• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

bryehn said:
You screwed me again GAF, I just can't seem to like this game everything feels so disjointed and modern Sonic still blows. Trading this puppy in while its still worth something.

Maybe it's just not for you? I've certainly been recommended a number of games that I didn't like in my time playing videogames.

Teknoman

bryehn said:
You screwed me again GAF, I just can't seem to like this game everything feels so disjointed and modern Sonic still blows. Trading this puppy in while its still worth something.

How so?

EDIT: Modern Sonic doesnt blow in the least bit, but maybe you just dont like it? Starcraft doesnt blow, but I just cant roll with RTS games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
bryehn said:
Screwed you again? How?

Do you think we're just making shit up? I absolutely adore this game. It feels great to play and it's a ton of fun.

Not every can love every game even if the game in question is of generally high quality.

qq more

bryehn said:
You didn't try the demo BEFORE purchasing the game?

And disjointed... how exactly?

J@hranimo

Banned
bryehn said:

If you're talking about Classic Sonic not playing exactly like the Genesis titles, that's understandable.

If you're talking about Modern Sonic and his controls and mobility, then....I don't know what you're getting at here. This play style is built up from Colors, which was built up from Unleashed and with each of those games there have been improvements. I mean if you're just not feeling it, then alrighty then. Every game isn't for everyone.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Verve said:
Planet Wisp is the first level I don't like... both acts.
Never played Colors and as it seems for the better. Don't like these temporary abilities one gets in the level. Like the mechanic for Mario or Kirby games but it should really stay there imho.
The Colours version of Planet Wisp is soooo much better than the Generations version.

Er... I don't think anyone screwed you. I think there were still many people in that thread who still warned that Generations is not a perfect game by any means. Hopefully you tried the demo prior to purchasing the game. Modern Sonic's mechanics is a bit of what he did in Colours and Unleashed with better drifting. I'll admit that I enjoyed Colours more, but I really liked Modern Sonic's level designs and mechanics here.

Perhaps it isn't to your liking and that's fine too. Different cups of tea, etc, etc.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and remember our figurines discussion last night? Well... I went to TRU because they had a huge sale on stuff and I wanted to pick some stuff up for my little brother for Christmas. They had the Sonic and Mario stuff for 20% off, so I decided to buy a few things for myself while I was at it (incl. the Wii version of Unleashed which was for $10).

The Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic figures are still in the car trunk, but I picked up Super Classic Sonic and Super Modern Sonic. Here:

SRU1u.jpg

They also had a Shadow figure but I was like... nahhhhh...

Zomba13

Dark Schala said:
Oh and remember our figurines discussion last night? Well... I went to TRU because they had a huge sale on stuff and I wanted to pick some stuff up for my little brother for Christmas. They had the Sonic and Mario stuff for 20% off, so I decided to buy a few things for myself while I was at it (incl. the Wii version of Unleashed which was for $10).

The Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic figures are still in the car trunk, but I picked up Super Classic Sonic and Super Modern Sonic. Here:

http://i.imgur.com/SRU1u.jpg[IMG]

They also had a Shadow figure but I was like... nahhhhh...[/QUOTE]
:o That Classic Super Sonic looks so good.

Mike M

Nick N
Is Super Sonic just a 20-year homage to DBZ Super Sayian (sp?) mode, or is there some other source material about getting golden spiky hair that both are making references to?

qq more

Mike M said:
Is Super Sonic just a 20-year homage to DBZ Super Sayian (sp?) mode, or is there some other source material about getting golden spiky hair that both are making references to?
IIRC, Yuji Naka was a big DBZ fan while working on Sonic 2. At least that's what I've heard.

McNum

Ooh, the
Time Brake
skill DOES do what I hoped it did. And it's unlimited use? Why, Sega... you shouldn't have. This will make red ring collecting as Modern Sonic much easier. The lack of a Night Palace level from Sonic and the Secret Rings is now forgiven, even if I wanted to see it in HD. This nod is much better.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
lol, just wait until I have time to take the other figures out of the trunk. I'm on my lunch break now, that's why. :)

McNum said:
Ooh, the
Time Brake
skill DOES do what I hoped it did. And it's unlimited use? Why, Sega... you shouldn't have. This will make red ring collecting as Modern Sonic much easier. The lack of a Night Palace level from Sonic and the Secret Rings is now forgiven, even if I wanted to see it in HD. This nod is much better.
How does that skill work, exactly? Does it just...
slow down time and enemies' movements?

Zomba13 said:
Sonic is DBZ.
Sonic = Goku
Shadow = Vageta
Silver = Trunks
Super forms = Super Saiyan
Chaos Emeralds = Dragon Balls
Death Egg = Death Star (Not DBZ but still)
Does that mean Tails is Bulma since he's good with gadgets and stuff?

Zomba13

Sonic is DBZ.
Sonic = Goku
Shadow = Vageta
Silver = Trunks
Super forms = Super Saiyan
Chaos Emeralds = Dragon Balls
Death Egg = Death Star (Not DBZ but still)

Nabs

bryehn said:
Ha. You had a demo. Don't go blaming this on anyone else.

Sonic 4's homing attack can be spammed indefinitely and 'justifies' a lot of that games haphazard level design because REALLY GOOD PLAYERS SHOULD JUST STICK TO HOMING ATTACK BRIDGES AT THE TOP OF THE LEVEL

Sonic Generation's for classic stops you dead in your tracks if you try to use it outside of hitting an enemy. I still think it should be tweaked, like having a small charge to balance it out, but it's not exactly the end times when as opposed to 4 Generations was genuinely built with the old style of play in mind.

Zomba13

Dark Schala said:
lol, just wait until I have time to take the other figures out of the trunk. I'm on my lunch break now, that's why. :)

Does that mean Tails is Bulma since he's good with gadgets and stuff?
Yup.

Amy is Chichi.
Knuckles is Piccolo.

0 HP

bryehn said:
I like how nobody sees where this guy is coming from

qq more

0 HP said:
Not liking a game is fine. I don't think this game is seriously for everyone. But there's a DEMO on PSN/XBLA. He could of have played that before buying it. So instead of doing that, he blames us.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
0 HP said:
I do see where he's coming from with the disjointed bit (which is why I thought Colours was a more cohesive product in terms of world-design, level design and utilization of both Modern Sonic's mechanics and the Wisp powerups). It's just not his cup of tea, and that's fine.

But claiming GAF screwed him despite having access to a demo and game footage, and even GAF members' criticisms of the game in the other Generations thread, isn't exactly the truest thing. At least I hope not.

Zomba13 said:
Yup.

Amy is Chichi.
Knuckles is Piccolo.
It all makes sense! :O

Does that mean Robotnik is Emperor Pilaf or the Ox King?

McNum

Dark Schala said:
Yup. It
slows EVERYTHING down. Sonic, the enemies, the sound effects, the timer, everything. So you can basically give yourself twice as long a reaction time to hit alternate routes or avoid enemies.
Pretty handy when hunting red rings.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dark Schala said:
I do see where he's coming from with the disjointed bit (which is why I thought Colours was a more cohesive product in terms of world-design, level design and utilization of both Modern Sonic's mechanics and the Wisp powerups). It's just not his cup of tea, and that's fine.

But claiming GAF screwed him despite having access to a demo and game footage, and even GAF members' criticisms of the game in the other Generations thread, isn't exactly the truest thing. At least I hope not.

It all makes sense! :O

Does that mean Robotnik is Emperor Pilaf or the Ox King?
He is Pilaf. Ox King isn't a villain at all.

Really enjoy doing challenges and going for red rings in this game. Being able to select different music tracks for every stage is HUGE.

Mega-disappointed that Supersonic Racing was cut short though.

Cleaned up Green Hill, now to move forward.

Zomba13

Seeing the Super Sonics made me want to post some of my Sonic stuff I have around my computer.

bolkI.jpg

A little Sonic that stands on my monitor (want to get the whole set at some point. When I got this one they only had them individually in Gamestation and didn't have all of them)

BZvHi.jpg

Sonic plushie I got for my birthday off a friend a few years ago. That range of plushies were the best Sonic ones I'd seen. I hoped to get Tails and Knuckles at some point but didn't have the money or effort to get them.

Cf4SH.jpg

Knuckles, Tails and Sonic statue things. They were pretty cheap and really awesome.

Zomba13

Throavium said:
You stopped making sense here. These comparisons are forced. You got off track at Silver = Trunks.
Trunks = Saiyan that travels back in time to defeat an evil that is destroying his world
Silver = Hedgehog that travels back in time to defeat the evil that destroyed the world

Piccolo = Former enemy turned ally
Knuckles = Former enemy (though he was tricked I guess) turned ally (who still seems to get tricked frequently)

I'll give you Amy/Chichi though. They only match up because they are the female love interest of the main character (well, Amy kinda is in a way).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If anything, Planet Wisp in generations made me more interested in Colors due to the wisp power it gives you. Really feeling the concept of power ups in the Sonic experience.

Just wish it were on 360. :/

scitek

Brandon F said:
If anything, Planet Wisp in generations made me more interested in Colors due to the wisp power it gives you. Really feeling the concept of power ups in the Sonic experience.

Well, the Wii didn't get Generations, it got Colors instead. Tit for tat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Drkirby said:
He is Pilaf. Ox King isn't a villain at all.
I was thinking of the facial hair (even though it's not even a moustache) and the specs. It's a poor comparison anyway.

7FEK5.jpg

Zomba13 said:
http://i.imgur.com/Cf4SH.jpg[IMG]
Knuckles, Tails and Sonic statue things. They were pretty cheap and really awesome.[/QUOTE]
I really like those last set of figures. They're very pleasing to the eye.

When the latest First4Figures Knuckles statue went up for preorder, I was planning on getting one, but $160-190 US is out of my price range at the moment. It's very nice, though:

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/154c13n.jpg

Zomba13

Dark Schala said:
I was thinking of the facial hair (even though it's not even a moustache) and the specs. It's a poor comparison anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/7FEK5.jpg[IMG]

I really like those last set of figures. They're very pleasing to the eye.

When the latest First4Figures Knuckles statue went up for preorder, I was planning on getting one, but $160-190 US is out of my price range at the moment. It's very nice, though:

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/154c13n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I really want their Metal Sonic. Bit too pricey for me though but it looks so bad ass. Especially the one that glows.

qq more

Brandon F said:

Get it for the Wii then... that is if you own a Wii.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
qq more said:
Get it for the Wii then... that is if you own a Wii.
The best thing about Colours is that you can use any control scheme you want. I used the 'Cube controller and enjoyed it. So if people aren't comfortable with the Wiimote, they can use the CCPro or the GCN controller.

Zomba13 said:
I really want their Metal Sonic. Bit too pricey for me though but it looks so bad ass. Especially the one that glows.
I know, it looks awesome. It's too bad they seem to be even more limited than the Knuckles figures.

betoa.jpg

Hixx

What will I miss out on if I just sack Modern Sonic's challenges off apart from achievements which I'm not particularly arsed about? I didn't mind Modern Sonic at first but after a while the floaty jumping and stiff movement are becoming quite intolerable. Fucking LOVE classic sonic and I'm breezing through his challenges no problem.

qq more

HixxSAFC said:
What will I miss out on if I just sack Modern Sonic's challenges off apart from achievements which I'm not particularly arsed about? I didn't mind Modern Sonic at first but after a while the floaty jumping and stiff movement are becoming quite intolerable. Fucking LOVE classic sonic and I'm breezing through his challenges no problem.
Hidden Artwork/Unlockable Music is what you'll be likely only be missing.

SwiftSketcher said:
Uh.. so has Gamespot seriously not reviewed this game yet?

Why should they? It's a Sonic game, those are always terrible.

But did you hear the new Call of Duty is out? That's a much better bet to be a good game, you should get that instead.

LaneDS

Any thing unlocked for S ranking all stages, or all stages and challenges? How about getting all the red rings? I'd like to at least unlock all the music.

TimmiT

LaneDS said:
Any thing unlocked for S ranking all stages, or all stages and challenges? How about getting all the red rings? I'd like to at least unlock all the music.
Seems like you need to get most if not all red rings to unlock all the music. Getting all red rings in a stage earns you a new skill. Seems like the only reward for S ranking all stages is an achievement/trophy. S ranking challenges gets you nothing.

Sciz

Professor Beef said:
Linking this song helps reduce the pain that it brings me.
Here's a thought, instead of repeatedly torturing both yourself and the rest of the board and giving that video more hits in the process, do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKSWdhWD9FU

Hey look, instead of an unspeakable abomination, it's a pleasant, underappreciated track that'll make someone happy.

Here, I'll do it again:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFiHDXID4uc

That was easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or0STpVWUFY

Ahhhhh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDMN8XKs1z0

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
AbsoluteZero said:
Why should they? It's a Sonic game, those are always terrible.

But did you hear the new Call of Duty is out? That's a much better bet to be a good game, you should get that instead.

He said "Gamespot," not "Gamestop."

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Planet Wisp classic is horrible. I hate it with all my heart. The challenges are a pain in the ***, the spike wisp is a pain in the ***, the pickaxe-throwing enemies are a pain in the ***.

JCV said:
Planet Wisp classic is horrible. I hate it with all my heart. The challenges are a pain in the ***, the spike wisp is a pain in the ***, the pickaxe-throwing enemies are a pain in the ***.

Your censoring is a pain in the ass too :p

Top Bottom