• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

BibiMaghoo

Sorry it didn't work out OP. There are some proper fuckers out there. I hope he at least does return the console you sent him. Maybe he just thinks it is banned for whatever reason. May still have a reasonable ending. I hope so.

Fbh

At this point, do we really know that the OP is getting scammed ? Let's be honest, the buyer doesn't seem to be really smart, it could be one of those people that says something is broken because he can't properly use it ...

Based on my anecdotal experience from working 5 years in retail, what you are describing is easily around 20% of people who buy electronic devices (and I swear I'm not being hyperbolic).

Once had a guy trying to return a Ps4 because it "wouldn't allow him to create an online account" because he never got the confirmation email. I ask him for his email address and he is like "well the Ps4 told me my new address for this account is johndoe(his name)@example.com"
Then I ask him if he could log into his email to have a look and he just goes to google and types hisname@example.com and goes like "see? Can't even access the email account"

So crossing my fingers for you OP that's it's just something like that

Based on my anecdotal experience from working 5 years in retail, what you are describing is easily around 20% of people who buy electronic devices (and I swear I'm not being hyperbolic).

Once had a guy trying to return a Ps4 because it "wouldn't allow him to create an online account" because he never got the confirmation email. I ask him for his email address and he is like "well the Ps4 told me my new address for this account is johndoe(his name)@example.com"
Then I ask him if he could log into his email to have a look and he just goes to google and types hisname@example.com and goes like "see? Can't even access the email account"

So crossing my fingers for you OP that's it's just something like that
Read the thread.

OP knows the buyer was using his console online as he had a discussion with a Sony rep to check if his serial number was active. It is and the buyer is using it claiming it is banned.

He's being scammed.

Full-time eBay "Top Rated Seller" here.

Is it still possible to cancel a sale after a buyer wins or selects buy it now? I'm wondering because back when I sold stuff on eBay I would always cancel the transaction if the buyer had little or very negative feedback.

It's actually easier to do than before, almost a 1-click cancellation process. BUT eBay will penalize you if you do it too much. For example, you can't get Top Rated Seller status if you do it to more than 0.50% of your sales. And if you do it a lot, I'm sure your account will dip into unacceptable metrics.

Little known fact is that in terms of eBay's internal metrics (ie, how they grade your selling performance), they don't care about feedback or 5-star ratings anymore. More brilliant changes coming from the executives who have never sold an item themselves. Now they only care that ship on time, you don't cancel too many of your sales, and if a buyer request a return, that you accept the return rather than escalating it. If you follow those rules, you'll have sterling metrics as far as they're concerned no matter what your feedback says. I actually kind of like it from a seller's point of view because those are things I have direct control over, rather than subjective feedback which I have zero control over.

Tak3n

Banned
So has the buy been...taken care of?

I don't think op feels to comfortable basically scamming the scammer. Because paypal decided in the buyers favour the only route is to get dirty. I told him multiple methods but it certainly requires some balls

I have also offered to dox the guy for him...it is up to op now how he proceeds.

DonShula

I don't think op feels to comfortable basically scamming the scammer. Because paypal decided in the buyers favour the only route is to get dirty. I told him multiple methods but it certainly requires some balls

I have also offered to dox the guy for him...it is up to op now how he proceeds.

CLIFFHANGER

When does season two start? This has been renewed for season two right?

Tak3n

Banned
Read a large part of the thread but can anyone give me the lowdown on whether OP can not just yank his details?

Also if the worse comes to worse you can use a website to send people authentic horse shit. Might be worth having a few bags delivered to this dickhead.

http://www.sendshit.co.uk

Also with this, eBay and PayPal fees this is why I mainly just trade stuff in at GAME/CEX. Not worth the agro. Or I meet people in person and deal in cash.

Sometimes you have to just take it on the chin as one of life's lessons.... I have won and lost many a dispute over 10 years. I have never been able to overturn a credit charge chargeback even when I won the dispute. Most people don't realise that..the ultimate weapon in the scammer arsenal is the chargeback. Paypal simply don't give a shit...I have even been chargeback on a private sale on paypal gift

Yep, that's how eScam works, the exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago but with a video game. Well, in that the buyer sent me horrible messages and clearly sent me back a different game than the one I sent them, and eScam still decided to close the case in the buyer's favour. They always do because there is no human operating the decision, as I said in my original post in this thread.

Best to just suck it up and never sell on eBay again and find another site to sell. Hell, in my case, I brought up 3 contradictions in eScam's policies where I was eligible to have a case disputed AND so that the buyer couldn't even open a case against me in the first place. eScam's reply, even when talking to a human on the phone, "sorry all we can do is charge you your final value fee".

Is there anywhere inside the PS4 that displays the serial number? If not, that's not proof. It's so easy to take the shell off a PS4 with a Torx screwdriver and a little force. But if it had the warranty sticker in place when you sent it, and it returns with that ripped off then you have more proof to add. So make sure you document that part when taking pictures.

I still think eBay wouldn't care, but if you're set on using eBay then cover yourself the best you can.

as its been been pointed out time and time again, ebay gives no fucks. You could literally have on a conference call an ebay rep with the buyer as he describes to you how he is scamming you, step by step, and ebay would rule in the buyers favor. Buyers are far more valuable than sellers on ebay, which makes sense there are always people desperate to unload their unused junk for $$ but you need a ever growing pool of people buying that stuff. Of course once someone has done a few scams on buyers ebay will just shut their account down (while giving them back their money) but that doesn't do anything for the sellers.

99% of ebay transactions are fine. sell your video games, minor electronics, kitchen items, etc without much fear. But 1% are scammers, and if you get caught in that you are screwed. The risks go up much, much higher when dealing with stuff like phones, ipads, jewelry, rare video game stuff, etc. And most of the time ebay will side with the buyer.

That does mean out of 1000 GAfers who sell a PS4 on ebay, 995 will be just fine. but yeah, 5 will get into some dodgy scam where the buyer returns a banned console or even just a box of bricks and ebay will still side with the buyer. Sadly OP is in that unlucky 1% :(

winstano

If the PS4's serial number is somehow tied to the Mac address in Sony's system, they could be able to trace the IP to at least a region...

Also, they must be able to see what account has logged into which PS4. Ask them "Has my account logged on to this PS4?" - If not then bingo, you got him.

Might also be worth checking if that serial number has logged on after you get the returned console.

Tak3n

Banned
If the PS4's serial number is somehow tied to the Mac address in Sony's system, they could be able to trace the IP to at least a region...

Also, they must be able to see what account has logged into which PS4. Ask them "Has my account logged on to this PS4?" - If not then bingo, you got him.

Might also be worth checking if that serial number has logged on after you get the returned console.

Don't mean shit mate. Paypal won't start ip investigating etc...they simply make a decision based on the limited evidence that have...based on a formula of buyers don't lie. The best advise I can give op is to call up and say I have been scammed and if his account is in good standing paypal can and do refund both parties.

DrewM1788

I just shipped out my OG PS4 to an eBay buyer hours ago...also to make back some money on the purchase of a PS4 Pro. Thanks to this topic, I took a ton of pictures of the console and also of the serial number. I'm praying I don't go through a similar situation. I'm going to be very anxious the next couple of days.

Fbh

Read the thread.

OP knows the buyer was using his console online as he had a discussion with a Sony rep to check if his serial number was active. It is and the buyer is using it claiming it is banned.

He's being scammed.

But was he playing online or was he just online.

Again, form what I've experienced I wouldn't be surprised if he went online but couldn't play because he has no PS+ and interpreted this as the console being banned

Lexxism

This. People make fun of Gamestop/Amazon/BB trade values but in the end i'd rather have a straightforward one and done transaction with no headaches and lose a couple bucks compared to something like this.
And sometimes they have good deals to make up on the difference. Got a pro because of a good ps4 trade deal from eb games.

I never have PayPal as a paying option when I sell on eBay, only normal bank transfer.
I use it since 2005 to sell all my old hardware and fortunately never had bigger problems, only some buyers that didn't pay, but that's no problem as you get the auctionfees back.
But that is eBay germany though.

BigEmil

You have his address. Fucking go there. Take back up. Take back your PS4. He won't be expecting that.

I had a friend who sold a dvd player on eBay and the guy tried to scam for a refund claiming it never arrived. My friend drove 2 hours to his house, knocked on the door, said 'I've come for my dvd player', went in, sure enough it was there, unplugged it and left.
Never heard from him again after that.
My bro did something similar like this once when he got scammed on eBay he and some of his mates went to his house, seller gave in and stopped the scam from proceeding, I don't know exactly how he did it but knowing him I know he used some threats D:

Mascot

Regarding the advice about ticking the 'no returns' box: this is a green light for thundercunts everywhere to fuck up their item and claim it arrived damaged. It's the only option open to them if they decide they no longer want it. The seller then gets a broken item back and has to refund the buyer AND pay the return postage.

It's much better to accept returns and get your item back in good condition without having to pay the return postage.

satriales

I was close to selling my PS4 on ebay recently but I haven't used the site for years and the last time I did I got scammed as a buyer.

I had tried to purchase a laptop as a present for my Grandma. It was only about £300 but that was a lot of money for me at the time. The seller never sent the item and so I claimed for a refund. Ebay/Paypal issued the refund but decided that they deserved a 15% cut for investigating the claim even though they ruled it in my favour. Not used ebay since and these stories continue to put me off.

mrlion

Alternatively you can take him to court you'll probably win because you have a ton of evidence that eBay, for some reason or no reason at all, wants to ignore.

Erekiddo

Chargeback.

Go to town on this clown.

Also, get on the phone with a live person. Don't take a canned response as the end of this.

Infuriating to see how unprotected a seller is on eBay, especially when having to deal with someone who just makes things so frustrating like the person OP has to deal with. ):

This happened to me when I sold a Zelda majoras mask limited edition 3ds console. Scammer said never received item even though he actually signed his own name on the proof of delivery. Refunded him to shut him up then I charged back. I don't play that shit tbh.

joecanada

The dude's solution is to go "with back up" to a guys house to rob him. You don't think he's a moron?

its not really a clear cut robbery if he doesn't want the merchandise anymore, you can just give him the money and take back your stuff. so no it's not the worst idea I've read actually. Plus one poster said it worked too and better than every other suggestion on here too I may add.

is it recommended? not really, but I'd do it. Do you really think they'd call the police?

I'm assuming at this point it's too late to take to decouple your payment info from your eBay account?

Holy shit at the turn of events, this is just fucked up on so many levels. I really feel for any sellers who have been scammed by these assholes, and fuck eBay for willingly facilitating fraud.

Top Bottom