• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

Smilax

Did some more unlocking today, made it to the fourth set in the Event mode, but gotta go back and do one more race in the third one. Been having to stick to B ranks for now though D:

Hey not bad! I find it easier to race using either a Handling or Acceleration mod during the harder difficulties. Wish ya luck!

Tizoc

PS3GAF, just a quick update, for tonight I'll be from 8 PM GMT onwards, miscalculated the time difference lol, and so far seems Nocturnowl's gonna be available, hope to see more of you later tonight =)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I was really hoping to get shipping notice for my Vita version today, but it looks like release may be on the 18th. Such a bummer.

Coxy

PS3GAF, just a quick update, for tonight I'll be from 8 PM GMT onwards, miscalculated the time difference lol, and so far seems Nocturnowl's gonna be available, hope to see more of you later tonight =)

I should hopefully be able to make it this time, sorry I couldnt make it last time, christmas arrangements

test_account

XP-39C²
Speaking of Vita version...can you cross play with PS3? Like the Vita player is Player 5 or the like?
I dont think this is possible, unfortunately. The Vita time trial leaderboards only have a few hundred entries last time i checked, and based on this i assume that the game has it's own servers and is seen as a seperate game (in other words, no cross play possible).

Does the limited edition Vita version come with a redeemable code? I'm considering double-dipping, but I might look for a cheap used copy.
Yep, it comes with a redeemable code.

Boogiepop

And I now finally have all the characters unlocked! Anyway, any tips on what character I should be using for the (still broken) Panzer Dragoon traffic attack? I've been using a standard Joe Musashi and I could probably get it if I do it flawlessly, but if there's a better character to be using...

Smilax

And I now finally have all the characters unlocked! Anyway, any tips on what character I should be using for the (still broken) Panzer Dragoon traffic attack? I've been using a standard Joe Musashi and I could probably get it if I do it flawlessly, but if there's a better character to be using...

That depends, do you have most of the mods unlocked for the characters?

I was able to do it with Gum with Handling or Acceleration Mod.

I'm sure we'd all do the same.
Still that finish was brutal to me at least.

edit: No don't disconnect now! I was rocking Seasonal Shrines!

Tizoc

Coxy what region are you in? you're the only one i've been inviting so far whose connection is iffy.
EDIT: Yeah you were the only one this has been happening to so far @_@

Coxy

Coxy what region are you in? you're the only one i've been inviting so far whose connection is iffy.
EDIT: Yeah you were the only one this has been happening to so far @_@

europe, ireland specificly, dunno why it's being bad at random

arr, I give up for tonight, good games what few I got in :D

We need to get more players, I think the Wii U users are upstaging us and they've managed this with the vastly smaller install base!
I should go whip Sonic Gaf into shape.

Shame about Coxy's connection problems, the collision stuff in online really buggered me up tonight on more than a few occasions but that's pretty much expected for everyone at this point.

Boogiepop

That depends, do you have most of the mods unlocked for the characters?

I was able to do it with Gum with Handling or Acceleration Mod.

Thanks. Using Gum I FINALLY did it (after a couple dozen tries with a number of close calls... including one where I hit the final wave's checkpoint car with my super glove and then timed out!) Anyway, looks like Shibuya downtown isn't too bad, as I almost had it on my second try (just really, really screwed up the last wave after noticing that I almost had it). And I know the Samba de Amigo traffic attack isn't too bad.

Which boxes give the super glove for the Sonic Heroes traffic attack?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
My limits reached so I think I'm "done" with this game already. It was fun while it lasted but having several characters I'll never be able to use is a super downer. I got like 130 stars but the final character is like 165 and the final mystery whatever unlock is 200? That's anti-fun guys! I thought we as gamers once came together an decried long/painful character unlocks in party games an devs listened but maybe I was just imagining that ~_~ In the previous game you unlocked any & everything simply by playing the game. Offline, online, single, multi-player, missions, time trials... ya always got Segac Miles just for playing. An yet they threw it out for the become super awesome or lucky at the game method.

Gonna poke around the game some more all the same while working on a list of negatives & positives. btw that Race of Ages course is so weird. I dunno what to make of it. Having a hard time what it has to do with Segac besides the Bonanza Bros (R.I.P.) holostatue in the track preview. It is a really fun track however!

Mesoian

My limits reached so I think I'm "done" with this game already. It was fun while it lasted but having several characters I'll never be able to use is a super downer. I got like 130 stars but the final character is like 165 and the final mystery whatever unlock is 200? That's anti-fun guys! I thought we as gamers once came together an decried long/painful character unlocks in party games an devs listened but maybe I was just imagining that ~_~ In the previous game you unlocked any & everything simply by playing the game. Offline, online, single, multi-player, missions, time trials... ya always got Segac Miles just for playing. An yet they threw it out for the become super awesome or lucky at the game method.

Gonna poke around the game some more all the same while working on a list of negatives & positives. btw that Race of Ages course is so weird. I dunno what to make of it. Having a hard time what it has to do with Segac besides the Bonanza Bros (R.I.P.) holostatue in the track preview. It is a really fun track however!

Play online for a little while, or spend some time doing time trials. Once you do that, you'll be scoring S ranks in no time.

S ranks are more about learning the tracks than they are perfect execution.

Seems very situational. Also, you get boost from a plane by doing tricks near objects, not by drifting.

You get it from both. Drift boosts just take longer than they would on land.

Smilax

Thanks. Using Gum I FINALLY did it (after a couple dozen tries with a number of close calls... including one where I hit the final wave's checkpoint car with my super glove and then timed out!) Anyway, looks like Shibuya downtown isn't too bad, as I almost had it on my second try (just really, really screwed up the last wave after noticing that I almost had it). And I know the Samba de Amigo traffic attack isn't too bad.

Which boxes give the super glove for the Sonic Heroes traffic attack?

Umm... none, that I know of. I think it's just random... I can't really remember. I beat that one using Gum again. Also, Samba's traffic attack, for some odd reason, is the easiest, even though you don't get items.

Edit: Also, if anyone wants to race, I have a room open. Wii U version.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Play online for a little while, or spend some time doing time trials. Once you do that, you'll be scoring S ranks in no time.

S ranks are more about learning the tracks than they are perfect execution.
I did try online last night its dead in ps3 land lol. All the same to me it felt no different from playing against the computer. I'm weird like that! I have done some time trials. The way I played was finish a world tour, then a gp, some single races, some time trials, next world tour, repeat. Clearly I have learned nothing @_@

The last game rewarded you for playing, this one rewards you for "mastering" which is not what I expected when I first loaded it up and found out how things worked. Where did this strong shift in direction come from? At least they didn't lock tracks behind skill walls! Its my fault for not informing myself by reading previews or anything but I didn't wanna be spoiled!

Mesoian

I did try online last night its dead in ps3 land lol. All the same to me it felt no different from playing against the computer. I'm weird like that! I have done some time trials. The way I played was finish a world tour, then a gp, some single races, some time trials, next world tour, repeat. Clearly I have learned nothing @_@

The last game rewarded you for playing, this one rewards you for "mastering" which is not what I expected when I first loaded it up and found out how things worked. Where did this strong shift in direction come from? At least they didn't lock tracks behind skill walls! Its my fault for not informing myself by reading previews or anything but I didn't wanna be spoiled!

The number one complaint about the first game, after it's sense of speed, was it's easy difficulty.

They tackled both issues in kind.

That's too bad about the online on PS3 though. 360 seems pretty vibrant. After 1 game, you usually find 8 people to play with before it, you know, errors out.

WiiU sounds pretty messy too. I dunno, maybe there'll be a patch when Alex Kidd goes live.

Smilax

Jucksalbe, that was the most brutal race I ever had. No one was escaping, everyone was in a tight spot. Maaaannnn.... lol. Congrats on the All Star lol

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
The number one complaint about the first game, after it's sense of speed, was it's easy difficulty.

They tackled both issues in kind.
Who voiced those complaints?? 3 starring mission mode was not an effortlest task, and hard mode GPs/Races were... hard! Regardless, difficulty had nothing to do with unlocking characters/tracks/music and it shoulda stayed that way. There's just no good reason to lock gameplay behind difficulty.

That's too bad about the online on PS3 though. 360 seems pretty vibrant. After 1 game, you usually find 8 people to play with before it, you know, errors out.

WiiU sounds pretty messy too. I dunno, maybe there'll be a patch when Alex Kidd goes live.
I got up to a 4 player game last night nothing above and at least 1 person would always dropout. Some of 'em also had a strange fixation boring tracks like Roulette Road (ugh)...

I just had a PS3 online session nearly an hour ago lol.
If you can keep it for one more week I'll see if I can have an online session on Wednesday~Friday evening.
Okies. I'm not gonna toss the game or nothing. I just don't see myself playing it nearly as long or much as I did its predecessor!

Man, I wasn't even aware that there were tracks for Burning Rangers and Sky Sanctuary. Pretty nice surprise running into them.
Yeah I was especially super surprised by the BR one when I first got to it (I don't like it but still...)!

SykoTech

Man, I wasn't even aware that there were tracks for Burning Rangers and Sky Sanctuary. Pretty nice surprise running into them.

Unlocking things in this game is BS though. I wanted to spend most of my time in multiplayer in a game like this, not spending hours in single player modes before everything's available.

Got the Vita version today. Looks amazing, To my eyes it's native res.
Some minor slowdown when in the water, but nevertheless an amazing game. Shame that it doesn't get more attention. Really awesome

Smilax

Thanks, Smilax, that was fun. I will go back to World Tour to unlock some more stuff now.

Thank you also! That was some crazy fun, I feel bad for effing up on Outrun Bay, I was boosting and I hit a bridge. I was like "NOOOOOOOOOO!" I might host again later tonight if anyone is interested.

Volcynika

Thank you also! That was some crazy fun, I feel bad for effing up on Outrun Bay, I was boosting and I hit a bridge. I was like "NOOOOOOOOOO!" I might host again later tonight if anyone is interested.

I might be around, but I'll be busy between 9-10 Central at least. Hms!

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm currently at 143. So far I can do all races on Expert, but the challenges are very hard. I just couldn't do the traffic challenge on the JSR track on Expert.

Smilax

I'm currently at 143. So far I can do all races on Expert, but the challenges are very hard. I just couldn't do the traffic challenge on the JSR track on Expert.

Try doing all the missions on hard, and then come back and do them on expert, that's how I did it. Make that portion somewhat enjoyable.

Boogiepop

Got through Shibuya Downtown traffic attack! Now to work on Seaside Hill!

Also, with the Afterburner sprint, should I be trying for air drifts or is that a bad idea? Also, I'm using standard Robotnik for the sprints. Should I be using someone else or does he work?

Smilax

Looking forward to playing with everyone on Wii U in a few weeks! Hope you guys are still playing then.
I know I will, add me when you can! NNID: Smilax

Got through Shibuya Downtown traffic attack! Now to work on Seaside Hill!

Also, with the Afterburner sprint, should I be trying for air drifts or is that a bad idea? Also, I'm using standard Robotnik for the sprints. Should I be using someone else or does he work?

Oh boy... Seaside Hill was so hard for me, I had to finish it on B rank, eventually, I was able to do it with Gum and the Acceleration Mod.

As for sprint, Robotnik is alright, and airdrifts are really good! Of course, that's just my opinion.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'm now maxed out at a nice round 140.

C: 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 1 = 01
B: 3 / 5 / 3 / 4 / 6 / 6 = 27
A: 4 / 5 / 7 / 5 / 4 / 1 = 27
S: 1 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 / 0 = 01

~ bad stuffs
• save file: locked. can't be backed up! if my original model ps3 ever breaks I'm so NOT replaying this game. instead I'll go back to the original which also had a locked save, meaning I'll have ta start from scratch, but still has kindness by letting ya unlock everything simply by playing the game no matter the mode. unlock save with patch plz!
• load times: worse then the first. why? idk. can we ps3 peeps get an optional install patched in ala bayonetta?
• horn: why'd they take this out?? I liked mashing X when I didn't have a weapon to beep and make my driver do silly poses/taunts!
• can't boost through obstacles: just dun like this change at all.
• character mods: leveling up characters one at a time is pure filler. not gonna do it! not gonna be like Gabe!
• music: having the option to choose between 5 songs per track was wayyyy better then having no option at all. plus the music in this game kinda sucks. its like a boring or messed up mishmash of songs and is just pretty bland in the end. "is there custom soundtrack support on the ps3 version?" ahuahuahuahhuehueha!
• announcer: bring back the goofy old guy!! what a guy he was! mr generic sux!
• no collection (character/course bios & music test): whyyyyyy.....??
• ryo? jacky/akira? chu chus? alex kidd? opa opa? not allowed cause they totally needed 6 sonic characters and to double down on jgr/smb/nights/sc5! chu chus were my favorites and most used ya know -_-

~ good stuffs
• alternate vehicle modes: funner then expected! great addition!
• tracks: vehicles aren't the only things that transform, alot of the tracks do to! coolness! an they did come through on the promise of expanding the track roster bigtime. I never woulda imagined there would be one for Burning Rangers of all things!
• career variety: race/drift/boost/rings/tank/battle/rival goodness! only sprints are bad cause c'mon they're glorified time trials. replace 'em with mini-GPs plz!
• items: bring back the rainbow! and the super horn! or not. all the items here a great as it is! no duds like the remote missile and falls right off/through the track bomb!
• all-stars: omg I have a chance of getting one of these at any point instead of only when I'm dead last yay!!!
• mirror tracks: its great they were able to include 'em this time around! they provide some extra variety and twists on tracks ya gotten used to before unlocking these!
• controls: once again perfect and super easy to get accustomed to, even the new way of doing tricks.
• all else not mentioned as being bad: must be good! or at least just about right. which dun count as a knock against it if ya ask me!

Ya might've noticed most of the things I cite as bad as having to do with presentation not gameplay. Ya, bad presentation can make super fun gameplay somehow less fun *coughonettacough* ! Excuse me... anyhow one last thing. A huge missed opportunity!

Ya know how some events start with Rolling Starts? And it even has the text on screen? C'mon! You KNOW what they shoulda done there!

Volcynika

Made a lot of progress tonight. B'd my way through the World Tour and unlocked the final (?) set and the S class challenges. Got a couple S ranks to push my current star count up to 106. Some of these are crazy hard at times!

Maxed out Ulala and Vyse so far.

Top Bottom