• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

Boogiepop

Finally finished Seaside Hill traffic attack, thanks to a lucky super glove ->super glove-> glove combo (though I didn't really need the last glove). Really, I was mainly getting annoyed at how terrible ice was for traffic attack, especially on that stage (aka the only expert traffic attack it appears on, as far as I can tell). If I was ever in a position where killing a single car would help, ice was already useless.

Anyway, now I just have to knock out the far easier Samba de Amigo traffic attack and I'll be done with everything but sprints, versus, and races!

Kokonoe

Banned

I agree that most of the issues for me are the interface and the Stars/Difficulty of the CPU and how it portrays. These were my first impressions of the game as a comparison to the first game.

Well, I finally own my most anticipated game since 2011. I'm hoping I'll enjoy it as there has not been a single game I've cared about this entire year besides this one.

http://i.imgur.com/2D16r.jpg[IMG]

Here I go.[/QUOTE]

[quote="Kokonoe, post: 44523305"]Alright, I've played this for a few hours and this is what I think of the game so far.

[B][U]Complaints[/U][/B]

[INDENT][B]Drifting[/B]

[INDENT]Drifting is harder to do this time, and you have much less control over the vehicle while drifting compared to the last game. It kinda makes the drift challenges harder solely because of that, and because I can't keep the vehicle in place by holding the opposite direction like I could before. Now it seems the more you do that, the more it pushes you the side you don't want, but if you don't do anything you'll end up going to the other side anyways because that's the direction you are drifting in.[/INDENT]

[B]Control[/B]

[INDENT]This game is a lot more stiff and heavy in comparison to the last game and I can't say I enjoy that. I really enjoyed how the last game was more designed with control over your car than trying to emulate actual cars. The lack of control in comparison is a shame, but it isn't bad or terrible in this game, I just think the last one got that down pat pretty good so it feels like a step down.[/INDENT]

[B]AI is too difficult[/B]

[INDENT]Keep in mind before I say this that I've played practically every single Kart Racer that you can imagine and more so besides Crash Team Racing. What is cumbersome about the AI in this game is that they just don't let up no matter what, like they are kept in place because the game deems they should stay there. Kart Racers are known for this, but I think they need to tone it down with this one, it makes it hard to try to surpass the immovable first place AIs. I think for most people who are new to this game, this will be the key thing that may or may not break the game. [/INDENT]

[B]Item Balance[/B]

[INDENT]Items don't have the near perfect balance the last game had. Some weapons like the Firecracker sometimes just feel useless, but then there are items like the Hot Rod which is kind of ridiculous because it gives boost while sending your opponents flying and they lose all their speed with an AoE fire splash. Snowballs aren't as bad as the Hot Rod, but I think they're a bit much too. Now while I say this, I still think this game doesn't have things anywhere near as bad as Mario Kart does, however the last game was better in this regard where it seemed nearly all the items were useful in their own way, but not overpowered.[/INDENT]

[B]Options[/B]

[INDENT]The last game had it where you could turn off items if you were playing by yourself or for local co-op. This is a let down as well, and I hope the option to toggle them off will be added again.[/INDENT][/INDENT]

[B][U]Positives[/U][/B]

[INDENT][B]Graphics[/B]

[INDENT]Graphics are quite a step up, I can see the shaders being put to use more compared to the last game. Metal Sonic looks divine.[/INDENT]

[B]Music[/B]

[INDENT]Music is fantastic, and the fact that they aren't just the original songs slapped into the game is a big improvement over the last one.[/INDENT]

[B]Stages[/B]

[INDENT]You've fixed the issue with the stage having the same themes as before and that's definitely refreshing to see as the last game had some rather bland looking levels because of it.[/INDENT]
[/INDENT]
[U][B]Etc[/B][/U]

[B]1.[/B] Good choice on picking the Metal Sonic song from Sonic 4 Episode II and Knuckles Sonic Adventure theme for All-Stars.

[B]2.[/B] I do kinda like how it feels the characters have a bit more uniqueness this time

[B]3.[/B] Think tricks were better in the last game, but I find it is nice they aren't freebies now.

[B][U]Overall[/U][/B]

I would be lying to you if I said I didn't think this is a good game, I certainly think it's fun to play, and it improved a lot of things from the last game, it just failed to improve the most important thing and that was the actual driving mechanic. That to me is a step down in my opinion, however it being a step down in that area doesn't make it a terrible or bad game. I still like this title more than Mario Kart 7, but they should remove the stiff/heavy/lack of control the cars have in comparison to the first entry.

The biggest complaint I see people having with this game is the AI, and although I may be able to put up with it as I am really into Kart Racers, I think it will shun people away who may be trying to get into the series. The AI puts me to shame sometimes, and that's saying something given my experience.

I suggest trying the demo before you purchase, but if you can put up with the AI then you'll have yourself a good game to play.[/QUOTE]

As time went on, I now appreciate the gameplay more than what I made in my initial impressions post, however the interface is still lacking compared to the first title. It's not as slick, quick, and charming to look at with the washed out colors. The lack of all the options from the first title is a bummer too, however the gameplay itself I feel is nice.

I also wrote something about how I feel about SEGA Miles VS Stars.

[B]SEGA Miles were better than Stars[/B]

Why? well, the SEGA Miles system was essentially a cash/point system that gave you points depending on how good you raced, what you did, or how you did it. The best thing about this feature is that you could obtain SEGA Miles from doing practically anything in the game in either of the modes.

The good side to this is the fact that you weren't forced to do single player or any one mode. You could go online and obtain them, you could obtain them in Single Races, Grand Prix, Battle, anything you desired and at your own pace.

The other thing that was greater about this system was that not only did it let you have additional entertainment knowing you could do what you wanted to unlock things, the shop that was used to unlock things let you purchase whatever you wanted in three separate categories: Characters, Stages, and Music. What's great about this? Simple. You could unlock which characters you wanted first, and which content you desired. With the current Star setup, let's say your favorite character is Gum, you'd have to spend a vast amount of time in comparison to the SEGA Miles system.

[B]Difficulty and Stars[/B]

Either or not you agree, there are tons of complaints over the difficulty of this game. Some consider it 'cheap' some consider it a 'challenge', but the thing here is that a lot of people do have complaints over this so I'd like to discuss the aspect this has on the game with the Star system.

To obtain stars in this game, you [B]have[/B] to do World Tour, and you obtain them by being the races/challenges. You obtain 1 Star for Easy, 2 Stars for Medium, and 3 Stars for Expert. For those who have issues with the difficulty, they cannot play at their own leisure thanks to this system thus making this system inferior to the previous game.

Obtaining Stars and completing these numerous challenges I consider tedious myself, but it's not either not it is tedious, but it does take a considerable more time to get things done in comparison to the last game, and you can't do what you desire as the first game as well.

As you can see below, you have to at least be doing Medium to be able to press on essentially. At the time I had 90 stars, and I needed 95 Stars to open up the next room. I made this before the Wii U was patched, but as you can see you must only do medium to succeed.

[U]Sunshine Coast[/U] 17/24

[B]Coastal Cruise[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Canyon Carnage[/B] ★ ★ ★
[B]Downtown Drift[/B] ★ ★ ★
[B]Battlezone Blast[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Studio Scrapes[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Roulette Rush[/B] ★ ☆ ☆ (Boost Challenge)
[B]Monkey Mayhem[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Starry Speedway[/B] ★ ★ ☆

[U]Frozen Valley[/U] 19/30

[B]Studio Scurry[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Traffic Attack[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Pirate Plunder[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Banana Boost[/B] ★ ☆ ☆ (Boost Challenge)
[B]Seaside Scrap[/B] ★ ★ ★
[B]Snowball Shakedown[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Snaking Skies[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Shinobi Scramble[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Neon Knockout[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Graffiti Groove[/B] ★ ★ ☆

[U]Scorching Skies[/U] 21/30

[B]Adder Assault[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Keil's Carnage[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Rogue Rings[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Sanctuary Speedway[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Shrine Time[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Sunshine Slide[/B] ★ ★ ★
[B]Dreamy Drive[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Carrier Crisis[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Seaside Skirmish[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Hangar Hassle[/B] ★ ★ ☆

[U]Twilight Engine[/U] 18/30

[B]Undertaker Overtaker[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Monkey Brawl[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Death Egg Duel[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Golden Gauntlet[/B] ★ ☆ ☆ (Boost Challenge)
[B]Ruin Run[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Hatcher Hustle[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Racing Rangers[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Booty Boost[/B] ★ ☆ ☆ (Boost Challenge)
[B]Crumbling Chaos[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Shinobi Showdown[/B] ★ ★ ☆

[U]Moonlight Park[/U] 15/30

[B]Carnival Clash[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Curien Curves[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Jet Set Jaunt[/B] ☆ ☆ ☆ (Boost Challenge)
[B]Ocean Outrun[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Billy Backslide[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Carrier Charge[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Speeding Seasons[/B] ★ ☆ ☆ (Boost Challenge)
[B]Burning Boost[/B] ★ ★ ☆
[B]Arcade Annihilation[/B] ★ ★ ☆

Boogiepop

Got the Samba de Amigo traffic attack done, finishing off the traffic attacks. It posed a bit more of a challenge then I expected, as I wasn't quite used to such a curvy track for traffic attack. Also wiped out the Afterburner sprint, meaning I just need to do the Billy Hatcher and Burning Rangers sprints and I'm done with all the non-race challenges (yay tight turns!)

Got the 360 and Vita version and thinking about buying the Wii U version too ( because of the fact you can have a seperate screen in local MP ). How does the game look on the gamepad? Any impressions?

A.E Suggs

]blacky[;45433019 said:
Wii U:
Is it possible to play in split-screen with two local players?
We are sitting here and trying that but have no clue.

I now its possible for wiiU. Haven't tried it for ps360.

Smilax

]blacky[;45433019 said:
Wii U:
Is it possible to play in split-screen with two local players?
We are sitting here and trying that but have no clue.
To play split screen with two local players, you two just have to use the Wii-motes, Classic Controllers, Nunchucks, etc etc. If someone uses the Game pad, the screen will be used. Push plus on the two Wii motes.

Got the 360 and Vita version and thinking about buying the Wii U version too ( because of the fact you can have a seperate screen in local MP ). How does the game look on the gamepad? Any impressions?

480p screen, it's blurry, but it's not too bad. Still looks alright.

Smilax

Thanks! Would you compare it to the NSMB U or Trine 2? I've read that some people didn't like the look of the game on the gamepad ( washed out apperently )

Compared to Nintendo Land, Sonic is a bit washed out. [The reason I can't compare between Trine or NSMB is because I don't own those games. D: Sorry] I mean, it looks bad the first time, but after a while you'll get used to it... well that's just my opinion of course. I believe there is a Demo for the game on the eShop. Perhaps you can try it out and see what you think! Honestly, it doesn't bother me, and in fact, I really enjoy playing the game on the Game Pad.

Compared to Nintendo Land, Sonic is a bit washed out. [The reason I can't compare between Trine or NSMB is because I don't own those games. D: Sorry] I mean, it looks bad the first time, but after a while you'll get used to it... well that's just my opinion of course. I believe there is a Demo for the game on the eShop. Perhaps you can try it out and see what you think! Honestly, it doesn't bother me, and in fact, I really enjoy playing the game on the Game Pad.

Unfortunately there is no demo out in EU-land :/ But I'll guess I'll buy it anyway :D
The option for separate screens is sounds good to pass :D

You know, that reminds me. Do you think i should host just races, or try the other modes? Boost Race, Capture the Chao, Battle Race, Arena... there is a lot in this game lol.

I'm down to try them out, especially since I haven't even tried some of them out at all yet. Hah.

Picked this up last weekend and have been slowly making my way through single player. I'd love to race against all of you. I'm up for playing tonight if you're still on around 7pm Central. NNID is XRayMonster.

Smilax

I'll join the races tonight too if you're online when I get home. I keep missing everyone by minutes it seems.
I probably won't host till like 6 or 7 P.M Central, if you are around!
Picked this up last weekend and have been slowly making my way through single player. I'd love to race against all of you. I'm up for playing tonight if you're still on around 7pm Central. NNID is XRayMonster.
Yeah, 6 or 7 is probably when I'll host, I'll add you now! :D

And I'm finished with the Sprints, now up to 186 stars!

Good job! You are getting there! Keep up the good work!

Volcynika

This game continues to be bananas. Made it up to 140 stars currently! Been doing the non race events (battle races are fairly easy to beat on S if you stay in the back, at least for me).

Max leveled Joe Musashi as my 3rd max character. Woots

Zomba13

What is up with the allstar modes sucking in this game? You just go into flight mode, get a boost and an attack.
They were awesome in the first. Unique transformations.
Also why two Space channel 5, Monkey ball and Jest set radio characters? Did we really need them and to cut Ryo, Billy Hatcher, Chu Chus etc? Fine with cutting Big the cat though even though I do like him >.<

I'd probably buy all the DLC if it brought back the old characters and alt music for the stages (or DLC that let me use the Burning Rangers track theme on every track).

Still really love the game though just a shame that it lost some cool representation to double up on niche characters from niche franchises.

EDIT: Will join. Hope I can race and not crash/hardlock/disconnect again.

What is up with the allstar modes sucking in this game? You just go into flight mode, get a boost and an attack.
Also why two Space channel 5, Monkey ball and Jest set radio characters? Did we really need them and to cut Ryo, Billy Hatcher, Chu Chus etc? Fine with cutting Big the cat though even though I do like him >.<

I'd probably buy all the DLC if it brought back the old characters and alt music for the stages (or DLC that let me use the Burning Rangers track theme on every track).

Still really love the game though just a shame that it lost some cool representation to double up on niche characters from niche franchises.

I really hope that is what the DLC contains.

Smilax

I think one of the reasons why the All Stars kinda suck is that they can be implemented online. Back then, some of the all-stars where kinda cheap.

As for the characters, I have no idea...

Zomba13

I think one of the reasons why the All Stars kinda suck is that they can be implemented online. Back then, some of the all-stars where kinda cheap.

As for the characters, I have no idea...

Fair point about the allstars. Still, would have been nice if they were as they are now (pretty balanced but a bit boring) but with unique transformations.

Wow, the cpu won't stop pushing me. They sent me flying twice in the golden axe track o_O

Yeah, I don't really get how that works. Everybody else seems to be able to push me around pretty easily but even if I barrel in to them at full speed it barely seems to effect them.

Boogiepop

God, why even give me a tornado if the CPU's just going to act as though it never hit them?! (/Frustrated at Billy Hatcher Versus rivals crap... and that damn ending part of the course that even the CPUs can't deal with!)

ajim

This game... is difficult. I get smashed on A rank levels and couldn't comprehend S levels. I'm a Mario Kart vet, mate, 3 star everything and yet can't do this!

What am I doing wrong! lol :(

Pro Tip: Don't hit the home button. It cost me my overall second place score. :(

Speaking of second place...how did I come in it in that last one when I was in the bathroom for half of it?

Top Bottom