• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Taxman refutes the silly rumour:

UPDATE: If you haven’t checked out the comments, you haven’t seen RSDK creator Christian Whitehead flatly deny any truth to the information presented below.

“This is not real at all,” Whitehead said.

As he made the Sonic CD re-release from the ground up, we’re inclined to believe him. For now, the original story follows, but pending an angry mob at the SSMB demanding answers of the original source, this story will likely evaporate later today.
The Taxman said:
Sorry Kids,

This is not real at all.

Those Java/XML files only serve to prove that this is a hoax.

Sonic CD’s game content has been created with the RSDK, not Java. If this was a legitimate rip of the game, the file structure would be quite different.
Figured.

JonCha

Yeah, it seemed like a bust. I fully expect them to use the the model they started with (which alone, I don't care about).

Yoshi said:
What's up with Egg Dragoon? I've S-ranked him on both difficulties on my first try (obviously restarting a bit to learn what he's doing, but not all too much, maybe 8-10 times) and didn't experience any problems. S-ranking the last boss also was really easy, whereas going through without being hit was a bit annoying because of a lack of proper feedback when being hit.

Unless you spend a huge amount of time learning to capitalize on the couple of split second moments you have to attack him before he dodges out of the way, Egg Dragoon is the kind of boss that requires a LOT of waiting around before he makes himself vulnerable. Egg Dragoon's offensive assault isn't even particularly hard to dodge once you figure it out, it just gets super super super tedious.

Zomba13

Fucking 30 second trial.

GHZ is bugged or some shit. I've gotten much further than my friend has yet it still says he has more pointys than me.

I took the top path, I got past the two bees and just before the wooden twirly bit and my friend is at the bottom path just before a red spring that pushes you back below the swinging bits and wood. Really annoying. It's like after a point the points thing just goes up really slowly.

Firestorm

Rooftop Run was beautiful @_@ Made me want to go back and finish Sonic Unleashed but ugh hub world and werehog...

Also Classic Planet Wisp's beginning gave me strong Hilltop Zone vibe. I kinda wanna try it with that music.

Phonomezer said:
How on Earth is switching between the Sonics confusing AT ALL?

Anyone?

No?

Didn't think so.
I've had the occasional, though increasingly fewer, situations where I'd go "Wait, why didn't I use a homing attack" only to realize I'm playing Classic.

Mistle

Alright, just entered the top 10 (no.7) for Sky Sanctuary Act 2! 1:48:84. And I'm sure I can shave off even more time..

How do I make it show my region? Currently instead of a flag it's just a generic Sonic graphic.

vall03

just got to the Modern Era stages and started off with Modern Sonic first

Crisis City - I fucking hate this stage, was it like this in Sonic 06?
Rooftop Run - This feels like Rooftop Run Act 3, I like it!
Planet Wisp - How the hell did they screw this up?!

Diablohead said:
time attack keeps kicking me out saying it disconnected now, can't select any stages to time trial :(

Having just tried to check my time trial rankings, I'm getting that too. "Lost connection to Xbox Live. Returning to TITLE SCREEN." or some such nonsense.

I can access 30 Second Trials for the most part, but sometimes the scores don't load (I cannot view Modern GHZ currently, for example).

Finalow

800/1000.
right now i don't want to finish all the challanges or to get all the red rings. then, for me, ''can't touch this'' is impossibile. =| I can't even arrive at phase 3.

finalozzo said:
800/1000.
right now i don't want to finish all the challanges or to get all the red rings. then, for me, ''can't touch this'' is impossibile. =| I can't even arrive at phase 3.
so you didn't beat the game, then ?

RobbieNick

Zomba13 said:
Fucking 30 second trial.

GHZ is bugged or some shit. I've gotten much further than my friend has yet it still says he has more pointys than me.

I took the top path, I got past the two bees and just before the wooden twirly bit and my friend is at the bottom path just before a red spring that pushes you back below the swinging bits and wood. Really annoying. It's like after a point the points thing just goes up really slowly.

The 30 sec trial is different from a speed run in which is only records how long and far you've run. Not how close you are to the goal. I have a freind who has more points than me in GHZ and he's doing the bottom run.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sciz said:
Pfft. Try on a 1:10 Chemical Plant for size.

How people pull off runs like either of these videos is beyond me.
They're machines. That probably takes so many hours of practice to get that good. :/ I wish I had that much time to spare.

Speaking of which...

t67yic.jpg

I guess I have some reading to do. (And I have the two new Sailor Moon manga that came out today to contend with as well.)

Tizoc

Dark Schala said:
They're machines. That probably takes so many hours of practice to get that good. :/ I wish I had that much time to spare.

Speaking of which...

t67yic.jpg

I guess I have some reading to do. (And I have the two new Sailor Moon manga that came out today to contend with as well.)
OH SHI: new issue is out this week?! HYPE!
When's the next Sonic universe? Next week?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tizoc said:
OH SHI: new issue is out this week?! HYPE!
When's the next Sonic universe? Next week?
Issue 33 is out. Picking that up after class tonight~ (cuz I didn't last time; pretty sure the place I'm going to go to will have stacks of them because it seems like no one reads them around here).

34 should be out next week.

FreeMufasa

Love this game to death. Definately worth trading in Skyrim for.

I'm in a bit of a Sonic frenzy so i'll think i'll replay Colours again. Once i'm done with both i'll go back through the day time stages in Unleashed. The new Sonic VA has definately grown on me. Hated it when I heard it during a Colours trailer.

MIMIC

Banned
Whoa, there's a camera problem modern Crisis City (apt name, now that I think of it). It got stuck in one position and never changed. Couldn't see where I was going at all >_<

MIMIC

Banned
This shit keeps happening. How am I supposed to even finish the level???

EDIT: Hmmmm...seems to happen only after I take a certain route.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hmmm... Kyle Hebert, as some of you may know, is the new voice of Big the Cat. Apparently he did some lines for Sonic Generations, but as we know, Big never made an appearance in Generations at all. At least the HD version.

Hebert’s name was in the credit roll for Sonic Generations but the voice–and, for the most part, the lumbering furball himself–was absent. Hebert says he was called in to do voice lines, but it would appear they never made it in the final product:

[Hebert]: "Fans have caught my name in the credits for “SONIC: GENERATIONS”. I did voice Big the Cat, however, it looks like he was dropped from the final release. Bummage!"

While there remains an outside chance the cat could have a Big-ger presence via DLC (pardon the pun,) one has to wonder if extensive data mining of the game could turn up those lost lines.
Source

I wonder if Big will be in the 3DS version somehow, then?

qq more

Dark Schala said:

Speaking of which...

t67yic.jpg

Ah, thanks for reminding me that I should get those Mega Man comics sometime.

By the way, I was thinking of making an IRC chat for SonicGAF sometime, is anyone interested?

Phonomezer said:
How on Earth is switching between the Sonics confusing AT ALL?

Anyone?

No?

Didn't think so.

Yeah, it's a poorly written review. An 8.0 seems a little low for all the praise the game got in the text. It kind of reminds me of GT's review of Skyward Sword, except it's the opposite situation.

qq more

Dark Schala said:
And apparently there's a crazy (possibly fake) rumour that Sonic 4 Episode 2's level list was leaked? I don't believe it because... why would that data be in there in the first place if Dimps is still using their own engine and they're not using Christian Whitehead's Sonic CD engine? At least, that's what was happening with Sonic 4: Ep 2 last time I checked...

I think it's false.
I'd like to note that the article is gone now. lol TSSZ

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
vall03 said:
Crisis City - I fucking hate this stage, was it like this in Sonic 06?

The first time I played this stage as modern Sonic I fell down a pit. What a nice way to start off a stage from the worst Sonic game ever.

qq more

Showmeyamoves said:
The first time I played this stage as modern Sonic I fell down a pit. What a nice way to start off a stage from the worst Sonic game ever.
I seriously blame that dickish ring placement, why is it so close to the edge????

scitek

Here's some 1080p screens I took from the PC version with super-sampling AA enabled and apparently no motion blur. Loving it, by the way. Twice the framerate of the 360 version is a world of difference.

DeVeAn

Dark Schala said:

Speaking of which...

t67yic.jpg

Did Archie start up the Super specials again? Whats that one one the right?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
DeVeAn said:
Did Archie start up the Super specials again? Whats that one one the right?
Yeah, it's a new Super Special, but it's way different from the old ones. These don't have original stories like the old ones did (except for Sonic Firsts, but that was an exception to the rule, I guess). They have five issues (Sonic Genesis Part 1, Sonic 160, 161, 199 and 200) and then they have a few features like profiles, the comic universe timeline (part 1) and an interview with Ian Flynn.

So it's kind of worth the investment for me because I'm catching up on the comics.

qq more said:
By the way, I was thinking of making an IRC chat for SonicGAF sometime, is anyone interested?
Same as Sciz; as much as I'd like to, they distract me, lol.

I know the idea of a Sonic Community thread has been brought up before, but sometimes I don't think it's a good idea... for obvious reasons, and also because Sonic discussion is usually initiated because of new game developments or something.

shaowebb

Friend gifted me this game on Steam and I absolutely love it. Its really good. A bit better than Colors actually given how many things you can mess around and collect. (everyone should own both really)

That said though Sega needs to patch the PC version HARD. Escape from the City stage with Modern Sonic is broke as hell, and you can screw up the camera on Chemical plant with Modern Sonic by going for the hook instead of the rail near the end of the level.
City Escape though...man.

Okay for starters you can grind a corner into grinding on the sky. For some reason during the GUN truck chase the controls shift you into the left quick step non-stop. I thought it was the controller, but once I disabled all triggers and played it again it was still there so its the game. Finally, the level CRASHES upon the wreck of the GUN truck. No shit.

Here's a vid of the whole thing a friend took on his phone.

Skip to 3:30 if you just want to see the world break and the game freeze

This glitch crashes my whole system. I've cleared the cache, updated the drivers, updated the game, validated the files, yadda yadda yadda. Yeah I did the usual to no avail. Level is broke on Radeon HD 6800 series cards.

I'm playing the rest of this game though because its really friggin good when it works, but Sega needs to patch this.

PKrockin

Showmeyamoves said:
Same here. Except I jumped into that pit three or four times in a row. I don't learn very fast.

The ring placement is definitely the problem. There's not enough time to collect all the rings at full speed and jump high enough to homing attack the enemies.

Top Bottom