• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

ULTROS! said:
Vector's beat challenge is the fucking worst.

Another one joins the club :lol

Samus4145 said:
Am I the only that can't stand the fact you have to complete 3 challenges to move on? It's a game breaker for me.

I was at first, but a lot of the challenges are pretty easy, so it doesn't take much effort.

For Vector's challenge, get up close, and try to bounce the majority of notes back less than half a second after he sends them back. For the high ones, I had better luck standing just in front of them, and homing attacking back toward the screen to hit them.

Rlan said:
Funny that the Vector Classic challenge on Crisis City is kind of cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZgRLLtLYz8

Vector the Yoshi?

Well, you could pick up and throw your partner in Chaotix too, so it sort of makes sense as a reference. Just not with this level of precision.

Kulock said:
For Vector's challenge, get up close, and try to bounce the majority of notes back less than half a second after he sends them back. For the high ones, I had better luck standing just in front of them, and homing attacking back toward the screen to hit them.

Well, you could pick up and throw your partner in Chaotix too, so it sort of makes sense as a reference. Just not with this level of precision.

The homing attack just feels like it works only 75% of the time or less, so many times I miss it even though Im clearly within range of doing a homing attack.

Dedication Through Light said:
The homing attack just feels like it works only 75% of the time or less, so many times I miss it even though Im clearly within range of doing a homing attack.
If you were within range, there would be cross-hairs locked on. It's not that tough.

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
If you were within range, there would be cross-hairs locked on. It's not that tough.

But there's definitely a lot of times where it feels like it should be in range but it isn't. You have to train yourself not to watch the distance of the object but to listen for the lock-on confirmation beep.

Samus4145 said:
Am I the only that can't stand the fact you have to complete 3 challenges to move on? It's a game breaker for me.

Game breaker?! What. Most of the challenges barely last a minute! The loading times in Sonic 06 were longer lol

protip on beatin Vector's stupid challenge,

when jumping, do a medium to high jump keeping finger pressed to have more airtime and height

only do Homing Attacks when you hear the TARGET reticule Sound then home attack.
Don't judge homing attacks on sight alone, just do when the TAREGET reticule sounds on

jump on a note without doing a Homing Attack will cause you to lose, it's is so whack

Samus4145

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Game breaker?! What. Most of the challenges barely last a minute! The loading times in Sonic 06 were longer lol
it doesn't inspire me to move on. I never like being forced to do challenges in games. But I'll go through as outside if that the game is solid.

Just my personal opinion, but it won't effect my review as I said the main game is fun. As for sonic 06, let's bit even go there.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I really wish they put Night Palace, Levitated Ruin, or Sand Oasis from Sonic and the Secret Rings somewhere in this game.

Secret Rings has always been my favorite of this generation unless you count rush, so its disappointing to see it under represented. It was like sonic unleashed except it came first and had no warehog sections.

Tizoc

Gotta agree on how restarting a main stage costs a life.
Maybe an update patch should be done so that if you've beaten the game, restarting a stage doesn't cost a life?

Tizoc said:
Gotta agree on how restarting a main stage costs a life.
Maybe an update patch should be done so that if you've beaten the game, restarting a stage doesn't cost a life?
time attack is life-free

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Sega1991 said:
But there's definitely a lot of times where it feels like it should be in range but it isn't. You have to train yourself not to watch the distance of the object but to listen for the lock-on confirmation beep.

Memorizing the pattern will do the trick.

Another problem is the camera angle when you get near, sometimes it goes a bit haywire.

Berordn

Bleh, I'm missing one red ring in Planet Wisp modern. Charmy says something about getting on a mine cart going left but that's no help at all. Anybody know which one this is specifically?

Tizoc said:
The doppleganger challenge u mean? Yeah I know that, but...the Sonics don't do their S-Rank animation at the end of them =/
ah my mistake I thought you were on about just playing stages and restarting, I can see what you mean now with annoying challenges.

*edit* my LE finally turned up! the statue is amazing, time to attack the 360 speed highway after I finish work :)

Dedication Through Light said:

Except it's ridiculously easy to tell when you can hit something with a homing attack.

1. Did you hear a beep?
  2. Is there a target around the enemy/spring?

Congratulations, you can do a homing attack.

PataHikari said:
Except it's ridiculously easy to tell when you can hit something with a homing attack.

1. Did you hear a beep?

Sometimes this changes by the time the button press actually registers or when there should be a lock-on but there isn't one.

qq more

PataHikari said:

1. Did you hear a beep?

Yeah, we all know how to use the god damn homing attack. But there are times (although not often enough to ruin the game thankfully) when none of that happen when it SHOULD.

I've died a few times because of it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man I love this game. I can't stop replaying levels. It's just a ridiculous amount of fun.

it doesn't inspire me to move on. I never like being forced to do challenges in games. But I'll go through as outside if that the game is solid.
Don't think of them as challenges so much as extra levels. Most of those levels are actually quite good and worth playing on their own. Remember all those stages in Sonic Colors? These challenges are pretty much equivalent. Very much worth playing.

Nabs said:
I can't get over how damn good this game looks. It's one of the best looking and most demanding games on the PC platform. Who the hell expected that?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Crisis City is terrible. Stomp move isn't used to any worthwhile effect, the whole look of the level is generally poor(red/brown polygonal vomit) with terrible looking enemies that don't gel with the aesthetic of the protagonist at all. If this is the best of Sonic 06, then that game must have been far worse than I already envision. People like this shitty stage?

Rooftop Run was quirky and fun though. Almost inspiring enough to buy a cheap copy of Unleashed. Wasn't as bothered by Planet Wisp as so many seem to be. Sure, my first run was 10 minutes, of which half of that felt bloated and redundant, but I adored the music(is all of Colors music as good?). I can understand the argument for wanting more wisp powers, and yes the level gets really damned repetitive with little justification, but I liked it far more than Crisis City.

ShockingAlberto said:
Sometimes this changes by the time the button press actually registers or when there should be a lock-on but there isn't one.
this ... situation made me waste 10 lives in the chaos boss battle.

Berordn

Brandon F said:
Rooftop Run was quirky and fun though. Almost inspiring enough to buy a cheap copy of Unleashed. Wasn't as bothered by Planet Wisp as so many seem to be. Sure, my first run was 10 minutes, of which half of that felt bloated and redundant, but I adored the music(is all of Colors music as good?). I can understand the argument for wanting more wisp powers, and yes the level gets really damned repetitive with little justification, but I liked it far more than Crisis City.
Unleashed is great (if you don't mind or can at least tolerate the werehog segments) but doesn't have the short and concise stages that Generations has (most clock in at 5-6 minutes) and Colors is pretty excellent as well (and the music only gets better).

qq more

Brandon F said:
If this is the best of Sonic 06, then that game must have been far worse than I already envision.
Sonic 06 is THAT bad of a game.

With that said, I agree that the enemy designs are lame and don't fit with Sonic (seriously, why are we fighting organic beings?). With that said though, Act 1 was still fun.

Brandon F said:
(is all of Colors music as good?)
Yes. I recommend the game too. It's pretty good, you MIGHTTT like it more than Generations but it depends.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea, that Rooftop Run 'Unleashed' level looks fun. Only thing holding me back from purchase is the hub stuff. Just wandering around amidst load screens and pointless conversation, much of the reason I hated the Adventure games. Aren't the Sonic stages only something like 40% of the game or something too?

Will likely snag Colors though whenever I take my Wii out of storage for Zelda. Really wish that game came to 360.

qq more

Brandon F said:
Yea, that Rooftop Run 'Unleashed' level looks fun. Only thing holding me back from purchase is the hub stuff. Just wandering around amidst load screens and pointless conversation, much of the reason I hated the Adventure games. Aren't the Sonic stages only something like 40% of the game or something too?

Will likely snag Colors though whenever I take my Wii out of storage for Zelda. Really wish that game came to 360.
I'd say probably slightly less than 40% or around it. The werehog stages takes forever in comparison to the day stages.

Tizoc

Fun fact for those that didn't know:
Gurihiru (who drew some comics for Marvel, namely Power Pack) worked on the human character designs, especially the Night of the Werehog animated short.

Berordn

Brandon F said:
The werehog stages ARE annoyingly long the first time through, but it's almost an even split on the HD versions. If you ever replay them you can usually cut your run in half. The Wii/PS2 versions are a little worse as the Sonic stages are fairly short and the werehog stages come in sets of three so they're as long as the HD stages on the whole.

The hubs aren't that bad though. The talking hub is completely optional and you only need to run through the stage entrance hub a few times.

Damn, looks like you're locked out of getting a Platinum trophy is you run into the 30 second trial connection bug. I was really hoping to get that Platinum trophy, too. (Would have been my first one, too!)

Tizoc

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Damn, looks like you're locked out of getting a Platinum trophy is you run into the 30 second trial connection bug. I was really hoping to get that Platinum trophy, too. (Would have been my first one, too!)
Hopefully SEGA can release an update patch to resolve this =3

qq more said:
Yeah, we all know how to use the god damn homing attack. But there are times (although not often enough to ruin the game thankfully) when none of that happen when it SHOULD.

I've died a few times because of it.

That's why it took me forever to beat the third boss on hard mode. It's like the level was scrolling too fast for Sonic to even get close enough to trigger the homing attack.

Guri

Does anyone know how to get the S-rank in the Perfect Chaos stage? I've tried everything. My last time was 1:52.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
What bug? I tried a trial once in the PS3 version and the trophy unlocked for me. :O

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hey, any one else have the bug with Egg Dragon where half the ramp would vanish if you looked at it a certain angle?

Top Bottom