• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Sometimes I love this game, sometimes I hate it. Perfect Chaos was a massive piece of shit. Nearly rage quitted.

Perfect Chaos was pretty good IMO. Far better than the broken-ass piece of shit battle in Sonic Adventure.

Also, Sonic apparently goes rollerskating underwater.

599px-Sonic_DancePower_6_front_cover.png

Shafto

Perfect Chaos sure looked nice, but that boss fight killed my enthusiasm for the game really. It just felt so utterly pointless and lacking in challenge.

The thing i'm taking note of here is that it's number 6, so this was like a thing that kept happening somehow, maybe Sonic's Dance Power compilations get edgier as time goes on like the hog himself.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

KrawlMan

I beat Perfect Chaos on my first try, that was one of the best Sonic boss battles I've ever played.

Same. Really fun level.

This game really took me by surprise. It has its fair share of problems (control issues being the biggest of them), but none of them stop it from being insanely fun.

Perfect Chaos sure looked nice, but that boss fight killed my enthusiasm for the game really. It just felt so utterly pointless and lacking in challenge.

So if the boss fights are really easy (and they are), forget about them, and just enjoy the levels.

JonCha

The only bad boss battle is the last one. The penultimate boss is difficult, but not bad. The rest are fun and well done imo.

J@hranimo

Banned
Lmao I was dying at the Just Cause video with Super Sonic Racing playing.

Final Boss is just hold x to....win? Featuring Sonic's friends yelling the obvious. Egg Dragoon was glitchy as hell but was only fun because it was such a CHANGE OF PACE compared to the boss in Unleashed.

TheOGB

Banned
The last boss has at least 3 things wrong with modern Sonic:

1) Boost to win
2) Shitty friends
3) what the fuck is going on i dont even

The 3DS version of the boss is actually much better. Same boss, same basic ideas, but some different attacks, more challenging (at least in 3D), better controls, better ring layouts...

...No friends yelling about homing shots...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Did Sega Forget that they never pushed the button to make their DLC live? I mean, its on the Steam Content Servers, it was supposed to come out a month ago, what gives?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
While this is bumped, I'm happy to say that my Sonic Generations OST has shipped this week. :D

Though I do wish that I had waited a little. I'd actually put that guitar pick in a safe place (until I can't find any of my guitar picks (since I lose them fast) and then I'd have to use it. :lol).

Did Sega Forget that they never pushed the button to make their DLC live? I mean, its on the Steam Content Servers, it was supposed to come out a month ago, what gives?
Someone should try tweeting their twitter or something (I would, but I don't have Twitter, and their Facebook pages (SEGA and the Sonic fan page) don't allow users to make wall posts). This is rather unacceptable on their side.

Did they release Sonic CD for PC users as well this week?

I posted earlier that my file for some reason was corrupted in the process of trying to load it. I looked on Google for any answer to the problem, but all I found was a Gamefaqs topic about the same problem. In the end, I decided to just replay it, and finally caught up to where I was. I'm hoping this problem doesn't occur to any of my other saved files.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
While this is bumped, I'm happy to say that my Sonic Generations OST has shipped this week. :D

Though I do wish that I had waited a little. I'd actually put that guitar pick in a safe place (until I can't find any of my guitar picks (since I lose them fast) and then I'd have to use it. :lol).

Someone should try tweeting their twitter or something (I would, but I don't have Twitter, and their Facebook pages (SEGA and the Sonic fan page) don't allow users to make wall posts). This is rather unacceptable on their side.

I tweeted them at the beginning of the week regarding Sonic CD, never got an answer.

J@hranimo

Banned

I got the OST too! It's awesome. Happy to finally listen to the songs in 320kbps quality :)

I learned that someone named "Circuit Freq" did the Shadow rival battle music and Moderm Radical Highway remixes. Anyone know who that is or are they relatively new like Cash Cash?

O2tnb.jpg

Strides are being made in getting Sonic Unleashed level data to load in the PC version of Sonic Generations! That's Windmill Isle Act 1, if you can't tell.

(Full size version of the image here, credit to Dario FF on Sonic Retro)

Edit: Savannah Citadel, Arid Sands, Jungle Joyride, Dragon Road. Video.

The power of PC mods. Hopefully Jungle Joyride has little to no lag this time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I got the OST too! It's awesome. Happy to finally listen to the songs in 320kbps quality :)

I learned that someone named "Circuit Freq" did the Shadow rival battle music and Moderm Radical Highway remixes. Anyone know who that is or are they relatively new like Cash Cash?
They seem recent, started up in 2008: http://www.beatport.com/#/artist/circuit-freq/85931.

They don't seem so bad.

I'll say this about this recent wave of vocal songs in games like Nier, FFXIII, Sonic, Persona, The World Ends With You, etc: I've been introduced to a lot of bands and musicians that I genuinely like as a result.

It has a lot of water. The laggiest stages on PC (Chemical Plant and Seaside Hill) also have tons of water. So...
Is it definitely the water that causes lag on the PC version? My graphics card is below the recommended specs (admittedly by just one build, and I have i7 and 6 gigs of RAM) and while CP lags a lot for Modern Sonic, both versions of Seaside Hill run at a very consistent 60fps with no noticeable slowdown.

Is it definitely the water that causes lag on the PC version? My graphics card is below the recommended specs (admittedly by just one build, and I have i7 and 6 gigs of RAM) and while CP lags a lot for Modern Sonic, both versions of Seaside Hill run at a very consistent 60fps with no noticeable slowdown.

Hm. The only two stages I get framerate problems on are those two, so I figured it would be water, given they both have underwater sections.

TheOGB

Banned

Must be all that purple.

Or pink.

Or maybe it's the fire and the water, I dunno, but apparently CPZ has a lot going on SOMEWHERE.

Nabs

CP lags for almost everyone, but they patched in a fix over the holidays that made less of a slideshow during certain parts.

Hm. The only two stages I get framerate problems on are those two, so I figured it would be water, given they both have underwater sections.
Well for modern Chemical Plant it's always when I first take the high-path when you reach the first 'inside' bit and have a spider badnik and a few floating boxes where the frame rate goes to hell, along with the pipe you slide down, and the former situation doesn't even really have any visible water. Maybe it's something happening in the background?

It's even weirder since the part where the plant starts blowing up near the end still happens at a smooth 60fps. Also different engine and all that but seeing some Colors levels ported to Generations would also be neat. Has anybody started making their own original fan levels?

TheOGB

Banned
So playing the game some more again, it just crossed my mind, but... what the hell exactly IS the Time Eater? How did it go from a big gaseous mess to crack-headed robot? I feel like I missed something. There's a difference between having a minimal story and a barebones one that Sonic Team or the writers or whoever seems to have forgotten between Colors and Generations.

On the other hand, maybe it's a good thing they didn't explain, because ever since Shadow their explanation has usually been this

WillyFive

I don't think about Time Eater, or Generation's story at all. It was all just a huge missed opportunity, so I just pretend it has no story.

qq more

Guys, I just want to say that I took advantage of best buy's buy 2 get 2 free pre-owned deal and the 2 free games are Metroid Other M and
Sonic 06

So playing the game some more again, it just crossed my mind, but... what the hell exactly IS the Time Eater? How did it go from a big gaseous mess to crack-headed robot? I feel like I missed something. There's a difference between having a minimal story and a barebones one that Sonic Team or the writers or whoever seems to have forgotten between Colors and Generations.

On the other hand, maybe it's a good thing they didn't explain, because ever since Shadow their explanation has usually been this

It has a passing resemblance to Eggman's Nega-Wisp machine from the ending, maybe mixed with the Void and Frenzy Wisps (which were Wisps Eggman transformed from their natural state). And the Generations introduction to Time Eater did mark it as a direct sequel to the events of Colors.

...So basically aliens.

ksdixon

Dude! I just did one of the challenges (beat the other sonic in a race) in Sky Sanctuary, and the other Sonic (Modern) wasn't on the ground running through the level like I was, I found him glitching along in the background, floating into position so that he could stay close to me. That's fucking cheating!

thirty

Banned
I'd just like to say rooftop run modern was my goty last year. Lol they could have just released that and I would have paid full price. Does the ost include the stage entryway tunes? The flute version of rooftop run is awesome. Edit guess not :-(

J@hranimo

Banned
They seem recent, started up in 2008: http://www.beatport.com/#/artist/circuit-freq/85931.

They don't seem so bad.

I'll say this about this recent wave of vocal songs in games like Nier, FFXIII, Sonic, Persona, The World Ends With You, etc: I've been introduced to a lot of bands and musicians that I genuinely like as a result.

I listened to the links you posted and some more on spotify. I do like their other stuff! I also listened to some of Cash Cash's older stuff. Eh...pretty average compared to the awesome Sonic remixes.

It has a lot of water. The laggiest stages on PC (Chemical Plant and Seaside Hill) also have tons of water. So...

Well if that is the case, we'll see.

Guys, I just want to say that I took advantage of best buy's buy 2 get 2 free pre-owned deal and the 2 free games are Metroid Other M and
Sonic 06
Why? Even if it's free it's still going to be horrible!

LOL that video's hilarious.

Multiquote is nifty isn't it?

Top Bottom