• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Is there a reason that almost half the levels in this are fucking cities? I enjoyed the demo quite a bit, but the level list is dissapointing to say the least.

We have a highway, a city, city rooftops and a city on fire... Why?

qq more

Stephen Stills said:
Is there a reason that almost half the levels in this are fucking cities? I enjoyed the demo quite a bit, but the level list is dissapointing to say the least.

Sega. That's why.

Stephen Stills said:

They just like livin in the city.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Stephen Stills said:

Ask Iizuka. Clearly he loves living in the city.

OMG Aero

Stephen Stills said:

Saves money on asset creation.

The game is only four hours long (excluding missions and whatnot)?

Ah well, at least this isn't as short as the black knight was. The game's length is the only worrying part about this game for me, it seems like it'll only take one day to do everything you can in the game.

TimmiT

Nora Kisaragi said:

Ah well, at least this isn't as short as the black knight was. The game's length is the only worrying part about this game for me, it seems like it'll only take one day to do everything you can in the game.
Every level has multiple paths and you are encouraged to replay the levels to get a better score though. And usually Sonic Team puts some shit in to make the game longer, so I'm glad they didn't do that this time.

JonCha

Nora Kisaragi said:

Yeah right. If you think you an complete everything in the game in a day, then you'll be very surprised.

qq more

Nora Kisaragi said:

There's 90 mission acts.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
TheOGB said:
Damn, no
T.J. Davis ;~;
This is quite disappointing. :/

But...
I'm quite happy that they found a way to throw a Sonic R theme in there anyway. Even without T.J. Davis.

TimmiT said:
Gameplay of a mission where
you race against Knuckles on an alternate version of Green Hill with huge enemies
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YCcj0Foq8w&t=1m30s
Also has a remix of
Super Sonic Racing.

Interesting thing of note in this video:
it may just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but the sun gradually sets over the course of the video. This suggests, at least to me, that Speed Highway's "at dawn" may actually occur in real-time as you play the stage.

Comparisons:

http://i.imgur.com/tjDTa.png -
Early in the mission. Note how bright the sky is in the background, and how everything is bathed in a warm orange.
http://i.imgur.com/A3pO0.png -
Later in the level, twilight sets in as the orange fades and the colors darken.

Sega1991 said:
it may just be my eyes playing tricks on me, but the sun gradually sets over the course of the video. This suggests, at least to me, that Speed Highway's "at dawn" may actually occur in real-time as you play the stage.

Comparisons:

http://i.imgur.com/tjDTa.png -
Early in the mission. Note how bright the sky is in the background, and how everything is bathed in a warm orange.
http://i.imgur.com/A3pO0.png -
Later in the level, twilight sets in as the orange fades and the colors darken.
Finally, they have achieved their tech demo.

But I would seriously love that, Speed Highway would be amazing were that to happen. Of course it would need the At Dawn music to complete it.

Thanks for the answer, Shizzlee. I sort of figured as much, so I'm not entirely sure why I asked, but it's nice to have confirmation from someone who clearly knows. The other speed run information is interesting as well, but I just don't have the patience to do it, and hate dying in games anymore. (Could be another scar from 2006, who knows.)

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:

And tactics like that require pure suicidal attitude before you figure them out. Impressive as hell, though.

SwiftSketcher said:
Finally, they have achieved their tech demo.
Does the shadowing change? I mean one of the big points of the Hedgehog Engine is that it precalculates a lot of the lighting elements, I thought; unless they used things like the S tunnels to disguise the transitions maybe.

SykoTech

Stephen Stills said:

Because Iizuka.

Though one crappy Sega employee tried to put blame on the fans as most levels were chosen as a result of some poll. Regardless, they still should have had enough common sense to pick the 2nd choice or a level at their on discretion if that was the case.

TheOGB

Banned
Sega1991 said:
Holy ffffffffffffffffffff

Kulock said:
Does the shadowing change? I mean one of the big points of the Hedgehog Engine is that it precalculates a lot of the lighting elements, I thought; unless they used things like the S tunnels to disguise the transitions maybe.

They don't use s-tunnels to hide the transitions, but there definitely does seem to be a noticeable "trigger" the player touches where suddenly the lighting in the level gradually drops a couple points.

Gagaman said:
Didn't notice this at first but SegaBits pointed out that the Super Sonic Racing remix samples this Sega Saturn promo.

Now I like that remix a bit more.

Lmao, I've seen that before and thought that was some weird shit. My opinion hasn't changed.

Its a shame that after the 16bit era they went from cool and edgy advertising (blast processing, mocking nintendo) to just totally bizarre with the Saturn... and then totally non-existant. :(

Does anyone know if the missions will affect the actual layout of the stage? It'd be nice to have something equivalent to the acts in Sonic Colors rather than just having objectives that modify the starting location and enemies.

TheOGB

Banned
AwakenedCloud said:
Does anyone know if the missions will affect the actual layout of the stage? It'd be nice to have something equivalent to the acts in Sonic Colors rather than just having objectives that modify the starting location and enemies.
It looked that way from the video that was posted, even though it was minimal. May just be because of the type of mission it was.

GooeyHeat

Nora Kisaragi said:
Ah well, at least this isn't as short as the black knight was.
Just curious, do you mean the whole game, or until the credits? Because apparently half of the main story is after the credits.

Top Bottom