• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

PKrockin

I am actually looking forward to the 3DS game. One question, the OP says "take the history of handheld Sonic gameplay with you," but the levels shown are all from console Sonic games...? Will it have Sonic Advance levels?

Nabs

DeVeAn said:
Hmm, maybe I have a virus?! I had Batman AA doing something similar during scarecrow scene.

The Batman stuff might be caused by Physx. The Sonic stuff is happening to (nearly?) everyone. Chemical Plant is just weird like that.

Anyone else a bit disappointed with the Chemical Plant Zone music? I thought they would go with something along the lines of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOLvh_DcEY

Sega1991 said:
The SP rings were worse. You could finish Sonic Unleashed without getting even half of the sun/moon medals. Slowing down and finding enough to beat the game really wasn't as annoying as everyone made it out to be.

The SP rings on the other hand were absolutely necessary. You HAD to find all 7 in a given stage, and levels were frequently designed so that if you were Sonic, backtracking was absolutely impossible. Miss any given SP ring at any time and you had to restart the entire stage over from scratch.

And you had to get all the chaos emeralds as all the characters in order to unlock the final ending, as I recall. So that meant collecting all the SP rings in every stage as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Cream, and possibly even Amy Rose (she was unlockable for doing something, can't remember what).

There is nothing worse.

Okay, that sounds horrendous!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Does the ALL S RANK achievement count for the missions too, or do I just have to do the main Acts?

Sega1991 said:
And you had to get all the chaos emeralds as all the characters in order to unlock the final ending, as I recall. So that meant collecting all the SP rings in every stage as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Cream, and possibly even Amy Rose (she was unlockable for doing something, can't remember what).

IIRC, You had to get all of the Chaos Emeralds with every other character for Amy. As far as True Area 53 goes, you only had to get the Emeralds as Sonic and beat the game with everyone else. Still a massive pain in the ass, though.

Keasar

I swear, if one of them tells me one single more time
"Thats a homing attack!" "Be careful Sonic!"
I am going to choke Cream!

Phonomezer said:
Anyone else a bit disappointed with the Chemical Plant Zone music? I thought they would go with something along the lines of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeOLvh_DcEY

Okay, that sounds horrendous!
yup, Chemical Plant remix attempt was missed especially with the plethora of fan remixes that exists on the interweebs that are superior

Aaron Strife said:
I think my major issue with Classic Sonic is that he has almost no aerial momentum.

Still this game is really fun like holy shit. I just beat Rooftop Run with both Sonics (all red rings, both S ranked).

+ they delve too much in strict platforming heights for reaching higher platforms and resorted too much to Sonic 1 style floating platforms instead of a faster paced Sonic 2, Sonic 3 or S&K

ckohler

The hardest jump in the game for me has been the one where you jump off the zip line onto another halfway through Sky Sanctuary Act 2 in order to get the red star ring. Ugh. Died 15 times trying to do that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
It turns out that a good amount of people can't connect to the 30 second trial. It won't get past the "Getting Data" screen, and a 8002A1A7 PSN error code will pop up endlessly unless you exit the screen. Apparently, someone complained to Sega and was told that deleting your entire friend list should fix the problem, but I'd rather not do that, so I guess I'll just have to wait for a patch or something.
That sucks. :(

I hope SEGA fixes it soon. That's really unfortunate for people, not just for the trophy but because they can't access a mode or if some people were really desperate for it, they'd have to delete their friends list (which is the worst thing).

PKrockin said:
I am actually looking forward to the 3DS game. One question, the OP says "take the history of handheld Sonic gameplay with you," but the levels shown are all from console Sonic games...? Will it have Sonic Advance levels?
No, which is the most unfortunate part. Someone should ask Iizuka why handheld games were no longer considered for the 3DS version because I swear he claimed that handheld games (at least the GBA and DS games) were going to be in the 3DS version in an interview.

The Tropical Resort level in the 3DS version seems to use the Red Burst Wisp from Colours DS, so that... kind of counts... I guess.

Throavium

ckohler said:
The hardest jump in the game for me has been the one where you jump off the zip line onto another halfway through Sky Sanctuary Act 2 in order to get the red star ring. Ugh. Died 15 times trying to do that.
Dude, fuck that. It's like the green reticule only appears if it wants too, if it doesn't appear, you won't able to jump to it.

MIMIC

Banned
Time for a change of pace!

When I'm
free falling
WTF am I supposed to do?
You can't even move. Am I just supposed to just remember WHERE to be at certain points of the free fall

ShadiWulf

Dark Schala said:
That sucks. :(

I hope SEGA fixes it soon. That's really unfortunate for people, not just for the trophy but because they can't access a mode or if some people were really desperate for it, they'd have to delete their friends list (which is the worst thing).

No, which is the most unfortunate part. Someone should ask Iizuka why handheld games were no longer considered for the 3DS version because I swear he claimed that handheld games (at least the GBA and DS games) were going to be in the 3DS version in an interview.

The Tropical Resort level in the 3DS version seems to use the Red Burst Wisp from Colours DS, so that... kind of counts... I guess.
Yeah, iizuka said that in an interview while laughing at the idea of Game Gear levels in the 3DS version.

PKrockin

Dark Schala said:

That's actually a relief to me, since I never really played the handheld games and so they hold no nostalgia value for me. Thanks.

Grisby

This has to be one of the worst final bosses in history. Can't seem to grab any rings and my boost makes little to no progress.

The constant beeping and friend chatter is driving me up the wall.

Keasar

Grisby said:
This has to be one of the worst final bosses in history. Can't seem to grab any rings and my boost makes little to no progress.

"Thats a homing attack!" "Be careful Sonic!"

NO

SHIT!

ShadiWulf said:
Yeah, iizuka said that in an interview while laughing at the idea of Game Gear levels in the 3DS version.
You'd really think they would jump at the chance to remake a level from the games that introduced the defining characteristic of Modern Sonic's gameplay. I almost understand skipping over the Advance series, but I'm surprised they skipped over the Rush games, too.

MIMIC said:
Time for a change of pace!

When I'm
free falling
WTF am I supposed to do?
You can't even move. Am I just supposed to just remember WHERE to be at certain points of the free fall
You should be able to move around,
evade egg dragoon projectiles and speed down towards the weakpoint of the robot, when close enough you can homing attack him for a non change of pace

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Grisby said:

Like I said in the other thread, I dread going through that again for the last trophy. :/

ShockingAlberto had a point when he proposed that the last segment of the game was probably rushed because it's such a mess in terms of audio, visuals (so many obstructions, hard to see rings sometimes, perspectives, etc) and mission objective. It's shockingly bad.

When you hit the boss's pink core (just press and hold boost), hold and try to stay in the middle to get the rings he spouts out after the hit registers.
I posted a few videos earlier in the thread...

Here: Video 1 or Video 2.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
You'd really think they would jump at the chance to remake a level from the games that introduced the defining characteristic of Modern Sonic's gameplay. I almost understand skipping over the Advance series, but I'm surprised they skipped over the Rush games, too.
One could consider Colours DS to be Rush 3. >.>

It's still surprising, a little more than, "LOL, Game Gear?!"

Zomba13 said:
Hey

hey... hey listen

hey

bro

That's a homing attack
I don't know what you think it is but to me it looks like
a homing attack! You can press the button to switch between son- THAT LOOKS LIKE A HOMING ATTACK!

qq more

Nocturnowl said:
I don't know what you think it is but to me it looks like
a homing attack! You can press the button to switch between son- THAT LOOKS LIKE A HOMING ATTACK!
But wait, did you know that
you can press the button to switch Sonics?

I think it's a standard Sonic game criteria for overly repeated phrases, especially during bosses

SA Egg Walker/Egg Viper : " GET A LOAD OF-GET A LOAD OF-GET A LOAD OF-GET A LOAD OF THIS!

SH Egg Emperor: TAKE THIS! TAKE THIS! TAKE THIS! TAKE THIS! CHAAAARGE!

Sonic Unleashed: Feeling good! Feeling good!

SG Egg Dragoon: TIME FOR A CHANGE OF PACE! , yeah every 10 seconds, that's a lot of pace changes.

Then there's me failing the final boss of secret rings so much that I will never forget that I can use time break

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nocturnowl said:
I think it's a standard Sonic game criteria for overly repeated phrases, especially during bosses
But it's kind of expected for repeating dialogue to come out of bosses' mouths... not the
friends repeating strategies or meaningless dialogue resulting in an audio disaster coupled with the lacklustre boss tune... er, if you don't change the music to something different like Sonic Boom or Endless Possibility.

Nocturnowl said:

SA Egg Walker/Egg Viper : " GET A LOAD OF-GET A LOAD OF-GET A LOAD OF-GET A LOAD OF THIS!

SG Egg Dragoon: TIME FOR A CHANGE OF PACE! , yeah every 10 seconds, that's a lot of pace changes.

Then there's me failing the final boss of secret rings so much that I will never forget that I can use time break
IT'S NO USE

TAKE THIS

+

I'LL USE Y--CHAOS CONTROL.

ShadiWulf

Just got done watching the Documentary that came with the collectors edition on youtube, I found it funny how they barely let Iizuka talk. It was a really interesting watch though. I loved every minute of it.

Nocturnowl said:

THIS IS THE ULTIMATE

bede-x

For some reason my "start over" option that appears when you pause the game has become greyed out, meaning I can't restart any stages without quitting the stage completely and starting over. Pretty annoying glitch.

bede-x said:
For some reason my "start over" option that appears when you pause the game has become greyed out, meaning I can't restart any stages without quitting the stage completely and starting over. Pretty annoying glitch.

It's not a glitch. Starting over uses a life, it's greyed out because you have no more lives to use.

Top Bottom