• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Combichristoffersen said:
Hm? I'd say Sonic R is the only one that made sense since the characters there did what they would do in the regular platform games; they ran (besides Robotnik, Tails Dolls and.. Metal Sonic I think), and utilized their speed (and yet Sonic didn't outclass them with no effort) rather than jump into some random car to race each other.
Sonic R was so close to being awesome. All they needed to do was make it a bit faster.

TheOGB

Banned
RobbieNick said:
Fun Fact: Knuckles is married to Blaze IRL. That is to say Travis Willingham (Knuckles voice actor) is married to Laura Bailey (Blaze's and Omachao's voice actor).
Funnily enough, I did know that, but I understood it as "Chun-Li is married to Guile."

TimmiT said:
Holy shit

also this:
i play sonic for the great dialogue and story, not for the speed. i wish this game was alot slower with more jokes!
KaloKross 1 hour ago
I don't even know if serious, but boothisman.gif all the same

TimmiT said:
There are even crazier speedruns like that for Sonic Unleashed, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYqn84c28mw

EDIT: Better example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBKQrrYnZiw
What the fuckkkkkkkkk

The_Technomancer said:
Sonic R was so close to being awesome. All they needed to do was make it a bit faster.
And fix those fucking turns :/

I've noticed Speedrunners on Unleashed, Colors and Generations all seem to avoid the boosters on the rails, usually rail-changing past them, even when they're just otherwise riding the rail normally and aren't about to leap off early. Is it because they boost you slower than you can naturally boost?

I notice they seem to short hop a lot. Is there an actual speedrunning purpose behind that other than to showcase what I felt was the dumbest move next to the slide
and boost
Unleashed introduced?

TheOGB

Banned
Kulock said:
I've noticed Speedrunners on Unleashed, Colors and Generations all seem to avoid the boosters on the rails, usually rail-changing past them, even when they're just otherwise riding the rail normally and aren't about to leap off early. Is it because they boost you slower than you can naturally boost?
It's because boost pads suck

But no, I think it's because they make you go at a set speed which may be slower than the speed you're already going and may in some cases take away control for a short while

Throavium

Kulock said:
I think it's impossible to do anything except run in a direct straight line when you hit a booster, it basically paralyzes Sonic and makes him unable to anything else for about 3 seconds.

Throavium said:
I think it's impossible to do anything except run in a direct straight line when you hit a booster, it basically paralyzes Sonic and makes him unable to anything else for about 3 seconds.

Running isn't an issue since I'm talking about the ones mounted on rails, but yeah, I agree with it probably being that loss of control + potential speed capping. Just sometimes it looks a bit unnecessary, but it probably adds up.

ShadiWulf said:
so theres some 3DS scans out in the wild, nothing major. Just confirms Silver as the Modern Era Rival and Sonic Rush style cutscenes.

So it looks like Iizuka wasn't lying about the 3DS version being about the handheld series history after all! It's got a nod to Sonic Rush style cutscenes!
That's so not Dimps being lazy!
Wonder if they'll reveal the last two levels anytime soon.

I seem to recall hearing Tropical Resort and Sand Oasis but it'd be nice to have some confirmation, obviously.

qq more

Aaron Strife said:
Wonder if they'll reveal the last two levels anytime soon.

I seem to recall hearing Tropical Resort and Sand Oasis but it'd be nice to have some confirmation, obviously.
I don't think Secret Rings would get a level since it's a spinoff game.

Although a sand level would be nice.

ShadiWulf

SwiftSketcher said:
Mmm, reminds me of the first time I saw a Sonic Adventure commercial on TV. I'm sure if I saw this as a kid I would be in pain for every second I didn't have it.
I imagine the commercial would make me much more hyped if i could actually hear the audio... unless it's that tenderoni stuff =/ lol should be speed highway

RobbieNick

Just out of curiosity, how much is it gonna cost me in import fees for the collector's edition? I pre-ordered from Amazon Germany and live in California.

Ozone

And now we understand why there's a skateboard power-up. Maybe Tony Hawk is one of Sonic's shitty friends he has to save.

Lopson

Neo Member
Spindash has always been overpowered, I don't see what's the deal with Generations' version of it. The only game in the franchise that had a good spindash was Sonic CD. It had a small warm up time, long enough to make you think twice about using it. That and the level design encouraged you not to use it, too.

RobbieNick said:
Just out of curiosity, how much is it gonna cost me in import fees for the collector's edition? I pre-ordered from Amazon Germany and live in California.

Enjoy your "USK-Flatschen" ;) You will know what I mean when it arrives.

RobbieNick said:
I kinda need to know now. If it's over like, 50 bucks in import fees then I need to cancel.

Wasn't talking about shipping, sorry. But if it's the same as US <-> Germany it's not too expensive. Should be around a maxium of 15€ (21$). But don't know for sure.
€: Sorry I thought about shipping costs not import fees. Can't help you with that.

Chao

Lopson said:
Spindash has always been overpowered, I don't see what's the deal with Generations' version of it. The only game in the franchise that had a good spindash was Sonic CD. It had a small warm up time, long enough to make you think twice about using it. That and the level design encouraged you not to use it, too.
No way, spindash was under control in the genesis games. You can spindash and jump in a very narrow window to gain instantaneous momentum so you can reach a high platform that would be impossible to reach otherwise.

In Sonic Generations once you release the button, Sonic launches like a rocket in the direction you are facing. You can still jump, but by the time you land you have gone trough half of the stage.

Throavium

Chao said:
No way, spindash was under control in the genesis games. You can spindash and jump in a very narrow window to gain instantaneous momentum so you can reach a high platform that would be impossible to reach otherwise.

In Sonic Generations once you release the button, Sonic launches like a rocket in the direction you are facing. You can still jump, but by the time you land you have gone trough half of the stage.
Nailed it.

qq more

Lopson said:
Uhhh...

Play any 2D Sonic game (including Advance and maybe Rush) and then play Generations. Notice the big difference?

Shizzlee

I'm no speedrun master, but I can clear some of this stuff up a little because I have tried my hand in it.

Kulock said:

Most dash panels on the ground and on rails slow you down. Some are faster than normal. It's weird, I know. xD On the dash panels that do give you more speed than normal in Unleashed and Generations, it's beneficial to abuse them. Most people use slide or short hop.

You can do this in the Generations demo actually. Before the pit with platforms and rails and stuff in front of the waterfall there are two dash panels. Both of them makes Sonic go faster than normal. Hold boost and hold forward on the D-pad since it's more accurate than the control stick then short hop a little bit after Sonic passes over the second the dash panel. If done right then you should clear the whole gap and land right infront of the dash panels before the trick ramp. The D-pad can also be used in the Generations demo like the control stick. I find it better for tricks and switching rails.

Astrosanity said:
I notice they seem to short hop a lot. Is there an actual speedrunning purpose behind that other than to showcase what I felt was the dumbest move next to the slide
and boost
Unleashed introduced?

Short hopping in Unleashed, Colors, and Generations keep up your speed better than full jumping, Unleashed especially with how sliding breaks that game. Let me explain. In Unleashed, if you slide then interrupt it with something instantly say a Quick Step or a short hop then Sonic goes way faster than normal. You can test the quick step thing in Unleashed on Rooftop Run day. Anywhere you have robots chasing you on a set path hold the slide button and boost button while spamming the quick step. Sonic goes way faster than normal if you time it right. The best place to see the speed improvement is near the end of the level. They fixed this in the Generations demo and it doesn't work in Colors because you can only quick step in that game when it tells you to.

Another thing that was fixed in the Generations demo is horizontal drifting in Unleashed. It's sort of like snaking in a racing game. Hold boost and keep drifting to the left and right. Sonic goes faster than normal while gaining boost faster than it depletes it and this also makes him invincible to most enemies. In Generations, this seems to be fixed because Sonic returns to his neutral position or power hops before leaning to the other side which slows him down. It is faster to drift against certain walls in the demo how ever that works. It just does lol.

The Generations demo also has some weird rail tricks in it. On the red dash ring near the beginning of the level, if you hop through it then hit the spring it sends over a lone rail. If you press boost right before Sonic lands, he goes way faster than normal and continually switching rails keeps that speed up until you land on the other side. This also works on the rails in the cave. If you short hop over the dash panels there and boost right before you land on the rail then Sonic goes faster than normal and it's best to avoid the dash panels as they will slow you down. The timing for the rail trick in the cave is insanely difficult. If only I could do it consistently...

One more thing going on in the Generations demo is sliding after dash panels. Coming out of the first loop, if you mash the slide button then Sonic should break into a slide before he touches the checkpoint. Once you get him to slide, if you hold the slide button then Sonic slides through that part of the level fast as fuck and if you time a short hop right then some of that speed carries on through to the platform with the dash rings leading into a trick ring on it. Same works on the first half of the mobius strip in the latter part of the level.

Lopson

Neo Member
qq more said:
Uhhh...

Play any 2D Sonic game (including Advance and maybe Rush) and then play Generations. Notice the big difference?

I have, and I do agree that Generations' spindash is powerful, but so was Sonic 2/3's. What I'm trying to say is that the concept of the move itself is overpowered. I mean, in a game that's all about speed and momentum, you have a move which grants you maximum speed instantly with no penalty! Hence why I said Sonic CD was the only Sonic game with a good spindash, since in that game, you had to waste quite some time to charge it up and had to think very carefully about where to use it.

Astrosanity said:
and boost
Unleashed introduced?

short hopping and drifting while boosting is faster than simple boosting because of the extra distance you cover.

Also, in unleashed, when that big robot chases you in some stages, its faster to let him you punch you forward than to just simply boost for the same reason.

some examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xxWTaBV4WQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h4VR2u29fs

TimmiT

First review from Videogameszone.de: http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...Sonic-findet-zu-alter-Staerke-zurueck-851132/ (8.5/10)

The German magazine 360 Live also gave it an 8.5:
Sonic Stadium Message Board said:
A couple days ago, I bought a magazine with the first German review. There's a bit of kinda-new information in it, but first the score and and Pros and Cons.
Graphics: 7
Sound: 8
Controls: 8
Total: 8.5 of 10

Pros:
-Fast paced
-Lot's of unlockables
-Different paths
-Completely dubbed in German with the professional Sonic X actors

Cons:
-The approximately 30 frames per second slightly slow the pace of the game
-Few Boss fights
-Camera ocassionally unreasonable
-Loading times could be shorter
------
Unlockables:
14 character biographies, 50 pieces of music, 130 concept-arts and 13 videos
A few skills:
Run faster under water, lower loss of speed while going up slopes and 8 more
Sonic 1 will cost 7777 points
Chaos Emeralds seem to be obtained from
bosses: "(...) Or the fight with Metal Sonic to get one of the seven magical Emerald-Crystals (lol)"

Main game (9 Zones, 18 acts) will take about 4 hours, adding missions, Emeralds etc, 3 more. Not sure if this means collecting the Emeralds has nothing to do with the story. Might be that you have to recollect them to use SS in stages. But I dunn

And there's a bit on the CE. The statue is 15cm and the ring is about 4 cm in diameter.

SykoTech

Sounds short, but I'd much rather have that than for it to be long due to an overload of crappy filler like the Adventure games and most other 3D Sonics.

Lopson said:
I have, and I do agree that Generations' spindash is powerful, but so was Sonic 2/3's. What I'm trying to say is that the concept of the move itself is overpowered. I mean, in a game that's all about speed and momentum, you have a move which grants you maximum speed instantly with no penalty! Hence why I said Sonic CD was the only Sonic game with a good spindash, since in that game, you had to waste quite some time to charge it up and had to think very carefully about where to use it.

You still have to maintain that momentum once you gain it with spin-dash, though. Penalties being if you use it too recklessly you're more likely to fall into a pit, or off the fastest path, miss a jump, etc.

It might not be such a concern in the earlier levels, but even then if you spin-dash it up with no reserve, there are consequences. The real test will be to see how it plays out in more complicated stages. Which could be available in video, but I'm trying not to expose myself to too much media on the game.

JonCha

Sonic games have always been short, from Sonic 1-3 to Unleashed and Colours. We all know the depth comes in the replayability. When you have unlockables (plenty of them), chaos emeralds, red rings and leaderboards then there is plenty.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SykoTech said:
Sounds short, but I'd much rather have that than for it to be long due to an overload of crappy filler like the Adventure games and most other 3D Sonics.
Exactly. There's a LOT of replay value there (based on the demo). The Genesis games were also short, yet I still play them to this day. A great game doesn't need padding.

Veal

This is one of the few games that should get a lot of DLC. If Sega could keep supporting this with new zones and such after launch, I would keep spending money!

Pietepiet said:
Sounds like a fairly short game. This is good news. Now I might actually have the time to 100% complete it.

Come on, have you even played Unleashed or Colors?
Each level was re-playable several times over to get & see everything.

I played the demo 3 times & was able to play see new areas & shortcuts each time.

JonCha said:
Sonic games have always been short, from Sonic 1-3 to Unleashed and Colours. We all know the depth comes in the replayability. When you have unlockables (plenty of them), chaos emeralds, red rings and leaderboards then there is plenty.
I don't know, Unleashed took ages to beat thanks to the werehog/medal collecting stuff. It's the main thing keeping me from replaying the game.

The sunset edit on Green Hill is awesome. Can't wait to the lighting changes in other stages. The remix is cool too, although I'd hope the original (actually the entire soundtrack) is unlockable.

.la1n

Veal said:
This is one of the few games that should get a lot of DLC. If Sega could keep supporting this with new zones and such after launch, I would keep spending money!

SHHHHH they will hear you, it would be ungodly expensive coming from Sega and you know it.

Top Bottom