• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Sciz

Dark Octave said:
Have you played Colors? I'm wondering because a lot of people here are saying that they liked Colors better. I don't own a Wii so I haven't tried it yet, but would like to hear a different opinion on Generations vs Colors unless it's no contest that Colors is the superior game.
Colors is more cohesive but less consistent. 2D outweighs 3D considerably, featuring almost all of the platforming and complex level design. Some levels are fully fleshed out and lengthy, while others are over in under a minute and composed largely of prefab boxes and platforms. Most of the creative and interesting design revolves around wisps. And they're fun, don't get me wrong, but the game is definitely somewhat less of a pure Sonic experience for it.

It's a good game, but it's as different from anything else in the series as it is similar.

ryan13ts

Zomba13 said:
Personally I prefer Generations. Colours is still awesome but Generations is awesome and brings the nostalgia hard and has better 2D sections (Classic Sonic 2D > colours 2D imo).

I agree. I played Colors and it was alright, but there was something about it that didn't really "grab" me. I practically had to force myself to finish Colors. Generations on the other hand had me hooked from start to finish. The mix of 2d plus nostalgia (plus 3D sections I acutally enjoyed for once) made Generations a clear-cut winner for me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sega1991 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU71tzsPyis

Jeeze, this guy tears up Modern Crisis City.
Oh my God...

I suddenly feel ashamed of my 2:23. :(
I really should because I spend too much time standing and waiting for platforms instead of using boost to go faster.

Dark Octave said:
Have you played Colors? I'm wondering because a lot of people here are saying that they liked Colors better. I don't own a Wii so I haven't tried it yet, but would like to hear a different opinion on Generations vs Colors unless it's no contest that Colors is the superior game.
No, some people do prefer Generations more than Colours. I did like Colours better; however, I think both games complement each other extremely well.

MIMIC

Banned
Beat the final boss. I guess I can see what people were complaining about.
There isn't even a need to EVER use Sonic's attack
. But once I got a feel for what I needed to do, I kinda enjoyed it.
However, there is ZERO sense of danger, other than the fact of losing rings...you're invincible all the way through

Also, in the epilogue,
I quite enjoyed the banter between Dr. Robotnick & Dr. Eggman. Those two are delightfully deluded and insane
^_^

Now that that's done, time to go achievement farming :)

Just my thoughts on the colors vs generations debate.. I prefer generations to be honest, purely because I wasn't a huge fan of the wisps. I know most people enjoyed them and I definitely appreciate the concept, I just felt like it turned the game into something other than a Sonic the hedgehog game. Don't get me wrong, its still a great game.. I simply feel that generations is more of a sonic game.

If a Colors sequel was created with Sonic Generations' Modern Sonic controls, I wouldn't be afraid to list it in my favorite amongst the old Genesis games.

edit: That Modern Crisis City run... Great Odin's Raven...

ckohler

Sega1991 said:
Jeeze, this guy tears up Modern Crisis City.
See, I don't understand this. If I boost crazy like that I just end up flying off into lava or in the very least, bounce off a wall into lava. :/

Shahadan

So I thought the main problem in this game (for me at least) was the boring choice of levels. Why do I have to go through three city-level ? Why is there no ice level? Desert level? :(

Crisis City was a pain btw.

The other problem is, I'm screwed because the levels I want are almost all in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. And if Generations 2 comes out one day I guess it would be once again a level per game.

Ice Cap
Lava Reef
Mushroom Hills
Flying Battery
Sandopolis

Bring thme to me.

also disappointed that the emeralds were forced on me. I don't like to obtain emeralds throughout the main story and even less them being required to even enter the last stage.
Also too easy to obtain.

Basically, give me Sonic 3 & Knuckles remake with modern and classic sonic (and TAILS), kthxbye sega, kiss everywhere.

Throavium

TheOGB said:
Holy shit

that level's flow looks... so weird. It's possible, as it was just shown, but something about it still feels... broken and disjointed, like the actual look of the level iteslf.
Awesome comment here:
why are you under the impression that speedrunners are trying to make everyone think they are some "abnormal gamer"? time attack is just a fun challenge. slowly getting better at something and watching your times drop, even if only by a fraction of a second each time, is a lot of fun for most people. just because you're so fucking asspained that someone is better than you at a video game doesn't mean you can tell people what they are allowed to enjoy.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat the game finally. Classic Sonic is the cutest thing. I want a plushy.

MIMIC

Banned
Complete Green Hill zone in a fucking MINUTE?

I just tried and I was like 1:27. lol *off to Youtube*

EDIT: dem shortcuts =p Figures

Dark Schala said:
Noooo... this always sends me into laughing fits. :lol

I want a bigger one than the one I already have.
Dear lord, what is this....THING?

ncKQv.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's the 7" Modern Sonic plush that I found at Toys R Us and decided to take a crappy cell phone picture of?

LOL, I thought it was hilarious too.

Oreoleo

MIMIC said:
Complete Green Hill zone in a fucking MINUTE?

I just tried and I was like 1:27. lol *off to Youtube*

EDIT: dem shortcuts =p Figures

Yeah it's not so hard. There's really only 2 or 3 not-so-obvious route splits that you need to be aware of.

And luckily the level is short enough that it's not discouraging to start over and over.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
AbsoluteZero said:
The 15" Classic Sonic plush is much better.

http://TRUS.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-10763828dt.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's so cute. I asked for it for Christmas, so fingers-crossed. :)

[QUOTE=Kulock][url=http://www.4kids.tv/promos/view/soniccomic][img]http://www.mooglecavern.com/gaf/SonicComicContest.png[img][/url]

Speaking of horrors, oh boy, Sonic Live! all over again!

Come to think of it, I don't think that could actually be you, since [spoiler]Sally's roboticized now[/spoiler].[/QUOTE]
I didn't like Sonic Live very much back then. :/

...[spoiler]Wasn't Sally roboticized before, though, and then was subjected to a de-roboticizer? They'll probably find a way to turn her back in a few issues.[/spoiler]

mr stroke

Blown away by the 3D on this game. I would have never thought this would be a good game for 3D but holly shit. This game is demo material for 3D TV's(PS3 version at least)

Everything is bright, so much depth(even more so on the 2D sonic levels), little to no ghosting, and almost no image quality or resolution loss.

ShadiWulf

mr stroke said:
Blown away by the 3D on this game. I would have never thought this would be a good game for 3D but holly shit. This game is demo material for 3D TV's(PS3 version at least)

Everything is bright, so much depth(even more so on the 2D sonic levels), little to no ghosting, and almost no image quality or resolution loss.
What is the GUN Truck like in 3D? I really want to get a 3D Display just so I can experience that xD

Also everyone can thank Iizuka-san for the 3D mode, he said it was his idea and that no one else wanted it in an interview.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Those stuff dolls ain't cute. :p

I think a solid figurine of 20th Anniversary Classic Sonic would be much better.

mr stroke

ShadiWulf said:
What is the GUN Truck like in 3D? I really want to get a 3D Display just so I can experience that xD

Also everyone can thank Iizuka-san for the 3D mode, he said it was his idea and that no one else wanted it in an interview.

Amazing, everything looks like it has its own plane with lots of depth. Nothing pops out at you, so the 3D is pretty subtle is some spots. Its the image quality that makes this game demo material(yes even better than the awesome looking Uncharted 3)

Every game I have tried in 3D from Gears 3, Motorstorm, to Uncharted 3 has some sort of resolution or image quality loss. Where Sonic for some reason doesn't. Best 3D game to date IMO.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ULTROS! said:
Those stuff dolls ain't cute. :p

I think a solid figurine of 20th Anniversary Classic Sonic would be much better.
Figurines aren't as cuddly. :(

The figure looks good (er, outside of the crease in the belly for turning the figure):

2ry37u0.jpg

These are probably the ones to go for, though:

2im3pdh.jpg

Zen

Banned
Zomba13 said:
Personally I prefer Generations. Colours is still awesome but Generations is awesome and brings the nostalgia hard and has better 2D sections (Classic Sonic 2D > colours 2D imo).

I feel that without the nostalgia it would be no contest. The only flaw with Colors is that the levels can feel a bit dull on their first vanilla run, but once everything has been unlocked, there's nothing close to that in 99% of generations. Generations spends so much of its time being shackled down to the designs of the past that it ends up playing everything so safe, and doesn't really have an identity of its own to contribute beyond borrowing 3D formula of Colors/Unleashed. It's also no coincidence that the best modern levels in Generations feature a great deal of 2D segments, much like Colors, but Generations also lacks a good amount of hidden extras in levels, and seems to have far less meaningful branching paths.

While classic Sonic is fun and nostalgic, the level design and mechanics don't really recreate the classic Sonic experience aside from the surface level stuff. The Pinball element is completely omitted in the level design, as well as classic Sonic himself.

Don't get me wrong, I like Generations, but I am glad that I paid 30 dollars on Steam for it, and I would slot Colors ahead of it. I'm going to be much more excited for Sonic Teams next wholly original Sonic game. Nostalgia is great, but it doesn't offer any surprises.

DeVeAn

I cannot believe no one damn ice level is represented in the game aside from Diamond Dust music. Where the hell is Ice Cap?

Throavium

Classic Sonic Crisis City sucks. The enemies suck, and there's endless bottomless pits, lava vistas, and lava pits. I get the serious case of sweaty hands, when I'm trying to make sure I don't fall to my death if I miss a floating platform while wind is blowing me backwards.

branny

Those interested in speed runs may want to check out DarkspinesSonic's and Paraxade0's YouTube channels. There will surely be more uploaded in the future, and they also have quite a few from other games to enjoy as well.
I feel like a broken record. D:

Throavium said:
Classic Sonic Crisis City sucks. The enemies suck, and there's endless bottomless pits, lava vistas, and lava pits. I get the serious case of sweaty hands, when I'm trying to make sure I don't fall to my death if I miss a floating platform while wind is blowing me backwards.

So it's too hard for you?

I think it's one of the best classic levels, dark and atmospheric... and yes it's challenging!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
TheOGB said:
Holy shit

that level's flow looks... so weird. It's possible, as it was just shown, but something about it still feels... broken and disjointed, like the actual look of the level iteslf.
Like I said it's one of the better designed levels cause it's all super split timing stuff. But honestly I feel like it's designed as a final level not a near end level.

Top Bottom