• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

qq more

Man, I was really hoping they'd make at least a side series for Classic Sonic.

But whatever, make more good Modern games such as Colors and I'll be content.

ShadiWulf

qq more said:

Iizuka has already said in the past that SEGA will continue to make 2D Sonic games for the 2D Sonic fans. Just.. you know, probably just not with classic Sonic =P

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Synless said:
I am almost certain the PS3 version is a lower res than the 360 version. The image quality just isn't as good based off the demos. Can anyone confirm this?
Hmm, they actually seem very similar to me. The difference, of course, is that the 360 hardware scales the image to whatever you select while the PS3 will simply display the game at 720p.

If they are both sub-720p to begin with, the would mean the 360 version only has to scale once (from original resolution to final output resolution) while the PS3 version scales from its internal resolution to 720p and then your TV/receiver handles the final step. The 360 scaler actually does a very nice job as well.

That said, I did notice a slight judder to the PS3 demo. It's a solid framerate, but throughout the demo you can see that the movement isn't quite as consistent as the 360 demo. It's not slowdown, rather, some sort of issue with the way they are handling framerate. It should definitely be possible to fix, but it's so subtle that I'm not sure it will be.

TimmiT said:

This has technically been known for a while. Iizuka said in an interview months ago that Classic Sonic's return was simply a "one-time-only" kind of thing.

I even seem to remember hearing that Sonic Generations wasn't even going to include Classic Sonic at all, initially. It was just going to be Modern Sonic as he traveled through the eras. Somebody at Sega apparently got in there and did some convincing and the idea to have dual Sonics was born.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
XfWha.gif

Synless

dark10x said:
Hmm, they actually seem very similar to me. The difference, of course, is that the 360 hardware scales the image to whatever you select while the PS3 will simply display the game at 720p.

If they are both sub-720p to begin with, the would mean the 360 version only has to scale once (from original resolution to final output resolution) while the PS3 version scales from its internal resolution to 720p and then your TV/receiver handles the final step. The 360 scaler actually does a very nice job as well.

That said, I did notice a slight judder to the PS3 demo. It's a solid framerate, but throughout the demo you can see that the movement isn't quite as consistent as the 360 demo. It's not slowdown, rather, some sort of issue with the way they are handling framerate. It should definitely be possible to fix, but it's so subtle that I'm not sure it will be.
Weird, on my tv The 360 version is quite a bit clearer. Maybe it's the contrast or whatnot. I will wait for a proper comparison to be sure.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Synless said:
Weird, on my tv The 360 version is quite a bit clearer. Maybe it's the contrast or whatnot. I will wait for a proper comparison to be sure.
What TV are you using?

That's exactly my point, though. The 360 scaler does a great job, but the PS3 version relies on the scaling capabilities of your TV and/or receiver. If your display isn't particularly great at scaling, the results would appear inferior.

Synless

dark10x said:
What TV are you using?

That's exactly my point, though. The 360 scaler does a great job, but the PS3 version relies on the scaling capabilities of your TV and/or receiver. If your display isn't particularly great at scaling, the results would appear inferior.
Panasonic plasma, it scales quite well from my experience. The settings were identicle on both inputs.

SykoTech

TimmiT said:

Was kinda known for a while, but it's a shame to hear that they still haven't changed their stance on that. Especially if no Classic Sonic means no Classic gameplay (more Sonic 4 episodes don't count).

Capcom keeps multiple MegaMans around
or are they all dead now?
And even Nintendo keeps old school Mario alive through the NSMB series. I don't see why Sega can't keep both styles and looks of Sonic going through separate games.

Dark Schala said:
what is with this guy's fixation on hentai?

This was more like a tirade on Dimps. I love the sound he makes at 2m32s.
Holy shit, that took me by surprise. :lol And yeah, I'm not sure about what his fixation with hentai is, but from the video of him making mention of Amy's "pussy crevice" I'm sure he dabbles in a little of that.

EchosMyron1 said:
Hey, man, the truth needs to get out there. SEGA can't keep shoving hentai up our asses.
:lol

Gagaman

They're probably saying they have no plan for more classic sonic so they can "surprise" us when they make a dramatic trailer featuring him for a new game in the near future.

...right? :S

(TBH they are probably holding out to see how well Generations does first. No shit?)

J@hranimo

Banned
qq more said:

They started a side series. It's called Sonic 4 :lol

Sciz

Sega's never talked about the future of the series in concrete terms before and they aren't going to start now. Meaningless PR.

Ha, ok.

Classic Sonic is definitely sticking around. Classic fans have money, which Sega wants. And if there are the kind of Sonic fans that enjoy both modern and classic styles like myself, they'll be seeing double the cash from me. I forsee episode 2 having a drastic visual overhaul. Or at the very least it's physics.

Sega are very, very stubborn when it comes to Sonic. The last thing they'd want to do is admit when they're wrong. And that's exactly how they feel bringing back the 'old' Sonic, even to coexist alongside the modern one, would look to everybody else. It would be a proverbial white flag.

This is the same group of people that refuse to admit that if there's anything 'wrong' with the modern Sonic games, it's only because the fans' have "unrealistic expectations".

So yeah, it's no surprise that they would take this stance. The only way you're gonna get these people to suck in their pride and give you what you want is to stop rewarding them for mediocrity with your hard-earned money.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I know it's pretty cheap as it is, but I'll probably wait for a steam sale for this one. It may be a better game than "Sonic 4" but I still have the same problem with it. Sonic was always such a wonderfully creative series, now it's a pandering nostalgic wank-fest. I honestly don't even care if it's side scrolling or full 3d, I don't care if the controls aren't as responsive or the physics aren't perfect (they aren't by a long shot). I don't even care about the shitty friends or bestiality nonsense in the last few games (okay, maybe a little), I just want them to display some kind of cohesive, creative vision for the series again and stick to it!

It's fine for them to do this kind of "celebration compilation" thingamabob once in a while, but we JUST HAD THAT with Sonic 4, which unabashedly ripped off stages and bosses from the first few games. This is essentially the same thing, only now it has levels from games that just came out in the last 2 years and a silly retcon plot to justify it. If I want to play Rooftop Run again I can always pop in Sonic World Adventure :p I know I'm not saying anything that everyone doesn't already know, but I feel kind of bitter about it.

Anyway... I decided to just pick up a copy of Sonic Jam instead. If I'm going to be nostalgic I might as well have fun doing it. :)

Teknoman

luka said:
I know it's pretty cheap as it is, but I'll probably wait for a steam sale for this one. It may be a better game than "Sonic 4" but I still have the same problem with it. Sonic was always such a wonderfully creative series, now it's a pandering nostalgic wank-fest. I honestly don't even care if it's side scrolling or full 3d, I don't care if the controls aren't as responsive or the physics aren't perfect (they aren't by a long shot). I don't even care about the shitty friends or bestiality nonsense in the last few games (okay, maybe a little), I just want them to display some kind of cohesive, creative vision for the series again and stick to it!

It's fine for them to do this kind of "celebration compilation" thingamabob once in a while, but we JUST HAD THAT with Sonic 4, which unabashedly ripped off stages and bosses from the first few games. This is essentially the same thing, only now it has levels from games that just came out in the last 2 years and a silly retcon plot to justify it. I know I'm not saying anything that everyone doesn't already know, but I feel kind of bitter about it.

Anyway... I decided to just pick up a copy of Sonic Jam instead. If I'm going to be nostalgic I might as well have fun doing it. :)

Its not really a nostalgia wank fest since even though some of the areas are revisited, the layouts are pretty different when paired with a different version.

For instance Modern Chemical plant, Green hill, and Sky sanctuary. Or Classic City Escape, Seaside Hill, Crisis City, Planet Wisp. And i'm pretty sure Crisis City will be totally different in both versions since the original probably wasnt all that great of a design (I never got that far in 06). Sonic 4 wasnt supposed to be a celebration, it was a busted sequel with tired ideas tacked on as original zones.

Did you play Sonic Colors?

JonCha

luka said:

It's fine for them to do this kind of "celebration compilation" thingamabob once in a while, but we JUST HAD THAT with Sonic 4, which unabashedly ripped off stages and bosses from the first few games. This is essentially the same thing, only now it has levels from games that just came out in the last 2 years and a silly retcon plot to justify it. If I want to play Rooftop Run again I can always pop in Sonic World Adventure :p I know I'm not saying anything that everyone doesn't already know, but I feel kind of bitter about it.

Sonic 4 was not this, at all, because it failed to even come close in terms of quality. Generations had smashed the ball way, way out when it comes to quality here.

And what did you expect then to do to mark 20 years of Sonic? Nintendo released a Mario compilation.

luka said:

I can see what you mean (I was a little disappointed upon learning the 20th Anniversary would just be stage remakes) but it has shaped up pretty well, and at the end of the day these stage remakes are pretty appropriate for celebrating 20 years of history. Next time around I would like to see a new original stages of course.

(also am I the only one a little sad that there isn't a two-player mode with tails or knuckles? Racing through these stages would have been sweet, especially the classic ones.)

luka said:

I don't know, having Classic Sonic in the same game as Modern Sonic and having Classic Stages of iconic Sonic stages as well as Modern stages of these iconic stages is pretty creative if you ask me.

The stages are not the same either. Sure, they'll be similar but I'm sure the stages won't resemble their past counterparts 1:1.

Ozone

I wouldn't be surprised if they killed off Classic Sonic at the end of this game.

Either that or the final boss is them fusing into the monstrosity that figurine represents.

FreeMufasa

Combichristoffersen said:
I wanted to jack off to Rogue's tits in that gif, but all the characters give me this weird look :(

Should of got in early dude. I let a couple out using the SA2 manual nearly a decade ago. Either this Rouge or Rouge from Power Stone.

0HmVY.jpg

Top Bottom