• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

Bummed I missed this for $2.99 on iOS. Was waiting til the end of the week to grab it from my parent's wifi :(
Is it possible to buy things on the App Store but not download it instantly?

qq more

Wacky Workbench Past's theme is awesome. I don't know why, but I love it.

EDIT: Am I the only one who never minded Wacky Workbench? Boss fight aside.

clav

Wacky Workbench Past's theme is awesome. I don't know why, but I love it.

EDIT: Am I the only one who never minded Wacky Workbench? Boss fight aside.

You're not the only one.

Wacky Workbench isn't bad once you know your way around it.

andymcc

Banned
I think Wacky Workbench is a really interesting. Conceptually, it was something that was so far different than any other 2D Sonic game. I'd take it over Metropolis Zone, Marble Garden Zone or Sandopolis Zone, at any rate.

Wacky Workbench may have a unique idea but the design still leaves a lot to be desired, if you're searching for the generator, it's a mess. If you're just trying to get to the end it is in fact incredibly easy and involves a lot of the usually untrue "hold right to win" (mainly act 1) bar a few iffy bounces that make you retrace your steps. hazards are everywhere leading the stage to feel cluttered under a barrage of almost random enemy placement and an ever present background hazard. Truthully I do enjoy it a bit when just going from the start to finish but exploring the stage leads to numerous dead ends and alt routes that don't really have any benefit. It does at least have fabulous music on the US soundtrack.

stick to the top path and reach the generator? i don't see how it's that hard.

Said generator is the most oddly hidden one in the entire game, regardless of its position it doesn't change the fact that the stage layout is a bit of a jumble, yeah it's fine now because I know where it is but taking the time to find it in the first place highlighted what I considered to be flaws in the level design.

Wacky Workbench took me like 5 minutes to complete, I don't understand why there's so much hate for it...

edit: but yeah, in general, level design is way better in the other Mega Drive Sonic games.

iavi

Wacky Workbench took me like 5 minutes to complete, I don't understand why there's so much hate for it...

This can only be the case if you aren't looking for the generators, or knew where the generator was going in, and had no issues getting enough momentum to pass through time.

This can only be the case if you aren't looking for the generators, or knew where the generator was going in, and had no issues getting enough momentum to pass through time.

Yeah I just like to go fast. I don't know nothin' 'bout no generators. I guess I'll reserve my hate for the second playthrough :)

Sapiens

The only thing this game is missing is instantaneous time travel - Never liked the stupid transition scene.

The screen should just flash white for a moment and then place you in the same xy as you left.

The only thing this game is missing is instantaneous time travel - Never liked the stupid transition scene.

The screen should just flash white for a moment and then place you in the same xy as you left.

Yeah, that would be awesome.

Edit: That, and the ability to choose the soundtrack individually for levels. Maybe a level editor? Sweet.

Ramune

Played through the iOS version, and I'm pretty impressed. Though the controls obviously weren't optimal, they aren't a deal breaker. I may prefer the JP OST, but the America OST is no slouch either, and I'm REALLY happy that they even went so far as to include some of the extended bits from the old Sonic Boom soundtrack in my favorites (Tidal Tempest and Wacky Workbench specifically). Can't wait for the PSN version tomorrow!

0 HP

sonic colors was totally unremarkable. to sing that game's praises so much you really have to be comparing it to shit. or biased. the #1 argument furries will use in defense of that game is its review scores, yet it seems sonic 4 outscored both versions of colors on metacritic.

Rlan

So if I get all the time stones, the past machines all break don't they? Just need to find Metal Sonic's?

sonic colors was totally unremarkable. to sing that game's praises so much you really have to be comparing it to shit. or biased. the #1 argument furries will use in defense of that game is its review scores, yet it seems sonic 4 outscored both versions of colors on metacritic.
So if you like a Sonic Colors you're a furry? Really, dude? Really?

Reviews don't make a game good or bad. Sonic Colors was a good game, but not a great one. Many people obviously enjoyed it. It's not the next Sonic 2, and it's not trying to be. It has it's own shortcomings as well as it's own strengths, neither of which relate to the previous Sonic abortions. If it were a new IP it would still be enjoyable to play for most people. It obviously didn't click for you but that doesn't mean it is objectively bad.

Played through the iOS version, and I'm pretty impressed. Though the controls obviously weren't optimal, they aren't a deal breaker. I may prefer the JP OST, but the America OST is no slouch either, and I'm REALLY happy that they even went so far as to include some of the extended bits from the old Sonic Boom soundtrack in my favorites (Tidal Tempest and Wacky Workbench specifically). Can't wait for the PSN version tomorrow!
Sounds like they did a great job on the music. Looping and I assume they used the full versions of the US soundtrack (I guess they had to cut back the ones on Mega CD due to only so much disc space left; I suppose this is why Sonic Boom came out).

Any idea if Sonic boom is the extended one too (the sound test version that is, obviously the opening cutscene is fixed length). Off-topic: I remember my borther used to have Sonic Boom as the startup theme on his computer...shame windows gave up playing it afdter I think it was 30 seconds.

bon

So if you like a Sonic Colors you're a furry? Really, dude? Really?

Reviews don't make a game good or bad. Sonic Colors was a good game, but not a great one. Many people obviously enjoyed it. It's not the next Sonic 2, and it's not trying to be. It has it's own shortcomings as well as it's own strengths, neither of which relate to the previous Sonic abortions. If it were a new IP it would still be enjoyable to play for most people. It obviously didn't click for you but that doesn't mean it is objectively bad.

but it wasn't made in the early nineties therefore it's automatically a bad sonic.

why aren't games as fun as when i was a kid? ;_;

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Sciz

What furries, exactly, are using Metacritic in defense of Colors? The people who like it tend to cite things like gameplay and presentation.

qq more

Wow. People liking Sonic Colors are furries? Fuck off.

EDIT: And why the hell are you so fixated on Sonic 4? It is really irritating the shit out of me.

Lijik

What furries, exactly, are using Metacritic in defense of Colors? The people who like it tend to cite things like gameplay and presentation.

Oh no no, see he doesn't mean it like that.
Furries are anyone who doesn't share 0 HP's profound love for the throughly mediocre Sonic the Hedgehog 4, a game he has decided he must defend.

But if we're gonna play METACRITIC WARZ here's the breakdown:
Sonic 4 Wii- 81
Sonic Colors DS- 79
Sonic Colors Wii- 78
Sonic 4 PS3- 74
Sonic 4 360- 72
Sonic 4 iOS- 70

Sonic Colors Average- 78.5
Sonic 4 Average- 74.25

WOW YOU SURE SHOWED EM FURRIES WHAT FER 0 HP.

I might be side-topic here but I needed to express some opinion on the graphic options of this game. Its just that hits a cord with me regarding some bizarre mentality some people have...

There's 3 options, "sharp", "smooth" and "nostalgia". Those a very fucking bad names. First off, "sharp" means "greasy" as it's the most violent filter and it pretty much destroy all the pixel art. Some people like it but this is not "sharp", it's the smoothest filter. "Smooth" is a good name for the second filter as it's just a little blur applied on the original graphics or a different upscaling technique giving a blurry look. Again, I'm not really a fan but it's a nice middle ground and most people will like.

But then there's "nostalgia". What the fuck is this name? lol. What's that supposed to mean? I will like this if I am nostalgic or what? Old graphics? It somehow sting my eyes like the name is pejorative or something. This option simply means "no filter". It's the graphics display exactly as they have been drawn. The exact original intention. Why not call this "true" or "sharp"? What the fuck is relation between nostalgia and wanting to see graphics exactly as they were created? I mean, it's not nostalgic people that should like this option but simply people that like 2D and pixel art and understand what's beautiful about it.

To me this option naming reeks because it's like it implies we need nostalgia to appreciate 2D graphic pixel art as it is. It's just an artstyle and therefore still relevant today...

I came in looking for details on display options and found this. This makes me sad. Seems like M2 is about the only retro/emulation developer that cares about video modes with scanlines.

JonCha

Oh no no, see he doesn't mean it like that.
Furries are anyone who doesn't share 0 HP's profound love for the throughly mediocre Sonic the Hedgehog 4, a game he has decided he must defend.

But if we're gonna play METACRITIC WARZ here's the breakdown:
Sonic 4 Wii- 81
Sonic Colors DS- 79
Sonic Colors Wii- 78
Sonic 4 PS3- 74
Sonic 4 360- 72
Sonic 4 iOS- 70

Sonic Colors Average- 78.5
Sonic 4 Average- 74.25

WOW YOU SURE SHOWED EM FURRIES WHAT FER 0 HP.

lol. If anyone thinks Sonic 4 is better than Sonic Colours, then you simply do not know what you are talking about. IIRC, quite a lot of people said Colours was a consistently good game. Is everyone wrong? I don't think so.

And conveniently, Generations isn't mentioned. Is that a pile of tripe too?

Oh, and I got all of the Time Stones today. Finally.

qq more

lol. If anyone thinks Sonic 4 is better than Sonic Colours, then you simply do not know what you are talking about. IIRC, quite a lot of people said Colours was a consistently good game. Is everyone wrong? I don't think so.

And conveniently, Generations isn't mentioned. Is that a pile of tripe too?

Oh, and I got all of the Time Stones today. Finally.
No one is mentioning Generations because people like PXG and 0HP were acting like Sonic Colors is not a good game factually (or at least coming up with stupid reasons why we like it) for whatever reason.

I thought Wacky Workbench was pretty terrible (US music is awesome, though) although it's been a while since I've last played CD.

Hopefully PSN updates sooner than later today.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The demo...

KYBZW.gif

The filters! The physics! Oh my word, this is the Sonic I remember as a child! Sega, you done me proud!

Except I can't seem to activate the time-travel mechanic worth anything. :/

Yep, Wacky Workbench is still ass after all these years. I've had more fun playing Dimps levels than that. >_>

Wow, no one was kidding about Special Stage 5...

Yep, Wacky Workbench is still ass after all these years. I've had more fun playing Dimps levels than that. >_>

Wow, no one was kidding about Special Stage 5...

Other people had trouble with the fifth Special Stage too? I thought it was harder that the later two, but I thought it was just me.

Top Bottom