across a scammer.

Yea. One time I bought the Resident Evil soundtrack set. The seller ended up selling me not what was pictured (the official set from Capcom), but rather a knock off set from China.

I promptly returned it and got my money back, but based on the communication the seller was actually polite and apologized profusely; it seems he had gotten the bootleg set when he bought it from somebody else, but didn't know what to look for.

My most recent and probably final transaction on eBay was the purchase of a discontinued model of monitor in like-new condition.

The seller either sold me a broken unit or unintentionally shipped it with poor packaging. I'm inclined to think the latter and they were pleasant to deal with, but a good monitor was lost because they cheaped out and used bubble wrap and newspaper.

Tak3n

Banned
I have updated the OP via PM...up to him now, I will also reply to all the PM's I now have.....

the thing with paypal the earlier in the dispute the easier it is to shutdown, what I can not do if get him out of a credit card charge back....(which is a weapon scammers also turn to if they lose a dispute) as I have found out that they trump all with paypal... and have fucked me over in the past...

also as I said to OP only do what I said if you are being scammed, not to be used for honest issues... and does not mean a 100% victory, as paypal can and do make the most stupid decisions.... and he is at the end with a decision allready been made, so OP is now about to embark into the dark world of disputes....good luck, you have a bit of work to do

Sorry op.....sounds like your either about to get a) a brick in a PS4 box b) a banned console back c) a PS3

As long as he uses a tracking number your shit out of luck....if it were me I'd show up at that address unannounced with a bat

There is a pretty good chance he is gonna receive his PS4 with his serial number but with the swapped out motherboard of the banned PS4, if the buyer is a good scammer anyways.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Yup. Absolutely. You're not fucking me like that.

I have your address and more than enough money to make it worth my while to knock on their door.

GHG

Gold Member
There is a pretty good chance he is gonna receive his PS4 with his serial number but with the swapped out motherboard of the banned PS4, if the buyer is a good scammer anyways.

This is what I think will happen based on the scammers messages, he's already taken it to some place where he can complete the scam.

Hope the OP can still find a way out of this.

Tak3n

Banned
Can't wait for OP to come back tomorrow saying his issue has "been taken care of"

lol

all I have done is shown the OP how to win an appeal.... he is at the ass end of this, so all gloves are off, unfortunately it now entails some work on his part

Mascot

Lots of advice here about making an 'unboxing' video of the returned console, but I'm not sure how much good that would do. The OP could be accused of refilling the package with rocks and resealing it before making the video. A better idea might be to tell whoever delivers it that mail fraud is suspected and ask him/her to witness you opening it in front of them as soon as it's delivered. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two. My local postwoman is great and I'm sure would be only too happy to do this.

Good luck, OP. The scammer is obviously a subnormal fucknugget so take solace in the fact that he'll probably win a Darwin award soon in comedic circumstances.

Wiped89

Welp :(

Just woke up to this:

Plus this lovely message from the buyer:

(I had a death in the family resulting in a late delivery)

Plus this in the Return detail section:

You have his address. Fucking go there. Take back up. Take back your PS4. He won't be expecting that.

I had a friend who sold a dvd player on eBay and the guy tried to scam for a refund claiming it never arrived. My friend drove 2 hours to his house, knocked on the door, said 'I've come for my dvd player', went in, sure enough it was there, unplugged it and left.
Never heard from him again after that.

You have his address. Fucking go there. Take back up. Take back your PS4. He won't be expecting that.

I had a friend who sold a dvd player on eBay and the guy tried to scam for a refund claiming it never arrived. My friend drove 2 hours to his house, knocked on the door, said 'I've come for my dvd player', went in, sure enough it was there, unplugged it and left.

You fucking moron.

The buyer disputed me for the return because I told him it was basically new and wouldn't do a return after his initial PM that it was broken. The buyer won. Nothing for me to dispute. I opened the returned parcel. End of the story.

Worst part was he swapped internals so serial matched. Warranty stickers were broken though. Clearly a gut/swap.

I don't have much advise for you OP, however Ignore this....at all costs,what a horrible suggestion.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
If everything goes wrong, maybe pay him a visit to "discuss" the issue ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tak3n

Banned

Don't do that...that right there is a police offence, and he is mightily lucky he did not get arrested

Don't die over a PS4. Too risky. Jail, injury, death all real outcomes of this.

Valentus

So, the tl;dr of all this thread could be: "never sell on ebay, always buy on ebay"?

Im really sorry for what OP has been through. I hope he can get at least his original PS4 back.

Alpha_eX

OP has anxiety and depression, why are people suggesting he go to the persons address? What a terrible and dangerous idea.

The Dude

This is how bad things happen to stupid people, terrible advice.

There comes a point where you just gotta cut your losses and learn from the situation

That gibberish especially the part where he took it to a "shop" and was told if they swapped motherboards it would unban it shows his intent.The fact he knows about motherboard swapping means he is gonna A. Swap motherboards and return your console with his banned motherboard installed or B. send you back his whole banned console.

Hell he might not even bother switching serial numbers since ebay has enboldened him.You can either remove everything from Paypal and ebay before you get the PS4 back or try a chargeback.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
OP has anxiety and depression, why are people suggesting he go to the persons address? What a terrible and dangerous idea.

Which is why he likely wont do something like this anyway....the other poster just posted from his experience how a similar situation played out. No need to insult someone for this.

mekes

I don't sell on eBay anymore, I do however buy on occasion. I sold a perfect condition rare disc based game and had one sent back with scratches. I had the drawn out process like you have had an eBay just sided with the scammer. Best of luck getting the resolution you want, I don't believe all options are spent just yet.

There's no need to do anything illegal.

Try calling PayPal and speak to a human see if they can do anything.

If that fails, go public with the story tell a newspaper/journalist. With all that the buyer said to you, you'd have everyone on your side and PayPal could probably do without people mocking you through their service. Not great for their image.

Go to citizens advice bureau and maybe think about taking them to small claims court.

WITHE1982

Or more commonly known as "how to get shot in the head".

Just read through the thread and it really is terrifying how many complete and utter scumbags there are out there. I've sold on Ebay a few times but only small ticket items and so far everything has been fine. It seems as though the OP has been completely done over and then hung out to dry by Ebay.

TBH if it were me I'd cancel my card etc but you'll only end up with more fees and then be hasted by Ebay for a few years.

It really does suck for the OP but hopefully this serves as a bit of a cautionary tale to anyone selling expensive stuff online. Just remember that people can and will act like pond scum.

Alpha_eX

Which is why he likely wont do something like this anyway....the other poster just posted from his experience how a similar situation played out. No need to insult someone for this.

Who am I insulting? A few people here are suggesting going to an address to settle a dispute, which is a terrible and dangerous idea.

I am not insulting anyone, just pointing out a terrible idea when I see it.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Who am I insulting? A few people here are suggesting going to an address to settle a dispute, which is a terrible and dangerous idea.

I am not insulting anyone, just pointing out a terrible idea when I see it.

I was talking about CyclopsRock response lol.

And yeah obv. its not the right solution most of the time - it depends on where you live, probably wouldnt do something like that in the States where many people have access to a Gun.

Lesson I'm taking from this is, yeah, taking it to a store gets you a shitty deal in terms of price, but I think if I ever need to trade stuff in, I'm going that path.

Symphonia

Banned
Ho...ly...shit. What a despicable human being
Not just the scammer, but eCunts for allowing it. They even forwarded that scummy message so know exactly what was said. Vashetti, I'd escalate this to trading standards, as eBay clearly shows signs of supporting fraudulent activity.

SenkiDala

It's always like this on those websites. They need to satisfy the buyer more than the seller, it's the buyer who bring the most money. :/

In France we have eBay but also a website called Priceminister (belongs to Rakuten), which is almost same except that there is no bids, and the website take a HUGE part of the money (they take 20% minimum of the benefits, on 100€ they keep at least 20€).
I remember selling Valkyrie Profile Lenneth on this website, and the buyer said "hey this item is not the collector edition I want a refund", so the website yelled at me, and I said "but I never said it was the collector edition, I even added pictures of the item, and I don't even think there's a collector edition of this...", but still they told me "ok but the seller is dissapointed, we can't let that happen on our website"... So the buyer won. :D

big_z

OP why didn't you select the no returns and refunds option on your ebay listing?
Is this dispute open with paypal or ebay itself?

if its paypal as soon as the package arrives you instantly lose with no way to open a new case against the buyer. im not sure if it works that way with ebay itself. you need to start sending evidence now and forward the messages hes sent you. if you can talk to a human and make sure they hold the case file open after the package arrives to give you time to verify the item.

Make sure you record yourself getting the package, opening it and checking the serial number on the console with the one sony provided. In the off chance he does send back the original console check the back to see if the warranty stickers have been tampered with because this dipshit might be smart enough to swapped shells. You also need to plug it in to verify it still works. Do not cut away when recording if possible.

WITHE1982

OP

I can get you out of this, but it will require you to adjust your morals somewhat, and I wont tell you publicly, so best you PM me.... if you want to win

You can win any paypal dispute... and only to be used when dirty tricks are being used against you

I now picturing you as Liam Neeson from Taken (or is that Tak3n)

1.jpg

Received a message just now that the buyer has taken it to the Post Office and sent it back to me.

If I were you i'd just not even panic. Fuck, where does he live? Make it public here and i'm sure you could get a hell of a lot of people here to just go with you. Fucking prick.

Either that or we all just spam eBay or take it to the news. This is a ridiculous act.

membran

Just woke up to this:

Plus this lovely message from the buyer:

(I had a death in the family resulting in a late delivery)

At this point, I hope he just misused ebay / your console as a free rental device for playing through a shoplifted copy of Uncharted 4 or whatever. Fingers crossed, OP.

Top Bottom