• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

Sciz

C'mon guys, I loved Generations but let's not pretend that the Sonic Cycle isn't still a real thing. An excellent port of Sonic CD isn't further grand justification that a new era of Sonic is in effect.

The cycle isn't just about shit games, it's about a very specific style of shit games and the community reaction to them. Sonic 4 had its own unique set of problems, and Colors and Generations were both well received despite their flaws. There will probably still be some ongoing problems going forward, but the kind of game that birthed the cycle is dead.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
C'mon guys, I loved Generations but let's not pretend that the Sonic Cycle isn't still a real thing. An excellent port of Sonic CD isn't further grand justification that a new era of Sonic is in effect.
Hey, let's review what the Sonic Cycle is, shall we?
1: lack of friends in screens, hype generated, people say it'll be Sonic's return
2: friends shown, new friends announced, gameplay is lacklustre, hopes dashed
3: shitty reviews, disappointment from mostly everyone, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

Essentially, it's about crappy games a la Sonic 2006, Shadow and Sonic and the Black Knight... and the media/community reaction towards them.

From what I recall in the Generations announcement thread, the Sonic Cycle didn't really apply since hype seemed to be increasing with every new media release, and ended up not applying to the game in the end. There were no new friends involved. The friends ended up being in the background and you didn't have to play as them. Reviews didn't necessarily slam the game, and reception on GAF seems to have been mostly positive/satisfied.

The same seems to have gone for Colours Wii. It got good reviews, it only starred Sonic and Tails (with Sonic playable only), good level design, and it seemed to come as a pleasant surprise to some people in the thread altogether.

2/2 isn't bad. 3/3 if we count Sonic CD. At least it seems like they're learning. I will admit that I don't have high hopes--or any hopes--for Sonic 4: Ep 2.

Speaking of which, I'm ridiculously tired, but I guess I'll try the EU demo now.

TheOGB

Banned
Downloaded this morning, haven't gotten to play it yet.

4 more hours of work and then TWO meetings afterwards! D:

Suairyu said:
JP soundtrack = better music
US soundtrack = better soundtrack

Basically, JP tunes sound like songs first and BGM second, whereas it's the other way around with the US. Both have their qualities and both are worth experiencing the game to.
Suairyu said:
I generally thought Sonic CD was a slower paced platformer, to be honest. It was Plot Device: The Hunt: The Game.

Only time you went fast was when you wanted to travel to The Past (never the future, because it's pointless, unless you were trying to 'experience' everything to get your money's worth). Rest of the time you were either hunting for plot devices or going "oh fuck oh fuck I hit a Future post mustn't go too fast".

But seriously, both soundtracks have some quality compositions.
This man duck
is absolutely right

Teknoman

I'm still glad it defaults to the JP soundtrack :p

But the opening really does seem lacking without the lyrics. Probably should've had the foresight to just make Sonic Boom the default opening no matter what.

No loading between time periods is awesome.

0 HP

sonic 4's physics work fine with the level design imo. the homing attack is a little overused, but i really don't see a problem with that. the only thing i didn't like about sonic 4 was how much stuff it blatantly ripped from the genesis games. i have a feeling that's going to be part of 4's twist though with the way they're overselling the connection to sonic cd/time travel/metal sonic. id be surprised if episode 2 didn't start with some shit about how episode 1 took place in the past and metal sonic copied your data from the previous game. you can claim that they're just trying to add credibility to 4, but sega has never given a fuck about sonic cd and if it wasn't for taxman, the game would have probably died with sonic gems collection. dimps has had some pretty nice highs and some pretty embarrassing lows, so its hard to tell what direction they'll go in. sf4 was totally quality however and i find it hard to believe they'll just drop the ball on another major game like sonic 4.

its all way too early to judge though. if sonic fans can be forgiving enough for find enjoyment in sonic unleashed and sa2, i don't see why there's this immediate disgust with sonic 4.

Teknoman

Sonic was just too slow and stiff in 4 ep.1 They really should let Taxman assist with all 2D Sonic titles from this day forward.

That being said, its pretty fun to just play through the game without worrying about making a good future the first time through. Definitely save that/time stone 100% collecting for a second run through, or else you'll ruin your first time playing/ revisiting the game.

andymcc

Banned
No you don't. You can get the good ending by either a) getting all time stones or b) getting all "Good Futures" in all of the acts. You don't have to do both.

News to me (and i've had the game since it's original release)!

i think getting the good futures is the most rewarding, though. seeing how the stages change from the bad future was always one of my favorite elements.

Teknoman

News to me (and i've had the game since it's original release)!

i think getting the good futures is the most rewarding, though. seeing how the stages change from the bad future was always one of my favorite elements.

Yeah, thats why im recommending people playing for the first time just take whatever time path they get set on, instead of aiming for specific stuff. That way you get a chance to see all possibilities by chance.

Teknoman

Even the little things make a big difference: The music loops perfectly now...and for some reason i'm kinda impressed by the ring spin animation. Was it that smooth in the original? I never had a chance to play Sonic CD aside from Gems collection. The special stages are really impressive as far as imaginative design goes (horizontal jupiter in the middle of a lake, precursors to Angel/Floating Island, crazy outer space backgrounds) and i'd like to have seen some of these ideas used in standard Sonic stages too. Well aside from the floating island background, since thats been done twice.

Also dat water.

Played through Sonic CD for the first time ever today. I think it's better than 2, but doesn't compare to the 16-bit magnificence of 3+K.

I played bits and pieces of Sonic CD in the past, and my memory says that the bonus stages performed like ass, and understandably so. It's super slick in this version, probably my favourite Sonic bonus stage.

clav

60 fps special stage makes this game a must buy for any Sonic fan.

What a difference.

If SEGA had ported this game internally, those special stages would probably run worse than how the SEGA CD handled them.

Anyone feel "like a boss" when you speed run a third act?

A little rusty here since it's been a while as I manage to complete them to about over 30 seconds.

Cafeman

Played this for about an hour today. I used the Sharp setting after messing around with smooth and nostaligic; but I might just go back to nostalgic soon. Whichever you pick, they look fine to me. I played using Japanese soundtrack because I never experienced it before - only the American soundtrack.

well, I see the ruckus now over the change - many of the J soundtrack tunes are really pumpin' and ... "fun". They fit the Sonic gameplay like a glove. I loved some of the early boss and 3rd stage tunes. And the win-level music is much more celebratory than the American one, which is a bit dull and goes on for a couple seconds too long. However, nothing compares to hearing "Sonic Boom" on during the cartoon. Wish you could customize!

I also noticed that the ring-spin animation seems to have a few extra frames of animation. And the bonus rounds are super-smooth now, hope nobody gets ill watching it.

What a port! For only $5.00 too. Really, I'm really feeling a Sonic renaissance here, with Sonic Generations, last year's Sonic All-Star Racing (awesome game especially online), and now with this very very generous port which seems to have been a labor of love for the team that did this.

Teknoman

Why doesn't Toot Toot Sonic Warrior have lyrics?

Some kinda licensing agreement I guess.

P

well, I see the ruckus now over the change - many of the J soundtrack tunes are really pumpin' and ... "fun". They fit the Sonic gameplay like a glove. I loved some of the early boss and 3rd stage tunes. And the win-level music is much more celebratory than the American one, which is a bit dull and goes on for a couple seconds too long. However, nothing compares to hearing "Sonic Boom" on during the cartoon. Wish you could customize!

I also noticed that the ring-spin animation seems to have a few extra frames of animation.

What a port! For only $5.00 too. Really, I'm really feeling a Sonic renaissance here, with Sonic Generations, last year's Sonic All-Star Racing (awesome game especially online), and now with this very very generous port which seems to have been a labor of love for the team that did this.

Hit it right on the head. I'd just set Sonic Boom to intro and leave JP music for everything else. I'm glad i'm not the only one that feels the ring animations have something extra.

Oemenia

Banned
Its amazing how this doesnt look like a blurry mess on my 46", then to top it off new physics, proper music loop, smooth 3D stages, wonderful widescreen etc. Its simply a love letter to the fans, normally i stick the originals but this is too much to resist especially at dat pricepoint.

More importantly, i hope people give the US soundtrack an opportunity, if you have listened the rest of his works, then youll know just how special it is.

RobbieNick

One of the best ports I've ever seen. Tops the original by a mile! Glad to see at least the sound bytes weren't taken out of the soundtrack. I can't believe it's cheaper to buy the game than it is the soundtrack on iTunes. It's an absolute bargain!!

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This game is probably worse than I actually remember. Level design is utter shit.

Really nice port, though. Bizarre playing in widescreen. Would love this guy to do the same with the Mega Drive Sonic titles.

Lijik

Let's get this Taxman guy on GAF and then beg him and possibly even bribe or threaten him to work on S3&K next.

Man after that they should just throw an art and sound team at him and have him work at remaking the gamegear titles on the engine.

And then maybe port Chaotix (I just really want to play the special stages in 60fps wide screen, okay?)

Cafeman

Its amazing how this doesnt look like a blurry mess on my 46", then to top it off new physics, proper music loop, smooth 3D stages, wonderful widescreen etc. Its simply a love letter to the fans, normally i stick the originals but this is too much to resist especially at dat pricepoint.

New physics? It feels the same as the original to me, and I've played it many times.

Is there a complete list of 'features' and improvements for this, btw?

One thing I've noticed too - there are differenct kinds of UFO's in the special stages , are there not? Some give you speed shoes, others give you more time but only appear when your time is low, then you also have the UFO's you need to destroy.

Teknoman

Man after that they should just throw an art and sound team at him and have him work at remaking the gamegear titles on the engine.

And then maybe port Chaotix (I just really want to play the special stages in 60fps wide screen, okay?)

That would be amazing, specifically gamegear remakes.

Pietepiet

and for some reason i'm kinda impressed by the ring spin animation.

Haha, I had the exact same reaction! It seems different. Smoother. Very nice :)

This would be amazing. Man, as a pixel-artist I'd so want to be in on something like that!

Jea Song

Did the right thing
IV download on xbla, but where's the psn version? Where's also the Android and ios version? I want to own this game on all platforms.

Chaotix with Sonic and Tails playable (get rid of Heavy and Bomb) and improved level design would be pretty awesome.

If Mario Kart 7 wasn't consuming my time right now I'd be downloading this. Alas! One more circuit.

Sciz

The effort they'd have to put into making Chaotix a good game might as well go towards making a new game.

RobbieNick

IV download on xbla, but where's the psn version? Where's also the Android and ios version? I want to own this game on all platforms.

iOS and Android available tomorrow. (ioS version is $1.99!) PSN America available next week. Available in Euro PSN store now.

Is it wrong that I want to stay in the bad future version of Stardust Speedway cuz the music is so awesome?

Even the little things make a big difference: The music loops perfectly now...and for some reason i'm kinda impressed by the ring spin animation.
Thats good. With the Mega CD it couldn't loop due to technology (I guess) and the tracks actually got slightly louder toward the end as well.

Satchel

Banned
You know, I've owned this game on Mega CD for many years now, and only just played it for the first time a month ago.

Man I did not enjoy it one bit.

Felt like an unfinished beta Sonic game. Blech.

DeVeAn

Props to Taxman. This is so good it hurts. This is how ports should be done. Special stages are harder now because I am not used to it being so smooth. Of course wish the lyrics were there it's just not the same. All in all just fucken wow!

Jea Song

Did the right thing
I never got to own a Sega cd as a child, and this is perhaps the only 2d sonic game IV never played. I so desperately wanted to play this and now I have my chance. It has been proclaim as the greatest 2d sonic. Today I shall seclude myself all alone in my room with this game. Today is a glorious day. I expect tears.

I've done the first 3 areas (i'd call them zones but zones seems to have replaced acts in a madness inducing twist), from what I read here i'm well on my way to bad future ending unless I can get 5 more time stones? not sure I like the idea of trying to explore the past areas for the good future stuff but that aside this game has been very solid thus far.
As i'm not much of a fan of Sonic 1 i've been a bit skeptical of CD since I heard it leans more towards that game as opposed to Sonic 2 but smooth sailing so far and I've got another good sonic water stage with tidal tempest.
Collision chaos was kind of middling though, i'm not even sure what the theme of the zone was but thankfully I get boss stages with rings and the bosses themselves have been interesting so far.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Did the normal spin (press down when running) have a sound in the original? Because it's missing here.
It does in Sonic 2. I don't think it had on Sega CD, which always freaked me out back then, because I played a bunch of Sonic 2..

Either that or i'm projecting my memories.

Top Bottom