• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

MIMIC said:
That
Shadow boss
stage: WTF am I supposed to be doing? lol

The time got to 6+ minutes when I realized that I was not making any inroads.

That happened to me because the game glitched on me and the AI got stuck in a wall. Took several minutes before I figured out what happened.

That's happened to me on a lot of the modern Sonic stages, like the one where the giant-ass truck chases after you.

rallyart

Neo Member
Teknoman said:
Thats what worked for me. Whoever said this game has too much tearing must've been looking too hard. Either that or it has more to do with the resolution the game was running at(not sure if that would have any effect)? 1440x900 and very minor tearing, almost unnoticeable except in the hub when the background is all white.

There is no chance at all for me running this game...

Now, if I disable ingame vsync, max fps I get is 54 fps, no matter what setting I use with it.

I really hope some patch for this.

Anyway, thanks for your answer.

For years I was free of the Sonic cycle but I caved and bought this game, damn am I glad I did. Only played through the first level as classic and modern Sonic thus far but it's pretty much the most amazing thing ever, mainly because of the classic Sonic bits. It looks so pretty and it runs so smoothly.

C606987E5F1A64864CE613F4760A15C70EE051AF

ED15C914D5B014968D12361C3BEB7DCED08518D4

BCF4EAA2C87E51AC34CE1153DA495726D5011AC3

B53F6AB5D6EFDB94101BA3AD908C74C4CC5C7FB9

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dangry/screenshot/649870345900473933/?tab=public

Oreoleo

MIMIC said:
That
Shadow boss
stage: WTF am I supposed to be doing? lol

The time got to 6+ minutes when I realized that I was not making any inroads.

yeah it took me like 8 or 9 minutes my first try cause it took so long to figure out what i was supposed to do. just
boost boost boost towards the pink ball in front of you and shadow and you will absorb it or somesuch to fill a meter that allows you to attack shadow and beat him.

spoilered cause i don't want to give it away for anyone who wants to figure it out themselves.

Nocturnowl said:
Platinum Trophy obtained, my first one in fact. I figured i'd go for it as upon getting all the items I was pretty much 90% there, though I did have to relive the crummy final boss multiple times for my last one "beat the final boss without getting hit", I can barely tell if i've been hit in the first place! that fight it still a colossal mess even when you know what you're doing.
Neat. I'm looking to do the same, actually. How long did it take you?

Pachinko

Okay I was looking around for framerate fixes online for this (pc version obviously) and the one that worked for me was manually turning off crossfire, it just doesn't work in this game.

Course since it's a 360 / ps3 release, a single 5870 is more than enough to run it at almost a rock solid 60 fps with everything turned up (the few options there are).

I've now played each act in the first 6 zones as well as doing the metal sonic rival battle and the battle with sonic 2's final boss.

My thoughts are so far- modern sonic versions of classic sonic levels are OK but nothing amazing, classic sonic in classic stages are for the most part good outside of a couple sections in each. Modern sonic in modern stages however is pretty fun , classic sonic in modern stages slightly less so. I would have really liked if they'd simply made a full on classic sonic game with this engine, 2-3 acts per zone with a proper boss for each , each stage brand new and custom built just for this but I can see why they had to mix the 2 together.

The first boss fight was kind of annoying , they tried to add a quicktime event and change it up from how it worked originally , only annoying because I didn't instantly figure out how to land on the arm.

Rival battle with metal sonic was fun though.

Once I fixed the preformance issues and got to playing it a bit more I'm finding this game is pretty good overall. I Still have to get the keys for the second boss, do the second rival battle and open up the last few stages but this is already more entertaining than 90% of the sonics that came before it.

Zomba13

This game is sooooo good.

I've done all the challenges and Red Rings up to City Escape now. So much fun.
I think City Escape Act 1 might be my favourite stage in the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
rallyart said:
There is no chance at all for me running this game...

Now, if I disable ingame vsync, max fps I get is 54 fps, no matter what setting I use with it.

I really hope some patch for this.

Anyway, thanks for your answer.
I had to use "DXWind" to force the game into windowed mode. In fullscreen, it stuttered and hitched like crazy. In windowed mode (even using the same resolution) it runs infinitely smoother and holds 60 fps 95% of the time.

Also, installing it to my SSD made a big difference as well (as far as removing large pauses and drops).

rallyart

Neo Member
dark10x said:
I had to use "DXWind" to force the game into windowed mode. In fullscreen, it stuttered and hitched like crazy. In windowed mode (even using the same resolution) it runs infinitely smoother and holds 60 fps 95% of the time.

Also, installing it to my SSD made a big difference as well (as far as removing large pauses and drops).

Thanks, I´m going to try this.

The WORST final boss I have ever played in my life!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!?!?

Playing as Super Sonic sucks ass too, how did they screw that up.

This game is all over the place. Its a disappointment to me. Colors was way better.

Just finished all of the Challenge acts for the first 6 stages! What a feat that was, holy crap I got pissed off at the
Doppelganger Challenges.
I haven't got all of the Red Rings though, kinda just skipped them. Maybe I should go back and get them?

I hate how there aren't any special stages, wtf dude...a Chaos Emerald for beating a boss...lame

Sometimes the game seems clunky and it has a random freeze, hopefully SEGA can issue a patch to fix those problems. (PS3 version by the way...)

spindashing said:
Neat. I'm looking to do the same, actually. How long did it take you?
The platinum? Well I got the game last Wednesday, played a fair amount of it each day. while I can't narrow down the time specifically (unless the game has that record floating around the options and I didn't notice). It can easily be done within a week playing just a bit per day. You're basically doing....
- The main game
- The missions
- S ranking main stages (not for missions thankfully)
- Red ring collecting which links into collecting all the skills, music and artwork
- Miscellaneous stuff like beating Chemical plant modern without going in the water and speeding through GHZ in under a minute.
- Going through every stage yet again in time attack/ranking
It probably goes without saying but if you have trouble finding red rings remember you can ask Sonic's friends for hints, I had to cave in for advice for my last 5 red rings.

TEJ

Is it possible to beat the main game without all of the chaos emeralds? The rival battle with shadow is absolutely infuriating me.

TEJ said:
Is it possible to beat the main game without all of the chaos emeralds? The rival battle with shadow is absolutely infuriating me.
I think it's part of the story so you'll have to get it to beat the game.

You need to boost ahead and collect the pink light, and then you activate it and bump into meteors to slow down Shadow. Then you have to boost into Shadow until he runs out of rings and loses. Voila

Nocturnowl said:
The platinum? Well I got the game last Wednesday, played a fair amount of it each day. while I can't narrow down the time specifically (unless the game has that record floating around the options and I didn't notice). It can easily be done within a week playing just a bit per day. You're basically doing....
- The main game
- The missions
- S ranking main stages (not for missions thankfully)
- Red ring collecting which links into collecting all the skills, music and artwork
- Miscellaneous stuff like beating Chemical plant modern without going in the water and speeding through GHZ in under a minute.
- Going through every stage yet again in time attack/ranking
It probably goes without saying but if you have trouble finding red rings remember you can ask Sonic's friends for hints, I had to cave in for advice for my last 5 red rings.

Well, that's good to know. That means that I only have to S-Rank Planet Wisp Act 2 for that trophy, then.

dark10x said:
I thought Colors was pretty ho-hum after Unleashed, but this decimates both of them.

what is it about colors that is ho-hum? from the videos, it seems like it stops in the middle of levels to fiddle around with a power-up. it seems like it kills the pace, but that could just the couple of videos i watched.

milkyjay20 said:
what is it about colors that is ho-hum? from the videos, it seems like it stops in the middle of levels to fiddle around with a power-up. it seems like it kills the pace, but that could just the couple of videos i watched.
I haven't played generations but the jumping in Colors was a bit wonky, and yeah the stages didn't have the best flow either. There were also a lot of random death moments that reminded me of SA 1/2,

TEJ

MidnightScott said:
I think it's part of the story so you'll have to get it to beat the game.

You need to boost ahead and collect the pink light, and then you activate it and bump into meteors to slow down Shadow. Then you have to boost into Shadow until he runs out of rings and loses. Voila

By the time I actually do this he has 80 billion rings and I only have enough boost power to take out 10 rings. and yes I have been hitting him with those rocks.

I have loved the game so far but this is almost enough to make me rage quit.

McNum

TEJ said:
By the time I actually do this he has 80 billion rings and I only have enough boost power to take out 10 rings. and yes I have been hitting him with those rocks.

You'll want to... this is going to sound wrong... get inside Shadow. Meaning when you're chasing him in the meteor part and you've slowed him down enough for you to cach him, Boost into him and keep overlapping him. You'll drain his rings really fast.

I finally beat Vector's stupid challenge in Rooftop Run!!! LOL that was a bad designed challenge (got 100% challenges now)

some zones have grown on me, some zones play better if you change the music depending on taste

but none of that fixes the horribleness of Crisis City, yuck fuck Crisis City

Open Your Heart

Grisby

MiamiWesker said:
The WORST final boss I have ever played in my life!!!!!! WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!?!?

Playing as Super Sonic sucks ass too, how did they screw that up.

This game is all over the place. Its a disappointment to me. Colors was way better.
Any tips? I keep hearing about it and am probably going to be fighting it tonight.

Eh, still alternating between having to play bursts of this on a friend's PS3 and waiting for the PC version to get here, but the homing attack in this actually seems okay. At least in comparison to S4 since it stops you dead in your tracks if you try to spam it outside of enemy chains and it works more as a way of having a split second second-chance to correct a platforming mistake instead of a way to justify slap-hazard level design.

If Episode 2 absolutely has to include it again, I'd prefer it be more like this with maybe requiring a bit of a charge to work to balance it even more.

dock

People mentioning shitty friends chatting at you makes me fear this game.

The menus in Sonic Rush still give me the shivers.

Grisby said:
Any tips? I keep hearing about it and am probably going to be fighting it tonight.

Its so terribly designed but all you really have to do is hold boost, keep moving forward and avoid everything it throws at you. When its in the tube of light be in modern mode when it moves outside switch to classic. Just aim for its center spot, never use the X move.

ckohler

TEJ said:

I got stuck here to. The trick was realizing you have to hit EVERY meteor in order to catch up to him properly before you waste your boost. Save your boost until you've hit all the meteors and then use it exclusively for hitting Shadow. If you miss just one meteor, just do the whole "energize" chase cycle over again and save your boost. I think people are assuming you are hitting all the meteors but if you're missing one on your way to him then you'll never catch up enough to boost into his body and make the rings fly out in showers.

dock said:
Wasn't there some talk of them badgering you during boss fights?
I think someone mentioned it was only during the final boss, but I've been trying to keep information to a minimum since I haven't gotten a chance to play this yet.

Zomba13

dock said:
Wasn't there some talk of them badgering you during boss fights?
They are only annoying in the last boss fight, repeating 'advice' over and over. The only other times they talk is during cutscenes, in some challenges when they do stuff or when you talk to them. When you talk to them they only say a little thing, the rest is text.

McNum

Professor Beef said:
I believe you have to initiate the conversation, IIRC.
And most of it is text only. They have an intro, a generic hello, and a few lines in cutscenes and occasional one-off challenges or boss fights. They're pretty off to the side in this game.

The worst they get is in the final boss fight. "Yes, thank you, I can see it's attacking. Yes, I know what that move does, it did it before." But mostly they're not there.

TEJ

ckohler said:
I got stuck here to. The trick was realizing you have to hit EVERY meteor in order to catch up to him properly before you waste your boost. Save your boost until you've hit all the meteors and then use it exclusively for hitting Shadow. If you miss just one meteor, just do the whole "energize" chase cycle over again and save your boost. I think people are assuming you are hitting all the meteors but if you're missing one on your way to him then you'll never catch up enough to boost into his body and make the rings fly out in showers.

sounds good

still, do skills work in rival battles? That speed up skill or the bigger boost meter would help immensely.

ckohler

TEJ said:
sounds good

still, do skills work in rival battles? That speed up skill or the bigger boost meter would help immensely.
I don't know as I haven't used any skills and I didn't use any when I beat Shadow. So, they might work and might help but they aren't required.

Just downloaded this for PC for $25 from Amazon. It runs like the Sonic of my dreams, just gorgeous. Why the heck, though, doesn't it let me change, or even TELL ME, what the keyboard controls are? Get those blue A's and green X's the f outta here...

The Classic stages are great but man most of the Modern stages so far (through 6) are crazy disappointing. Getting the exact opposite out of the game as I was hoping I would.

ckohler

What don't you like about the modern stages? I'm having much more fun playing those. There's just something crazy satsifying about mastering those modern stages where it becomes clear that it's not just about boosting and pushing forward. To be good you need a precise mix of boosting, precision jumping and careful timing to use all the shortcuts. The classic stages are great also, though.

volturnus

Banned
Isn't it strange that Big the Cat is absent in the game? Not that I like him, but he is in quite a few games from the ''main'' series.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Throavium said:
I wasn't aware that Steam gives you Megadrive Classics along with Sonic Generations when you buy it.

They don't. It's a bug in the Steam version of the game. If you run it, it just crashes out with an application data error.

Kaijima said:
It's not an illusion. It's a big beef I came to have with the game. Modern Sonic is a lot heavier than in say, Sonic Colors. Tested this by loading Colors and going to any open area where you're free to stop and run around a bit.

Sonic Colors: instant response to analog stick, gets up to his medium jogging speed fast.

Generations: while he does respond to direction input immediately he is sloooow to start really moving. Also, when at high speed, he turns a lot more sharply than Colors, making his control mousy and slippery.

It's too bad. I thought they 100% nailed how he should move in Colors. I can't imagine why they'd change it so much.

I thought the controls in Colors were super super swimmy. At both high and low speeds, Sonic's acceleration gave him considerable (and unnecessary) weight. In Generations, Modern Sonic can be a bit sluggish at lower speeds, but that's easily corrected with the Acceleration skill.

It's switching to Classic Sonic that can seem kind of weird - he might have better air control, but I find myself really missing some of Modern Sonic's moves, especially the stomp and air dash. It would have been a lot better if stuff like the elemental shields weren't equippable skills and could be found normally in levels.

man, I am ADDICTED to speed highway modern speed runs, it's AMAZING!!! such a great flowing level for maximizing boost spamming!

It's all about boosting at the right times for that tiny little speed advantage, love it.

Fraps really hates generations, might be because the game streams from the HDD a hell of a lot and often, messes up frap recordings.

MNC

dark10x said:
What on earth makes you say that? The controls in Sonic Adventure are absolute garbage next to Generations. It's not even a comparison. Generations allows for absolute precision.
Because I now have to use that godawful speedboost to get further than 10 cm to a different platform and I fail even harder.

just to reiterate, what I'm talking about is

Sonic Adventure: Homing attack gives sonic a small speedboost because he keeps his forward momentum when he uses it
Sonic Modern: Loses all forward momentum after the attack, instead has now a ridiculous speedboost.

Teknoman

ckohler said:
What don't you like about the modern stages? I'm having much more fun playing those. There's just something crazy satsifying about mastering those modern stages where it becomes clear that it's not just about boosting and pushing forward. To be good you need a precise mix of boosting, precision jumping and careful timing to use all the shortcuts. The classic stages are great also, though.

This.

Nabs said:
Damn, they really messed up Planet Wisp. Oh well! Everything else has been good.
The stage becomes infinitely more enjoyable once you know the best paths, and it becomes under five minutes. The first time through, though...ugh. I wanted to kill someone. And in Classic Sonic's version, they fucked up Spikes by not giving you Color's double-jump. That level made me feel so claustrophobic, ugh. @_@

Top Bottom