• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just finished getting an S-rank on Rouge's horrendous mission. Now I'm ready to go jump off a balcony. :/

Some of these side missions -are- great. They sometimes better clue you in on shortcuts in levels or better train you at using certain abilities or practicing difficult obstacles. But just as often you get pointless shit like Rouge's mission. Sonic Team sorta still doesn't get it.

McNum

balladofwindfishes said:
Final Boss, need help:
Alright, so when I need to push left and right bumpers to smash the fireball... well I don't have a right and left bumper. I have a "a" and "g" key (using a keyboard) which are suppose to be l and r bumper. Trouble is, holding those two keys down did nothing, I still get pushed back and the fight doesn't end.
Are they bound to LB/RB or LT/RT? You want to press LB/RB. The bumpers, not the triggers. The default keys are A and H.

(And if you've managed to get that far with the default keys, you're better at that than me...)

Nabs

RocketDarkness said:
The stage becomes infinitely more enjoyable once you know the best paths, and it becomes under five minutes. The first time through, though...ugh. I wanted to kill someone. And in Classic Sonic's version, they fucked up Spikes by not giving you Color's double-jump. That level made me feel so claustrophobic, ugh. @_@

Yeah, I think I had a problem with the length. It felt like they tried to fit the entire Planet into one level (twice). I'm also missing the tall grass!

Box of Bunnies said:
I'd like to see entirely optional alternate playable characters who're basically just tweaked versions of Sonic (different speed/jump attributes, abilities that allow them to access areas of the stage that the others can't/as easily) return to the series. Maybe have them unlock once the game's been cleared with Sonic as a means of increasing replayability given the game's short length.

This is exactly what Blaze is in the Sonic Rush games. She's unharmed by flame attacks and can get loftier jumps out of her aerial tricks, and I think I remember having a sort of glide, but she runs and aerial tricks a little slower than Sonic.

To be honest, if they followed the Sonic Rush framework, and not the 2006 framework, they could put her into the game right now with no real issues. But that would be kind of missing the point of the game.

McNum said:
Are they bound to LB/RB or LT/RT? You want to press LB/RB. The bumpers, not the triggers. The default keys are A and H.

(And if you've managed to get that far with the default keys, you're better at that than me...)
yea, modern sonic has been a pain with the keyboard. I had to beat Silver using both hands on the asdfgh keys lol.

I might be having trouble because I was pressing g. I'll try h and see if that works

Trying to get all the Red Rings as Modern Sonic, having a hell of a time with Planet Wisp, Seaside Hill and City Escape. Got all 5 on all the others.

Berordn

Box of Bunnies said:
I'd like to see entirely optional alternate playable characters who're basically just tweaked versions of Sonic (different speed/jump attributes, abilities that allow them to access areas of the stage that the others can't/as easily) return to the series. Maybe have them unlock once the game's been cleared with Sonic as a means of increasing replayability given the game's short length.
Well, that's what most people are talking about when it comes to adding playable characters, particularly if they follow the S3&K model of including some unique paths per character too. There's no real reason why we couldn't get a Tails/Knuckles mode for the Classic levels at least, except that there wouldn't be much point if they're just running through the same paths without being drastically different.

Nocturnowl said:
Oddly enough my personal favorite character to use aside from Sonic is the often disdained Cream the Rabbit which be extension makes her one of my favorite "shitty" friends....I regret nothing.
You're my new best friend.

Box of Bunnies said:
The problem with the fallout from the post-Saturn pre-Unleashed era is that people didn't look at WHY other playable characters were bad in those instances (compulsory, ill-fitting playstyles, shoehorned into what the games liked to call plot) and instead just went the "no shitty friends, Sonic only" route. Sure, it makes sense to scale back the plots and cast and go for something purely Sonic focused as the main game after how bloated and unwieldy all that shit was getting, but there's no harm in others being unlockable extras or whatever.

Personally i've always liked the option of multiple characters in the 2D games since they play similarly to Sonic yet have their own traits that make replays different and in some cases lead to different paths through a stage. Oddly enough my personal favorite character to use aside from Sonic is the often disdained Cream the Rabbit which be extension makes her one of my favorite "shitty" friends....I regret nothing.

I'd have loved Generations to have optional alternate characters off the base of sonic to be used in the main acts, i've never been bothered much by the side characters so even if they were Shadow and Silver I wouldn't complain if they had their own tricks but kept the style of Sonic.

Kulock said:
But that would be kind of missing the point of the game.
I don't know, alternate characters were a staple of the series right up until Colors basically (werehog is essentially a different character).

In the classic era you have Tails, Knuckles, Amy (lol) and Metal Sonic, all of which have potential to be playable
In the Dreamcast era you have Shadow, Cream (lol) and Rouge
In the modern era you have Blaze and Silver

Of that Tails, Knuckles, Metal Sonic, Shadow and Blaze would make the most sense. Two of those already have most of the animations needed to be playable (Shadow and Metal Sonic), while Tails, Knuckles and Blaze already have models in the game, which would need animations but they could probably figure out a way to port animations to them from older games (like 2006 maybe?)

In this speedrun how does the guy pull off that trick he does after the first big loop? I'm trying to replicate it, by sliding before the boost pad then jumping at the highest point of the hill, but I can't seem to pull it off. Is he doing something different and how is it even possible?!

I honestly don't understand how Cream gets so much hate from the list of the shitty friends. She's a little kid (as in, younger than all the rest of them by far), that's why she acts the way she does.

Big the Cat is easily the shittiest of the shitty friends. Well, Elise really is, but she's so terrible that they've disavowed all knowledge of her existence.

Anth0ny

Box of Bunnies said:
The problem with the fallout from the post-Saturn pre-Unleashed era is that people didn't look at WHY other playable characters were bad in those instances (compulsory, ill-fitting playstyles, shoehorned into what the games liked to call plot) and instead just went the "no shitty friends, Sonic only" route. Sure, it makes sense to scale back the plots and cast and go for something purely Sonic focused as the main game after how bloated and unwieldy all that shit was getting, but there's no harm in others being unlockable extras or whatever.

THIS.

I've said it before, I'd be fine with them using Shadow in the games... if he played just like Sonic. I enjoyed his stages in Adventure 2. Even Cream and Amy in the Advance games were fine.

However, it's when they get into emerald hunting/mech shooting/psychic powers
/boost gameplay
territory that they need to take a step back and understand how badly they're fucking up.

balladofwindfishes said:
In the classic era you have Tails, Knuckles, Amy (lol) and Metal Sonic, all of which have potential to be playable
In the Dreamcast era you have Shadow, Cream (lol) and Rouge
In the modern era you have Blaze and Silver

Why the lol? There is nothing wrong with classic Amy.

Klaymator14 said:
In this speedrun how does the guy pull off that trick he does after the first big loop? I'm trying to replicate it, by sliding before the boost pad then jumping at the highest point of the hill, but I can't seem to pull it off. Is he doing something different and how is it even possible?!
Interesting trick there, wonder if I can use it on speed highway!

Box of Bunnies said:

I like this kind of thinking.

balladofwindfishes said:
I have nightmares of her controlling like she did in Advance.

Her missions were a chore because she's slow, can't jump on enemies and can't spin drill.

I never had a problem. Even then, if she were playable it wouldn't have to be like that.

Anth0ny said:
THIS.

I've said it before, I'd be fine with them using Shadow in the games... if he played just like Sonic. I enjoyed his stages in Adventure 2. Even Cream and Amy in the Advance games were fine.

However, it's when they get into emerald hunting/mech shooting/psychic powers
/boost gameplay
territory that they need to take a step back and understand how badly they're fucking up.

I agree, It was only Adventure 2 that the friend hate REALLY took off. It was fun to pick on Big the Cat in SA1 because of his shitty fishing thing, but it was like a side story, you could play as Sonic solidly if you wanted... The fact Adventure 2 FORCED these shitty shooting/treasure hunting things into the main story was what turned everything sour imo. Shadow was never really a problem until Heroes continued to piss everyone off with team play and then his own game was the final straw.

SA1 did a lot of things right regarding the other characters.. Tails was great and Amy wasn't awful either. I wasn't a fan of the shooting or fishing at all but they were relatively short campaigns.. I didn't mind the Knuckles treasure hunting until SA2.

Having said that, if they made something like Radical Highway DLC with Shadow playable, I'd be up for that. Tails in his mecha bot...... Not so much.

qq more

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
It was fun to pick on Big the Cat in SA1 because of his shitty fishing thing, but it was like a side story, you could play as Sonic solidly if you wanted...
But you can't unlock Super Sonic without playing Big the Cat's awful campaign. Although you're right that it wasn't as much of a big deal compared to how SA2 handled the whole shitty friends thing.

Klaymator14 said:
Every time I watch one of these, I completely lose whatever will I have to attempt to make it on to the leaderboards.

Shizzlee

Klaymator14 said:

You need to be going at a certain rate of speed which is why it's normally done after speed strips. Hold the control stick in a specific position while holding slide then jump. I'm on the PS3 and it's somewhere near the bottom-left corner of the select button. Up and slightly to the right. You have to hold in that direction while Sonic is airborne. Push down to slow down. Land with a stomp while holding up so Sonic slides and you can jump again to keep the glitch going. It's the only glitch that has carried over from Unleashed and it's much more precise/harder to do in Generations. Also, I think that Green Hill Modern is the only Modern stage where it's actually useful. You can do it all day in Classic Sonic stages right after a spindash if you get it right.

If you have Unleashed then go in Apotos Day Act 3 while holding up and slightly to right. Keep on the high path. If you are holding in the right spot then Sonic will go very fast off of the rail after the three dash rings, and if you holding in the perfect direction then you should notice the speed earlier than that. Since you don't need to hold slide in order to do it in this level, it might be easier to find the angle. For Generations, it works in the same general area.

qq more said:
But you can't unlock Super Sonic without playing Big the Cat's awful campaign. Although you're right that it wasn't as much of a big deal compared to how SA2 handled the whole shitty friends thing.

This is true.. But at least it was short and not intertwined with the decent stuff.

It was like drinking a shot of shit, quick and relatively painless.... As opposed to pouring the shot of shit into a barrel of beer making the whole thing taste of crap lol.

Shizzlee said:
You need to be going at a certain rate of speed which is why it's normally done after speed strips. Hold the control stick in a specific position while holding slide then jump. I'm on the PS3 and it's somewhere near the bottom-left corner of the select button. Up and slightly to the right. You have to hold in that direction while Sonic is airborne. Push down to slow down. Land with a stomp while holding up so Sonic slides and you can jump again to keep the glitch going. It's the only glitch that has carried over from Unleashed and it's much more precise/harder to do in Generations. Also, I think that Green Hill Modern is the only Modern stage where it's actually useful. You can do it all day in Classic Sonic stages right after a spindash if you get it right.

Thank you! I'll try it out, I can't believe I've been doing it wrong this whole time :p Thank you thank you thank you

Took me three hours to play through the entire game again to get to Planet Wisp but yay, 100% achievements!

First retail game I've ever 100%ed.

Tnl8O.png

Dark Schala said:

Thanks for that! Holy crap *facepalm* Why was I such a noob and thought I had to keep pressing the square button. Supposed to hold it down rofl. I beat it with 6 rings to spare!

I already got the trophy for finishing half the challenges, I'll go back to it someday later. Now I wanna start Kirby's Return to Dream Land.

Great job SEGA, but the controls still need a bit work! I really enjoyed playing as Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic wasn't as bad as some of the games.

^_^

Enjoying this game ..levels are very good ( speed highway )
but the boss fights are really weird.
Robo sonic was alright .. shadow battle was just barely enough but still fun.

Perfect chaos was bad .i loved the idea of a full level (especially now that you're not in super sonic mode ) but the controls were messy for me and i had way too many cheap deaths .
Death egg robo was ..not fun

love the game but the boss fights need some serious work if they want to improve on that formula

TheOGB

Banned
Finally able to play this game again! Time to finish up the DC Era with Classic Sonic.

I love how everytime I got hit by the GUN truck it knocked me all the way to the high path. Thank god for the Sure-Footed skill. :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just realized that getting S-ranks on all the challenge missions is NOT required for any achievement. That's kinda bullshit I guess, wasted so much time working on those!

ShadiWulf

Brandon F said:
Just realized that getting S-ranks on all the challenge missions is NOT required for any achievement. That's kinda bullshit I guess, wasted so much time working on those!
Does it unlock anything? I noticed they sparkle when you get a S rank, or is that just aesthetics and nothing else?

0 HP

i just realized i never played the metal sonic rival fight on hard. so i did. what a short, easy disappointment.

ShadiWulf

could someone tell me what I need to do to unlock
starlight zone
?
I really want to play through Speed Highway Act 1 with that song. xD

Throavium

Seaside Hill is a nightmare, I find myself wanting to run 500 MPH the entire stage instead of actually platforming. Then I'm wondering, how are people speed running stages like these, with so many interruptions in the running?

TheOGB

Banned
YEAH, GET YO ASS WHOOPED SHADOW

Both acts of Seaside Hill are pretty meh, but that's the only low point so far (other than me kinda sucking). Onto Crisis City...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
TheOGB said:
YEAH, GET YO ASS WHOOPED SHADOW

Both acts of Seaside Hill are pretty meh, but that's the only low point so far (other than me kinda sucking). Onto Crisis City...
crisis city is godlike

ShadiWulf said:
could someone tell me what I need to do to unlock
starlight zone
?
I really want to play through Speed Highway Act 1 with that song. xD

Just keep completing challenges and getting S ranks. That song is one of the later ones to unlock.

I feel like the people who are saying some of the acts are bad, are probably just playing them once and moving on. Not really exploring the multiple route potential. I liked all the acts in Generations it's just a matter of which ones went above and beyond. Seaside Hill has a lot of interesting things going on for it, and even the slower paths are still fun to play through, which comes in handy when you need to explore everything for red rings.

At this point I just want more levels, hopefully this game sold really well and DLC comes out like mad. Metal Harbor re-imagined in Generations could be god like. Either that Final Rush or Dragon Road :O.

TheOGB

Banned
crisis city, why do you hate me D:

rooftop run doesn't hate me, so what did I do to deserve your scorn?
other than bash the fuck out of the game you came from, but it was shitty. what, do you want me to lie?

QisTopTier said:
crisis city is godlike
I hope it gets that way once I play it a few more times ._.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
TheOGB said:
Take it slowish. Don't boost outside of tapping it for short burst to skip over small sections. The entire place is platforming perfection based not so much hauling straight through. Hell the correct paths for it is kinda zig zaged even.

The first time you play the level try not to boost at all except the final part. Just so you get the hang of the zone first. That level really should of been the last one but they did the whole chronological order thing.

TheOGB said:

rooftop run doesn't hate me, so what did I do to deserve your scorn?
other than bash the fuck out of the game you came from, but it was shitty. what, do you want me to lie?

Play through it without boosting a couple times, or even just once, most of the frustration I've seen from friends playing the harder levels is them just boosting too recklessly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TheOGB said:
Crisis City gets better and better with every playthrough. Take your time and don't bother going as fast as possible until you replay it and learn the stage design. Also, the advice to not boost much is correct as well.

Or you can just compare it with the '06 version's constantly throwing cars and crap at you. :p

ShockingAlberto said:
This should have been the standard the final boss was held to

Instead it was a cheap, poorly made, and likely rushed copy.
Exactly.

Top Bottom