• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

qq more said:
I heard the 360 version is better with handling the framerate (still 30 FPS though but you're fine with that)

The PC version sounds definite though aside from the complaints I'm hearing about Chemical Plant for some steam users.
chemical plant on pc seems to chug due to date streaming at key points, it is one of the bigger visual changing stages in the game so maybe that is why.

The Broken Ska Record said:
The final boss is frustrating because I can't seem to catch up to him easily. Also, running out of rings sucks.

Also also, Planet Wisp is horrible.
first half of classic planet wisp is amazing, then it goes downhill with SPIKES SPIKES SPIKES and lots of cogs to turn, reminds me of sonic 4 labyrinth zone act 3 which was shit.

Modern wisp is good but drags out at the end, protip: you can boost while resting on a cart, I never knew this until my 3rd run through and it sped up those sections nicely. Still too long and boring.

Zomba13

Nabs said:
It looks like Online Mode may crash if you have too many friends on Steam. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2229502

Lets hope they fix it soon.
So THAT is why!

Gonna try and cull my friends list to 99. Got a few 'friends' on my list I never talk/play with

EDIT: Cut 16 friends who were never on/only traded with once and it works now with 99 friends. I thought it wasn't at first because 30 second trial was taking ages to load but I hit b and it didn't crash! (it has always crashed when I hit b).

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
The quality of the level design seems to be really going downhill the closer I get to the end of the game. Just have planet wisp left now.

The final boss is frustrating because I can't seem to catch up to him easily. Also, running out of rings sucks.

Also also, Planet Wisp is horrible.
The secret is to never switch to Classic Sonic and hold down X. It only took a couple of tries after I started to do this.

AwakenedCloud said:
The secret is to never switch to Classic Sonic and hold down X. It only took a couple of tries after I started to do this.
Only switch to Classic Sonic
to avoid lasers easier and to stock rings easier.

It's helped me for the Can't Touch This trophy.

Diablohead said:
first half of classic planet wisp is amazing, then it goes downhill with SPIKES SPIKES SPIKES and lots of cogs to turn, reminds me of sonic 4 labyrinth zone act 3 which was shit.

Modern wisp is good but drags out at the end, protip: you can boost while resting on a cart, I never knew this until my 3rd run through and it sped up those sections nicely. Still too long and boring.
I absolutely agree with this. At first, I really, really liked the level then it got annoying with SPIKES! then it dragged on an on.

Same thing with Modern, it was fun at first, but I wanted more "racing" sections.

Culled my friends list a bit, and now I can access the online mode! And then my first impression was "Oh God, Modern Sonic is so slow without the Speed customization!" All my lines for the first half of Sky Sanctuary are invalid now, hahah. Oh well. At least I was able to clobber Bus's GHZ2 time, and almost beat my customized Sonic's CPZ2 time on my first try (ended up 19th).

Link1110

Diablohead said:
chemical plant on pc seems to chug due to date streaming at key points, it is one of the bigger visual changing stages in the game so maybe that is why.

Planet Wisp In this game is why I bOught unleashed first over colors. I bought Colors for DS used and Planet Wisp is easily the worst level in that game.

Luckily the wisp in act 1 in generations is nowhere to be found in colors Ds.

MechaX

Nabs said:
Planet Wisp is the best act in the Wii version of Colors.

I can vouch for this. As my friend was going through Planet Wisp in Generations, he was like "Holy shit, this stage is lame. Was it this lame in Sonic Colors?" Planet Wisp was a lot better in Sonic Colors than the treatment it got here.

OMG Aero

I can't help but feel that the problems with Planet Wisp are because they had to retool it into a final level when in Colours it was just a midpoint. Hence why the classic version at least is so long.

Suzuki Yu

my ranking scores so far (PC ver)

Green Hill ACT1 : 00.48.79
Green Hill ACT2 : 01.48.77

Chemical Plant ACT1 : 00.58.56
Chemical Plant ACT2 : 01.59.86

Sky Sanctuary ACT1 : 01.47.79
Sky Sanctuary ACT2 : 02.02.48

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nabs said:
Planet Wisp is the best act in the Wii version of Colors.
Debatable vs Aquarium Park (which I feel is one of the best underwater levels I've played in a game, period) and Sweet Mountain Act 5. But Planet Wisp is pretty damn good. Far better than the version we got in Sonic Generations (though Modern Sonic's version wasn't that bad).

I recall liking Terminal Velocity as well, despite being completely linear and consisting of mostly dodging and quick stepping. I guess I liked the mood of the entire thing.

rememeber when someone said that sega could have ported over colours as they have a back-end to do so? kind of wish they would after the visuals of generations though they need to do something about the low res jaggies in areas.

best sonic game this gen with generations taking second place, though that doesn't mean generations is terrible because it's not and classic is amazing.

canadian crowe said:
Shadow is the worst boss in the game. I got his coins down to zero and he didn't die!
RINGS, YOU FOOL. RINGS.

ARGH, IT'S THE 90'S ALL OVER AGAIN. THEY'RE NOT COINS, THAT'S MARIO.

JNHERVKBUVIYBS;VIHEUIRFGB

LTvc6.gif

Amppelix

Neo Member
canadian crowe said:
Shadow is the worst boss in the game. I got his coins down to zero and he didn't die!
Coins? Worst boss? You don't know what you're talking about, man! And/Or you should keep omochao hints on, because that's the only way to know what you're supposed to do in bosses.
For Shadow, collect the purple floating thingies before he does, and you'll power up. You have infinite boost, hit all the meteorites to slow him down so you can boost into him, which will kill him.

Diablohead said:
rememeber when someone said that sega could have ported over colours as they have a back-end to do so? kind of wish they would after the visuals of generations though they need to do something about the low res jaggies in areas.

best sonic game this gen with generations taking second place, though that doesn't mean generations is terrible because it's not and classic is amazing.

I prefer the level design in Generations, but Colors has much better level variety.

I wish they would port Colors to XBLA and PSN.

Amppelix said:
Coins? Worst boss? You don't know what you're talking about, man! And/Or you should keep omochao hints on, because that's the only way to know what you're supposed to do in bosses.
For Shadow, collect the purple floating thingies before he does, and you'll power up. You have infinite boost, hit all the meteorites to slow him down so you can boost into him, which will kill him.

That's exactly what I did.
He I was even purple when he went down to 0 coins, and he kept on running.

Good thing this game is good in every other aspect.

Teknoman

Dark Schala said:
Debatable vs Aquarium Park (which I feel is one of the best underwater levels I've played in a game, period) and Sweet Mountain Act 5. But Planet Wisp is pretty damn good. Far better than the version we got in Sonic Generations (though Modern Sonic's version wasn't that bad).

I recall liking Terminal Velocity as well, despite being completely linear and consisting of mostly dodging and quick stepping. I guess I liked the mood of the entire thing.

The mood and the music, yup. Tropical Resort stages were kinda fun though.

Teknoman

Diablohead said:

lol i'd probably double dip for a PC version of Colors and sell my Wii version if that happened.

Sciz

Dark Schala said:
Terminal Velocity definitely doesn't have any interesting gameplay, but that's okay because it's stylish as hell. Great art, great music, great atmosphere. It's the post-boss escape from the Death Egg in Sonic 2 and 3 cranked up to 11, an impossible, completely audacious scenario that the series can get away with because that's just what Sonic does. It's not something you can base an entire game around, but it's an excellent representation of the spirit of the franchise all the same.

Nabs

I really liked the level design in Generations a lot, how does Colors compare? I may pick it up at some time, but then again SPIKES! SPIKES SPIEKS!
I think Generations is way better than Colors..........

but Colors has Planet Wisp and those songs are crazy good. It's fun to play every now and then.

Oh and don't worry about Spikes and all that shit. It's not as forced as it is in Generations.

Sciz

More importantly Spikes is actually functional in Colors (along with the rest of the wisps).

The problem with Spikes in Generations, aside from being painfully stiff, is the stupid, stupid gears. What's the best thing to do with an ability that lets the player climb walls and ceilings? Force him to land on a platform hovering in the middle of the room. There's plenty of classic precedent for gimmicks that Sonic has to stop and run or spindash on, but the gears are overly complicated and overused. The two mechanics actively conflict and have nothing to do with each other.

TheOGB

Banned
Sciz said:
Terminal Velocity definitely doesn't have any interesting gameplay, but that's okay because it's stylish as hell. Great art, great music, great atmosphere. It's the post-boss escape from the Death Egg in Sonic 2 and 3 cranked up to 11, an impossible, completely audacious scenario that the series can get away with because that's just what Sonic does. It's not something you can base an entire game around, but it's an excellent representation of the spirit of the franchise all the same.
What I was thinking and then some.

Liked your writeup on Sky Sanctuary as well.

Teknoman

Sciz said:

Perfectly put.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This coins vs rings thing reminds me of third grade... Guess who was the only Sonic fan in her class and had to deal with coins vs rings all the time. :p

Even if I think Colours looks great on Wii (and even better on Dolphin), I'd pay for an HD version because the game is so fun to play through. I played that entire game with a smile on my face.

Sciz said:
Couldn't have said it better.

I guess that's another reason why I found the final boss of Generations somewhat underwhelming. I understand the overall premise of the battle: going through different eras while trying to give the player a sense of playing through an HD version of The Doomsday Zone (that's what the debris was for; that's what the homing missiles were for, etc). But at the same time, it didn't feel the same (and it's because of the messy execution regarding gameplay, audio (oh god the audio) and visuals). It didn't have the tension that both the original Doomsday Zone and Terminal Velocity made the player feel, nor did it have great atmosphere.

It's too bad, because they could have pulled off an HD Doomsday Zone-like scenario or a Terminal Velocity-like scenario well if they had put the time into it.

FreeMufasa

MechaX said:
I can vouch for this. As my friend was going through Planet Wisp in Generations, he was like "Holy shit, this stage is lame. Was it this lame in Sonic Colors?" Planet Wisp was a lot better in Sonic Colors than the treatment it got here.

Yeah. I loved Planet Wisp when I played Colours earlier this year. Was very excited to see it in generations but was suprised at how much I didn't like it. I thought maybe I gave Colours Wisp a pass but looking at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8humriMDsgA , Colours Planet Wisp is a lot better than Generations.

Also i'm addicted to this game. Pretty much cancelled all my plans today so me and my brother could go through the missions. This looks like the second game i'll Platinum after Sonic and sega racing.

Dark Schala said:
This coins vs rings thing reminds me of third grade... Guess who was the only Sonic fan in her class and had to deal with coins vs rings all the time. :p
Even my friends who had the Genesis said they were coins! It drove me loony!

CaVaYeRo

hmmm started the game today.

I really like the classic levels, but can't feel the same for the 3D/modern versions. They look awesome, but it's kind of boring.

Only tried 4 levels though. I liked what I played from Colors... is this as good as that one?

Teknoman

Dark Schala said:

Even if I think Colours looks great on Wii (and even better on Dolphin), I'd pay for an HD version because the game is so fun to play through. I played that entire game with a smile on my face.

Couldn't have said it better.

I guess that's another reason why I found the final boss of Generations somewhat underwhelming. I understand the overall premise of the battle: going through different eras while trying to give the player a sense of playing through an HD version of The Doomsday Zone (that's what the debris was for; that's what the homing missiles were for, etc). But at the same time, it didn't feel the same (and it's because of the messy execution regarding gameplay, audio (oh god the audio) and visuals). It didn't have the tension that both the original Doomsday Zone and Terminal Velocity made the player feel, nor did it have great atmosphere.

It's too bad, because they could have pulled off an HD Doomsday Zone-like scenario or a Terminal Velocity-like scenario well if they had put the time into it.

They really should've run with the time/space aspect of things for the background. I havent reached the final boss, but there really should have been a true final boss fight if you snagged all the chaos emeralds...even though they arent that hard to get, some people might pass up rival battles.

Maybe there will be one in the 3DS version since that has real special stages?

I really liked the level design in Generations a lot, how does Colors compare? I may pick it up at some time, but then again SPIKES! SPIKES SPIEKS!
Wisps aren't as repetitive in Colors as they are in Generations.

I implore anyone to jump into Colors. It's probably my favorite Wii game, period. Lighthearted dialogue, great gameplay, and the graphics are pretty good.

Drifting isn't as sharp as it is in Generations, though.

Professor Beef said:
If I was dating a hot girl and she called them coins instead of rings it would be a dealbreaker.

#ForeverAlone

Teknoman

CaVaYeRo said:
hmmm started the game today.

I really like the classic levels, but can't feel the same for the 3D/modern versions. They look awesome, but it's kind of boring.

Only tried 4 levels though. I liked what I played from Colors... is this as good as that one?

By 4 levels, do you mean 4 different zones, or just challenges?

Teknoman

That Planet Wisp video from Colors made it look immensely better. I guess I SHOULD pick up Colors to play.

You really should. The zones are inventive, the soundtrack is...out of this world, and it marked the first 3D Sonic games with badniks since Sonic Adventure 1.

Sciz

Andrex said:
So Sonic is style over substance?
Sometimes. It dates all the way back to GHZ Act 1's S-tunnel that launched Sonic into a pile of rings in the sky. Good Sonic games are paced on a very large scale, and part of that pacing involves occasionally taking away a bit of the substance to give the player a breather and let him enjoy the series' style unobstructed for a moment.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Professor Beef said:
My boyfriend does this from time-to-time. Then I remember that the only Sonic games he's played were Sonic 1-3 and that he was more of a Mario fan growing up, even though he had a Master System, a Genesis and a Sega CD. *shrug* Je ne sais pas. He meets all of my criteria for what I look for in a guy, so I can't be *too* picky. :lol

Teknoman said:
They really should've run with the time/space aspect of things for the background. I havent reached the final boss, but there really should have been a true final boss fight if you snagged all the chaos emeralds...even though they arent that hard to get, some people might pass up rival battles.

Maybe there will be one in the 3DS version since that has real special stages?
You actually do have to get all the Chaos Emeralds in order to unlock the final boss, so you have to finish the rival battles.

I wonder how the 3DS version is going to work now, since it's clear that you have to get the emeralds from the special stages (which appear to be optional at the moment?). It's been delayed, so I can only hope that it doesn't feel as rushed.

spindashing said:
If I was dating a hot girl and she called them coins instead of rings it would be a dealbreaker.

#ForeverAlone
If I dated a girl who liked the older Sonic games, and if we eventually got hitched, I think for a laugh I would give her a ring and call it a coin.

#whatanerd

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SonicMegaDrive said:
I love when people call the rings 'coins'. Seriously.

It shows they aren't bat-shit insane Sonic freaks. I like that in a person.

I do it sometimes too.

Will have to be more careful when I post in threads with these crazies... >.>

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Professor Beef said:
If I dated a girl who liked the older Sonic games, and if we eventually got hitched, I think for a laugh I would give her a ring and call it a coin.

#whatanerd
lol, my boyfriend did this when he gave me a ring for our anniversary a few years ago. I thought it was pretty hilarious.

Too bad he isn't a coin collector, otherwise I'd give him a set of "rings".

Teknoman said:
You really should. The zones are inventive, the soundtrack is...out of this world, and it marked the first 3D Sonic games with badniks since Sonic Adventure 1.

The easiest way to sell Colors: They put water levels in a Sonic game, and made them fun.

Top Bottom