• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Lijik

I hope that rumor is true, It sounds really interesting from a gameplay standpoint.
And i know the colors team can deliever a stellar experience even if its not classic sonic gameplay.

Fuck so can the generations team.
And the daytime unleashed portions were okay, and the were hog portions were fine on paper but not in a fucking sonic game and they totaly under delivered. I would have preferred that was made into its own game with its own character becuase a beat em up/platformer with a stretchy arms protagonist sounds pretty cool.

And Sonic CD HD is such a good port. My favorite sonic game finally getting the TLC it deserved.

And you know what i had some fucking fun with both of dimps latest handheld titles.
Fuck if Sonic 4 wasnt such goddamn shit Id say this series was finally back on the upswing 100%

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
MidnightScott said:
Okay I'm seeing some crap about Sonic Dimensions on facebook, is this some hoax?
there was a thread about it right here a few months ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450145. sounds like a really interesting concept at least

Lijik said:
I would have preferred that was made into its own game with its own character becuase a beat em up/platformer with a stretchy arms protagonist sounds pretty cool.

Fuck if Sonic 4 wasnt such goddamn shit Id say this series was finally back on the upswing 100%
they should bring back ristar

Lijik, you dont sound drunk to me cuz that was pretty cohesive

and you know what, i don't think the dmps portable games are all that bad cuz they can have some fun levels. it's just sonic 4 and tales of the tempest that weren't very good. at least classic sonic's physics were ok in the generations 3ds game.

unfortunately i don't really have high hopes for episode 2 just because episode 1 was so subpar

shit, i don't drink much cuz i'm pretty short. it's my parents' fault, really, since they wanted me to finish the alcohol with them. now my head feels all funny.

there was a thread about it right here a few months ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450145. sounds like a really interesting concept at least

they should bring back ristar

Lijik, you dont sound drunk to me cuz that was pretty cohesive

and you know what, i don't think the dmps portable games are all that bad cuz they can have some fun levels. it's just sonic 4 and tales of the tempest that weren't very good. at least classic sonic's physics were ok in the generations 3ds game.

unfortunately i don't really have high hopes for episode 2 just because episode 1 was so subpar

shit, i don't drink much cuz i'm pretty short. it's my parents' fault, really, since they wanted me to finish the alcohol with them. now my head feels all funny.

Don't go near a 360, you might get tempted to play Sonic 06!

Lijik

Fuck even when Im sober, if a friend brings a 360 over during a gettogether I always suggest we play 06 for laughs. Last time we got up to the first Silver bossfight as sonic before we called it quits. Then we played the bare minimum to complete generations and all of Sonic 1 and 2 to wash the taste out of our mouths
The princess powers in the desert level. So fucking dumb.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
actually now that you mention it my vision does seem kind of weirder than normal...

maybe i should go to sleep

Professor Beef said:
you know, i've always wondered if sonic 06 would be better if drunk...

qq more

So I'm looking into getting a new gaming laptop. (Refused to get desktop laptops, I want to carry my computer with me!) What is a really good gaming laptop for games like Sonic Generations?

Forkball

Don't get a gaming laptop. I know you're skeptical and I'm sure your aching to post your rebuttal, but trust me on this one.

The challenges for the later levels are pretty tough. At least there's a good diversity though instead of the same five challenges for each map.

Lijik

So I'm looking into getting a new gaming laptop. (Refused to get desktop laptops, I want to carry my computer with me!) What is a really good gaming laptop for games like Sonic Generations?

A specific alienware laptop was pimped on an episode of Idle Thumbs but that was either 2009 or 2010 so I dont know how it holds up.
Im sure they're still the way to go though for all at once package.

qq more

A specific alienware laptop was pimped on an episode of Idle Thumbs but that was either 2009 or 2010 so I dont know how it holds up.
Im sure they're still the way to go though for all at once package.

Don't get a gaming laptop. I know you're skeptical and I'm sure your aching to post your rebuttal, but trust me on this one.

The challenges for the later levels are pretty tough. At least there's a good diversity though instead of the same five challenges for each map.

Thanks guys. I think I'll hold out on buying a gaming laptop for a while then (unless there's a really good laptop we're somehow overlooking).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
let's do this sonicgaf

FRP2U.jpg

im skipping all the cutscenes so most of the time im watching the now loading screen which is kinda hypnotic

so this old guy has shoes for sonic to try on. seems suspicious. "lol, i made shoes for you so jump through these hoops, literally."

ok, we're jumping through hoops. how i got a b rank, i will never know because i hate the camera

actually the camera isn't that bad right now because my vision isn't awsome right now

why does sonci have to buy abilities? this is stupid. like didn't he teach these things to himself in generations. clearly sega doesnt know what canon is (i know he only taught himself boost and homing attack, but come on, really?)

i still find it funny that whenever i use light dash for the rings, tails dies.

wave ocean was more bearable too outside of the shitty mach speed section.

branny said:
Haha, you're so lowercase when you're drunk.
apparently i was all giggly earlier too :lol

i dont really think i'd qualify as drunk but i'm pretty sure i'll kick myself later in the morning for using poor syntax and bad punctuation here.

Nabs

There's a gaming laptop thread around here somewhere. I'm sure they'll help you out.
Don't do it.

qq more

I don't really drink but I drank a cup of soda with rum in it. I got lightheaded immediately.

If I ever get drunk though (which is unlikely since I'm not a fan of alcohol), I should play through every terrible game I own and see how that goes. lol

There's a gaming laptop thread around here somewhere. I'm sure they'll help you out.
Don't do it.

Any reason why I shouldn't do it? I'm guessing that laptop gaming is probably complicated as hell.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't really drink but I drank a cup of soda with rum in it. I got lightheaded immediately.

If I ever get drunk though (which is unlikely since I'm not a fan of alcohol), I should play through every terrible game I own and see how that goes. lol
and this is why i don't really drink. i think alcohol tastes awful and i'm really short + don't drink, like, at all so i ended up getting lightheaded real quick

Professor Beef said:
I blame myself for Schala's drunken choice.
this game is still horrible

like, this is the worst hub world ever

not even drinking will save this game

Lijik said:
This is nevernot the funniest thing.

EDIT- I lied. The back of the case claiming "THIS TIME - SPEED WONT BE ENOUGH" is never not the funniest thing. Holy shit.
i find the "play as sonic, shadow or NEW silver" part funny.

why is "new" in red? why should anyone care.

"battle 10 formidable bosses"

"send cars and massive boulders flying with silver's psychic abilities"

"commandeer shadow's high-powered vehicles through vast action-packed stages"

Lijik

OVER TEN ACTION STAGES

Like ten is such a small number
Its so funny theyd advertise that. Jesus christ.
Itd be like if Generations tried to sell me on the fact there was nine zones. Come on Generations, I love you but who are you tryin to kid?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
why is elise's special power to walk on sand?

how does sonic do anything while holding a girl who's bigger than he is in his arms?

edit: oh yeah, i tried some missions. mission 2's music has a riff that sounds a lot like flash man's theme

screw mission 3. kid should save his own dog. all these loading screens are blocking my way.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
he couldnt do anything when mephiles killed him lol.

anyway, yaaaaaaaay, it's our old friend silver. after this i'm going to bed.

now loading

silver appears in the air and floats down without animating saying, "i've been looking for you. you're the iblis trigger"

"your actions will condemn us aaaaaaaaaalllllllll"

now loading

silver says something but i dunno what and i dont care since he never says anything important in this game.

now loading

and almost immediately "ITZ NO YOOS TAKE THIS" ok, let's run away from him.

HOW DOES HE CATCH UP SO FAST WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE.

"ITZ NO YOOS" GET AWAY FROM ME.

"HOW ABOUT THIS" get. away. from. me.

well, he trapped me between himself and a wall. yep. all over.

why didn't they add this line to Generations? it would've been funny.

trying this again since i just want to finish it before going to sleep. how does he keep following you around like that? this is such an awful boss fight. who designed this? the best part of this is hitting silver in the head since you know shadow's going to kick him in the bakc of the head later on. the camera really needs to focus more on the boss instead of sonic because it just seems that silver appears out of nowhere and the only thing that tells me that he's around is "ITZ NO YOOS" or "HOW ABOUT THIS". it's stupid. it's poor design. i know this game had to have qa but was there only one person on qa for it? sometimes the homing attack doesnt work right either.

now im done despite him nearly catching me between himself and a wall again. i'm going to bed.

not even alcohol can save this game.

its that bad.

Chinner

Banned
Just to prove beyond a shadow of any doubt, I dug out my old VHS copy I bought with money I got for Christmas 1999:

U5sgR.jpg

Those copyright dates tell no lies. :p

I wish I had it on DVD, apparently it's pretty rare because it was one of those early DVDs before the format took off when the PS2 launched.
this post brings back bad memories. i used to be a sonic fanatic as a kid and when i heard there was a movie on vhs i needed to see it. i managed to get my mum to get it for me and i was really excited. i put it into the vhs player and it fucking jammed, and then the vhs player broke with it trapped inside.

was gutted :(

Amalthea

Banned
this post brings back bad memories. i used to be a sonic fanatic as a kid and when i heard there was a movie on vhs i needed to see it. i managed to get my mum to get it for me and i was really excited. i put it into the vhs player and it fucking jammed, and then the vhs player broke with it trapped inside.

It was an omen.

branny

You say "more" like I ever played Arcana Heart 3 in the first place!
ibqzRedDfrtPQw.gif

Don't worry, freak Sonic accidents seem to happen every now and then.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh geez, I want to go back and edit the punctuation and syntax back into my posts. Why did I let myself do that?

...and how did I think that Wave Ocean was "not that bad"? What the hell? Edit: "The camera isn't that bad"?!

Awwww... :(

I recall it being a little pricey here, so I'd feel awful if that happened to me. Damned VCRs.

qq more

Oh geez, I want to go back and edit the punctuation and syntax back into my posts. Why did I let myself do that?

...and how did I think that Wave Ocean was "not that bad"? What the hell? Edit: "The camera isn't that bad"?!

You were drunk to be fair. At least you still proved not even being drunk can save that game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You were drunk to be fair. At least you still proved not even being drunk can save that game.
LOL, well, drunk posting from me is probably going to be a one-time thing. I really dislike the taste of it. Plus I didn't really like how I omitted good punctuation in my posts last night, so drunk posting in the future is definitely a no-no! :lol

Also, Sonic 2006 not being salvageable when drunk is pretty funny, particularly with the Silver fight. It becomes quite clear at that point that no one really tested that game. It's amazing that the Silver battle in Generations went so well by comparison.

Awwww... :(

I recall it being a little pricey here, so I'd feel awful if that happened to me. Damned VCRs.

damn i was out at the time of these post but that was seriously impressive. i learned something

you can enjoy some sonic 06 levels more if you're drunk ... THANKS FOR THE TIP !!

Oh wow, it actually happened :lol

I played Shadow the Hedgehog drunk with some friends one time. Apparently, all I did was giggle uncontrollably every time a cutscene came up. Then someone tripped over the Gamecube cables and the night kinda ended there.

Ty4on

Shadow had a sticky movement to him and the levels were really dull. To get the most out of the levels you had to shoot bad guys and the combat was as far as I remember much worse than in 06. Not as buggy as 06, but a lot less fun, in my opinion.

Lijik

Shadow is WORSE than 06 for sure.

Nope. Nope nope nope. Wrong. The wrongest. Nope.
Dont make me fucking defend Shadow, Christopher.

Shadow had a sticky movement to him and the levels were really dull.
Sonic 2006 had slippery and floaty movement to the characters and the levels were really dull on top of being buggy as shit.
It also has a way worse storyline, at least I can laugh at Shadow's incoherent set of non sequiturs ironically.

TheOGB

Banned
Ugh fuck... I actually made Vector miss the beat...

AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED

I JUST KEPT RUNNING AND HIT SOME SPRINGS, AND THEN...

AAARRRRRGHGHGHDJKH;EFUIHWEL;IUHI.9UIAW FUCK

edit: oh hey i did it

SykoTech

As sad as it is, Shadow is probably a better game than Sonic '06 from a tachnical stanpoint. It was still a mess, but it had nowhere near the amount of glitches, load time lengths, and flat out unfinished parts.

I can't stand Shadow though or the presentation that game had (black aliens!). So if killing myself wasn't an option, I'd probably take Sonic '06 out of those two turds.

Shadow the Hedgehog was a disgrace and a pile of shit. Sonic 06 however was Big Rigs levels of bad, literally almost totally unplayable.

As much as it pains me to say it, ShadowTH was better than unplayable.

Shadow the hedgehog > sonic 06

In fact to break in 2012 I might play and stream shadow :p I played heroes earlier and man the cut scenes and animations are so bad, and tails' voice is terrible

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Shadow the Hedgehog was a disgrace and a pile of shit. Sonic 06 however was Big Rigs levels of bad, literally almost totally unplayable.

As much as it pains me to say it, ShadowTH was better than unplayable.

Eh, I don't know. I think I would still rate 06. 06 was a buggy mess, but Shadow was really just awful and unfun.

Heroes is better then 06 though, but to me Heroes was the first main Sonic game that was simply boring. Adventure 1 and 2 were pretty fun, Heroes was just a dull game.

Shadow the hedgehog > sonic 06

In fact to break in 2012 I might play and stream shadow :p I played heroes earlier and man the cut scenes and animations are so bad, and tails' voice is terrible

"Wooooow my head is spinning"
Never before have I hated the twin tailed terror as much as when he opened his mouth in heroes.

Both games are pretty bad, but Shadow was just ridiculous enough for me to actually get a few laughs from it. Every time I've attempted to play '06, it ends up being an exercise in frustration rather than being so bad it's good.

TheOGB

Banned
Both games are pretty bad, but Shadow was just ridiculous enough for me to actually get a few laughs from it. Every time I've attempted to play '06, it ends up being an exercise in frustration rather than being so bad it's good.

Pretty much this for me too. I actually enjoy Shadow ironically when it isn't being fuckawful, which isn't too often, but moreso than 06.

Top Bottom