• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

RagnarokX

Planet Wisp was heavily industrialized in Colors, guys. If anything there is more wilderness in Generations.

The level's problem isn't the scenery, it's the overreliance on wisps, especially in Act 1. Act 1 is essentially a series of painfully easy but slow puzzles with very little real platforming. It's just not fun. What they should have done was design the level to be just like the rest and not used the wisps at all or if they did use the wisps use them sparingly and for normal platforming. Use spikes for navigation, not puzzle solving. Sky Sanctuary didn't have elemental shields; hell, none of the levels even had normal shields.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
RobbieNick said:
Woo-Hoo! Finally got homing attack for classic Sonic. Makes getting red rings on some levels much easier.
I just like how fucking fast he moves when he does it, you can lock on to dudes off screen as well.

Mistle

Generations:
Planet Wisp Act 1 -> Spike abused, takes place inside the building areas way too much. Doesn't feel like a lush planet that has been industrialised at all. Bad level.

Act 2 -> Didn't have any problems. Nice balance of scenery. Rocket was fine. Length didn't bother me. Had fun!

Colours:
Awesome level all-round!

RobbieNick

Mistle said:
Generations:
Planet Wisp Act 1 -> Spike abused, takes place inside the building areas way too much. Doesn't feel like a lush planet that has been industrialised at all. Bad level.

Act 2 -> Didn't have any problems. Nice balance of scenery. Rocket was fine. Length didn't bother me. Had fun!

Colours:
Awesome level all-round!

^ This.

DeVeAn

Lot of people are acting like "Modern Sonic" is a cancer. Why is this? I actually enjoy M.Sonic a little more than C.Sonic. I grew up on classic too and agree with most that was the golden era for Sonic.

Don't all characters evolve through out time anyway? Hell, Mario, Link, Mega Man all had changes. If they all stayed exactly the same wouldn't it have gotten bland and boring?

Mistle said:
Generations:

Colours:
Awesome level all-round!

It never felt like that in Colours either.

Firestorm

DeVeAn said:
Lot of people are acting like "Modern Sonic" is a cancer. Why is this? I actually enjoy M.Sonic a little more than C.Sonic. I grew up on classic too and agree with most that was the golden era for Sonic.

Don't all characters evolve through out time anyway? Hell, Mario, Link, Mega Man all had changes. If they all stayed exactly the same wouldn't it have gotten bland and boring?
Those characters evolved. Sonic's core gameplay mechanic changed. He mutated.

PJX

So Yodel lost my delivery containing Sonic Generation Collectors Edition and Dodonpachi Resurrection. I don't think I'm ever going to order anything from Amazon anymore if they continue to use that horrible company.

Mistle

Phonomezer said:
It never felt like that in Colours either.
*shrug* it did to me.

I agree 100%. I think that Classic Sonic in Generations is the closest they've ever gotten to capturing the magic of the MegaDrive games, and it's a blast to play. But I always anticipate the modern levels much more and prefer them.

Tizoc

Phew just beat the game, ending was sweet.
Next on my list for this game:
Get Homing Attack for Classic Sonic, Get S-Rank on all stages, Clear all stages in online mode, Clear all challenges.

So long as UC3, Rayman Origins & AC Bro don't cut in a lot into my gaming time, I should be able to Platinum these by December v^_^v

Firestorm said:
Those characters evolved. Sonic's core gameplay mechanic changed. He mutated.

Eh, I'm not entirely sure that's true. I think it has more to do with level design than anything else - boosting and such is just a one-button, instant-release spindash that has an energy meter for how long you're allowed to use it.

Other moves in Sonic's arsenal evolved out of previous mechanics as well - the Bubble Shield in Sonic 3 became the bounce attack in Sonic Adventure 2, which became the Stomp attack in Sonic Unleashed.

The issue here is the levels they put Sonic in - being largely locked in to scripted paths with auto-accelerate boost pads so you're always in exactly the right place, at exactly the right time, at exactly the right speed, every single time you play.

Going by some people who are starting to make custom levels for the PC version, Sonic Adventure apparently has a somewhat decent 3D representation of "classic Sonic physics", but you'd never know that because the game is too busy forcing you through the script.

AniHawk

and there it is. a platinum trophy. this is the first time i've done that for a game, although i always meant to for mirror's edge and came close to it in others like arkham asylum.

i didn't find the final boss too annoying. sure, i lost 19 lives trying to get the can't touch this trophy, but that was after i'd already beaten it in 4 minutes on my second try. the worst thing about it was the controls.

now that i've had plenty of time with the game, and pretty much seen everything it has to offer, i think it was a pretty good anniversary package. however, i am disappointed with some decisions in the level design. with classic sonic, it's just three or four levels at most that actually feel like classic sonic, with too much from modern sonic intruding on the rest of his levels, making them feel like 2d modern sonic segments without a homing attack. modern sonic levels are all right, but a lot of them consist of the same thing. i think it's too bad that the lightspeed dash was pretty much dropped after the level it was introduced in, because most of the game feels like sonic unleashed/colors.

the game is still fun to play though, and most of my complaints of classic sonic stem from knowing we won't get another game with him as at least half the star for at least a few more years (if he proves popular enough to sway some people at sega to think about using him again). maybe for the 25th anniversary.

DeVeAn said:

The more and more I read impressions of people who've completed the game the more I see people basically say 'Came for the Classic. Stayed for the Modern.'

Sometimes I feel like Sega threw is Classic as bait like 'Okay guys, Colors is a really awesome game. We've finally perfected Sonic gameplay... now how are we going to get people to give this a chance and finally stop holding on to 20 year old games and nostalgia wanking?'

'Just throw in some Retro stages and make an alternate model of the old cute chubby Sonic... but here's the catch... you have to play as the modern Sonic to get to the next act!'

'Perfect!'

classic sonic at the start of chemical plant can't just run forward and up that quater pipe, fucking scripted slopes sega :/ I hate spindashing everywhere as classic but a lot of little ramps require it otherwise they flat out do not work or sonic acts like he hit a solid wall and drops.

I agree that sonic adventure 1 has good physics in places, in that game you can actually roll like a ball down hills, sonic adventure 2 was the start of the whole slowing you down dimps style but not as bad as it is now.

ksdixon

Diablohead said:
classic sonic at the start of chemical plant can't just run forward and up that quater pipe, fucking scripted slopes sega :/ I hate spindashing everywhere as classic but a lot of little ramps require it otherwise they flat out do not work or sonic acts like he hit a solid wall and drops.

oh jesus! in the old games you could usually get up a slope if you were running fast enough.
i hate forced stuff, it feels so restrictive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
1 particular stage almost ruined my entire experience for me- Crisis City. This level is simply NOT fun. As classic sonic the level is almost built around a non-existent homing jump as well as forcing the player to fight with controls in ways that simply shouldn't be occuring. It's as though it needed to be fine tuned a bit , another couple weeks of play testing. Especially the last checkpoint of the stage to the ending flag where the level breaks apart and there's a fire tornado swirling around. There was nothing enjoyable or gratifying about completing that portion.
I don't understand this opinion. Are people really having problems with this stage? I can only imagine such critique in the face of frustration. I blasted through it without any problems and replaying the stages has been satisfying. It's one of the lesser stages in the game to be sure, but it was still a lot of fun.

Pietepiet

Finished the main game yesterday. Not really sure why people hate the last three Zones so much. I loved them. They were nice and challenging.

Now to get all Red Rings and complete the Challenges. Vector's is kicking my ass...

Andrex said:
Not necessarily a bad thing, as Metroid Prime showed.
a Sonic that does not spin-dash is not Sonic

Android18a said:
I want homing attack on Classic already. Remind me how you get it again, I lost it in this thread.
get all Red Rings of Planet Wisp and be ashamed of yourself for wanting to ruin Classic Sonic with this upgrade

TimmiT

Baconbitz said:
Silly question. How do you exit the game in steam? On the main menu there is only "Press Start".
4F4D1D1CA884195551CBFEF64818FC2983C0C408

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Green contact lenses notwithstanding, what do you think happened to turn Sonic a darker shade of blue and his eyelids to change colour? Some kind of Michael Jackson body modification obsession?

Generations should have gone for the good ol' Spider-Man Clone Wars approach.

I already had high hopes for them because of Sonic Colors, but I'm still surprised at just how much I'm enjoying the Modern Sonic levels. Sonic Team is finally starting to get it. Now if they can just remember what they did for Classic Sonic for Sonic 4 Episode 2...

Berordn

Pie and Beans said:
Green contact lenses notwithstanding, what do you think happened to turn Sonic a darker shade of blue and his eyelids to change colour? Some kind of Michael Jackson body modification obsession?
All that time running around cities keeps him away from the sun.

Zomba13

Pie and Beans said:

Generations should have gone for the good ol' Spider-Man Clone Wars approach.
Puberty.

G0523

gutter_trash said:
a Sonic that does not spin-dash is not Sonic
Hitlersaurus Christ said:
http://media.strategywiki.org/images/thumb/b/b0/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_boxart_(Genesis).jpg/250px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_boxart_(Genesis).jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
And this is what happens when you DO add spin dash to a Sonic game that didn't need it:
[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_aKIwBO1p12Y/TLnlU20dnRI/AAAAAAAADF8/oz59ZzmrAOQ/s400/Sonic+The+Hedgehog+-+Genesis+(U).jpg
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
G0523 said:
And this is what happens when you DO add spin dash to a Sonic game that didn't need it:

KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!

j01.jpg

Also featuring the best 'no bottomless pits in sight' 3D Sonic experience.

goldenpp72

Loving this game, it's a bit too easy to S rank and I am sad that there is no achievement for S ranking all the missions rather than just the main stages, but I have enjoyed every single level, a few of them are sketchy as classic but once you learn them a bit they become butter sailing, I disagree that the 'modern sonic' levels that became classic are in any way inferior to the others, planet wisp does rely a bit too much on spike but once I realized you could hold X and blast off with it like in colors it helped a lot to pace it up.

Modern is also very fun, a bit short but all the missions are fun and I love this game, it's about time :D

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
3 more trophies till the platinuuuuuuum.

I'm so glad I beat Vector, he was fucking hard (I managed to reach A only though).

Anth0ny

Sega1991 said:
Going by some people who are starting to make custom levels for the PC version, Sonic Adventure apparently has a somewhat decent 3D representation of "classic Sonic physics", but you'd never know that because the game is too busy forcing you through the script.

See? This is why I prefer the Adventure games. Boost gameplay sucks.

Therefore Modern Sonic sucks.

Therefore get off my lawn you stupid kids.

Pie and Beans

Anth0ny said:
See? This is why I prefer the Adventure games. Boost gameplay sucks.

Therefore Modern Sonic sucks.

Therefore get off my lawn you stupid kids.

As mad as it is, I understand where you come from on Sonic 2k6 holding something in its fucked up innards that seems worthwhile over the recent games. Because it is of course the direct heir to the two adventure games. There are a few parts in Sonic Adventure 1 and perhaps only one I can remember in Sonic Adventure 2 that seem like the right steps towards the old classics physics and level design in 3d.

They are when you go from running along the floor to up the side of a wall. The best remembered examples are in Emerald Coast when you enter the overgrown like tunnely area and a big curved wall in City Escape before a GUN robot. Obviously Speed Highway has elements of that too. That to me is what it should ALL be about.

Since then however, theyve not cropped up. Unleashed, Colours, and Generations all favour a really sloppy somewhat slidey feeling basic physics set and will continue to do so I guess because fans seem very easily pleased these days. Non completely bugged pieces of shit being printed on disc and not shoehorning in horrendous 'Other Character' gameplay has been more than enough for most Sonic fans to call off the divorce and engage in indulgent 'make up sex' in the form of evangelising the most recent games as 'amazing' across the internet.

Nert

Pie and Beans said:
Since then however, theyve not cropped up. Unleashed, Colours, and Generations all favour a really sloppy somewhat slidey feeling basic physics set and will continue to do so I guess because fans seem very easily pleased these days. Non completely bugged pieces of shit being printed on disc and not shoehorning in horrendous 'Other Character' gameplay has been more than enough for most Sonic fans to call off the divorce and engage in indulgent 'make up sex' in the form of evangelising the most recent games as 'amazing' across the internet.

Uhh... maybe some people just enjoy the way the game plays? I don't think that the Modern Sonic controls are "good" when moving very slowly, but the control scheme and physics are well suited for blazing through a level. I also happen to enjoy the focus on what are essentially race tracks with branching paths, as it offers something that's not really found elsewhere in platforming. If I want to play a slower, more methodical platformer, there are plenty of other options out there (including the Classic levels, which are on the same disc). Attempting to better my times on levels like Modern Rooftop Run and Modern Chemical Plant has been really addicting and rewarding.

Baconbitz

Banned
I've got the required amount of space for the game to run and it "barely" runs. I'm pretty sure it's my fault. I finished Greenhill zone while it lagged the whole way through. My question is do I need more space? Requirements here.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I just stated getting into the online portion of the game and checked out the leaderboards. How are people finishing Green Hill Zone in 30 seconds? That's insane.

Top Bottom