• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

While its cool to play an old-school Sonic I never had the chance to play as a kid via an incredible port job, it honestly makes me want a Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 port using this engine all the more.

Sonic CD is the perfect game to weed out all those who play Sonic games as a racer, rather than a platformer. Its my favourite Sonic behind Sonic3&Knuckles.

The level design in Sonic CD is fucking ace for the most part.

iavi

A map that shows how what places of the level you've already visited. Like in Castlevania or Metroid.

When a game wants me to explore its levels I want it to give me a map at least, so that I'm not stumbling around helplessly. Especially when the levels are rather messy and confusing to begin with.

As simple as this is, it's a phenomenal suggestion. It kind of plays into my idea of them not really wanting to play into the explorative aspects of CD's game design too much. Something as simple as a map that fills in as you reach the respective areas would eliminate a lot of the 'messy' complaints.

It's unfortunate that Sega said they didn't want Taxman to change the game too much, cause I imagine that he could easily add one in if he wanted.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
And why is there that stupid time limit of 10 minutes

Yeah, of all the Sonic games this is the one that really made me question the 10 minute time limit. Would've been great if time reset upon entering the past or future or each time period retained an individual time limit.

Odrion

Banned
I really, really would like to see Taxman do a port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. With Sonic & Knuckles. I think that game (or those games?) would really benefit from a larger FOV and some modern touches to make it feel like a complete package.

Whoever said it was right, this sort of thing shows what incredible porting can do to a old game and the idea of once you do it, you have an awesome modern version of your game forever. I can't play old games that are merely emulated anymore. Not after I saw what the true potential could be.

Also how the heck is this the only game that got sprites on a HDTV to look right? Just the right amount of smoothness applied to remove the eyebleed from pixels, yet not too smooth to completely destroy how the game is suppose to look.

iavi

Also how the heck is this the only game that got sprites on a HDTV to look right? Just the right amount of smoothness applied to remove the eyebleed from pixels, yet not too smooth to completely destroy how the game is suppose to look.

Love.

Anth0ny

I really, really would like to see Taxman do a port of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. With Sonic & Knuckles. I think that game (or those games?) would really benefit from a larger FOV and some modern touches to make it feel like a complete package.

Whoever said it was right, this sort of thing shows what incredible porting can do to a old game and the idea of once you do it, you have an awesome modern version of your game forever. I can't play old games that are merely emulated anymore. Not after I saw what the true potential could be.

Sonic 1, 2 and 3K absolutely need this treatment. If SCD is successful, I can totally see it happening.

Playable Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1. And Knuckles in Sonic 2, of course.

Sonic 3+K by Taxman would be the pinnacle of all retro DD ports, probably. If he were to port that game over to Retro Engine and keep it feature perfect- that is, the entirety of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, all in one game, as stacked- plus throw in new features (not sure would you could add, mind... Knuckles and Tails mode?), plus have the same fantastic 'HD' upgrade that CD got- well, I'd buy it for sure.

Sometimes updating retro games with new music/graphics works (Cave Story is a great example). Like the Star Trek Enhanced stuff.

Most of the time, it's a waste of time. Like the Star Wars Special Editions.

B.K., you're on my shit list.

Reading all the reports of people with android devices, I'm starting to think that iOS is the platform for games. Maybe even THE THING.

I installed it on a 3GS and on an iPod touch 2G and it works fine and the same for both.

I simply don't get it.

celebi23

Reading all the reports of people with android devices, I'm starting to think that iOS is the platform for games. Maybe even THE THING.

I installed it on a 3GS and on an iPod touch 2G and it works fine and the same for both.

I simply don't get it.
Yeah, I've got it installed on an iPod Touch 2G as well and my Droid 2. On the iPod it runs great, no issues at all. On the Droid 2, there's slowdown and input lag >_>.

Eric C

Hey...

nobody posted the story from the original manuals yet.

EU Version
Ehdar.png

click for full size

US Version

Christopher

I actually have grown to like a few more of the Japanese songs, the end of level running and invincibility are all US hands down but I think they should mix it up and have Act 1 all American and Act 2 Japanese.

Teknoman

Sonic CD is the perfect game to weed out all those who play Sonic games as a racer, rather than a platformer. Its my favourite Sonic behind Sonic3&Knuckles.

The level design in Sonic CD is fucking ace for the most part.

Stardust Speedway really lives up to the name though. You go blindingly fast if you hit the right set of paths.

Really, I'd prefer that it got the Taxman treatment, rather than the SFIIHD treatment.

Probably being sarcastic.

Also believe it or not, the homing attack actually doesnt hurt the classic stages in 3DS Generations...but maybe thats because you're forced to have the skill.

...If someone used the Sonic 3+K levels to make a Metroidvania, a la Cave Story, I'd play that

Speaking as somebody who has a little bit of experience with this, I don't think a Metroid-style Sonic game is entirely possible without some serious gameplay alterations to the typical Sonic formula.

When I was 16, I got it in my head to make a Sonic fangame that was a Metroidvania. On and off for a period of about ten years, I tried to figure out a way to make it work. And I never did, at least not satisfactorily.

Rather than simply shackle myself to that stupid idea any longer, I finally stopped the insanity and gave up a couple years ago.

i find the level design really confusing and the enemies really blend with the background. I don't like that.

I'm still gonna play it till the end,

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
After all these years I still detest the second boss. Is there some trick I'm missing? I eventually get it, of course, but it's just frustrating trying to aim Sonic into the correct area especially when there are so many things in your way. Just an awful boss, I think.

I think you can't get the achievement if you get all the time stones before destroying the generators and projectors since you are auto-guaranteed good futures in every stage, so that's where the problem lays.
Yeah, and if you want to get the Time Stone + Saviour of the Planet achievements/trophies in the same run you need to make sure you get the last stone during Metallic Madness 2. You can quit and load all you want.

Doesn't Hyper Sonic have homing attack? It works fine in the old Sonic games.
I mad.

Boo, my #1 time in Tidal Tempest Act 3 was beaten by a guy who did it in 44 seconds (versus my 50 seconds).

A guy who doesn't have a single achievement in Sonic CD despite somehow beating my time by a full six seconds.

*cough*

Whether you thought the sprites in IIHDR looked ugly is subjective, but you can't deny that the updated visuals looked bad at all. That is how most 8/16 bit era games and sequels should look, especially platformers. Cartoon characters look a bit strange to me when they are not rendered in 2D. It looses a bit of color and character. Look at the NSMB and compare it to the sprite Mario games, even compare it to SPM and you can see the difference.

Haven't had a chance to play this yet, but all the talk here of how exploration is necessary is making me want to. Sonic games have never really grabbed me because I tend to like precision and exploration over speed and memorization when it comes to my platformers.

Either way, I'm certainly going to buy this for the same reason I bought games like Ikaruga, Final Fight: DI and the last Genesis collection. I want to support retro ports done right. These games deserve to chance to be played by all.

alf717

With Sonic already on XBLA how could they do Retro Engine ports without it looking confusing on the marketplace? Would you get a discount if you already own the ports? Or would they just update those games instead? Either way Sega if you read anything here on NeoGAF I would gladly buy each Sonic title 1 - 3 + Knuckles using Taxman's Retro Engine.

qq more

Doesn't Hyper Sonic have homing attack? It works fine in the old Sonic games.

Exactly why I hate the Homing Attack in 2D Sonic. Enemies become a joke. That and it encourages SEGA to make really lame enemies that do absolutely nothing. See: Bubbles from Sonic 4.

Homing Attack should of have just been a shield Power Up or something in 2D Sonic if they wanted it so badly.

Tomasooie

Either way, I'm certainly going to buy this for the same reason I bought games like Ikaruga, Final Fight: DI and the last Genesis collection. I want to support retro ports done right. These games deserve to chance to be played by all.

But the last Genesis collection embodies everything that is wrong with retro re-releases. Ugly smoothing filter always on, with the option to make it worse; permanent border art that sometimes clashes with the game's visuals, when the standalone retro re-releases by the same company allowed for black borders; and just an overall rushed, half-assed feeling to everything -- the front-end, the border art, the fact that even in the PAL release they only give you the US box arts. I think they even reused the interview videos from the PS2 Genesis collection. You also can't lock on Sonic & Knuckles to anything.

The only good things I can say about the job they did are: the number of games is nice (but numbers are what you need to sell a collection like that anyway, it wasn't done out of the kindness of their hearts or anything), the emulation is good for the most part ("but after twelve fucking years, it should be"), and the Master System and arcade extras are awesome (though what they did to Space Harrier is unforgivable).

Final Fight: Double Impact is one of the greatest though. A real labor of love.

With Sonic already on XBLA how could they do Retro Engine ports without it looking confusing on the marketplace? Would you get a discount if you already own the ports? Or would they just update those games instead? Either way Sega if you read anything here on NeoGAF I would gladly buy each Sonic title 1 - 3 + Knuckles using Taxman's Retro Engine.

It's a good question. I wondered this, too. I think the cleanest way would be to de-list the old ones, then put at least some marketing push behind the new ones to make people aware.

But this question is the reason why I don't think we'll see the older games given this treatment.

I think the way to do it would be release it as a 'Sonic 16-bit Remastered Collection' download. Perhaps all 4 Sonic titles in one purchase on the engine. A definite seperate release to the individual 'ports'.

Either that or use the engine to create new, original Sonic games... *drool*

But the last Genesis collection embodies everything that is wrong with retro re-releases. Ugly smoothing filter always on, with the option to make it worse; permanent border art that sometimes clashes with the game's visuals, when the standalone retro re-releases by the same company allowed for black borders; and just an overall rushed, half-assed feeling to everything -- the front-end, the border art, the fact that even in the PAL release they only give you the US box arts. I think they even reused the interview videos from the PS2 Genesis collection.

The only good things I can say about the job they did are: the number of games is nice (but numbers are what you need to sell a collection like that anyway, it wasn't done out of the kindness of their hearts or anything), the emulation is good for the most part ("but after twelve fucking years, it should be"), and the Master System and arcade extras are awesome (though what they did to Space Harrier is unforgivable).

Final Fight: Double Impact is one of the greatest though. A real labor of love.

Yeah it's not perfect but a good buy for me. I didn't have a Genesis in the 90s and didn't buy any of the previous such collections, so the value paired with solid if not perfect emulation was good for me. Also, I thought the unfiltered filter (if that makes sense) was pretty nice. Not RGB crisp but pretty close to sprites-on-CRT quality. Could be a matter of taste I suppose.

Top Bottom