• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Dark Octave said:
I just stated getting into the online portion of the game and checked out the leaderboards. How are people finishing Green Hill Zone in 30 seconds?

Yeah, it's exactly this reason why I think any game that has leaderboards should allow the download of ghost data to see if it is actually possible or simply someone exploiting the game.

Dark Octave said:
I just stated getting into the online portion of the game and checked out the leaderboards. How are people finishing Green Hill Zone in 30 seconds? That's insane.

They're down to 30 seconds now? I was questioning the 45 second finishes.

EDIT: PC version

qq more

Pie and Beans said:
Unleashed, Colours, and Generations all favour a really sloppy somewhat slidey feeling basic physics set and will continue to do so I guess because fans seem very easily pleased these days.
Fans... very easily pleased? Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

qq more said:
Fans... very easily pleased? Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

No, there is some truth to that, especially around here. If Sega takes a single step in the right direction, a good portion of fans tend to become indifferent toward, or even embrace, less desirable aspects. Along with that is the fact that you get shamed for making a complaint.

Take adding classic gameplay. It was a step in the right direction, but was ultimately flawed because of physics issues, unbalanced moves, ect. Yet, it is generally well received, and the people that point out flaws get the 'lol green eyes' treatment.

Not saying it's universal, it's just something I've observed lately.

qq more

TheCongressman1 said:
No, there is some truth to that, especially around here. If Sega takes a single step in the right direction, a good portion of fans tend to become indifferent toward, or even embrace, less desirable aspects. Along with that is the fact that you get shamed for making a complaint.

Not saying it's universal, it's just something I've observed lately.
I haven't paid too much attention about that lately in GAF at least. Has it actually happened here?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just remember the posts. I take back what I've said, sorry Pie and Beans

qq more

Sega1991 said:
Going by some people who are starting to make custom levels for the PC version, Sonic Adventure apparently has a somewhat decent 3D representation of "classic Sonic physics", but you'd never know that because the game is too busy forcing you through the script.
Some of the platforms are very hard to reach in this custom level. :(

Anth0ny

So... I don't think Generations charted in Japan? And it was outside the top 10 in most of Europe.

All that's left if the NPD info. Til then...

BOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

qq more

Anth0ny said:
So... I don't think Generations charted in Japan? And it was outside the top 10 in most of Europe.

All that's left if the NPD info. Til then...

BOMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Sonic never charts in Japan. Not even in his heydays.

Slightly Live said:
The Perfect Chaos boss battle is some poorly made jank. So many hidden death pits and glitchy geometry. Such a disgraceful mess.
I passed the first time with no deaths...probably because I played through SA twice (or more) and it was harder, even with super sonic.
I'm having trouble on the 3rd boss (dat wall!)

Sciz

Anth0ny said:
It debuted far, far better in the UK than either Unleashed or Colors. And both of those games went up in the ranks over the following weeks.

It'll do fine.

branny

I haven't been keeping up with this thread but I jumped like five feet out of my chair last night encountering a glitch that scared the bejeezers outta me.

I was doing the Rooftop Run skateboarding challenge with Modern Sonic and was at the part where you run up the face of the tower while enemies shoot lasers at you. I got hit and fell off. It was taking forever to fall so I decided to stomp my way down in order to descend quicker. I fell through the world and everything went black after the audio violently cut out. It was like the sound of a car crash followed by the deafening silence of death, complete with not being able to see anything anymore. Everything stayed black when I tried restarting the stage from the pause menu. Exiting out of the stage to the hub worked, but the sound was still completely gone.

I had to reset my PS3 to get everything back to normal. I think I accidentally murdered Sonic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
AbsoluteZero said:
Don't forget two Kirby games and Super Mario 3D Land.
I am loving this platforming revival. All the platformers spread over the past two years have been fantastic.

All we needed was Mega Man X9 or Mega Man 11.

Anth0ny said:
Generations hasn't even been released in Japan yet. December 1st.

XaFnk.png

qq more

branny said:
I haven't been keeping up with this thread but I jumped like five feet out of my chair last night encountering a glitch that scared the bejeezers outta me.

I was doing the Rooftop Run skateboarding challenge with Modern Sonic and was at the part where you run up the face of the tower while enemies shoot lasers at you. I got hit and fell off. It was taking forever to fall so I decided to stomp my way down in order to descend quicker. I fell through the world and everything went black after the audio violently cut out. It was like the sound of a car crash followed by the deafening silence of death, complete with not being able to see anything anymore. Everything stayed black when I tried restarting the stage from the pause menu. Exiting out of the stage to the hub worked, but the sound was still completely gone.

I had to reset my PS3 to get everything back to normal. I think I accidentally murdered Sonic.
Holy shittttt

Dark Schala said:
I am loving this platforming revival. All the platformers spread over the past two years have been fantastic.

All we needed was Mega Man X9 or Mega Man 11.

Generations hasn't even been released in Japan yet. December 1st.

XaFnk.png

Past two years? Try last five. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
AbsoluteZero said:

Hrm, yeah. I would probably say it was NSMB that caused this rash of new platformers, or at least was the first of the wave.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
AbsoluteZero said:
I should've clarified with "a huge plethora of releases in the past two years alone". I guess it didn't hit me untl last year, though. I know the generation alone has been awesome all around for platformers. :D

2010: Sonic Colours, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Ivy the Kiwi?, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Meat Boy, etc

2011: Sonic Generations (HD and 3DS), Kirby's Return to Dreamland, Rayman Origins, Super Mario 3D Land, Kirby Mass Attack, etc

A Boy and His Blob Wii was one of my favourites of 2009, along with NSMBWii. :3

Like Andrex said, it's probably NSMB that caused the first wave in 2006.

Anth0ny said:
oh wow. I saw some Japanese speed run videos and assumed it was out there >_>
They probably imported it since it had the language option on there, lol. The PS3 version probably defaults to the system language if you're using subs. I'll see if that's the case later. I haven't even tried the Japanese dub yet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wario Land Shake, VVVVVV, Super Mario Galaxy, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, NyxQuest, Splosion Man, Mega Man 9 and 10 and Powered Up and Maverick Hunter, Limbo, Braid, Epic Mickey, N+, Super Princess Peach, Lost in Shadow, Castlevania DS trilogy...

Truly amazing the platformers that have come out this gen. Amazing.

huh. Not sure if I'm liking this or not. Is it just me or does the side scrolling levels/sections strain the eyes? Really hard to keep up with what's going on. Not sure why o_O.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Andrex said:
Wario Land Shake, VVVVVV, Super Mario Galaxy, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, NyxQuest, Splosion Man, Mega Man 9 and 10 and Powered Up and Maverick Hunter, Limbo, Braid, Epic Mickey, N+, Super Princess Peach, Lost in Shadow, Castlevania DS trilogy...

Truly amazing the platformers that have come out this gen. Amazing.
Super Princess Peach was my medicine for my 2 hour commute to school along with Elite Beat Agents at the time. I love that game. :) Same with Powered Up! and Maverick Hunter.

I picked up Lost in Shadow a few weeks ago, but didn't start it yet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I really wanted to get it but reviews weren't too hot, so I got Ivy the Kiwi instead. Still haven't gotten really far in it though.

I should replay SPP. I remember it being mindlessly entertaining.

Driving to work this morning, doing my usual 80 and fresh off Sonic Generations the night before got me thinking about something really nerdy: I wonder if anyone has ever done a Sonic to ground ratio calculation to see exactly how fast he can travel in real world mph.

Could somebody do me a favour and please post a list of what challenges to beat in order to unlock music?

I want to unlock all the music as soon as possible, but I like the surprise of finding out what I've just unlocked, so I don't want to simply go to GameFAQs and look it up. I don't suppose somebody can copy and paste a list somewhere, but delete the actual music that's unlocked, leaving only a list of the challenges that need beating?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
@that dA pic: that's kind of the image I got when I got to that part, lol.

Andrex said:
I really wanted to get it but reviews weren't too hot, so I got Ivy the Kiwi instead. Still haven't gotten really far in it though.

I should replay SPP. I remember it being mindlessly entertaining.
I played the DS version of Kiwi. It kind of reminded me of Canvas Curse, only you have to think quicker. It was pretty fun, and the artstyle is great. I wonder if the Wii version controls better/has better physics, though.

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Capcom: (laughs)
:(

Shotgun Kiss said:
Could somebody do me a favour and please post a list of what challenges to beat in order to unlock music?

I want to unlock all the music as soon as possible, but I like the surprise of finding out what I've just unlocked, so I don't want to simply go to GameFAQs and look it up. I don't suppose somebody can copy and paste a list somewhere, but delete the actual music that's unlocked, leaving only a list of the challenges that need beating?
I'd like to know this too. Also, does unlocked music still have the "boosting drowned-out" effect applied to it?

goomba

Banned
Wow I can't believe the difference enabling "game mode" on my tv makes to this game. It was near unplayable
Because of the lag before I did so!.

Teknoman

Pie and Beans said:
As mad as it is, I understand where you come from on Sonic 2k6 holding something in its fucked up innards that seems worthwhile over the recent games. Because it is of course the direct heir to the two adventure games. There are a few parts in Sonic Adventure 1 and perhaps only one I can remember in Sonic Adventure 2 that seem like the right steps towards the old classics physics and level design in 3d.

They are when you go from running along the floor to up the side of a wall. The best remembered examples are in Emerald Coast when you enter the overgrown like tunnely area and a big curved wall in City Escape before a GUN robot. Obviously Speed Highway has elements of that too. That to me is what it should ALL be about.

Since then however, theyve not cropped up. Unleashed, Colours, and Generations all favour a really sloppy somewhat slidey feeling basic physics set and will continue to do so I guess because fans seem very easily pleased these days. Non completely bugged pieces of shit being printed on disc and not shoehorning in horrendous 'Other Character' gameplay has been more than enough for most Sonic fans to call off the divorce and engage in indulgent 'make up sex' in the form of evangelising the most recent games as 'amazing' across the internet.

Generations is still fun though, regardless of past game quality. Graphics and soundtrack are equally great.

Oreoleo

AniHawk said:
which should add a few dozen in sales at least

11 people out of my 230 Steam friends own the game. If we extrapolate that against the 3.85 million people currently on Steam, that's over 180k copies sold! Flawless logic! :p

qq more

Professor Beef said:
If not for MvC and SFIV, I would've cut Capcom from my heart already.
The fact UMvC3 came out in the same year as the original game pissed me off. Capcom is completely cut from my heart. :(

Berordn

SwiftSketcher said:
I'd like to know this too. Also, does unlocked music still have the "boosting drowned-out" effect applied to it?
No, and it doesn't muffle it underwater either. Speed-up music is replaced with a jingle from Sonic Adventure too, for Classic levels.

Top Bottom