• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Next 3DS purchase will be either Sonic Generations or Tales of the Abyss.

Should I bother with Generations on 3DS?
I'm a Tales fan, so you know I'm going to say to go with Tales of the Abyss!

Do not purchase Generations 3DS at full price. Wait until it goes down.

Fucking christ, I can't find what buttons on my keyboard correspond to the left and right bumper.

edit:

Finally figured it out. Man
Super Sonic seems to be a letdown compared to endless boost.

So this was a couple of pounds in the Steam sale. I felt that at that price I couldn't lose.

Just hooked up the only controller I have available (the PlaySega Saturn pad, believe it or not) and started playing.

The first level is pretty inoffensive, no where near as bad as Sonic 4. In fact, there are moments of actual legitimate platforming here.

The friend-cutscene just happened but luckily some sort of benevolent space god whisked all of the annoying little shits off through evil purple portals. I hope the game isn't building him up to be the villain.

Started the second level, and within twenty-two seconds I've just plummeted down an uncontrollable bottomless pit. Ah, now I'm starting to remember why I promised myself I wouldn't buy this.

I'll just keep plodding on.

EDIT - just completed the first "Modern Sonic" level. Its garbage. There's a point where he's running towards the camera so that you have no control over your direction all for the spectacle of this big robot fish, rails are everywhere and all that pleasant platforming from the first level has been replaced with spam spam spam of the homing attack. Its a rollercoaster of sound and things happening rather than anything resembling actual considered gameplay, damnit they've learned nothing. Its an interactive ride in which you press buttons for the occasional thing to happen, reminds me of Road Avenger on the Mega CD.

I really wish I didn't have to play through this uncontrollable mess to get to the platforming levels. Will try a bit more.

WillyFive

ugh, mama robotnick

Anyway, my main complaint of the Modern Sonic levels was the overuse of 2D platforming sections and linear 3D ones, but luckily they open up in later levels.

Just to say this early in, the music is superb so far. There's a gentle music on the hub screen with what sounds like a slow bit of the Green Hill melody being played with a violin, its really lovely.

ugh, mama robotnick

I'm sorry to voice my Sonic-related opinions in the Sonic thread Willy, forgive my transgression into your domain.

I'm trying not to be entirely negative, the first level was nice and the music is good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Now there's a face I didn't expect to see in this thread. Awesome. :D

Green Hill Zone is a poor barometer for Modern Sonic's stages, btw. It's probably my least favourite out of all of them. I'll be interested in what you think of the later stages.

I would advise doing only the Classic Sonic challenges when it comes time to open up the boss levels. You'll likely enjoy the races or challenges for the powerups like shields a little more.

Just to say this early in, the music is superb so far. There's a gentle music on the hub screen with what sounds like a slow bit of the Green Hill melody being played with a violin, its really lovely.
It gets even better. Just wait. :)

While I'm not going to try and change your mind on the matter, I will at least ask that you try to make it to at least Sky Sanctuary before completely condemning the game.

And yes, the music is easily one of the best parts of the game. The hub music also changes depending on which stage you're in front of.

WillyFive

The music is amazing, and you can even change the music later on (although for some reason you can only choose alternate tracks, and not the default tracks from other levels).

Nert

Green Hill Zone is a poor barometer for Modern Sonic's stages, btw. It's probably my least favourite out of all of them. I'll be interested in what you think of the later stages.

I would advise doing only the Classic Sonic challenges when it comes time to open up the boss levels. You'll likely enjoy the races or challenges for the powerups like shields a little more.

It gets even better. Just wait. :)

My personal favorite Modern Sonic stages are Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary, Speed Highway, and Rooftop Run. Seaside Hill is pretty fun, too (
although the kart section was a little dull
).

EDIT - just completed the first "Modern Sonic" level. Its garbage. There's a point where he's running towards the camera so that you have no control over your direction all for the spectacle of this big robot fish, rails are everywhere and all that pleasant platforming from the first level has been replaced with spam spam spam of the homing attack. Its a rollercoaster of sound and things happening rather than anything resembling actual considered gameplay, damnit they've learned nothing. Its an interactive ride in which you press buttons for the occasional thing to happen, reminds me of Road Avenger on the Mega CD.

I really wish I didn't have to play through this uncontrollable mess to get to the platforming levels. Will try a bit more.

Modern Green Hill isn't really indicative of the quality of the rest of the Modern stages, to be honest. I'd also agree that you should at least try to make it to Sky Sanctuary before forming a concrete opinion on the Modern levels.

Lijik

Started the second level, and within twenty-two seconds I've just plummeted down an uncontrollable bottomless pit. Ah, now I'm starting to remember why I promised myself I wouldn't buy this.

While I agree with some of your complaints against Green Hill Zone (that big fish was really dumb), Im not sure how this happened. The game does everything it can so you land on one of those first rails. Its like how you say later on that its all this giant spectacle. I feel like you have to be actively trying to break that interactive ride just to be able to go "SEE? SEE!?" to fall into that pit.

In general later stages get much better in my opinion. Also despite what the game might tell you to do don't boost all the time as Modern Sonic.

WillyFive

Modern Green Hill isn't really indicative of the quality of the rest of the Modern stages, to be honest. I'd also agree that you should at least try to make it to Sky Sanctuary before forming a concrete opinion on the Modern levels.

I'd push it up to Speed Highway or City Escape, since the Genesis Modern levels are still mostly straight lines with occasional stops.

Green Hill Zone is a poor barometer for Modern Sonic's stages, btw. It's probably my least favourite out of all of them. I'll be interested in what you think of the later stages. )

There is already a noticeable improvement.

Chemical Plant Classic Sonic was quite nice, but not quite as good as Green Hill Classic.

Chemical Plant Modern Sonic is so far a lot better than Green Hill Modern Sonic - I can't stand the running-forward and grinding bits above an abyss, but the 2D parts of this Modern Sonic bit are platforming, actually platforming. Its actually paused while I'm trying to get out of some Mega Muck, I am actually engaging my brain to try and get out rather than letting the game do all the movement for me.

That's promising, I suppose. Music is still superb. The transition of music on the level hub screen is really elegant.

Lijik

I'd push it up to Speed Highway or City Escape, since the Genesis Modern levels are still mostly straight lines with occasional stops.

I think Sky Sanctuary has some alright platforming while in 3D, but I agree that the first two stages are the apex of "GO FAST IN A STRAIGHT LINE AND IT LOOKS REALLY COOL!"

At Modern Sonic Sky Sanctuary right now.

It looks really nice and sounds really nice and the Eggrobos and teleporters and bouncing clouds are really well implemented.

I don't hate this.

I don't know if I like it, but I don't hate it. Its no where near the carnival of shite I've come to expect from Sonic Team. Its difficult to form a considered opinion when I'm actually in shock at the idea that its not garbage.

I only had one glitch where I fell through the floor, rolling down Seaside Hill with Modern Sonic. That's right, just one glitch in my entire play-through, that isn't bad considering how manic the levels do gradually get. The only parts where I felt I was losing control was with the camera and drifting on Speed Highway. I found it a bit tricky to keep up with the fast levels at first, but it was fine once I understood exactly how fast modern Sonic could go, and how fast the speed panels/dash/homing attack would propel Sonic. It probably took me about two modern Sonic levels to get used to it but I didn't die in that time. Even the Old Sonics required players to learn the speed, it took me about two levels in those ones as well.

The MS stages are different from classic Sonic obviously and depend more on artificial speed, but that doesn't necessarily make them bad, just different. They work in their visual cinematic roller-coaster way. Sonic Team should have had two separate campaigns for each Sonic, thus satisfying the different audiences. Although personally I really like doing both of them.

Shadow battle was fun, but yeah Time Eater will be a test.

It's not that you had to go up against Shadow that made it suck it was the fact that I had no idea what I was doing to defeat him. The battle took longer than it should have.

All the other battles in the game (aside from Time Eater) were all pretty great.

Lijik

I only had one glitch where I fell through the floor, rolling down Seaside Hill with Modern Sonic. That's right, just one glitch in my entire play-through, that isn't bad considering how manic the levels do gradually get.

My sole glitch was getting stuck in the wall once as the spike wisp. Accursed Robotnik speedtrap!

I ran into a few camera glitches that I've never been able to replicate again. All of them were in the Dreamcast era levels ironically enough, haha.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My personal favorite Modern Sonic stages are Chemical Plant, Sky Sanctuary, Speed Highway, and Rooftop Run. Seaside Hill is pretty fun, too (
although the kart section was a little dull
).
Mine too, though Sky Sanctuary, Speed Highway and Rooftop Run... and Crisis City... are probably my favourites out of the bunch since the platforming in all of these are really nice and exhilarating.

At Modern Sonic Sky Sanctuary right now.

It looks really nice and sounds really nice and the Eggrobos and teleporters and bouncing clouds are really well implemented.

I don't hate this.

I don't know if I like it, but I don't hate it. Its no where near the carnival of shite I've come to expect from Sonic Team. Its difficult to form a considered opinion when I'm actually in shock at the idea that its not garbage.
Oh wow. :O

The last leg of the game isn't very good by comparison, but it's cool that you're giving the game (particularly the Modern side) a chance.

Glad you're liking the overall presentation and atmosphere of the levels so far, though. That's most of what I really love about this game.

WillyFive

That's the real problem with Sonic Generation's boss battles. They are just nonsense until after the fact (except for Time Eater which is nonsense forever).

I'm going to have to disagree with you Mama Robotnik.

I love the Modern Sonic stages, and it isn't as automated as you make it sound like. There is still a level of skill involved if you are aiming for the fastest times. Though I can see why somebody wouldn't be a fan of it.

Modern Rooftop Run was just fabulous.

Lijik

That's the real problem with Sonic Generation's boss battles. They are just nonsense until after the fact (except for Time Eater which is nonsense forever).

I disagree. It was entirely possible to figure out what to do in all of them but Shadow's and Time Eater. And even with Time Eater I finally understood what I was doing before I beat him. Granted that was only because I looked it up, which I didnt have to do with Shadow because I somehow won first go. I cant tell you what I did to do that though, but it happened.

I wonder if all of this Rival Battle confusion is the result of nearly everyone turning off Omochao?
KuGsj.gif

Modern Rooftop Run was just fabulous.
I am being completely serious when I say that this level is my favorite level in the entirety of the series.

Is there going to be DLC levels for this game? I want more remade levels from Sonic 1 - Sonic Adventure. Especially Sonic CD!

I asked this a while back. Mums the word out of SEGA it seems.

Professor Beef said:
I wonder if all of this Rival Battle confusion is the result of nearly everyone turning off Omochao?
KuGsj.gif

Probably... but I shouldn't need that annoying thing to learn how to beat a boss.

Okay just cleared Sky Sanctuary Modern Sonic, died on five times in bottomless pits and had to restart the map.

I've realised that the controller I am using (Saturn PC controller) doesn't have enough buttons on it! When the game started telling me to move a stick to do tricks, it became apparent that I didn't have the needed input. I'm going to order one of those 360 PC adapters I think.

I'm suspecting a lot of the deaths are due to the way the camera keeps changing direction with no warning, on each occasion I've been propelled wildly off course and into a pit distant from the level itself. I'm wondering if using a D-Pad instead of an analogue stick is partly to blame.

The level itself was actually genuinely not shit. The design of the interior parts of the ruin are very well realised and appropriate, and I may have made a "squee" noise when I say the Death Egg in the distance. The production values on both the art and sound are legitimately not unimpressive.

Are we sure the shits at Sonic Team made this? It wasn't covertly developed by someone with some actual talent and then had their name slapped on the box? Did they lock Takashi Iizuka in a vault on the moon so his toxic touch was unable to infect it?

As its become apparent that my controller isn't sufficient to play the game properly I'm going to take a break (plus back at work tomorrow), and will order a 360 adaptor before I go to bed. I will try to proceed with this and will try to keep everyone updated.

I leave the game more confused than anything. Its not shit. How is it not shit?

branny

I'm still not sure how to describe modern Sonic. I tried to while I was listing my GotY honorable mentions, but I'm still not sure if it's accurate. :lol

x. Sonic Generations (PS3) ; Sonic Colors on the Wii blew me away. I ended up liking it far more than many other popular platforming games that I questioned my sanity and ended up going down a Sonic game education rabbit hole. Generations isn't as consistently good as Colors. It's better in some ways, but has some pretty low lows. To anyone who wants to know what the appeal of Colors and Generations is: imagine Burnout minus the car combat, mixed with Mirror's Edge time trials and a dash of the dexterity required for a Korean rhythm game, all riding on top of a psychedelic roller coaster. You'll get the most out of these games if you enjoy experimentation and memorization and the satisfaction that comes from perfectly executing skillful maneuvers in a frenzy of speed. These games demand you play them like classic Sonic game speedrunners. If you don't, you won't understand what makes them great.

It's definitely different than classic Sonic, and I can see how people wouldn't like it. I guess if the older games are about platforming, with speed as a reward for memorization and skill, the newer ones are more about speedy platforming, with "going even faster" and "not stopping dead in your tracks" as rewards.

dq9CRFNJVYi5.gif

The forced mission bullshit he's about to get into is gonna halt that I'm sure.
My favourite parts, I loved the variety of mechanics, how they spice the level structure up, races, just 1-ring, having to use all the shields and more yet they still depend on the same skills.

Honestly the only parts I disliked were most of the bosses which seem to have arbitrary weaknesses. Although I really liked the first two with classic Sonic and I wish Modern Sonic had freedom in how to control the camera, yet the camera moves naturally in the right direction on its own (with some rare exceptions)

I've realised that the controller I am using (Saturn PC controller) doesn't have enough buttons on it! When the game started telling me to move a stick to do tricks, it became apparent that I didn't have the needed input. I'm going to order one of those 360 PC adapters I think.

You can use a stick or the d-pad inputs for the trick parts, unless you're talking about the prompt with the triggers. That's for the "finishing" trick, and it nets you a bigger chunk of meter. If you don't have triggers on your controller, then yeah I can see why you would need a new one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think the pacing of the game in terms of having to do missions, the rival races and the very last leg of the game will make your opinion of the game take a hit.

I'd also advise doing the Classic Sonic acts second because the cutscenes with him and the saved characters are funnier because he clearly doesn't give a crap about them. Plus it might cleanse your palate of the Modern areas if you find them distasteful.

I think you said you got your hands on Sonic Colours, or would try to... I don't remember if you played it. If you did, what were your impressions for that one?

Also, I generally used D-pad for Classic Sonic and analog stick for Modern Sonic. :lol

branny said:
I'm still not sure how to describe modern Sonic. I tried to while I was listing my GotY honorable mentions, but I'm still not sure if it's accurate. :lol
Nah, I'd say your description is pretty accurate and well-written (thank goodness, I like reading what other people think about the games they've voted for).

Still plowing through Mario, Kirby and Fate/Extra. After that, I think I'll have a sufficient amount of games to put together my GOTY list. They can't all be RPGs, after all. :lol

You can use a stick or the d-pad inputs for the trick parts, unless you're talking about the prompt with the triggers. That's for the "finishing" trick, and it nets you a bigger chunk of meter. If you don't have triggers on your controller, then yeah I can see why you would need a new one.

Thanks, that sounds like exactly the problem I was having.

I think the pacing of the game in terms of having to do missions, the rival races and the very last leg of the game will make your opinion of the game take a hit.

I'd also advise doing the Classic Sonic acts second because the cutscenes with him and the saved characters are funnier because he clearly doesn't give a crap about them. Plus it might cleanse your palate of the Modern areas if you find them distasteful.

I think you said you got your hands on Sonic Colours, or would try to... I don't remember if you played it. If you did, what were your impressions for that one?

Also, I generally used D-pad for Classic Sonic and analog stick for Modern Sonic. :lol

I'll follow that advice, just watched Classic Sonic's apathy to Knuckles following the completion of Sky Sanctuary. I decided to do one more level, didn't die or anything, seem to be fine with the classic controls. Got an S grade somehow. The challenge gates have appeared but will do those with a proper controller.

I'm not-unlooking forward to progressing further.

I EVEN liked the story, it was charming. I was never a fan of talking, cocky Sonic but he doesn't have a lot to say and I like the intentional comical personality Robotnik has had recently. Most of Sonic's friends are just there in the background to be optionally helpful. Not all the rival's grudges are explained but they don't need to be.

If this was the Sonic Adventure days, they'd be a 5 minute cut-scene where the boss goes on about conspiracy bollocks or talks about a disaster in the past. This is closer to how Super Mario 3D games tell their story with just a few short scenes.

Still in the next one I'd prefer Sonic Team to take the series back to having a minimal story like the MD games.

Lijik

^Oh yeah. I feel like the people who complain about the story just got to the first cutscene and assumed it would be like that after every act or something. The story is really light in this game.

Lijik

You're allowed to critique something you like.
Its called fostering a discussion.
Oh where are we?

A discussion form

Obviously Im not playing the game going "Wow this big fish portion is dumb" but on reflection, they could have done something with that. It wasn't interesting compared to other showy bits and it had zero interest from a gameplay bit.

(also I've played Bubsy 3D to the end. Dont start with me)

I would have preferred that I could do them optionally, like Dark Schala said they really kill the pacing.
Maybe if I had do every one and wanted to get to the ending as soon as possible, but it's just about 10 keys overall and emeralds from the bosses, just a small fraction of how many missions there are overall. About 2 fun minutes on average to get one (from my experience)

I can understand that older players preferred the pacing of the old games because they're more straightforward from level-to-level, now there's the charming hub full of nostalgia and here's one of the players that enjoyed that there's so many different things with each stage, as well as the conventional get-to-the-flag objectives.

Lijik

that's funny; the last time I was having a discussion in the Super Mario Land 3D thread, you interrupted with a "joke poster confirmed" having offered no input yourself or even substantiating your claim. I think your definition of discussion greatly differs from mine.

I think there are better discussions to be had about this game than to over think the little things. I do not understand in what way they hindered the overall experience.

You said that Mario Galaxy 2 and Mario 3D Land were completely different games that couldn't be compared.
Come on dude.

Maybe if I had do every one and wanted to get to the ending as soon as possible, but it's just about 10 keys overall and emeralds from the bosses, just a small fraction of how many missions there are overall. About 2 fun minutes on average to get one (from my experience)
You kinda have to dick around to get to them (moreso in later worlds), and then it comes down to picking the one that looks most fun, and then doing that one and then doing all of that two more times.
And its not even like I could do missions ahead of time, I have to wait until they're the only thing I can do to progress.

Top Bottom