• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Berordn said:
Or beating Classic mode with 10 characters, which I ended up doing and stumbling on him by accident since SSE was such a bore. It's pretty obvious that he was a last minute addition there, though.

I don't think he was. I think they wanted him to be the final big surprise, that they would deny up until the game was on store shelves. When they had to delay the game significantly in October, they had to show off something big to save face, and that became Sonic, screwing over their planned surprise, just leaving people to wonder why he was one of the last characters to unlock.

I've heard Sakurai's story. Coupled with his comments about how no one else supposedly asked to have their characters included in Brawl, I don't exactly believe him.

MechaX

Even now that I'm finally getting around to complete Sonic Colors, I'm still having a hard time trying to decide if Generations or Colors is better. To Generations' advantage, there are some pretty good stages for both classic and modern (especially looking at Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Speed Highway, and Sky Sanctuary. And despite how classic Crisis City wasn't really all that good, modern Crisis City was at least far superior to how the level was in... that game...

But I felt like the last 1/3rd of the game just left such a shitty taste in my mouth. Planet Wisp was offensive in both classic and modern versions (I still don't understand how they fucked up the level that badly. And they could have at least used more Wisp powers than two of the worst powers in the game). The Sonic Heroes and Unleashed level didn't really do much for me. And that last boss... god fucking damnit, SEGA. The final boss is not only shitty to play, but it doesn't even actually have good music! (I was just about to blast the final boss version of Endless Possibilities or Reach for the Stars on that boss to be honest)

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
morningbus said:
While I wish Sonic X-Treme had actually become a retail product...

No one questioned that this character's last name was Boobowski?

Jesus, this is where it all started.

For a character with a name related to tits, she has a remarkably flat chest

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Combichristoffersen said:
For a character with a name related to tits, she has a remarkably flat chest

Maybe she lost them in a skiing accident.

Boob-ow-ski.

I am the smartest man alive.

MechaX said:
Even now that I'm finally getting around to complete Sonic Colors, I'm still having a hard time trying to decide if Generations or Colors is better. To Generations' advantage, there are some pretty good stages for both classic and modern (especially looking at Green Hill, Chemical Plant, Speed Highway, and Sky Sanctuary. And despite how classic Crisis City wasn't really all that good, modern Crisis City was at least far superior to how the level was in... that game...

But I felt like the last 1/3rd of the game just left such a shitty taste in my mouth. Planet Wisp was offensive in both classic and modern versions (I still don't understand how they fucked up the level that badly. And they could have at least used more Wisp powers than two of the worst powers in the game). The Sonic Heroes and Unleashed level didn't really do much for me. And that last boss... god fucking damnit, SEGA. The final boss is not only shitty to play, but it doesn't even actually have good music! (I was just about to blast the final boss version of Endless Possibilities or Reach for the Stars on that boss to be honest)
I kinda liked the Unleashed level, but yea, the earlier stages had better designs than the later ones.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
morningbus said:
Maybe she lost them in a skiing accident.

Boob-ow-ski.

I am the smartest man alive.

You might be onto something here.

She went skiing, fell flat on her chest and slid down the mountainside, causing the friction to eradicate most of her tits, leaving her with two small lumps of fat that she covers with a bandage.

Finalow

what's the shortest thing to do? All rank S, all the red rings or all the challanges?
And i would like to know which abilities i should use, in planet wisp is hard to get a rank S 'cause it's damn long. =|

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
finalozzo said:
what's the shortest thing to do? All rank S, all the red rings or all the challanges?
And i would like to know which abilities i should use, in planet wisp is hard to get a rank S 'cause it's damn long. =|

Planet Wisp isn't much harder than other levels, the time you need to hit is longer than other levels, too. I got just over 6 minutes and got an S-rank.

Finalow

morningbus said:
Planet Wisp isn't much harder than other levels, the time you need to hit is longer than other levels, too. I got just over 6 minutes and got an S-rank.
and what skills should i use? Super sonic doesn't seem so useful.

So I played the game on the PC for the first time at My brothers house.....I must say I was VERY impressed! The game looks MUCH better than the PS3 version, I really wasnt expekting it to look this much better...its seriously time for next gen now, the current consoles are outdated.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic the Hedgehog 1: Omochao Edition. Apparently the creator will give Omochao a voice in a later update.

As noted, this hack is not for everyone, but if you want to give it a shot and avoid Omochao, here’s what triggers his prompts:

- Collecting Rings
- Item Monitors (doubly bad, as each individual item inside will also bring up a message)
- Invincibility Running Out
- Power Sneakers Running Out
- Extra Lives
- Destroying Badniks
- Bouncing on Springs
- Stepping on or Pushing Objects on Buttons
- Getting Hit
- Getting Killed
- Drowning
- Getting Game Over
- Getting Time Over
- Touching Lamp Posts
- Getting the Giant Ring (without a protection shield)
- Finishing the Act (without a protection shield)
- Finishing the Zone (without a protection shield)
- Hitting the Boss (without a protection shield)
- Defeating the Boss (without a protection shield)
- Getting in that Last Hit (without a protection shield)
- Collecting a Chaos Emerald
- Touching a GOAL Sign

And apparently there's a crazy (possibly fake) rumour that Sonic 4 Episode 2's level list was leaked? I don't believe it because... why would that data be in there in the first place if Dimps is still using their own engine and they're not using Christian Whitehead's Sonic CD engine? At least, that's what was happening with Sonic 4: Ep 2 last time I checked...

I think it's false.

Dark Schala said:
And apparently there's a crazy (possibly fake) rumour that Sonic 4 Episode 2's level list was leaked? I don't believe it because... why would that data be in there in the first place if Dimps is still using their own engine and they're not using Christian Whitehead's Sonic CD engine? At least, that's what was happening with Sonic 4: Ep 2 last time I checked...

I think it's false.

The names are also pretty awful. I mean that hasn't stopped rumors from being real before, but they sound vaguely Game Gear-ish. Coupled with the "Tails kidnapped" plot mirroring S2GG, that really looks way too much like a fan making something up. But hey, maybe that's why the GG got hardly any nods in Generations, because they were already planning to do it with Episode 2.

Can't say I believe it, though.

ultron87

That final boss was literally one of the worst things I've ever participated in in a videogame.

Thankfully the credits medley + footage from all the games made it better.

ultron87 said:
That final boss was literally one of the worst things I've ever participated in in a videogame.

It was lame, it was confusing, but I've played far worse. Hell, it could've actually have been "difficult," now that would've been a pain. As it is, unless you're going for the achievement, you can pretty much just boost through the whole thing and eventually kill it.

Throavium

Not understanding why they didn't bring back the Metal Sonic boss fight in Sky Sanctuary.

I don't think Sega realizes that Spring Yard Zone in Sonic Generations would have been something serious.

Throavium said:
Not understanding why they didn't bring back the Metal Sonic boss fight in Sky Sanctuary.

I don't think Sega realizes that Spring Yard Zone in Sonic Generations would have been something serious.

That's because it's not Spring Yard Zone, it's Stardust Speedway

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Throavium said:
Probably because they committed to including something from Sonic CD, and thought the Metal Sonic fight from there would have been a better fit. Plus Mecha vs Metal, they're different, etc.

Kulock said:
The names are also pretty awful. I mean that hasn't stopped rumors from being real before, but they sound vaguely Game Gear-ish. Coupled with the "Tails kidnapped" plot mirroring S2GG, that really looks way too much like a fan making something up. But hey, maybe that's why the GG got hardly any nods in Generations, because they were already planning to do it with Episode 2.

Can't say I believe it, though.
Yeah, that's it. That's what the names sounded like. (Even then, why would they pick something like Sonic 2 GG to base it off of when they could pick Triple Trouble? Unless they're saving it for a theoretical Sonic 4: Episode 3. :/ ). I doubt the rumour is true regardless.

It would be great if they used the new Sonic CD engine for Sonic 4: Ep 2, but I don't see it happening right now.

udivision

Dark Schala said:
(from that stupid Sadgasm episode)
I've heard that episode mentioned a lot lately. I'm trying to figure out what it's about by checking wikipedia, but that's not it's actualy name. does anyone know what it is?

qq more

Dark Schala said:

I think it's false.
I kind of like the level names, they're kind of weird but cool at the same time. Only thing I don't like about the level names is that they overuse the letter "M".

Warp Mountain
Molten Lake
Manic Jungle
Metal Matrix

But yeah, I agree that it's fake. It does not make sense to have a level list for Episode 2 in a game that won't even share the engine.

qq more

CecilMcW00t said:
Could you imagine how irritating this game would be if Omochao couldn't be disabled? *shivers*
Yeah, I nearly had a hard time enjoying the demo due to that. Seriously SEGA, just because we're celebrating 20 years of the franchise doesn't mean you have to include shit no one obviously liked the first time.

PKrockin

I ended up renting this game and I really liked it. Some of the controls/physics weren't quite perfect, I still wish the framerate was a solid 60, and some of the later levels and the final boss were underwhelming, but all in all it was a pretty enjoyable ride.

Looking forward to playing the rest of the levels on the 3DS with no TV input lag. Thinking about picking up Colors at some point too, since playing as modern Sonic was a lot more fun than I expected.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
branny said:
Omg, what an interesting way to approach the game.
AHAHA I lost it at the 10 rings notification
I lost it when the 1-up fanfare just kept getting higher and higher in pitch every time Omochao had something to say in addition to what you mentioned. I like how Spring Yard Zone has a section where you get a shield preventing Omochao from coming after you.

In reality, Omochao isn't that annoying... though I didn't leave him on while going through Generations, so I don't know how bad it got.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
PKrockin said:
I didn't find him that annoying. Then again I didn't know about some of Sonic's newer moves and I didn't replay levels a lot.
Yeah, in that way, Omochao is a good thing for new players if they're not used to using Modern Sonic's moveset. You can throw him around in Sonic Adventure 2 if you find him too annoying, I guess?

PKrockin said:
Thinking about picking up Colors at some point too, since playing as modern Sonic was a lot more fun than I expected.
You probably should.

Throavium said:
Because it wasn't Metal Sonic and they didn't want to confuse people by having two robot Sonics in the game, especially when one of them only appeared in one game.

PKrockin

Dark Schala said:
Yeah, in that way, Omochao is a good thing for new players if they're not used to using Modern Sonic's moveset. You can throw him around in Sonic Adventure 2 if you find him too annoying, I guess?

You could shoot him with the vulcan cannon in SA2. That was too kind on the developers' part.

Throavium

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Because it wasn't Metal Sonic and they didn't want to confuse people by having two robot Sonics in the game, especially when one of them only appeared in one game.
That makes complete sense actually, good point. Even though the Sonic 3 Metal Sonic looks a lot different it definitely would have overflowed the game and made things a bit needlessly confusing.

Can Sega make a sequel to this game?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I doubt anyone cares anymore since the game's been out for, like, two weeks... but GameSpot posted their review on the 11th, apparently? I only see reviews for the PS3 and X360 versions.

Gamespot - 8.0

The Good: Blends old and new Sonic elements very well, Dazzling stage designs, Lots of unlockables, High-speed action.

The Bad: Switching between Sonics can be confusing.
The controls can feel a tad clunky when shifting between the old and new characters, and it's easy to lose track of what set of abilities you're working with during the common 2D stretches in each act. That's something that you get used to with time, though. There might be moments when you jolt to a dead stop or struggle through some of the platforming sections, but the challenge isn't so steep that you can't overcome the game's tougher areas with a little practice.

Mixing the best elements from old and new Sonic games together into a seamless experience works out amazingly well. It's clear the Sonic team went above and beyond this time around to spit shine this game into a thing of beauty. It may have missed a few warts here and there, but Sonic Generations doesn't skimp on the speed or the fun.

Fuck "Can't Touch This." My thumb hurts from constantly holding down boost. There's so many BAD things about that boss fight, that aren't a problem if you just want to get through it. Like how the game locks you to Y axis if Eggman's over in 2D until you boost again, and still likes to lock you off and on anyway. Or how completely awful the camera is at showing you things in 2D mode (meaning you need to just avoid it except to dodge the laser). Or how about how close garbage fades in, I've had it pretty much appear right in front of my face. Boy, that didn't make me feel cheated. And how about all that time you're waiting for Time Eater to finish some stupidly-long spinning animation, and while you're waiting dead-center on him, or just after you shattered him, a piece goes through him in the middle and hits you. Bye Can't Touch This!

It would be reasonable if the rubble didn't count, but it clearly does. I've beaten it too many times otherwise.

AniHawk

Kulock said:
Fuck "Can't Touch This." My thumb hurts from constantly holding down boost. There's so many BAD things about that boss fight, that aren't a problem if you just want to get through it. Like how the game locks you to Y axis if Eggman's over in 2D until you boost again, and still likes to lock you off and on anyway. Or how completely awful the camera is at showing you things in 2D mode (meaning you need to just avoid it except to dodge the laser). Or how about how close garbage fades in, I've had it pretty much appear right in front of my face. Boy, that didn't make me feel cheated. And how about all that time you're waiting for Time Eater to finish some stupidly-long spinning animation, and while you're waiting dead-center on him, or just after you shattered him, a piece goes through him in the middle and hits you. Bye Can't Touch This!

It would be reasonable if the rubble didn't count, but it clearly does. I've beaten it too many times otherwise.

i almost would have preferred the trophy/achievement be something like, s-rank all boss fights, but that sure as fuck wasn't happening with egg dragoon.

So I watch a Youtube video (didn't learn anything past it's safe to just constantly shoot out Classic Sonic, instead of being more sparing with him), took a short break, bought a bunch of lives, went back and got it on my first try. I had something stupid like 230 rings at the end.

That boss is so flakey, though. Sometimes I just randomly bounced off his core, regardless of whether or not Classic Sonic was there. At one point I somehow managed to get in FRONT of the boss, which very briefly flipped the camera before I dropped back.

At least I know I got it before they potentially "fix" it later on. At least I hope they fix it.

AniHawk said:
i almost would have preferred the trophy/achievement be something like, s-rank all boss fights, but that sure as fuck wasn't happening with egg dragoon.

S-Ranking him even on Hard's not that tough, it's just about learning when he's attackable and sometimes lucking out a little. He has some weird moments where you can attack him for like an instant, like right after it switches from 3D to 2D, but you have almost no time to do it. (Sonic's done some weird things trying to homing attack chase after him.)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What's up with Egg Dragoon? I've S-ranked him on both difficulties on my first try (obviously restarting a bit to learn what he's doing, but not all too much, maybe 8-10 times) and didn't experience any problems. S-ranking the last boss also was really easy, whereas going through without being hit was a bit annoying because of a lack of proper feedback when being hit.

MAtgS

Throavium said:
Mecha Sonic actually. & I swear Sega's completely forgot they had 2 Sonic bots (& 2 Knuckles bots, a sorta Tails bot...).

Top Bottom