• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sold my PS4 on eBay to cover my Pro, buyer is claiming it's console banned, what do?

0racle

The buyer is slower than a PS4 backup transfer.

I dont think you will win at all OP. Its just the nature of eBay. I just hope you get something that resembles a PS4 back.

and If I where you right now?

DO NOT SIGN FOR DELIVERY AT THE DOOR !!!!

Take a video camera, go pro, cell phone....whatever and PICK IT UP IN PERSON at the parcel carriers pick up location. and sign/show id/open right then and there in store.

This has to be real bad for OP, but seriously, do you guys even consider that the buyer is just a kid that doesnt know how to configure the PS4 connection??

That might seem stupid for all the posters here, because all of us are at least a little bit tech saavy.

That first message to the seller accussing him of scam and fraud and whatnot was a bit intense IMO, maybe just asking for a screen showing the error would have been enough for a start.

Maybe with a little patience and talking you could have helped him to setup his connection and all this mess would been avoided.

Or maybe he is indeed trying to scam you, what the hell do i know...

He went online with the console.

Parapraxis

Having long experience selling things on ebay (~500 feedback, probably 400 sales). I still think this guy is an idiot, based on his half illiterate messages back and forth.

Remember that 30% of people think that the Sun revolves around the Earth. A quarter of us don't know who we fought for Independence from (6% threw out countries like China, Mexico and Japan).

There's a lot of idiots out there. The guy could have had it on PSN and thought it wasn't online because he couldn't download Destiny or something, or he has a NAT issue connecting to games or the like.

(Note the post above where the guy cites the dude typing in his email address into Google...that's about right).

Except he claimed he took it to a shop, and they "confirmed" it was banned.

Retweeted on my end and would be happy to further bombard them on social media depending on how this goes.

So sorry you're going through this, OP. From the "buyer's" responses, it's clear they're a piece of shit. I hope justice is served here.

I dont think you will win at all OP. Its just the nature of eBay. I just hope you get something that resembles a PS4 back.

Take a video camera, go pro, cell phone....whatever and PICK IT UP IN PERSON at the parcel carriers pick up location. and sign/show id/open right then and there in store.

If you want to be thorough as possible OP, this is a good suggestion.

This has to be real bad for OP, but seriously, do you guys even consider that the buyer is just a kid that doesnt know how to configure the PS4 connection??

That might seem stupid for all the posters here, because all of us are at least a little bit tech saavy.

That first message to the seller accussing him of scam and fraud and whatnot was a bit intense IMO, maybe just asking for a screen showing the error would have been enough for a start.

Maybe with a little patience and talking you could have helped him to setup his connection and all this mess would been avoided.

The console has been online since.

SURGEdude

LOL @ bold. Next time ethernet not USB.

Biske

Selling anything of value online is a nightmare. I salute you brave souls who give it a shot, and best of luck to the OP. But damn.

Thought it would be a good idea to try and sell a guitar online once, just the local online ads, not even super crazy, but all I got were scam offers. The "hey I'm a military guy so I'm over seas and can't get there, but I really want it, I'll pay extra you just have to let this 3rd party shipping company pick it up and blah blah"

Like right off the bat.

Its just way too easy to scam people and then have ebay or paypal side with you.

Cody_D165

Banned
God eBay is so shit to the sellers... they wouldn't exist without them and they are treated like garbage. So many horror stories.

Not active on Twitter but I retweeted that tweet... good luck OP.

Yes, maybe a NAT issue, or whatever.

Just because he went online it doesnt mean he is in fact a scammer. Maybe he is, or maybe he isnt.

Im just saying that that first message was a bit intense and a different approach might have worked better.

You're rambling bullshit.

He went online while claiming the console is banned. The hell are you talking about here? The first message waan't intense, this motherfucker is trying to scam the OP.

Its weird. I sold my Wii U ages ago, online, and the email address linked to my ebay an old yahoo one not gmail I was not checking, and neither did I check my feedback on ebay or get messages about it. But the buyer for some reason was claiming there was something wrong with the console.

Anyway, apparently, Ebay didn't give an inch for him, I didn't even know any of this till like a year later. But he tried his best to reverse it and was very angry and frustrated Ebay did not help him. Dunno if he was a smammer or not, but there you have it.

BigEmil

Having long experience selling things on ebay (~500 feedback, probably 400 sales). I still think this guy is an idiot, based on his half illiterate messages back and forth.

Remember that 30% of people think that the Sun revolves around the Earth. A quarter of us don't know who we fought for Independence from (6% threw out countries like China, Mexico and Japan).

There's a lot of idiots out there. The guy could have had it on PSN and thought it wasn't online because he couldn't download Destiny or something, or he has a NAT issue connecting to games or the like.

(Note the post above where the guy cites the dude typing in his email address into Google...that's about right).
This could be a possibility

These are all super interesting theories but its definitely a scammer that wants to trade his banned console for an unbanned one. My condolences, OP. Hope you somehow manage to resolve this.

Except he claimed he took it to a shop, and they "confirmed" it was banned.

Yeah. Because someone totally told him that.

If he turns out not to be a scammer, he probably took it to a Best Buy or a GameStop and bugged them about his online not working, and people said something about maybe it's banned. That's all it takes for some people to jump to a conclusion..

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
While I think the buyer is a scammer in this instance, I have to admit that I once sold a limited edition 3DS on ebay, and, after receiving it, the buyer claimed it "didn't work", even though it was brand new. The guy sent me many messages that could barely be qualified as English, not unlike the OP's messages (maybe less hostile). I was pretty sure I was getting boned over here.

However, the next day after I told him to just send it back to me, he messaged me and said he got it working and that it just wasn't charged. o_O The guy was just dumb, I guess.

Vashetti

Banned
umm wow

JdbHIzm.png

Congrats. Sometimes the good do win.

I wonder how they will handle this for buyer though? I guess it really doesn't matter, but he should not get a refund and get to keep that PS4 too.

Wait are you serious??? Really? They did that? Oh my gosh that's awesome!!!

Wow this is a miracle. Congratulations Vashetti!!!

This is a common result when you bring a situation like this into the public eye. Most won't fight it this hard and just eat the loss.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Wow! Congrats man! That really seems like a first for these sorts of things.

When the buyer sends you another nasty gram please come back and post it here so we can enjoy it.

Lol been following this thread on and off,,came in and last post I saw was your picture from the conversation!,Gzzz Gaf strikes again. Wish I could see the scammers reaction

Hell yes! Have been lurking this thread since the first post.
Shit made me angry, glad to see you getting lucky (even though it took public shaming of ebay to get to that point)

Merry Christmas OP

Sarcasm

Now we should see the buyers response.

In all honest, don't contact the buyer, leave it as is sweet sweet justice. Let him bathe in it lol.

neemmss

Congrats OP! I am glad that they sided with you and we prevailed, but this isn't over. We still need to see what you got back in the mail from him.

Good job, man.

This is good for you and good for eBay. I'm sure there are people reading this thread - me included - who want to sell on eBay, but just get scared off by the horror stories. It gives us hope we won't get screwed, and that benefits eBay and all the genuine decent people in this world.

Top Bottom