• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

qq more

Sega releases an amazing port of Sonic CD.

Capcom releases a god awful "port" of Mega Man X.

Sega > Capcom

Never thought I'd say this...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there anyway to save scum the special stages? Hate the "get all emeralds/whatever" in Genesis Sonic Achievement lists. :/ I'm guessing going back to the main menu before time runs out?

How do I make good futures?

1. Find a sign post marked "Past".
  2. Run until stars begin trailing off of Sonic.
  3. Maintain that rate of speed until Sonic time travels in to the past.
  4. Search the level for what looks to be a group of UFOs with electricity sandwiched between. Destroy it.
  5. If you feel like it: Find a sign post marked "Future" to travel back in to the present, travel to the future again to see the "Good Future" you've made.
  6. Finish the level.

A general tip is that each level usually contains an "easy spot" to time travel at, usually marked by two horizontal springs that will constantly bounce you back and forth.

RagnarokX

I just bought this. Great resolution, perfect sound emulation. Sega, fire Sonic Team and put this guy in charge of Sonic.

Sonic CD is definitely a good game; and this version is much better than the previous version I played, but the level design still feels too sloppy to put it above Sonic 2 and Sonic 3. The levels just don't look organic and there are too many inconsistent mechanics like sections of wall that look like all the other walls letting you pass in front of them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This looks so much better on my TV than in screens. I'm a little rusty, though. :lol

And I guess it doesn't help that I keep pausing the game to check on the cakes and cookies that I'm baking...

And this bit is going to be hell.

Z1p9x.jpg

Synless

1. Find a sign post marked "Past".
  2. Run until stars begin trailing off of Sonic.
  3. Maintain that rate of speed until Sonic time travels in to the past.
  4. Search the level for what looks to be a group of UFOs with electricity sandwiched between. Destroy it.
  5. If you feel like it: Find a sign post marked "Future" to travel back in to the present, travel to the future again to see the "Good Future" you've made.
  6. Finish the level.

A general tip is that each level usually contains an "easy spot" to time travel at, usually marked by two horizontal springs that will constantly bounce you back and forth.

Thanks!

Vorg

Banned
It was great to see that intro again after all these years in much better quality. One thing that bugs me is, didn't the japanese soundtrack have lyrics in the intro? I had a european mega cd at the time and the pal version definitely had lyrics.

qq more

Is there anyway to save scum the special stages? Hate the "get all emeralds/whatever" in Genesis Sonic Achievement lists. :/ I'm guessing going back to the main menu before time runs out?

If I heard correctly, that is what you do. The game will boot you back to the special stage when you load the save.

This looks so much better on my TV than in screens. I'm a little rusty, though. :lol

And I guess it doesn't help that I keep pausing the game to check on the cakes and cookies that I'm baking...

And this bit is going to be hell.

Z1p9x.jpg

Oh don't worry, you can get all of the armors and heart tanks without the need to search for them! Buy them with REAL money! :D!

D:

It was great to see that intro again after all these years in much better quality. One thing that bugs me is, didn't the japanese soundtrack have lyrics in the intro? I had a european mega cd at the time and the pal version definitely had lyrics.
Japanese version had the lyrics too. This port doesn't though. It was removed in fear of uh... licensing issues or something? They couldn't get the rights since the singer or someone died.

I didn't see anyone else answer. I found one review on the Android version mentioning a gamepad so I took a chance.

Plugged in my NES USB Retrobit adapter (used for a NES controller) and it works great! So the Android version does have gamepad support for anyone else wondering.

Suairyu

Banned
Caved and bought the Android version. Was waiting for PC, but it being so cheap I figured what the heck. The server issues were probably fixed by now too.

...lol, nope. One hour in and only on file number 5. At least it won't take all night like some people reported.

Riddle me this, Batman:

Sonic runs straight from present act 2 to the good or bad future. So, the future is only as far away as it takes Sonic to get from one act to the next. (The past could be who knows how long ago, though.)

So then when Sonic makes a good future, why would Robotnik be inclined to build clean looking machinery (and a pink mech) instead of the usual train wreck? Do the generators make Robotnik like nastiness more or something?

Not trying to take anything too seriously, just a funny thought I had.

Suairyu

Banned
Sonic runs straight from present act 2 to the good or bad future. So, the future is only as far away as it takes Sonic to get from one act to the next. (The past could be who knows how long ago, though.)
Off screen journey, not a literal 60 seconds into the future.

So then when Sonic makes a good future, why would Robotnik be inclined to build clean looking machinery (and a pink mech) instead of the usual train wreck? Do the generators make Robotnik like nastiness more or something?
Toxins in the air of bad future make oxidisation of metal occur at a fast rate. That lovely pink rusts into a deep red by the time Sonic and Robotnik slam down.

Not trying to take anything too seriously, just a funny thought I had.
TIMELINES MUST BE TAKEN ONE HUNDRED PERCENT SERIOUSLY IT IS THE INTERNET

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I fucking hate how long it takes to download this fucking game on PSN. It's been 2 hours. 89%... come on!!!
I had to download the 4.00 update too, so it took me a while. >_<

But seriously, this port is amazing; everything feels so right, and it's great that you can switch between the soundtracks (even though you have to exit out and change the music sometimes). I used the Nostalgia filter throughout, and it looked fantastic seeing it in person. And the water in Tidal Tempest is finally its natural colour! :O

I'll start up with Tails later. You can't get some/any trophies with him, right?

This just made me remember how much I love Sonic CD's level aesthetics.

RussellXV

Just completed the game. I was fine until I hit Metallic Madness 3. Had to load up my save a couple of times. I love this game. One thing I hated was Wacky Workbench, but the boss battle was good. Totally worth $5.

MechaX

Just got it off the PSN. I'm kinda sad at the fact that they couldn't get vocals for the original JPN intros and endings, but considering the main vocalist is dead, I guess securing the rights would have been more trouble than its worth. Hopefully Sonic Boom at least has lyrics.

But this game... Yeah, it's still under Sonic 3 and Knuckles and a nudge above Sonic 2 in my eyes, but man, they didn't really think the time traveling out. There is virtually no incentive to go to the future early on unless you're going for curiosity's sake. And some of the Metal Sonic holograms are crazy out of the way. And those special stages... Infinitely more difficult now that the game runs much smoother. But keeping your rings is oddly a challenge throughout each stage.

I'm just like "how the fuck did I even pull this shit off as a kid, with the PC Sonic CD version, with the keyboard."

OK, I just beat it for the first time. Relax guys, I've been out of town.

This might just be the best re-release of a classic game ever. I played with the "sharp" graphics filter and everything looked amazing. Dare I say Sonic's sprite almost looked like it was made in native HD. "Smooth" was a bit blurry, and "nostalgic" was obviously pixelated (but not bad). Framerate was godlike. And the fact that the game has both soundtracks is ridiculous in of itself. Finally, even the achievements look like a labor of love from someone who knows the game very well.

Taxman and whoever else worked on this outdid themselves. I almost feel guilty for only paying $5. If I frequently played on other platforms, I'd happily double-dip just to say "thanks for doing a great game justice in an era of cheap cash-ins".

Ruby, I hope you're listening because I want you to personally tell the Sonic CD/Retro Engine team I said "thanks", and tell the higher-ups at Sega to devote a team to creating content on this engine. Old games (S3&K?), new games (a real Sonic 4), I don't even care. The tech is great and deserves a lot of love. Don't let it go to waste.

thank you based taxman

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, getting through this game with Tails is s easy.
In Sonic 3, I always looked at Tails mode as "Easy Mode". Nice to hear that's still the case here, lol.

Taxman and whoever else worked on this outdid themselves. I almost feel guilty for only paying $5. If I frequently played on other platforms, I'd happily double-dip just to say "thanks for doing a great game justice in an era of cheap cash-ins".
Yeah, this game is definitely a steal at $5. That was a really surprising price point. :O

You can easily tell this port was crafted with respect for the series' past because it does so much right and tries to satisfy fans of the older games (by including Time Attack, Leaderboards, alternate filters, including both soundtracks, extras, Tails Mode). It feels like a love letter written to honour the series, and maybe respect for the series' fans--or at least the older fans of the series. It doesn't feel like a cheap cash-in at all.

Old games (S3&K?), new games (a real Sonic 4), I don't even care. The tech is great and deserves a lot of love. Don't let it go to waste.
I want this more than older games, actually. It seems like a really great engine, so maybe if good maps, level aesthetics, and a small scenario are conceived, then maybe we might get a true Sonic 4 in the end.

I'd take a Sonic 3&K done with this engine in a heartbeat, though. >.>

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I fucking hate how long it takes to download this fucking game on PSN. It's been 2 hours. 89%... come on!!!

So it's not just the Android download that's being shit? God damn Sega, you have this wonderful port, going by impresisons, but you have to fuck things up with your content servers? :( I never played this one so I'm eager to play it :eek:

So this is my first time playing through Sonic CD.

First off, the JPN soundtrack is amazing. Clearly my preferred choice.

Secondly.. yeah the level design.. I'm just not feeling it. Everything feels disjointed and cluttered. It's like none of the stage elements were meant to gel together at all. So far it's a far cry from 1, 2, 3, hell even Sonic 4's level designs felt more cohesive than this. Am I crazy for thinking this? :(

I can't say I'm a fan of the art direction either. Every stage, barring PalmTree Panic, seems like a chaotic mish-mash of neon colors. The genny titles had it right, a nice well thought out color scheme for each stage that was easy on the eyes and could easily be distinguished. If you blurred your vision with any of the old stages, you could still tell which it was just from the color palette. I can't say that for Sonic CD.

Anyway, as far as the overall package it's very nicely done and I'm sure a fantastic port (never played it on other hardware). Compared to the original titles though I can't see this placing anywhere but beneath them. So far anyway. These are my mid-playthrough impressions.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Ps3 folks: grab the theme on the marketplace. It's free, and you should like what you see.
I loooooooooooove the theme. It's so fucking amazing that I'm probably never going to change it. I want to put the background on my laptop, but I have no idea how to save the image.

IpsoFacto

So this is my first time playing through Sonic CD.

First off, the JPN soundtrack is amazing. Clearly my preferred choice.

Secondly.. yeah the level design.. I'm just not feeling it. Everything feels disjointed and cluttered. It's like none of the stage elements were meant to gel together at all. So far it's a far cry from 1, 2, 3, hell even Sonic 4's level designs felt more cohesive than this. Am I crazy for thinking this? :(

No sir, you are not. It's one of the things that throw me off. At any given time you can complete a stage in either 50 seconds por almost 10 minutes, particularly some of the later stages which are hard as f*** because you have no clear way of knowing how to get through them.

You might also have to do a lot of backtracking, since you have Past-Present-Future elements, which also very different from what you'd expect.

Good Future Hint:

"Episode 2 is being developed with a hybrid engine comprised of the Hedgehog Engine and the Retro Engine. Don't ask us how this works, it just does. And 'DIMPS'? Who's that?"

Bad Future Hint:

"Episode 2 will re-introduce the rubber band mechanic from Chaotix. Also we just started making this game last week so hope you weren't expecting more than two zones, or for these zones not to just be reskins of the design team's personal favorites, Sandopolis and Wacky Workbench."

Present/Most-likely Hint:

"This game still exists. Also Tails is in it or some shit, I don't know."

More on topic, is there a way after clearing the game to go back to zones you missed out on creating a Good Future for? Or do I have to create a new save to get that 100% achievement?

Lijik

Bad Future Hint:

"Episode 2 will re-introduce the rubber band mechanic from Chaotix. Also we just started making this game last week so hope you weren't expecting more than two zones, or for these zones not to just be reskins of the design team's personal favorites, Sandopolis and Wacky Workbench."

I can totally see Dimps just chucking in as many gimmicks as they can "You got the ring tethers, you can travel through time, theres a day-night system in the stages now so you can turn into a werehog, the boss fights are all sonic battle style, and theres hub stages. Fuck it."

Koralsky

Finally brought the game (never had the chance to play original Sonic CD) on PSN and i'm totally in love... with both soundtracks. Love them equally.

And, yeah, best 5 dollars I spend the whole year! Thanks Taxman and SEGA (of old?)

Top Bottom