• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Having a minor brain fart here; What exactly was Secret Rings' final boss again?

Edit: Never mind, I remember now, it was the genie. Don't know why I was thinking of that evil queen from Black Knight.

Edit 2: Ah, thanks for the video.

Sciz

TheOGB said:
Both acts of Seaside Hill are pretty meh, but that's the only low point so far (other than me kinda sucking). Onto Crisis City...
Modern Seaside Hill is one of the best levels in the game. :mad:

qq more

TheOGB said:
YEAH, GET YO ASS WHOOPED SHADOW

Both acts of Seaside Hill are pretty meh, but that's the only low point so far (other than me kinda sucking). Onto Crisis City...
What? Seaside Hill Act 1 was great. :O

Didn't enjoy Act 2 as much, but I'll probably end up liking it after a few playthroughs.

RobbieNick

Well, that's it.

After trying for days to buy the SG Collector's edition I pre-order from Amazon Germany, it seems that my Debit card cannot be used as a credit card internationally. XP

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
AbsoluteZero said:
I'll be there day one.

I've loved every GBA and DS title to date, and I doubt they'll cancel their streak now.
I'm going in day one too. Mostly for the music, different levels... and it looks like that outside of the rival battles the bosses might be different? (since that version has Big Arm + the Sonic 3 Final Boss theme). I'm also interested in the goodies they might include for that version, but somehow I think they might be similar to the HD version in terms of unlockables.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I thought Crisis City was frustrating.

Anyway, I beat the game with 50% of the trophies gotten. I was just wondering:

How do you "avoid" getting hit the boss? There's no indicator if you get hit or not.

Dark Schala said:
So...

How many of us are going to try the 3DS version (whenever it comes out)?

My friend is deffo getting it so I'm gonna check out a couple levels and see what's up with it. Then take it from there, I suspect I'll end up buying it.

vall03

to those who got the Steam version, do you guys have lip-sync problems with the cutscenes? I also have this problem with the skill shop where the controls doesnt work, anyone else experience this?

ckohler

Kind of a stupid question but there isn't really any penalty to running out of lives, is there? I've been using the "start over" feature and it consumes a life. Eventually I get the "Game Over" screen but it doesn't seem to matter since it just gives me five more lives anyway.

Dark Schala said:
So...

How many of us are going to try the 3DS version (whenever it comes out)?

I'll be grabbing it, but probably not straight away. Still haven't played Colours DS, will probably grab that to play in the meanwhile and wait for a price drop on Generations 3D.

ckohler said:
Kind of a stupid question but there isn't really any penalty to running out of lives, is there? I've been using the "start over" feature and it consumes a life. Eventually I get the "Game Over" screen but it doesn't seem to matter since it just gives me five more lives anyway.

Really, no game should have lives anymore.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I just noticed that in the latest trailer for Generations 3DS, Sonic uses the Red Burst Wisp in Tropical Resort, which was in Colours DS.

So... uh, some recent portable history, I guess? -_- Maybe they might make
Nega Mother Wisp or Nega Wisp Armour
a boss for the modern section (the latter boss making sense narrative-wise). I guess they can't change the narrative too much.

Shahadan

FUCK my game didin't autosave last night and my entire session of the 3 worst stages ever + the stupid dragoon boss was erased from existence.

bWMpx.jpg

Well rooftop run was fun but still.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Lives as a video game staple needs to end, especially in a game like this where it harms the flow. There is just need to punish us for wanting to try for a perfect run through of a stage quickly.

Note I'm noting saying no to having lives in all games, just only a few games can or still need them.

Resilient

KenOD said:
Lives as a video game staple needs to end, especially in a game like this where it harms the flow. There is just need to punish us for wanting to try for a perfect run through of a stage quickly.

Note I'm noting saying no to having lives in all games, just only a few games can or still need them.

Yeah...but it you can easily retry after the game over and get back into the level in about 10 seconds whenever it happens. It's not too big of a deal. I like how when I die far into a stage and I get a game over I have to retry...keeps the difficulty up.

TheOGB

Banned
My problem with Modern Crisis City is how suddenly "touchy" the controls seem to have gotten. I never had a problem accidentally walking off a cliff or missing homing attacks until that level, and only in that level (bar 2 or 3 occasions in Planet Wisp, Seaside Hill, or that one time during my first run through Sky Sanctuary). No problem at all with Rooftop Run though, that was great fun.

Sciz said:
Modern Seaside Hill is one of the best levels in the game. :mad:
By "meh", I really only mean it's not as outstanding as the other levels up to that point, and that seems like it's due more to being a Sonic Heroes stage. :p

Playing through some of the stages again, they do get a little bit better as you learn them, but holy fucking shit that first playthrough of M. Planet Wisp was rough. 13 minutes... D:

That said, I look forward to returning to these two "problem stages" and getting less terrible at them.

and now I'd like to take this time to geek about the music: I love Silver's theme in the hub

AniHawk

there were three red star rings in city escape that took forever to get, but i did it. now it's on to seaside hill. i think i'll tackle the challenge levels first before s-ranking and getting all the coins on the acts from here on out. when i beat the final boss, that's pretty much the end of the game for me, since i'll have gotten everything. i think i'll also have stretched the game out a decent amount until mario arrives sunday.

TheOGB

Banned
Drkirby said:
Was I the only one slightly bugged that Classic Robotnik used the same voice as Modern Eggman?
Was I the only one expecting Classic Tails to sound as derpy as he did in the movie?

Actually, I expected Classic Eggman to sound like he did in the movie too. All Mike Pollock had to do was make him slightly "nerdier"/higher-pitched. I think he's done it before. :p

I think they used the same voice for both because it was required for the misdirection. You technically don't see him until that specific sequence, past indirect references like the signpost and the time period of the robot (which could've just been Modern Eggman giving it another shot). Besides, the "age difference' wouldn't have mattered as much for Eggman.

ShockingAlberto said:
Weird Adidas Sonic with gruff voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CSRA2Yc0Jzc#t=273s

It's stupid but it's the same basic thing as 3D mode in Generations' final boss fight, except with way more variety, less talking, and less confusing visuals

I forgot how much I liked the end of Secret Rings. Okay, so
the handkerchief bit
is a little cheesy, maybe it didn't translate well from what they planned, but Sonic's timing and animation here is cool, and I like that it's sort of an open-ended ending, you know he gets home eventually, but not right that second.

Secret Rings was also one of the few games in recent years that remembered Sonic had an attitude past tapping his foot and glaring at the screen.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish Sega would fix/patch the game soon... I can't access the online 30-second trial on PS3. :/

I read that you need to delete all your friends from the friend list in order for it to work. :/

Since I've been forced to stop playing the game and go to work I'm going to post some more impressions;

Good; Still haven't experienced any significant glitches in the PC version. The game runs beautifully and I feel anyone nitpicking the physics is really just nitpicking... I actually didn't even think about them until I came back to GAF. They're not exactly like the Genesis games... but I feel they actually work better for this game, not unlike the way NSMB plays compared to Mario 3.

The red ring challenges are actually pretty enjoyable. This is the one instance where I feel the Classic stages really outshine the Modern ones though. The music and unlockable tracks are great. Wave Ocean? What the hell is this lovely music? Was the rest of Sonic 06s OST that good for such a shit game?

Bad: Classic Sonic is way too 'cuddly'. Honestly even in Sonic 1 he always had his 'game face' on and had this demeanor like he was in a hurry and slightly annoyed, but with 'attitude'. This Classic Sonic is like Mickey Mouse. The model is spot-on but the animations and attitude is like they tried too hard to make him cute and naive.

This is probably my new favorite Sonic game.

Why in the world is the game so hard. Vector's beat challenge (30 attempts and gave up), Crisis City, Planet Wisp and not to mention Boom Boom Dragooon all taking at least 6 plus minutes. I loved Dragoon but still, so many retries.

ULTROS!

Vector's beat challenge is the fucking worst.

Top Bottom