• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This game needs more metal sonic because metal sonic is a G. Replace silver sonic and shadow sonic with metal sonic because fuck the world.
Did you play Sonic Heroes by any chance? Ehhh... I'd take Shadow and Silver battles over Metal Madness and Metal Overlord.

I genuinely dislike Neo Metal Sonic's design. :/

The opening was really good. Felt like a modern version of Windy Valley from Adventure.
I liked some of the stuff in the factory, but its so goddamn long jesus.
Yup. And even if you take the upper paths for both Sonics, it's still so damn long (5-7 minutes is still long, imo; when I did it for the first time, my time was over 10 minutes which was pretty ridiculous... glad I shaved off the time after getting at it and equipping skills since it made the level more bearable).

I'm kinda glad the Colours version didn't turn out like that. Seems like they looked at the concept art at the time and delivered their own interpretation... which included a lot of factory.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But they gave him a pointless cape and elongated him to match the lankier Modern Sonic, I bet the 10 year olds loved him.
Got to chuckle about how upon getting beaten he reverts into classic metal sonic as if it's some kind of downgrade.
Oh yeah. Totally. The kids probably thought it was the best design ever next to Shadow.

n8mAf.png

What a badass. The black cape makes him so cool.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
No.

No.

Mother of fucking God, no.
Yeah... I wouldn't want those battles in Generations at all. :lol

Yikes, Neo Metal sonic is worse than I remember and I replayed heroes recently! You could poke an eye out on his new pointy form, maybe this was his plan for superiority after all spikes are sonic's bane.
And why does he have a studded belt?! and little sleeve things?! and shoulder horns?! I could go on and on.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yikes, Neo Metal sonic is worse than I remember and I replayed heroes recently! You could poke an eye out on his new pointy form, maybe this was his plan for superiority after all spikes are sonic's bane.
And why does he have a studded belt?! and little sleeve things?! and shoulder horns?! I could go on and on.
It's as if Cloud and Sephiroth were moulded together and given a cape. :lol

I really didn't like the characterization given to him towards the end of the game either. At least in Sonic OVA, he graciously accepted his defeat and said there was room for only one Sonic in the world. Also, the fight was great too. In Heroes, he whines about how despite transforming his body, that he can never defeat Sonic, and then Sonic responds that it's because, "WE'RE SONIC HEROES!"

:/

cory.

Banned

TheOGB

Banned
Just played Modern Sonic's Blaze and Rouge missions...

Rouge's... umm... what.

Blaze's mission. Godfuckingdammit. This is why people hated Crisis City in Sonic 06 (and Modern Sonic in general, probably). "Run straight, tap Y right before fire, cool-- OH SHIT I FELL... though a crack in the floor that I couldn't see? The fuck?

Okay, bout halfway done now, making good progress, whoop lemme slow down here and-- did

did that worm just lunge at me, eat me, and then spit me out under the floor?"

I really didn't like the characterization given to him towards the end of the game either. At least in Sonic OVA, he graciously accepted his defeat and said there was room for only one Sonic in the world. Also, the fight was great too. In Heroes, he whines about how despite transforming his body, that he can never defeat Sonic, and then Sonic responds that it's because, "WE'RE SONIC HEROES!"

At least it's not as bad as Tails saying "all's well that ends well" or whatever after THE WORLD WAS DESTROYED in SA1.

They sure showed that creep the real superpower of teamwork! (and that kind of goes for the movie as well, liking Knuckles "Nack/Fang like" hat)

TheOGB

Banned
Fuck Heroes Metal Sonic. OVA Metal is where it's at fo sho

God, it's kinda sad that Crisis City has to have such painful missions after such a great main act (minus the stomping bit IMO)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The composers for the movie were the same who did Sonic CD EU/JP right?
It certainly sounds like it but it seems that they're different...

Sonic OVA sound:
Music Production Director: Junji Fujita
Music: Mitsuhiro Tada Edit: --though now that I think about this, this credit may only be attributed to the theme song Look-A-Like. So maybe someone else might know the answer.

Sonic CD sound:
Sound director: Yukifumi Makino
Music: Naofumi Hataya, Masafumi Ogata

Teknoman

It certainly sounds like it but it seems that they're different...

Sonic OVA sound:
Music Production Director: Junji Fujita
Music: Mitsuhiro Tada

Sonic CD sound:
Sound director: Yukifumi Makino
Music: Naofumi Hataya, Masafumi Ogata

Oh, guess it was just what they thought would best capture the style of the universe then.

Kinda wish it would make a comeback.

All I've ever heard on the subject is that somebody at Studio Pierrot (who produced the Sonic OVA/Movie) did the music.

A shame they never released a soundtrack. Supposedly an unofficial one existed but I think that turned out to be a hoax.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

WOW, that was some horrible voice acting. That's pre 4kids-cast right?

Teknoman

"Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie" was released in America on VHS in 1999 to coincide with the release of Sonic Adventure (infact, according to Wikipedia, it was day and date with SA1).

Whats funny is that both marked the first appearance of the homing attack.

Just to prove beyond a shadow of any doubt, I dug out my old VHS copy I bought with money I got for Christmas 1999:

U5sgR.jpg

Those copyright dates tell no lies. :p

I wish I had it on DVD, apparently it's pretty rare because it was one of those early DVDs before the format took off when the PS2 launched.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I liked it *shrug*
I've heard far worse English dubs in my lifetime too. Didn't think the Sonic OVA one was too bad.

Just to prove beyond a shadow of any doubt, I dug out my old VHS copy I bought with money I got for Christmas 1999:

U5sgR.jpg

Those copyright dates tell no lies. :p

I wish I had it on DVD, apparently it's pretty rare because it was one of those early DVDs before the format took off when the PS2 launched.
Oh hey, my dad bought it for me that Christmas. ^_^

It's somewhere in my closet but I have no VCR to play it on anymore.

Fun fact: A recent discovery over at Sonic Retro would suggest ADV stole the script for their "Sonic: The Movie" dub off the internet and never credited the guy who translated it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fun fact: A recent discovery over at Sonic Retro would suggest ADV stole the script for their "Sonic: The Movie" dub off the internet and never credited the guy who translated it.
That would somewhat explain why the script is somewhat of an accurate representation of the Japanese script. But link?

ADV sometimes took a bit of liberties with some of the other anime they localized over here, so I just figured it was mostly spot-on just because the subject matter dealt with a licensed property that SEGA owned.

What's the general opinion on which was the best VA's the Sonic series has had? Or the worst? (This seems like a better question left for the community thread but eh, as long as we're on the topic..)

That would somewhat explain why the script is somewhat of an accurate representation of the Japanese script. But link?

ADV sometimes took a bit of liberties with some of the other anime they localized over here, so I just figured it was mostly spot-on just because the subject matter dealt with a licensed property that SEGA owned.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=27454

tl;dr - Sonic community oldbie regains access to a super old HDD, posts contents online for people to browse. Included is a translated script for the Sonic OVA made by a Sonic fan years before ADV's dub. Script matches ADV's basically word-for-word.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=27454

tl;dr - Sonic community oldbie regains access to a super old HDD, posts contents online for people to browse. Included is a translated script for the Sonic OVA made by a Sonic fan years before ADV's dub. Script matches ADV's basically word-for-word.
It's almost word-for-word... wow, that's shady. It separates out both episodes too from their original 1996 divisions... (ソニック VS メタル・ソニック and エッグマンランドへむかえ). Well, that kind of lowers my opinion of ADV a little, though it may be the fault of the guy who was credited as the translator on the VHS.

It's really too bad the guy didn't put his name on the files! Guess it was easier to swipe translations from the 'net back then that it is now (obviously). D:

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

Really?

Because I own the DVD. :)

Tuck

Spent a while playing Seaside Hill. I can skip most of the first third of the level, by using the water. But past that, jeez the short cuts are hard. And I always (Always) screw up the 2D section near the end, which messes up my time.

But its a great level. Multiple pathways, some cool shortcuts (Some of which were clearly planned into the level design). It's one of my favorite levels.

Also played some of Speed City. Manage to jump on the helicopter at the beginning pretty consistently now. Great level as well. Some real nice drift sections.

Confession time: I've never actually watched the Sonic OVA the entire way through. Is it worth watching these days?

It's an interesting, if odd, piece of Sonic history. Worth watching for fans of the franchise I would say.

I personally nostalgia pretty hard for it. Thought they captured Sonic's personality perfectly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Confession time: I've never actually watched the Sonic OVA the entire way through. Is it worth watching these days?
Do it! You'll likely like it for the comedy and the action parts. it's my favourite version of Sonic's personality, actually. Whoever wrote the initial Japanese script was pretty spot-on in terms of what i wanted from the character, actually.

Edit: Oh gosh I think i'm a little tipsy.

abasm

Yeah, I'd say so. The animation holds up pretty well, and the story is goofy and charming. It may be nostalgia speaking, but I can't think of any reason to dislike it, as long as you don't take it seriously or something.

Lijik

Do it! You'll likely like it for the comedy and the action parts. it's my favourite version of Sonic's personality, actually. Whoever wrote the initial Japanese script was pretty spot-on in terms of what i wanted from the character, actually.

Edit: Oh gosh I think i'm a little tipsy.

Haha me too
Also Sonic OVA is really good. Ive never seen all of it, I always have to quit to do something else halfway
But its really good, even if you have to relish some of it "ironically"

Okay I'm seeing some crap about Sonic Dimensions on facebook, is this some hoax?
There was a rumor posted about it - Nintendo exclusive (Wii U, 3DS?), Nintendo is co-developing it with Sega, the idea is that Sonic splits into six copies with different attributes who can explore levels differently etc.

Top Bottom