• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Grisby

Dark Schala said:
Like I said in the other thread, I dread going through that again for the last trophy. :/

ShockingAlberto had a point when he proposed that the last segment of the game was probably rushed because it's such a mess in terms of audio, visuals (so many obstructions, hard to see rings sometimes, perspectives, etc) and mission objective. It's shockingly bad.

When you hit the boss's pink core (just press and hold boost), hold and try to stay in the middle to get the rings he spouts out after the hit registers.
I posted a few videos earlier in the thread...

Here: Video 1 or Video 2.
Thanks. I'll be giving it another go tonight.

Veal

This is going to sound strange, but is there any way to make this game run at 30 fps on PC rather than 60? I've been watching some videos of Unleashed and it really seems like a lot of the visual elements come together better with the lower framerate. Stuff like the way the DOF works with the lighting, framerate and blur effects make the game look like CGI at times!

Veal said:
This is going to sound strange, but is there any way to make this game run at 30 fps on PC rather than 60? I've been watching some videos of Unleashed and it really seems like a lot of the visual elements come together better with the lower framerate. Stuff like the way the DOF works with the lighting, framerate and blur effects make the game look like CGI at times!
wat

Box of Bunnies said:
It's not a glitch. Starting over uses a life, it's greyed out because you have no more lives to use.
Wait, really? I thought the option just completely disappears when you're on your last life?

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Wait, really? I thought the option just completely disappears when you're on your last life?
That's what he means: it more or less is greyed out since you have no more lives to spare for the restart.

MIMIC

Banned
I just purchased the Genesis controller.

Holy shit....you get to play the ENTIRE "Sonic The Hedgehog" game???? I just entered Marble Garden

Veal said:

Holoska was the closest Unleashed felt like CG to me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUYEircSpes

Long time no see!

Nocturnowl said:
You should be able to move around,
evade egg dragoon projectiles and speed down towards the weakpoint of the robot, when close enough you can homing attack him for a non change of pace

Also, if he's not aware, you get closer by diving with the X button when freefalling, or whichever is your boost button.

bede-x

Box of Bunnies said:
It's not a glitch. Starting over uses a life, it's greyed out because you have no more lives to use.

I hadn't noticed that. Thanks for clearing it up.

Kinda strange design to have people lose lives when you restart a stage, since there's infinite continues and you often wanna play a stage again for speedruns or to look for emblems...

Wonko_C

Veal said:

Yeah, for some reason motion blur is not that noticeable (dramatic?) when running at 60fps on all the games I've played. Download Dxtory, you can cap pretty much any game to 30fps with it. (SSFIVAE looks weird, hehe)

Cinematic angular graphics yo. Did I say it right?

Brandon F said:
Wow, how the fuck did this not get the Generations treatment? Why was Rooftop Run greenlit when three other urban cities were chosen before?? (And I like Rooftop Run, but goddamn I wanna play that ice level!)

Yeah, would've been awesome - Classic level could've had Sonic 3 Ice Cap music ;_;

You should check out some other Unleashed day levels, they're all very easy on the eye.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This game needs a sequel ASAP. I want to see more old levels given this treatment. I absolutely adore this game.

MIMIC said:
I just purchased the Genesis controller.

Holy shit....you get to play the ENTIRE "Sonic The Hedgehog" game???? I just entered Marble Garden

Yeah, it's the entire Backbone/Digital Extremes XBLA port of Sonic 1.

Which means awful sound quality (the spin sound literally hurts my ears), gameplay that occasionally hitches up at random intervals, no cheat codes, etc.

Raonak

Banned
Went in with low expectations after that "gaf- please buy sonic generations" thread.
am pleasently suprised. it looks good.

might buy when it goes cheap.

SONIC WILL BE IN THE MACY'S THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE THIS YEAR. This marks his second appearance!

But this time:
VREyk.png

Compare to (1993):
macy-sonic-1993.jpg

FLOAT RUINED. NEW FLOAT IS A DOUCHE. GREEN EYES. HENTAI QUILLS. ETC.
I'm so happy

gutter_trash said:
yup, Chemical Plant remix attempt was missed especially with the plethora of fan remixes that exists on the interweebs that are superior.

Not really a fan of the Classic Chemical Plant remix myself, but I really like the Modern one.

gutter_trash said:
they delve too much in strict platforming heights for reaching higher platforms and resorted too much to Sonic 1 style floating platforms instead of a faster paced Sonic 2, Sonic 3 or S&K

Homing Attack
on Classic Sonic makes platforming so much easier, as he can get to springboards and launch off enemies with little problem.

ckohler said:
The hardest jump in the game for me has been the one where you jump off the zip line onto another halfway through Sky Sanctuary Act 2 in order to get the red star ring. Ugh. Died 15 times trying to do that.

For me the bar-none hardest on was Modern City Escape, where you had to hit two ramps on the snowboard and then be going at just the perfect speed AND be straight and lined up with the ring. That sucked.

mr stroke

Just started playing this and WTF is up with the stupid outer world and challenges bullshit :(

I thought this was going to be classic 2D Sonic with the option to play the classic vs new version+outer world stuff/challenges. I just wanted the classic old school Genesis Sonic structure. The 2D old school Sonic levels are brilliant, everything else sucks so far(about half way through)

ShockingAlberto said:
gotta go slow
lol

Another shot:
Dshpn.png

More at: http://blogs.sega.com/2011/11/07/see-sonic-in-the-macys-thanksgiving-day-parade/

mr stroke said:
Just started playing this and WTF is up with the stupid outer world and challenges bullshit :(

I thought this was going to be classic 2D Sonic with the option to play the classic vs new version+outer world stuff/challenges. I just wanted the classic old school Genesis Sonic structure. The 2D old school Sonic levels are brilliant, everything else sucks so far(about half way through)
You could think of those "challenges" as different acts. But, they are optional. You only have to do one for each level to progress.

And the hub world isn't bad at all. In comparison to other hub worlds in Sonic games, this one is the least obnoxious and more to the point.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
spindashing said:
SONIC WILL BE IN THE MACY'S THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE THIS YEAR. This marks his second appearance!

But this time:
http://i.imgur.com/VREyk.png[IMG]

Compare to (1993):
[IMG]http://www.gamingtruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/macy-sonic-1993.jpg[IMG]

[B]FLOAT RUINED. NEW FLOAT IS A DOUCHE. GREEN EYES. HENTAI QUILLS. ETC. [/B][SPOILER]I'm so happy[/SPOILER][/QUOTE]
I shouldn't have been drinking something while reading this. Oh shit. [img]http://i.imgur.com/KuGsj.gif

I wonder what that guy's up to now? The last thing he posted was his delightful Sonic 2 boss theme remix.

Damn why are the cut scenes so low res? I never thought that a Sonic game would fill a DVD to the point that heavy video compression would be needed.

Anony

not sure if anyone mentioned this but if you're playing this on the pc and have a 16:10 monitor, switch to a 16:9 resolutions
the game just stretches the picture and you get a thinner image

awesome port there sega...

So I have this weird, non-game breaking bug on the PC.

Whenever I do a mission, the font for the level's name and the "Now Loading" on the loading screen get all garbled and almost look like wingdings or something.

It's so trivial and minor I don't really care, just wondering if anyone else has had that happen?

Zomba13

balladofwindfishes said:
So I have this weird, non-game breaking bug on the PC.

Whenever I do a mission, the font for the level's name and the "Now Loading" on the loading screen get all garbled and almost look like wingdings or something.

It's so trivial and minor I don't really care, just wondering if anyone else has had that happen?
Happens to me sometimes too. It usually goes away on a restart of the game though.

wow at the 360 version, sank a few hours into it and damn I just can't get along well with the 30fps now after playing the pc version, also the screen to me looks lower then 720p, real blocky and chunky outlines.

None the less, #1 on speed highway :p but only just, the 360 version plays different to the point where some of my sneaky boost points are flat out not working.

Link1110

That float was 1993? How did they not have it in 1992? Sonic 2 would have come out 2 days before, would have been perfect timing.

Grisby

Yes, I beat that sonuvabitch. Game completed.

I think I just shed a tear listening to "It Doesn't Matter" in the music selection.

Anony said:
not sure if anyone mentioned this but if you're playing this on the pc and have a 16:10 monitor, switch to a 16:9 resolutions
the game just stretches the picture and you get a thinner image

awesome port there sega...
16:10 resolutions for computer screens have been on the way out for years now so you really shouldn't be that surprised a modern day PC game doens't have immediate support for your slightly-obscure set up

Wonko_C said:
Yeah, for some reason motion blur is not that noticeable (dramatic?) when running at 60fps on all the games I've played. Download Dxtory, you can cap pretty much any game to 30fps with it. (SSFIVAE looks weird, hehe)

Cinematic angular graphics yo. Did I say it right?
The reason you think this is because Film and television both run at 30 fps, especially animation, which is almost exclusively 24 fps. For a comparison at home, run any cg animated movie on 60hertz mode or smoothing mode or whatever on your HDTV. It will look really weird and cheap, or like a realtime videogame cutscene. Live action at 60fps will almost always have a 'soap opera' effect or cheapened look aswell. Bringing your framerate down brings it closer to the feel of a cg film.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Astrosanity said:
16:10 resolutions for computer screens have been on the way out for years now so you really shouldn't be that surprised a modern day PC game doens't have immediate support for your slightly-obscure set up

Wait what? I love my 16:10 setup! I can never go from 1920x1200 to a 1080 setup.

ryan13ts

Just finished the 360 version, getting every achivement (1000/1000). What a great game, my favorite Sonic game since S&K! If Sega has any brains in their heads, they'll make a sequel ASAP. I'd probably give this game a perfect score if not for.....

THAT FUCKING GOD AWFUL LAST BOSS!@#

Seriously, what a way to ruin a near perfect game. The controls are downright horrendus, you can't see debris until they smack you in the face, switching to classic Sonic is basically pointless, and the boost is wholely inconsistant. This is probably the worst final boss fight I've ever had to play, it's almost like it's from a different game considering how great the game is before the final boss.

Outside that terrible final boss, I loved this game. Easily my favorite modern Sonic game yet. Get to work on that sequel Sega!

TheOGB

Banned
New Sonic balloon should have been Sonic Adventure/Generations trick finish pose

That should be new standard Sonic

Just full on 90s/00s teenage douchebag attitude.
Thousands of fanfiction authors and their works vindicated

WHOO, 360 version came in the mail today. And uh... well, that's about it. *back to PC version*

ryan13ts said:
Just finished the 360 version, getting every achivement (1000/1000). What a great game, my favorite Sonic game since S&K! If Sega has any brains in their heads, they'll make a sequel ASAP. I'd probably give this game a perfect score if not for.....

THAT FUCKING GOD AWFUL LAST BOSS!@#

Seriously, what a way to ruin a near perfect game. The controls are downright horrendus, you can't see debris until they smack you in the face, switching to classic Sonic is basically pointless, and the boost is wholely inconsistant. This is probably the worst final boss fight I've ever had to play, it's almost like it's from a different game considering how great the game is before the final boss.

Outside that terrible final boss, I loved this game. Easily my favorite modern Sonic game yet. Get to work on that sequel Sega!
Have you played Colors? I'm wondering because a lot of people here are saying that they liked Colors better. I don't own a Wii so I haven't tried it yet, but would like to hear a different opinion on Generations vs Colors unless it's no contest that Colors is the superior game.

Zomba13

Dark Octave said:
Have you played Colors? I'm wondering because a lot of people here are saying that they liked Colors better. I don't own a Wii so I haven't tried it yet, but would like to hear a different opinion on Generations vs Colors unless it's no contest that Colors is the superior game.
Personally I prefer Generations. Colours is still awesome but Generations is awesome and brings the nostalgia hard and has better 2D sections (Classic Sonic 2D > colours 2D imo).

Top Bottom