• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD (Retro Engine) |OT| Where We're Going, We Don't Need Backbone

Dachande

I never got to own a Sega cd as a child, and this is perhaps the only 2d sonic game IV never played. I so desperately wanted to play this and now I have my chance. It has been proclaim as the greatest 2d sonic. Today I shall seclude myself all alone in my room with this game. Today is a glorious day. I expect tears.

Yeah, it... it's really not. All of the original MD ones are better than CD. But it's pretty good and it's finally got the port a classic Sonic game deserves.

I would do bad things to people to get S3K and Sonic 2 ported like this.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
1080p60 and improved sprite rotation are veeery tempting to retire my mega cd, but the lack of lyrics in the
real
intro and ending makes me hesitate...

Is it ever going to come to JPSN/XBLA unaltered?

qq more

Downloading demo on EU PSN. But it's gonna take an hour. Time to watch the 2 remaining episodes of Community!

EDIT: WOAH WHAT WHY WASN'T THIS LEVEL INCLUDED?! Dear Sega, let Taxman make a new Classic Sonic game with these kind of zones. Seriously!

Teknoman

A whole new zone? Sega, put this man in charge of Sonic 4 ep.2 ASAP.

EDIT: He was actually going to take on the challenge of finishing Dust Hill Zone?

LxkCq.png

Also no one should let a small issue like missing lyrics stop them from the definitive version of Sonic CD. Its got both soundtracks, 1080p, 3 filters for visual preferences, 60 fps locked, improved visuals in certain areas, Tails is playable, and its got all the old school secret stuff still in the game.

I miss the lyrics too, and think they should've just locked Sonic Boom as the intro, but still, thats small compared to all the other amazing improvements.

Cool game, great port but man I'd been upset if I'd bought this as a kid. The pinball stuff is sooo fucking strict, I'd have given up.

This post explains it:

Taxman said:
So what is this image doing in Sonic CD?

Basically, earlier on in the remake's development there were 2 new levels: Desert Dazzle & Final Fever (another boss)

Neither level was fully complete, and we had to make the call whether or not to go ahead and finalize them. Sonic Team felt the game should not deviate too far from it's original form, and in retrospect it was for the best since we had a lot of other work to do anyway.

I left this image in since it's quite a groovy looking Zone, and it also serves as a way for you to get to the stage select as Tails.

andymcc

Banned
A whole new zone? Sega, put this man in charge of Sonic 4 ep.2 ASAP.

EDIT: He was actually going to take on the challenge of finishing Dust Hill Zone?

That would have been so awesome. The cool thing is that it easily could represent Dust Hill or the highly speculated "R2".

iOS and Android available tomorrow. (ioS version is $1.99!) PSN America available next week. Available in Euro PSN store now.

Is it wrong that I want to stay in the bad future version of Stardust Speedway cuz the music is so awesome?

fucking sold. is the iOS version universal, separate apps for both or iphone only??

1080p60 and improved sprite rotation are veeery tempting to retire my mega cd, but the lack of lyrics in the
real
intro and ending makes me hesitate...

the positives definitely outweigh the negatives here for five fucking dollars. buybuybuybuy

Rich!

Got stuck in scenery after warping to the past four times now. Each time required a reset to the title screen.

Fucking ridiculous. Other than that, it's awesome.

Theonik

Honest question: Is the lack of lyrics in TTSW really that much of a deal breaker for some people?
Yeah, not a deal-breaker I mean I still bought the game, but it was still a disappointment. I can probably live with it though.
Edit: That extra zone looks pretty nice. I wonder if they'd consider DLC.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Cool game, great port but man I'd been upset if I'd bought this as a kid. The pinball stuff is sooo fucking strict, I'd have given up.

Exactly, I don't even remember finishing this game when I was younger.

And the special stages. Man, don't even get me started on those. They're almost as bad the ones in sonic advance 2.

So am I misinterpreting that Taxman quote or were Desert Dazzle and Final Fever created specifically for the remake, or leftovers from the original game? Either way a damn shame they didn't finish them off, especially since there was that SCD boss concept art in Generations I didn't remember seeing anywhere in the final Sonic CD.

Oh yeah and the remake's damn spiffy, though I've only played Palmtree Panic so far. Seems easy enough to make stuff in this engine, so I don't know why SEGA's reluctant to swap from S4's Rush engine to this one.

Teknoman

Oh so it just looks kinda similar to the Dust Hill prototype stuff. In that case, that makes me want to see an original Taxman and co. Sonic game even more. And one thats "canon" too.

EDIT: Yeah thats just insane. Sega is on a roll, and they dont want to take whats given to them? Even the art style feels fresher than the brand new assets made for Sonic 4. Not only that, but the engine works great on all platforms.

Dachande

Oh so it just looks kinda similar to the Dust Hill prototype stuff. In that case, that makes me want to see an original Taxman and co. Sonic game even more. And one thats "canon" too.

Don't be too hasty. Taxman's done a really, really fine job on this port, but designing an all-new Sonic game is an entirely different ballgame. Using the engine doesn't guarantee a good game; just because he can code doesn't mean he can design good Sonic levels. Those two extra levels might have been rubbish for all we know.

I honestly never found SCD hard to beat at all as a kid, though it was admittedly one of the first Sonic games I'd played in the late 90's on PC since I was a toddler, so the focus on exploration over running probably didn't strike me as weird either. Only zone I found a pain in the ass was Wacky Workbench (which I'm curious to try out as Tails).

Alphahawk

Can somebody tell me how the various region soundtracks work? Can I select which music I want playing from the option menu, or is it more complicated?

iavi

Who is Blit? They're in the splash screen and whitehead is listed as their lead in the credits, but I can't find a thing out about them online. Were they assembled just for this job?

clav

If you're having trouble finding the robot machine in Wacky Workbench, remember that the grey pillars at the top of the level that appear to crush Sonic actually do not kill him.

Those pillars are transport machines.

Teknoman

Don't be too hasty. Taxman's done a really, really fine job on this port, but designing an all-new Sonic game is an entirely different ballgame. Using the engine doesn't guarantee a good game; just because he can code doesn't mean he can design good Sonic levels. Those two extra levels might have been rubbish for all we know.

You've got a point there. Well they should at least use his engine for the next game, so at least they'll have great performance and fun physics.

ckohler

Can somebody tell me how the various region soundtracks work? Can I select which music I want playing from the option menu, or is it more complicated?
You can switch between US or JP soundtracks from the main menu before you begin playing. If you want to switch, just exit to the main menu, switch and then start back at the beginning of the last zone you were on.

Teknoman

Gotta love Quartz Quadrant bad future and Wacky Workbench past.

EDIT: For Sonic style points, hold up and jump for the figure 8 dash right before the zone cleared text pops up.

qq more

He made a Sonic fan game called Retro-Sonic. One of the old demos included 3 zones, while they weren't fantastic (to be fair, the demo was really damn old), they were at least good in my memory. Funny enough, one of them was Dust Hill Zone. Unfortunately the game was never finished. You are right though, it is a different ballgame making a new Sonic game than remaking one.

Been playing for about an hour so far, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did the last (and previously, only) time I ever played Sonic CD, which was on Sonic Gems Collection. Probably because this time I know you aren't supposed to tear it through each level; I'm taking my time and exploring.

That said, what is the ultimate objective in each level? I know you're supposed to try and get a good future, but do you do that by doing something in the past, and then returning to the present, and then going to the good future and finishing the level there? Is this right? And what am I looking for in the past? Any patterns as to where it's hidden? Searching a whole level is quite demanding...

Also, where does collecting all the Time Stones fit in?

Bad ending get! I have to say that was one of the easier sonic games from the basis of just finishing the stages. I'm almost shocked to say I enjoyed the boss battles, 2D sonic bosses usually have 1 or 2 ones I find complete bastards but this game was pretty good with bosses, each one felt like it had it's own hook aside from "jump into it until it dies".

I have to make a special mention for Metallic Madness, i'm thinking that it was one of the most poorly designed stages i've played in a platformer, it was just a mess, not really difficult though bar the absolutely baffling section of act 3 with the bottomless pit in which your success seems to be dictated by the bumper positions and timing of the crushing cylinder that blocks the path to continue down. Makes me wonder why Wacky Workbench is the seemingly disdained stage when this is in the same game (funny how they both have similar design themes). Maybe it will be more enjoyable in a replay but it lacks a good hook and had me going round in circles for a bit.
Well tomorrow i'll put on the US soundtrack and go for the good future.

Teknoman

Been playing for about an hour so far, and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did the last (and previously, only) time I ever played Sonic CD, which was on Sonic Gems Collection. Probably because this time I know you aren't supposed to tear it through each level; I'm taking my time and exploring.

That said, what is the ultimate objective in each level? I know you're supposed to try and get a good future, but do you do that by doing something in the past, and then returning to the present, and then going to the good future and finishing the level there? Is this right? And what am I looking for in the past? Any patterns as to where it's hidden? Searching a whole level is quite demanding...

Also, where does collecting all the Time Stones fit in?

Collect all time stones or blow up all generators/Metal Sonic holograms in the past to get the good ending. Everything else is just for level variety/story/aesthetics. There arent any real patterns that i've seen (one zone has a generator right at the beginning and you have to back track in the past to get it.

So you can either play it like a normal Sonic game and just focus on getting the special stones of the day, focus on exploring the past, or a combo of the two.

No, terrible levels, sloppy feeling controls.
People should Just watch the Intro and Outro on Youtube.

iIuhpzvZgOkk7.png

Collect all time stones or blow up all generators/Metal Sonic holograms in the past to get the good ending. Everything else is just for level variety/story/aesthetics. There arent any real patterns that i've seen (one zone has a generator right at the beginning and you have to back track in the past to get it.

So you can either play it like a normal Sonic game and just focus on getting the special stones of the day, focus on exploring the past, or a combo of the two.

I'm just gonna play it as it comes on my first playthrough, and I'll try and go for the good ending on my second playhtrough. Seems to be the best way.

Can't get enough of the Japanese soundtrack. I'm glad the American soundtrack is there too though. Having options is never a bad thing!

Top Bottom