• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Tizoc

What exactly is the GUN Truck's beef with Sonic? It's like it spent the last 10 years upgrading just to make roadkill of a blue mammal o_O

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Tizoc said:
What exactly is the GUN Truck's beef with Sonic? It's like it spent the last 10 years upgrading just to make roadkill of a blue mammal o_O
My bet is that Eggman upgraded it, for reasons. His plot this time seemed be the most convoluted to date, it just doesn't make much since.

Berordn

It makes sense for how hands-off it is. He teams up with himself to prevent himself from ever losing by disposing of all of Sonic's friends and dumping Sonic into a timeless void without fully understanding the power at his control. Perfectly understandable.

Drkirby said:
Hey, any one else have the bug with Egg Dragon where half the ramp would vanish if you looked at it a certain angle?

I had a worse bug during the Espio challenge where I would hit one of the spotlights to move it and it would shoot me through the floor :(

RagnarokX

I had a bug on one of the GHZ modern missions where Sonic tried to go straight instead of follow the curved path towards the goal

RagnarokX said:
I had a bug on one of the GHZ modern missions where Sonic tried to go straight instead of follow the curved path towards the goal

I run into a bug often on Sky Sanctuary Classic that has Sonic screech to a halt when I hold right to go around the spiral platform at the very end of the stage, resulting in a fall to my death.

georgc

I get random slowdown(real bad) on the PC. Anyome else have this problem?
This is what have

I7 720qm
Hd radion 5870
6 gig ram

lupinko

Anyone buy the PC version? How is the optimization? And 60fps?

I don't see any demo for it listed, unless it's somewhere on Steam.

ShadiWulf

Anth0ny said:
Generations barely cracked the top 10 last week in the UK.

bomba.
Sonic Generations is out performing the last two main line titles.

Both 360 and PS3 versions are higher than either Sonic Unleashed's charts on its debut week and higher than the DS and Wii positions for Sonic Colors. Also, generally Sonic games just sells and sells for a long while because Sonic titles have long legs at sales.

Also, Chart ended 1 day after Generations came out, so I wouldn't say it's very accurate to judge a weeks worth of Generations sales based off of two days.

Sciz

dark10x said:
Honestly, the version of Rooftop Run in Unleashed is even more fun that the one in Generations.

Yeah!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg_uQ-_U9Dw&hd=1
Eh. Daytime Unleashed looks fun for what it is, but watching it in action always gives me the same Straight Line Zone vibe that plagues GHZ and Crisis City in this game. I can pick out little subtleties in the route here and there, but never any significant alternatives and certainly none of the platforming moments that Generations mixes in.

Berordn

Throavium said:
Getting that red ring over that ramp in City Escape Act 2 is impossible!
Yeah, it makes you be very precise. Go slow until you reach the middle of the two ramps, then boost and take the jump. It took me a few tries to get it, but it works. I had a bigger issue with the skateboard one in Act 1...

qq more

So... what's your favorite level from each era for each Sonic?

Personally mines are:

Classic Sonic:
Genesis - Sky Sanctuary
Dreamcast - Seaside Hill
Modern - Rooftop Run

Modern Sonic:
Genesis - Sky Sanctuary
Dreamcast - City Escape
Modern - Rooftop Run

Throavium said:
Collecting the Red Rings starts at mildly fun to absolutely tedious.

Not as tedious as the SP rings were in Sonic Advance 2...jesus christ.

That being said, the hints that the characters give are a godsend...I wish Sonic Colors had that.

goodcow

Any tips on beating Silver? I can get to what I assume is the last hit when I'm running toward the screen away from a giant ball of cars, but it always ends up rolling me over to death.

So is there some good Modern stuff in the last set of three stages? So far I've only really enjoyed Green Hill and Seaside Hill, the rest are kind of eh.

Throavium said:
Collecting the Red Rings starts at mildly fun to absolutely tedious.

I had tons of fun doing it with Modern Sonic. Classic Sonic seems to be a different story. Sky Sanctuary was the worst.

"HIT THIS ONE CLOUD THAT ESSENTIALLY MAKES THE ENTIRE SECOND HALF OF THE STAGE A COMPLETELY SEPARATE PATH AND BY THE WAY IF YOU DON'T HIT THE CLOUD WITHIN 3 SECONDS IT VANISHES FOREVER"

I replayed that stage 4 times and wasted nearly 15 lives trying to get that one red star ring.

Anth0ny said:
Generations barely cracked the top 10 last week in the UK.

bomba.

Sales for the week ending November 5th.

So 1 day of sales cracks the top ten, for a franchise 99% of people seem to hate.. Which arguably hasn't had a critically acclaimed game for over a decade.. I'd say that's pretty good going. Lol

Lets see if Rayman Origins cracks the top ten after one day of sales......

Peff

AbsoluteZero said:
Not as tedious as the SP rings were in Sonic Advance 2...jesus christ.

That being said, the hints that the characters give are a godsend...I wish Sonic Colors had that.

Sonic Colors had them in order in the hub, though, which was a big help to determine in which part of the level they could be after getting a couple, I don't understand why they went back to just marking how many you have gotten. Nevertheless, they're definitely not that bad... other than a couple in City Escape which are a bit luck-based a vast majority of them just require you to find alternate routes, which is cool.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
If you throw a few Jesus comments in or some biblical allusions, "Escape From The City" could totally pass as a Christian pop-punk song.

"Follow me... set me free... Jesus..."

Whenever I hear that song, I can't shake it.

El_TigroX said:
If you throw a few Jesus comments in or some biblical allusions, "Escape From The City" could totally pass as a Christian pop-punk song.

I get that kind of vibe from a lot of the Adventure era songs. I like a lot of them but the sound of the guitars and the singer's voice does have a distinct Christian rock feel to it.

El_TigroX said:

Holy shit, I think that everytime I hear it as well :eek:

Must purge unclean thoughts!

Teknoman

Berordn said:
It makes sense for how hands-off it is. He teams up with himself to prevent himself from ever losing by disposing of all of Sonic's friends and dumping Sonic into a timeless void without fully understanding the power at his control. Perfectly understandable.

Robotnik thinks his future self is a little crazy too.

Phonomezer said:
Or the coins in Sonic Unleashed. THE WORST.

The SP rings were worse. You could finish Sonic Unleashed without getting even half of the sun/moon medals. Slowing down and finding enough to beat the game really wasn't as annoying as everyone made it out to be.

The SP rings on the other hand were absolutely necessary. You HAD to find all 7 in a given stage, and levels were frequently designed so that if you were Sonic, backtracking was absolutely impossible. Miss any given SP ring at any time and you had to restart the entire stage over from scratch.

And you had to get all the chaos emeralds as all the characters in order to unlock the final ending, as I recall. So that meant collecting all the SP rings in every stage as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Cream, and possibly even Amy Rose (she was unlockable for doing something, can't remember what).

There is nothing worse.

Mistle

Man, watching Unleashed clips reminds me how damn awesome that game could have been if there wasn't a Werehog and glitchy hub world... The Sonic stages all had such a great vibe.

DeVeAn

I can't figure out why the PC version can't run chemical plant without drastic frame drops. I have tried everything is there a patch? Do I need to reinstall? Green Hill is the only stage with a locked 60 fps. Damnit.

Pietepiet

Sega1991 said:
(she was unlockable for doing something, can't remember what).

She was the final Chaos Emerald unlock, I think (besides the Final ending). You unlocked stuff depending on how many characters you had all 7 emeralds with. Hell, even Tiny Chao Garden was locked...

Mistle said:
Man, watching Unleashed clips reminds me how damn awesome that game could have been if there wasn't a Werehog and glitchy hub world... The Sonic stages all had such a great vibe.
Yeah they did and the graphics were amazing. That ice level...

A perfect example of trying too hard and doing too much, being a bad thing.

catabarez

DeVeAn said:
I can't figure out why the PC version can't run chemical plant without drastic frame drops. I have tried everything is there a patch? Do I need to reinstall? Green Hill is the only stage with a locked 60 fps. Damnit.

What's your set up?

Sciz

Sega1991 said:
And you had to get all the chaos emeralds as all the characters in order to unlock the final ending, as I recall. So that meant collecting all the SP rings in every stage as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Cream, and possibly even Amy Rose (she was unlockable for doing something, can't remember what).

There is nothing worse.
It wasn't quite that bad. Getting all seven with one character unlocked the chao garden. You had to get all seven with Sonic and just beat the game with all four characters to get the bonus boss. Getting all the emeralds with two characters unlocked the sound test, getting them with three unlocked boss rush, and all four unlocked Amy. Getting them with Amy did jack squat.

Still pretty stupid all around, though, even if I did kinda like the special stages themselves.

DeVeAn said:
Chemical Plant runs badly for everyone. Best guess is that it's a problem with how the engine streams in data. I think it was dark10x who said he'd put the game on a solid state drive and it alleviated the problem somewhat.

The End

How well is this running on PC?

I figured I'd wait for Bomba, but Amazon has the digital download on sale for $25, and with promotional certificates, it's $15.

I'd got a 2.4Ghz Core Quad, 4 gb , 9800GT 512MB, Vista

qq more said:
So... what's your favorite level from each era for each Sonic?
Classic Sonic
Genesis/Mega Drive- Sky Sanctuary: One of the most varied stages as far as routes go, though i'll be sure to try and avoid the one with the marble garden zone platform. Truly a stage that rewards you for timing your enemy and cloud bounces. I like how there are effectively three different paths to the finish.

Dreamcast- Speed Highway: I liked how they made good use of the building interiors to vary the stage from just being on the highway and rooftops, lovely little touch at the sections where you cross the road in front of cars, take it slowly and you'll find the cars will actually break in front of you as opposed to running you over.

Modern- Crisis City: What was initially a stage I found kind of poor has now become one of my favourites, collapsing bridges, floating debris and strong winds play their parts in the art of careful platforming. also the greatest goalpost sign in Sonic History.

Modern Sonic

Genesis/Mega Drive- Chemical Plant: Probably my favourite stage just to blitz through, no need to fear the murky depths now I know the dry route which is also a lot of fun. Also the only stage with a sky dive section, poor old rocket wisp got shafted here.

Dreamcast- Speed Highway: The name doesn't lie, speed is the order of the day here and with many different potential routes to blaze down it makes for fun replays, throws in some nice platforming on top of that for a change of pace so you don't just go cruise control with the boost button, great visuals as well, they really brought this place to life compared to the SA original.

Modern- Rooftop Run: While I was close to going with Crisis City again since it manages to put in some fast flowing 3D platforming and homing attack chains but I then remembered the stomp section, if I miss the shortcut to bypass some of that i'm not pleased at all. so with that in mind i'll go with rooftop run, maybe not quite as good as the Unleashed edition but it's still great fun and the music is delicious nourishment for my ears.

Dark Schala said:
What bug? I tried a trial once in the PS3 version and the trophy unlocked for me. :O
It turns out that a good amount of people can't connect to the 30 second trial. It won't get past the "Getting Data" screen, and a 8002A1A7 PSN error code will pop up endlessly unless you exit the screen. Apparently, someone complained to Sega and was told that deleting your entire friend list should fix the problem, but I'd rather not do that, so I guess I'll just have to wait for a patch or something.

The End said:
How well is this running on PC?

I figured I'd wait for Bomba, but Amazon has the digital download on sale for $25, and with promotional certificates, it's $15.

I'd got a 2.4Ghz Core Quad, 4 gb , 9800GT 512MB, Vista

That might be enough but there's also apparently a demo coming down the tubes at some point.

I think my major issue with Classic Sonic is that he has almost no aerial momentum.

Still this game is really fun like holy shit. I just beat Rooftop Run with both Sonics (all red rings, both S ranked).

Top Bottom