• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Locke_211

I'm having an odd relationship with this game. I really, really enjoy watching videos of it, but don't have much fun at all playing it.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So there's also an SSS rank in Sonic? That'd explain those horribly easy S-ranks in the Gamescom demo :).

Joseph Merrick said:
holy shit, just tried the demo. is this game actually not even managing 30 frames?! :-DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

bwahahahahahhahahahahaha. TERRIBLE.

Troll+Face+Emoticon8.png

Malajax

I just played the demo.

This will probably be my game of the year. Just sayin'

I haven't played too many games this year

Joseph Merrick said:
holy shit, just tried the demo. is this game actually not even managing 30 frames?! :-DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

i wasn't following your argument until the dozen or so 'D's

completely agree, worst game of the year all years

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Joseph Merrick said:

The game runs at a rock solid 30 fps, it's not sub-30 at all.

Astrosanity said:
i wasn't following your argument until the dozen or so 'D's

completely agree, worst game of the year all years
I needed all the D's because my mind was completely blown at the time by the game not being 60 frames. how could they get this wrong. haha.

Teknoman

Joseph Merrick said:

Its 30. At least the 360 version stayed at 30 the whole time.

Joseph Merrick said:
I needed all the D's because my mind was completely blown at the time by the game not being 60 frames. how could they get this wrong. haha.

The hedgehog engine. Sonic Unleashed ran at 30 with drops, Colors ran at 30 locked (and played great/ran pretty smooth) but I think that was on whatever engine Sonic Riders Zero Gravity used. Really there is nothing wrong with it running at 30 fps if its designed for that framerate, and not the result of drops. If you havent played a Sonic game since say, Adventure 2 or even the original trilogy, I can understand the shock though.

Price to pay for Sega making large and detailed environments I guess, compared to how things looked in 06.

Joseph Merrick said:
because sonic games are known for being high-quality products with having the same frame rate nearly every other current-gen game has being their only major downfall

oh well at least we still have good old 60 fps sonic '06

SykoTech

The_Technomancer said:
Is such a thing even possible?
I guess it is.

Heh. Believe it or not, there's actually quite a few Adventure fanatics out there. Though most of them are usually Shadow fanboys, nostalgia people, and whatever, but still. Personally, I think the Adventure setup had some potential, but they went in the wrong direction with Sonic Adventure 2. Then Sonic '06 came along and...well, yeah.

If they were to ever go back to the Adventure formula, they'd have to make some serious changes to make it worth anything. If anything, it would be interesting to see how Iizuka and the current Sonic Team would handle it.

The open spaces and slower platforming is something the first SA made some good effort on without needing to run at incomprehensible speeds. That's why I'm a fan of SA. It's main problems were some collisioning and camera issues (and the occasional homing attack flipout), but Sonic himself controlled relatively well. With some tweaks to the homing attack and some added momentum physics (especially with the spindash), they would have had it perfect.

SA2 kind of polished Sonic's movement, but people's impression of the game is muddled by 35 minute knuckles stages and clumsy boring mech stages taking up 70% of the time. 06 of course just took a dump on the adventure style and I'm afraid that its scarred everyone so horribly both fans and Sonic Team will refuse to nurture the great potential the original SA had for 3D sonic, instead opting to keep it as Sonic Burnout with random 2D platforming sections.

eso76

i just tried the demo and read this page..

well i agree with the 30fps comments.
The game is completely unplayable for me in its' 2.5d stages, i can't see what's going on and it makes my eyes bleed.
Maybe you can get used to it, but first impact was terrible.

3D stages i think work better somehow.

Chao

eso76 said:

The game is completely unplayable for me in its' 2.5d stages, i can't see what's going on and it makes my eyes bleed.

PS3 version? I felt that way about it, but the 360 version looked ok to me.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
My biggest problem is that the art direction makes it hard to see important things like... erm... RINGS. Seriously, Sonic moves too fast for environments this cluttered.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Green Scar said:
Yeah, he's right guys, I tried and I broke my spine

Now I'm dying, fuck you SEGA :(

Sega has finally found a way to deal with the part of the fanbase they consider pesky; make the Sonic games so bad they'll literally kill fans. Genius!

when do the reviews drop?

eso76 said:

OH MY GOD!

Those crafty sons of bitches...this was their plan all along.

Blueblur1

Teknoman said:
Yeah I liked the ideas and style of adventure 1 more than anything from that era.
Agreed.

There's no way we'll see more awesome stages like Red Mountain with the current Modern Sonic gameplay model.

JonCha

Release is on Tuesday, so reviews are going to drop Friday/Monday I'm guessing?

And has everyone pre-ordered? I still haven't, but the game doesn't release until the 4th here.

FreeMufasa said:
This just reminded me. Up untill Sonic Gen was announced, I always thought there was 1 sonic and SEGA were just switching between stubby and lanky.

stubby

http://i.imgur.com/zee2g.png

lanky

http://i.imgur.com/hpfMW.png

stubby

http://i.imgur.com/aFMzr.jpg

lanky

http://i.imgur.com/D0orJ.jpg

stubby

http://i.imgur.com/1UekM.jpg

It may not look like it from the camera angles they pick for most of the game, but Sonic Heroes Sonic is pretty lanky. He just has a giant-ass head.

http://imgur.com/a/Qe8Dk

Tuck

Just played the Modern section on PS3.

Sonic seems less floaty, which is good. Maybe a bit sluggish when slow, but thats fine.

Noticeable lag when jumping. Boost activated immediately, so i guess its how they have the jump set up. I was kind of getting used to it by the end, but it was definitely the worst part of the demo.

Very pretty game.

WillyFive

Yeah, I noticed how hard to control Modern Sonic is when going slow. You go a little too fast, and you can barely turn around. Seems like he was designed entirely to go in a straight line really fast, which I don't really like.

Willy105 said:
Yeah, I noticed how hard to control Modern Sonic is when going slow. You go a little too fast, and you can barely turn around. Seems like he was designed entirely to go in a straight line really fast, which I don't really like.

The controls are designed to work within the confines of the level design? Those bastards! lol Honestly though, I don't imagine this game having levels with wide open spaces, so it should be fine.

MarkusRJR

Tuck said:
Just played the Modern section on PS3.

Sonic seems less floaty, which is good. Maybe a bit sluggish when slow, but thats fine.

Noticeable lag when jumping. Boost activated immediately, so i guess its how they have the jump set up. I was kind of getting used to it by the end, but it was definitely the worst part of the demo.

Very pretty game.
I noticed the lag on the jumping also (PS3 version too). It's kind of annoying, especially when it sometimes doesn't register my jump at all. I'm not sure why they'd even add in control lag in such a fast moving game. Sounds like bad game design to be honest.

WillyFive

EchosMyron1 said:
The controls are designed to work within the confines of the level design? Those bastards! lol Honestly though, I don't imagine this game having levels with wide open spaces, so it should be fine.

But that's the thing. I like levels with wide open spaces.

Even in Sonic Adventure 2, where the levels were also mostly linear (but not to the extent of Green Hill Zone from here), Sonic could still walk around just fine. You could explore around and see what extra routes and places you could find.

Rlan said:
http://andriasang.com/comyr0/images/23hrs/full.jpg[img]

HOW MANY REFERENCES CAN I FIT INTO A SINGLE SCREEN[/QUOTE]

But who is Jet the hawk ?
my knowledge on sonic friends is small to say the least ..

dark10x said:
The game runs at a rock solid 30 fps, it's not sub-30 at all.
maybe he played it in 3D like i did. it's not a solid 30 fps in 3D. nothing like it. it's a shame too cause it looks rather nice in 3D, and modern Sonic even plays better in 3D when it isn't vomitting frames out the back of your television.

ezodagrom

Some interesting stuff that appeared on the Steam registry (PC version), the Sonic Generations entry has been updated, and a new entry for the "primary cache" as been added, which shows that Sonic Generations most likely will be an 8.41GB download (8611MB/1024 = ~8.41GB).
It also shows that Sonic Generations will use an external tool to configure the game options.

sonicgenerationssteam2.jpg

Willy105 said:
But that's the thing. I like levels with wide open spaces.

Even in Sonic Adventure 2, where the levels were also mostly linear (but not to the extent of Green Hill Zone from here), Sonic could still walk around just fine. You could explore around and see what extra routes and places you could find.

I agree, and have actually stated several times in this and other threads, that Sonic Adventure 2 is the gold standard for 3D Sonic controls.

Let's not make it out like you need to stop and walk around for a while to find the alternate routes in Generations, It'll work just fine. And the turning/ general movement controls for when your running as opposed to boosting, work leagues better than they did in Unleashed. Where Sonic did feel quite unnatural, unless at top speed.

The controls not allowing you to perfectly do things you never would reasonably need to do isn't really an issue, unless they're so unnatural that it's just a chore to deal with them at all, which I don't consider to be the case.

Of course I'll have to wait to play through all the levels to see if the controls ever do come up short, but I'm fairly confident it'll be fine.

You can also spend more Sega points to unlock Infinite Continues for Sonic 1 if you need them. (Haven't they learned from EA? You make that pay-for DLC!)

Top Bottom