• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Anth0ny

ShadiWulf said:
Iizuka be trollin' classic fans, if this is real, nah he trolls them regardless

http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic...-review-topic/page__view__findpost__p__379218

s4xqhk.jpg.gif

RobbieNick

You guys aren't stupid enough to believe that's an actual thing, right? They've been trying hard to emulate the Genesis physics in this game. It would definitely NOT be some magic unlockable. C'mon, man.

JonCha said:
Yeah right. If you think you an complete everything in the game in a day, then you'll be very surprised.

No. You'll be very surprised.

Reviews are confirming its 4 hours to beat the main game, 10 hours to 100% everything, source is the same magazine article.

Meaning yes, you can buy and perfect this game in less than half a day.

Delicious fanboy tears are so delicious. :D

Honestly, the game seems to play fine on its own merits. Its a nice bonus to give the genesis style physics as an unlockable. At least its in there... Sonic 4 could have really used that mode instead. :\ Thats the game that is supposed to be closer to the originals according to Sega of today.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ShadiWulf said:
Iizuka be trollin' classic fans, if this is real, nah he trolls them regardless
I wonder, if this turns out to be true, if people will have meltdowns? Like that Sonic1SonicHedgehog guy.

As for the length of the game... It takes me a while to beat Sonic console games unless I'm on holidays / have completely free weekends, so no big deal. Of course it's different for other people since some are putting aside money they could use for other stuff for a title that doesn't give them enough bang for their buck, which is unfortunate. Perhaps rent / get it from GameFly if you aren't very sure about the game and/or are tight on cash?

Generally for me as long as I get the game, have fun with it and am content with my purchase overall (despite nitpickings if any), I'm good. Generations looks fun, seems to have a few Easter eggs thrown in, seems like it has a fantastic soundscape and is really nice to look at, so hopefully I'll like it when I finally get my hands on it.

Teknoman

Nora Kisaragi said:

Reviews are confirming its 4 hours to beat the main game, 10 hours to 100% everything, source is the same magazine article.

I'll never see how people can put an actual time length on a game. You (not you, just saying people in general) cant account for players loosing lives, among other things. Like when certain RPGs are claimed as 60 hour experiences yet some people beat them in 40 or spend 80 something hours because they got stuck.

Yuripaw

Banned
Teknoman said:
I'll never see how people can put an actual time length on a game. You (not you, just saying people in general) cant account for players loosing lives, among other things. Like when certain RPGs are claimed as 60 hour experiences yet some people beat them in 40 or spend 80 something hours because they got stuck.
This, thank you. Also putting a timer on a Sonic game isn't really something you can do. If you enjoy the core gameplay, then the point is to also go back to stages and try and master it. I'm sure you can add dozens of hours of gametime to someone who will play it and try to master every stage. Sonic games also have some really good replay value. Half of this game is basically like Genesis era Sonic, and I can easily play those games over and over again. 4 hours to beat the main game is fine, when the enjoyment I can get out of the game is endless.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nora Kisaragi said:

But does this include S-ranking? That's what Sonic is all about for quite some time and most reviewers just don't get it. Quarter-page-reviewers don't tend to be the ones to get it right.

Length on the game any way you looks at it is low but, Its not really why you would buy it to start with. But then for a full retail game I want 20+ hours for £30.

not everyone care about S-ranking you don't get anything out of it

qq more said:
That and part of the fun in Sonic is replaying the levels and finding new areas.

Iam sorry what? its not like xenoblade. Do the game give you anything for that? replaying levels unlock new levels?

I could make any game into a 100 hours if I replay all the levels over and over myself

ps red rings best thing we got from colours wish they add the power up in older levels

Teknoman

jump_button said:
Length on the game any way you looks at it is low but, Its not really why you would buy it to start with. But then for a full retail game I want 20+ hours for £30.

not everyone care about S-ranking you don't get anything out of it

You do get something out of collecting all the various red rings in the areas though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sonic is about speed. If people don't enjoy trying to beat the levels as fast as they can every once in a while isn't that just kinda going against the game? I mean all the short cuts and stuff you eventually find and figure out are there for a reason :D

It's not ment to be some long ass 20 hour epic

qq more

jump_button said:
Iam sorry what? its not like xenoblade. Do the game give you anything for that? replaying levels unlock new levels?
I'm talking personally. I always find it cool when I reach an area I've never seen before, it makes the level run refreshing.

Also. there's people who loves time attacks who would take advantage of paths they've explored to get a better time in their record.

And in Generations case, there's the red rings again like in Colors... so even more reasons to replay the levels!

jump_button said:
-_- God NO! they someone who still care about them?
I'm not an achievement person myself either... but yes, there's still people who cares about them. Nothing wrong with that

(but I wish we can get something good out of mastering the game)

qq more said:
(but I wish we can get something good out of mastering the game)

Isn't that what Avatar Rewards and unlockable Gamer Pics are for on the 360? And technically the unlockables in the game itself.

In fact, Sonic Generations has such things:

http://avatarawards.ninjasfate.com/retail/p-t/sonic-generations/

Classic Eggman Suit (Head)
Defeat the final boss on Hard Mode.

Classic Eggman Suit (Tops)
Defeat all bosses on Hard Mode.

Classic Eggman Suit (Bottoms)
Defeat all rivals on Hard Mode.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I just hope they added a little incentive for S ranks though. Metal Sonic in Sonic Adventure DX, hard mode in Sonic Heroes and Green Hill in Sonic Adventure 2 were great boni!

qq more

Kulock said:
Isn't that what Avatar Rewards and unlockable Gamer Pics are for on the 360? And technically the unlockables in the game itself.
To be fair, I only have the PS3. Do you get anything for S-Ranking everything in the PS3 version? I haven't paid much attention to unlockables.

EDIT: Holy shit Classic Robotnik avatar stuff. I'm jealous of you 360 owners!

Resilient

Wtf? People are honestly whining about the length of the game?

Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles can easily be clocked in 1 - 2 hours , but myself (and I'm sure others) have sunk hours and hours into these games. Sonic CD is the same, but the alt futures and past of each level add so much length. SA1, SA2, Sonic Heroes - sure they were long. But they were full of shit too. Nobody wanted to play as Team Rose/Team Chaotix. Or spending hours as Rouge/Knuckles finding shards. Unleashed had a lot of replay value due to the stacks of Daytime stages. Sonic 06...lol.

Point I'm trying to make here is that Sonic games have been the same for the last 20 years. If you're only just realising they are short games in a single play through, you're in for a terrible surprise.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yoshi said:
I just hope they added a little incentive for S ranks though. Metal Sonic in Sonic Adventure DX, hard mode in Sonic Heroes and Green Hill in Sonic Adventure 2 were great boni!

We already know there are at least two categories of unlockables - there's the stuff you get for red rings (concept art, music, videos, etc) as well as another store that lets you buy Secret Rings-style character upgrades and other miscellaneous stuff, that uses some sort of currency based on end-of-stage ranks.

JonCha

Nora Kisaragi said:

10 hours will take me more than a day. Still, I'm sceptical over that figure: red rings took me ages to get in all the stages in Colours.

And how could they tie a physics change to an unlockable? Though even then, why?

Yeah, I honestly have no problem with the game's length. In fact, there are many awesome games I refuse to replay because they're too damn long (Okami, MGS3, Sonic Unleashed)

This kind of Sonic game lends itself to be of short length for the most enjoyment. Replaying stages is where I sink the most time into for Sonic games, for either missions, just for fun, or finding shortcuts/secrets. I don't want any werehog shit, medal collecting trash, crappy alternate modes in mechs. Just Sonic. Just fun. Can't wait to start unlocking shit.

DeVeAn

So, since the game is too short now they need to add Sonic's friends as playable characters. Or how about add in the were hog for night time stages. We have come full circle folks!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
4 hours makes it the perfect one-and-done playthrough on a rental amongst the real meat of this winter's lineup. A little nostalgic palate cleanser between giant long-ass blockbusters.

Sucks for people that will only be playing this over and over again out of brand dedication, but there we go.

Still very interested to see what happens with "Classic" Sonic after this game. The merchandise has had lots of success, and its all shown that theres a large market that prefer the old classic style over 'Modern'.

i'm watching some generations footage and whoever is playing as classic keeps spindashing, what annoys me about it is that you can spam it since you just have to hold down X without actually stopping first... so why even bother to run? :/

It's stupid shit like this sega seem to think works better.

bluebird said:
Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles can easily be clocked ........

I have nothing to add to your post, just wanted to mention this the first time I have seen this phrase in ages...sounds so much better than "finished" a game.

You a UK Gaffer? Ive never seen a american use this phrase.

Diablohead said:
i'm watching some generations footage and whoever is playing as classic keeps spindashing, what annoys me about it is that you can spam it since you just have to hold down X without actually stopping first... so why even bother to run? :/

It's stupid shit like this sega seem to think works better.
Are you only seeing GHZ? I'm pretty sure later stages will make it a lot tougher if not impossible to spam your way through.

Resilient

ThoughtsOfSpeaking said:
I have nothing to add to your post, just wanted to mention this the first time I have seen this phrase in ages...sounds so much better than "finished" a game.

You a UK Gaffer? Ive never seen a american use this phrase.

Nah not UK. Australia! I dunno why I said clocked though. Guess it's just stuck with me since childhood ! I tried to steer clear of this thread after the Unleashed speculation and OT madness, and the same with Sonic 4 and Huelens breakdown. But I've been keeping a close eye on this one. Have my pre-order down for the collectors because I like what I see. I think I will be playing this for a very, very long time.

RobbieNick said:
You guys aren't stupid enough to believe that's an actual thing, right? They've been trying hard to emulate the Genesis physics in this game. It would definitely NOT be some magic unlockable. C'mon, man.

I hope everybody remembers this post because this is something Sonic Team are VERY capable of doing. This is most likely an actual thing.

Gagaman

"Sonic Unleashed is too long! Just make a short game without all the crap time wasting!"

*they do exactly that*

"uuuugh this game is too short!"

I love you guys.

Gagaman said:
"Sonic Unleashed is too long! Just make a short game without all the crap time wasting!"

*they do exactly that*

"uuuugh this game is too short!"

I love you guys.
exactly

Sonic games are not about wasting time in hubs and talking to villagers

fuck walk-about hubs... Sonic is about playing the zones

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I cannot even believe that people are actually complaining about length.

After ten years of Sonic's shitty friends, people are actually upset when they are removed? Just what the fuck did you think this was going to be? Have you seen how fast these games are? The fact that it can even demand 10 hours from the player just to fully complete the game one time is incredible when you consider the speed of the game.

Did people suddenly forget that the original Genesis games that people hold so dear are no more than an hour long and feature virtually nothing extra to do aside from the main game? Those games cannot be judged by the amount of time it takes to complete one full run. These games are meant to be replayed many times over. I've been playing Sonic 2 for almost 20 years now and I STILL love it. Based on the demo, Sonic Generations could easily be the best Sonic game since Sonic and Knuckles. There is a LOT of replay value in there.

Every time Sega has attempted to deliver a "lengthy" Sonic title we've ended up with heaps of bullshit side quests, shitty characters, and other such activities. Do we really want that again? Sonic Unleashed was as padded as you could get. The town hubs were a waste of time and, while the Werehog wasn't terrible, it certainly wasn't anywhere near as fun as the Sonic stages. The fact that all of Generations can be enjoyed without resorting to such trickery is wonderful.

I finished Sonic Colours in about 4 hours the first time (reached around 10 getting all the collectables and extras) and more recently I started a file and was done in about 2 hours. Doesn't stop me from thinking it's a great game, though i'm sure most people here aren't bothered by the length of Generations anyway.

Nora Kisaragi said:

I'm actually fine with this. It's better to have a short, enjoyable game than one that overstays its welcome and becomes a drag. I've said it many times before, but Sonic Team's major failings seem to arise when they try and stretch for time.

That's when you get the massive, empty and pointless City of Soleanna bits, Sonic Heroes' 20 minute long levels where you encounter the same identical set piece 3 or 4 times in a row, Secret Rings' demand that you clear 10 missions on the same stage before you can progress, and so on. It was all padding to make the game longer, and it's usually that kind of stuff that would get in the way of what was actually good about the games in question.

Considering some of you guys paid $20-$30 for the PC version, "10 hours to 100%" probably isn't that bad of a deal.

Besides, I have a hard time believing "10 hours to 100%". I still haven't 100%'d Sonic Unleashed, let alone Sonic Colors, and I've put way more than 10 hours in to each of those games. Sheeyit, I haven't ever even 100%'d either of the Sonic Rush games, for that matter - there always ends up those one or two levels where getting an S-rank seems basically impossible.

That's fine. Score and time attacks give the game longevity beyond "I played all of the levels once".

Top Bottom