• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

luka

Loves Robotech S1
JonCha said:
Sonic 4 was not this, at all, because it failed to even come close in terms of quality. Generations had smashed the ball way, way out when it comes to quality here.

And what did you expect then to do to mark 20 years of Sonic? Nintendo released a Mario compilation.
I wasn't comparing them in overall quality. I know Sonic 4 was a giant turd, this looks better in every conceivable way. My point is just that they've been trying to shamelessly service fans of old and new sonic like they're 2 completely separate fanbases. Crazies who freak out about Sonic's eye color aside, there is really only one: fans of good sonic games. Sega misinterpreted fan reaction to the "modern" games as a distaste for the style and design when it was really just a distaste for how sloppy, unpolished and unfun they are. Instead of looking at the franchise as a whole and developing a solid vision for where the series would lead, they latched on to the "classic" and "modern" dichotomy and ran with it. Generations to me represents the most cynical and blatant attempt to cash in on that dichotomy. Even if they've -finally- tuned the controls and physics to be somewhat acceptable and -finally- managed to make a 3d Sonic without horrible technical issues and bugs, to me it's the ultimate step in the wrong direction.

Honestly I think Sonic Adventure, even with all it's problems, is still the 3D game that is most faithful to the original mechanics and style.

Teknoman

Well Colors Wii was really the first 3D Sonic title with no horrible bugs/glitches/wack gameplay mechanics, and with original stages, music, and power ups.

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
I love this design, but to be honest classic Sonic's proportions don't work too well with the behind the shoulders view of the 3D sections. For a 2.5D game though? He'll yes.

Eh, the way I see it, those proportions aren't too far off from Sonic in SA1 - just a little stubbier and pudgier.

XVmWX.png

zee2g.png

Would probably look fine from behind the back with the right animation.

Green Scar said:
How the fuck do the combos work, they're baffling me

When you go off a trick ramp or a rainbow ring, move the stick up, left, right, or down to do tricks. Holding the same direction won't net you as much boost, so always try and press a different direction in sequence.

Before you touch the ground, hit L1/R1 or both bumpers to do a finisher trick for lots of extra boost.

Sega1991 said:
When you go off a trick ramp or a rainbow ring, move the stick up, left, right, or down to do tricks. Holding the same direction won't net you as much boost, so always try and press a different direction in sequence.

Before you touch the ground, hit L1/R1 or both bumpers to do a finisher trick for lots of extra boost.

Right, it was that last bit that I didn't know. Cheers!

Sega1991 said:
Eh, the way I see it, those proportions aren't too far off from Sonic in SA1 - just a little stubbier and pudgier.

http://i.imgur.com/XVmWX.png[/MG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zee2g.png[/IM]

Would probably look fine from behind the back with the right animation.[/QUOTE]
Wow, I was actually thinking the same thing. Would not mind if they returned to this model, it is basically classic + extremmzz.

I also wouldn't mind a return to adventure style gameplay instead of the "burnout racetrack interspersed with 2d sections" style we have now. They were so close to realizing proper Sonic in 3D with SA, but their progress just went backwards from there.

When Sonic Unleashed came out, I preferred the Adventure controls/physics to the normal Sonic stages. I almost totally dismissed the game due to its change in gameplay. After playing Sonic Colors though, I realized how fun the system could be. So, I went back to Unleashed and enjoyed it for what it is and I've come to the conclusion that it really isn't that bad once you put time into it.

Sidzed2

All I have to say is that the demo for this game completely sold me on the experience, and I'll be certain to give it a play (either at bargain bin price or by renting) whereas I had no intention of playing it at all, previously.

Poona

Just played the demo and noticed that no animals came out of the robots when you destroyed them. I thought that was part of the old games so was surprised to see it not continue here.

I always thought the robots existed as they were Sonics friends that Robotnik had taken and entrapped inside robots.

The original Shadow fight was just a straight collapsing highway with some paths of rings. Looks like they've reworked it into a mini-race of sorts, very awesome.

FreeMufasa said:
Bloody hell. I forgot they actually made Rouge even more Voluptuous in Sonic X.

Sonic X didn't even go that far, that's fan art. Amy's a little too loaded too, and Blaze was never in Sonic X.

Poona said:
I always thought the robots existed as they were Sonics friends that Robotnik had taken and entrapped inside robots.

That bugged me a little too, but some of the later games dropped different things other than animals, and maybe they wanted to avoid the Sky Chase situation.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SEGA details Spot Pass support for Generations 3DS

Anoop Gantayat said:
Joining a large batch of media, Sega has shared details on the Spot Pass features for the 3DS version of Sonic Generations.

Sega lists two activities for Spot Pass: exchanging profile cards and exchanging missions.

For the profile cards, you can record details about how long you've been playing the Sonic series, and also list your favorite amongst Sonic's shitty friends. The card also includes your play record for the 3DS title so others can see how far you've advanced.

x0vbjl.jpg
33a3u5v.jpg

Sega says that by exchanging your profile card with lots of people through Spot Pass transfers, your card will be updated in various ways.

For the mission exchange component, the game includes 100 missions, different from the main story missions, which can be unlocked through Spot Pass.

When you do a Spot Pass exchange with another player, that player appears in your Spot Pass log. Select the player's name, and you'll see that you've received one mission that the player has cleared.

2wdnby0.jpg
zn0g7a.jpg
309nbs9.jpg

Examples of missions include Revenge, where you must defeat as a certain number of enemies as possible, and Special Trial, where gopher-like enemies appear in Act 1 of Mushroom Hill Zone.

For those who don't get out as much, the missions can also be unlocked via Game Coins.
Source: Andriasang

Also, the Sonic Generations images separated by game.
Sonic Generations 3DS Radical Highway + Spot Pass screens
Sonic Generations HD Speed Highway + Shadow Boss screens

Lijik said:
It looks like youre chasing the dawn in one of them

i guess.. Would have thought if the section was there they would have included a screen shot from it in a gallery of speed highway images though... I WANT TO BELIEVE.

just tried the demo out in 3D. frame rate really tanks at parts, but it's great to see proper framepacked 3D on the 360 first hand finally.

3D was a great help in the modern Sonic level, when it wasn't killing the framerate anyway. it didn't really add anything for classic Sonic other than really bad framedrops. i doubt my impression would be the same if i had played it in 2D, but i have to say i enjoyed the modern Sonic level more.

Lucentto

Banned
I just played the demo. Fantastic,though what I have been hearing about the length is scaring me. I really want more stages to play through or acts.

TheOGB

Banned
Must.. not.. look... at-- OH FUCK THAT'S NICE

It's only one more week...

FreeMufasa said:
Bloody hell. I forgot they actually made Rouge even more Voluptuous in Sonic X.
That's not even from Sonic X.

You can tell because it looks a lot better :V

btkadams

played the demo that came out today on psn. i thought both new sonic and old sonic controlled very well. the framerate seemed to be really shitty on the classic sonic level though...which was really disappointing. i wonder if it's representative of the final game.

Rlan said:
http://andriasang.com/comyr0/images/23hrs/full.jpg

HOW MANY REFERENCES CAN I FIT INTO A SINGLE SCREEN

"Ami Bivd.", "OMGA" and "SORM THE ALBATROS"

It's fun, but they could have featured some of the other obscure characters a little more too, instead of repeating Espio over and over for example. He's on the "Digital" sign, the street exits sign under Speed Hwy., and I'm sure he's on that poster too, all in effectively one screenshot.

nns3d

I just noticed the the the Sonic Boost thing in the Space Colony Ark pic is pinkish instead of it being light blue. I wonder why...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Teknoman said:
Well Colors Wii was really the first 3D Sonic title with no horrible bugs/glitches/wack gameplay mechanics, and with original stages, music, and power ups.
Colors was pretty great, I had fun with it, as I'm sure I'll have fun with Generations. Regardless, they both have the same split-personality design that I feel hurts them more than anything. Shitty friends and level design quirks aside, SA1 and 2 got the controls so so right. Fast, but still slow and fluid enough to feel totally in control. Playing either Sonic in Generations doesn't give me that feeling. Classic feels too stiff and robotic and modern is too touchy and on-rails. SA1 and 2 just needed better structure and less bloat to be perfect, instead they took it in a completely different direction.

SwiftSketcher said:
I also wouldn't mind a return to adventure style gameplay instead of the "burnout racetrack interspersed with 2d sections" style we have now. They were so close to realizing proper Sonic in 3D with SA, but their progress just went backwards from there.
This is exactly what I'm saying. Hopefully when they say they have 'no plans for more classic sonic' it means they're going to take a hard look at the direction of the series and come up with something a little less schizophrenic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Afrocentric-Asian said:
I just noticed the the the Sonic Boost thing in the Space Colony Ark pic is pinkish instead of it being light blue. I wonder why...

Yeah, just noticed that too...

jzd4wj.jpg

These look nice.

2rws1fl.jpg

wlxc7b.jpg

2qu7qrr.jpg

scitek said:
Oh fuck off. I promise there was no such thing as "Classic Sonic" until they saw that fans had totally turned against what they deemed "Modern Sonic." Once Sega realized they had an opportunity to multiply a single mascot by two, "Classic Sonic" was officially born.

QFT

Ramune

Played the Classic section of the PSN Generations demo. Went back and forth between 360 and PS3 and I have to say the 360 demo is a LOT more vibrant where as the PS3 version seems to have some aliasing compared to the jaggy 360 version. Even still, the 360 version graphics wise, is easier on the eyes IMO.

Anyone else feel the same?

branny

Anth0ny said:
My Sonic 06 LTTP is up if anyone is interested in reading a horror story.
Seriously, all the Sonic '06 talk lately made me finally watch the pokecapn LP for the first time ever. That game has left me emotionally scarred without even touching it.

FreeMufasa

Sega1991 said:

XVmWX.png

Would probably look fine from behind the back with the right animation.

This just reminded me. Up untill Sonic Gen was announced, I always thought there was 1 sonic and SEGA were just switching between stubby and lanky.

stubby

zee2g.png

lanky

hpfMW.png

stubby

aFMzr.jpg

lanky

D0orJ.jpg

stubby

1UekM.jpg

Top Bottom