• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Teknoman

SonicMegaDrive said:
I love when people call the rings 'coins'. Seriously.

It shows they aren't bat-shit insane Sonic freaks. I like that in a person.

Or that they cant recognize the different between a ring and a coin :p. Try to buy a coke with some rings and see how far that gets ya.

Kulock said:
The easiest way to sell Colors: They put water levels in a Sonic game, and made them fun.
hate how some levels in generations have water for modern sonic that will kill you instead of being something you can spring or jump out of, city escape has a few bottomless water pits which could have just been gutters with some springs in them. Honestly I have died 95% of the time from pits then actual badniks and robots.

maybe next game, but yes colours did water really well.

AniHawk

Kulock said:
The easiest way to sell Colors: They put water levels in a Sonic game, and made them fun.

i'm sad the modern levels of generations weren't like colors. would have further separated modern sonic and classic sonic.

TheOGB

Banned
Teknoman said:
Or that they cant recognize the different between a ring and a coin :p. Try to buy a coke with some rings and see how far that gets ya.
I did that with my wedding ring and was swiftly divorced

I have never been married

Let me in

Diablohead said:
hate how some levels in generations have water for modern sonic that will kill you instead of being something you can spring or jump out of ...
Or how about water actually constitutes part of the level? An underwater section could have been part of the low path of Seaside Hill, for example.

TheOGB

Banned
Let me in said:
Or how about water actually constitutes part of the level? An underwater section could have been part of the low path of Seaside Hill, for example.
It... did, in Generations. Same with Chemical Plant.

Unless you mean in 3D, in which case I say it's better this way with underwater sections being 2D only.

Shit! This second to last boss battle is driving me crazy. No matter how much I boost after jumping off the grind rail I can never get close enough to damage him. I have to do the wall jump segment over and over. About ready to toss this game! Ugh.

edit: lol, just beat it! Hahah. Game seems to punish you for boosting too much on this boss fight.

Really? REALLY? These last two bosses are the worst.

"Hold X"

.....?

Go to hell whoever designed this. There's nothing from the rest of the game that gives you any indication as to what to do here.

So I was looking around Youtube and I came across comparison videos of Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast & Gamecube. How did they manage to cock up the lighting so much on the Gamecube release?

Bums me out that I don't have my Dreamcast disc anymore...well, I have a Japanese disc anyway, but that doesn't really do me a whole lot of good on a North American system.

AbsoluteZero said:
So I was looking around Youtube and I came across comparison videos of Sonic Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast & Gamecube. How did they manage to cock up the lighting so much on the Gamecube release?

Bums me out that I don't have my Dreamcast disc anymore...well, I have a Japanese disc anyway, but that doesn't really do me a whole lot of good on a North American system.

Have a link? It'd be pretty interesting to see since I've never noted a difference looking at one or the other by themselves.

AbsoluteZero said:

Probably has to do with some kind of native hardware feature the Dreamcast supported that the Gamecube doesn't. That was still back when game consoles weren't just PC parts in a box; it's not like there was a universal graphics tech that worked identically across all hardware.

Think of it like how the SNES supported Mode 7 but the Genesis didn't. As I recall, the Dreamcast supported this thing called "modifier volumes" for lighting, which is where the cel shading in Jet Set Radio was born - by setting the "modifier volume" to zero, lighting was rendered cartoon style, with no need for the shaders typically used to render that effect these days. If you're emulating the Dreamcast with NullDC, you can actually turn the "modifier volumes" feature off and see Jet Set Radio with regular polygon lighting.

The Gamecube probably didn't support that hardware feature, so they had to come up with a substitute.

I've seen screenshot comparisons of Skies of Arcadia DC vs. GC with a similar sort of end result (Dreamcast lighting looks better).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So... two news items to share.

Apparently Sonic made an appearance during the E3 bit of the Simpsons today, which makes... three episodes of the Simpsons now?

juaf87.jpg

The other two:

58tvm.jpg

(from that stupid Sadgasm episode)

YxG8s.jpg

(Try N Save)

And the second news item is that Sonic Generations 3DS broke street date in Spain (at least, an isolated case anyway).

Depending on where you live, we’re about a week to a week and a half away from the launch of Sonic Generations on 3DS. But Spanish website Sonic Paradise relayed news over the weekend from another website, elotrolado.net, where a user claimed the game could be bought at a local GAME store, a major European retailer.

The store where the SNAFU look place occurred in Spain’s capital, Madrid, at the Centro Comercial Plenilunio. User al2 saw the game on sale for €49.90, and was able to easily purchase the game.

205pmit.jpg
For reference, Sonic Generations 3DS is supposed to be out November 22, 2011 in North America and 25 November 2011 in Europe.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just played the demo and I have to say I hate the classic sonic parts. It's too hard to tell enemies and platforms apart due to the speed of the game and the colors blending. I just can't handle all of the colors it's sending. I could oddly handle the newer Sonic level though.

Dark Schala said:
The other two:

58tvm.jpg

(from that stupid Sadgasm episode)

YxG8s.jpg

(Try N Save)
Why did you have to go and remind me of that damn Sadgasm episode? At least the Try N Save episode cancels it out in terms of quality.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to work on my putting.

Mistle

I thought the 3DS version was delayed until next year... i guess that was Rayman?

I was hoping they'd have time to fix up some of the kinks but I guess not. No 3D sections in modern Sonic is a deal breaker for me.

kayos90 said:
Just played the demo and I have to say I hate the classic sonic parts. It's too hard to tell enemies and platforms apart due to the speed of the game and the colors blending. I just can't handle all of the colors it's sending. I could oddly handle the newer Sonic level though.
It's actually a lot easier in the other levels to tell the enemies apart from the backdrop, if it's any consolation.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Professor Beef said:
Why did you have to go and remind me of that damn Sadgasm episode? At least the Try N Save episode cancels it out in terms of quality.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to work on my putting.
Hey, I have bad memories of that episode when I think of Sonic in combination with The Simpsons too, catfische?
Seriously. I dislike that episode with a passion.

Don't forget to use a proper swing force! I suggest "feather touch".

I just have to quote it now while we're on the topic:
Luigi: Go ahead-a, Bart, take-a the Bonestorm.
Mario: The store, she's so rich. She'll-a never notice.
Donkey Kong: Duh, it's the company's fault for making you want it so much.
Lee Carvallo: Don't do it, son. How's that game going to help your putting?
Sonic: Just take it! Take it, take it, take it, take it, take it. Take it!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mistle said:
I thought the 3DS version was delayed until next year... i guess that was Rayman?

I was hoping they'd have time to fix up some of the kinks but I guess not. No 3D sections in modern Sonic is a deal breaker for me.
I think that issue of Nintendo Power which had the date as 2012 or something like that was completed prior to SEGA giving us an official date of release. Amazon.com has the US date back at November 22 now.

AUS release date is apparently 24 November 2011.

Edit: Oh darn, double-post. :/

Dark Schala said:
Hey, I have bad memories of that episode when I think of Sonic in combination with The Simpsons too, catfische?
Seriously. I dislike that episode with a passion.

Don't forget to use a proper swing force! I suggest "feather touch".
Too late, I already used POWER DRIVE and I somehow overshot into the parking lot.

Mistle

Dark Schala said:
AUS release date is apparently 24 November 2011.
OT question: are you Australian or just aware that I am? lol

Big day, the 24th.. Zelda, Mario and Sonic. Seriously that's like my childhood all coming out on the same day. I'll be skipping Sonic for now, and perhaps pick it up at a later date if the impressions aren't too bad and there's a gap in my desperate 3DS library.

Professor Beef said:
Too late, I already used POWER DRIVE and I somehow overshot into the parking lot.
Would you like to play again?
You have selected "no"

and now I have the Camp Granada scene stuck in my head

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mistle said:
OT question: are you Australian or just aware that I am? lol

Big day, the 24th.. Zelda, Mario and Sonic. Seriously that's like my childhood all coming out on the same day. I'll be skipping Sonic for now, and perhaps pick it up at a later date if the impressions aren't too bad and there's a gap in my desperate 3DS library.
I think you mentioned it off-hand in Zelda threads a few times...? I can't remember honestly.

I live in Canada. I'm just up at this ridiculous hour studying. How I remember stuff that doesn't seem to matter in school well enough that it takes a few instances of seeing it, but I don't manage to remember stuff for uni all that well without days of prep is amazing. -_-

Nocturnowl said:
Would you like to play again?
You have selected "no"

and now I have the Camp Granada scene stuck in my head
Hello, Muddah,
Hello, Faddah.
Here I am at
Camp Granada.

Finalow

i can't unlock this achievement.
Action Hero 10
Perform all of Sonic's moves in Act 2.
Story-related, Can not be missed.
You need to perform 3 of Sonic's Move. The 3 Moves are the stomp, the lightspeed dash and the wall jump.
You can do the stomp move any time during act 2.
The first time you can use the lightspeed dash is in Speed Highway Act 2.
The first time you can do the wall jump is in Green Hill Zone Act 2, but if you miss or can't find then you can do it in, Seaside Hill Act 2.
To perform the stomp move hit - to jump and while in the air - to stomp.
To perform the lightspeed dash hit - while there is a line of rings in front of you.
To perform the wall jump, you need a wall panel to be on the wall (obliviously) and hit - to jump on the wall panel and hit - again to jump off it.

i've done everything, why? And i finished the game yesterday.

Mistle

Dark Schala said:
I think you mentioned it off-hand in Zelda threads a few times...? I can't remember honestly.
Ah yep, makes sense. I tend to mention it a lot when it comes to release dates/timezones/etc to avoid confusion, haha

Anyway, my Sky Sanctuary Act 2 speed run is progressing... trying to crack the top 10. I can do each part of the level almost perfectly, but doing it all at once is proving to be harder than I thought.

AbsoluteZero said:

There was that weird period when Sega went 3rd party but still supported the Dreamcast where most everything on the Dreamcast still looked better than what was then currently being pushed on the ps2 or GC. Maybe the development tools weren't up the snuff? I wish the Dreamcast somehow was a major player during that generation. I would have loved to see what developer could have done on that system.

JonCha said:
I would loved to have:

1) Been at GAF when Sonic was revealed for Brawl
2) Been at Nintendo when they were developing him for the game

I remember #1 like it was yesterday.

It literally crashed GAF, so yeah. The Brawl thread was pretty awesome, but I don't know who from the 'big posters' list in that thread still posts at GAF. All I can think of are Firestorm and ShockingAlberto.

Sciz

SuperAngelo64 said:
I remember #1 like it was yesterday.

It literally crashed GAF, so yeah. The Brawl thread was pretty awesome, but I don't know who from the 'big posters' list in that thread still posts at GAF. All I can think of are Firestorm and ShockingAlberto.
I made occasional appearances, and Crushed is still floating around if you know where to look.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Best decision Sega made with this game was making a PC version. That's on Steam.

Though why they tried to keep it under wraps for so long, despite strong evidence all long, is beyond me.

Andrex said:
Best decision Sega made with this game was making a PC version. That's on Steam.

Though why they tried to keep it under wraps for so long, despite strong evidence all long, is beyond me.
I would think that they wanted console orders to be strong, but it is still boggling.

Those mods are awesome, and they're just getting started.

SuperAngelo64 said:
It's been awhile since I've played Brawl, and I forgot how perfectly represented Sonic was in that game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKhAj56tiuI&feature=related

A+, Nintendo.

Except they specifically designed Sonic's unlock criteria so that the first time you were likely to unlock him was the very, very end of Subspace Emissary. Literally the first opportunity the game gives you to play him in SSE is the final boss.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Kulock said:

While I wish Sonic X-Treme had actually become a retail product...

No one questioned that this character's last name was Boobowski?

Jesus, this is where it all started.

Berordn

Kulock said:
Except they specifically designed Sonic's unlock criteria so that the first time you were likely to unlock him was the very, very end of Subspace Emissary. Literally the first opportunity the game gives you to play him in SSE is the final boss.
Or beating Classic mode with 10 characters, which I ended up doing and stumbling on him by accident since SSE was such a bore. It's pretty obvious that he was a last minute addition there, though.

Wow, the PC-DVD version is ridiculously cheap in the uk. £12-15 pounds. Don't even need to wait for bargain-bin.

Does anyone know if there's any internet-flavoured drm in this edition? I don't buy any games that require any kind(even one-shot) of internet activation just to play single player.

Top Bottom