• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

ShadiWulf said:
hkx3s.jpg
Awesome, really glad they put Final Rush/Chase in Generations.

branny

I think I need to go back and play SA2 again to refresh my memory. From what I can remember, there were a few things that I didn't like (atrocious filler and unwieldy camera notwithstanding). While Sonic's and Shadow's controls were fine, their progress throughout each act seemed heavily capped by stage elements like boost pads, rails, pulleys, and homing into enemies. The emphasis on momentum manipulation that I personally enjoy from older Sonic games felt a bit lessened by this kind of design. I remember the better stages having multiple paths and ways to sequence break them but most of those just involved falling intentionally in very specific areas.

What's in the Generations demo is more appealing to me. Controls aside, modern Sonic's interaction with stage elements feels more free-form. There are still cinematic/breather portions, but Sonic's ability to generate momentum from boosting anytime, especially while drifting or after grinding certain rails, adds more control over pathfinding when the level design affords it. Managing the boost meter with tricks, enemy kills, etc. for upcoming segments will hopefully make replaying modern stages more exciting than their linear scripting would otherwise discourage. Also, the ability to avoid things (like platforming sections and stage elements) seems easier and is sometimes even required for optimal speed/time. This is, like, the complete opposite of how SA2 worked for me, though it could be that I sucked and things just didn't click. Generations' approach appears more technical, so that should be better for longevity. I definitely agree with EchosMyron1 on needing to see how modern Sonic's level design is handled in the rest of the game before passing judgment.

I'm not really a Sonic nut, though, so my opinion probably isn't the most educated. And I still need to play Colors. :(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I sometimes feel like the only person who thinks that Adventure 1 was shit and Adventure 2 was mediocre. The controls in Adventure 2 were just too twitchy: Sonic was impossible to steer at high-speeds because the slightest tap sent him careening to the side so running in anything other then a straight line became "run, stop, reorient, run", and mid-air controls while jumping were similarly twitchy, so platforming was a pain. The game only functioned because of grind rails and homing attacks.

Greektown

Neo Member
I was 9-10 years old when i played Sonic Adventure and Adventure 2. I was absolutely obsessed with both games and didn't even care about the camera problems and the controls. I was just too amazed by it. Now when I play it, its obviously got its faults but theres something about those games that make me excited. Maybe because it reminds me of those fun times back then.

These forums also give a lot of flack to heroes. I played the absolute s**t out of that game. I put in about 60 hours into the GC version and like 30 into the xbox. I was obsessed with sonic and didn't care how the game actually was.

I feel like SA 1 had the best idea of transitioning Sonic into the 3D world. The platforming and running aspects were the right idea. However, the developers could not implement it correctly. Collisions, glitches and other technical aspects hindered the game. It was ambitious though. Modern sonic in Generations does not have that slow pace precision control that I have been looking for. I want the challenging platforming like a Super Mario galaxy but obviously with some speed infused but this game doesn't provide it.

The_Technomancer said:
I sometimes feel like the only person who thinks that Adventure 1 was shit and Adventure 2 was mediocre. The controls in Adventure 2 were just too twitchy: Sonic was impossible to steer at high-speeds because the slightest tap sent him careening to the side so running in anything other then a straight line became "run, stop, reorient, run", and mid-air controls while jumping were similarly twitchy, so platforming was a pain. The game only functioned because of grind rails and homing attacks.
Nah, I feel both were shit. Or at least aged unbelivably badly, though I feel both have good design ideas but absolutely horrible, glitchy execution. I just have slight, vague fondness for them partially due to nolstagia and partially due to the overall impression that at least the people working on them tried. I think Unleashed's even worse in the control department and the werehog was a bizarre idea, but it's honestly around about the same quality of the Adventure games if only because as bad as it is it improves a huge amount of S'06 (not saying that's a particularly hard feat).

Still, a game like Sonic Adventure with a few of Colors/Generation's additions like better control at high-speed, quickstep and jumping occasionally being a better alternative to homing attacking and with the automatic parts cut out would be my ideal 3D Sonic game. Still like Geneartion's modern Sonic for what it is.

FreeMufasa said:
My knowledge on his amazing/shitty friends is extensive and this is the first i've heard of him.
The most annoying thing about Jet was his voice. He wasn't that bad, by Shitty Friend standards, mainly because he stayed in his own games.

The_Technomancer said:

Sounds like Sonic 06 more than anything else. Sonic Adventure 2's Sonic stages (most of them) are really good. Metal Harbor, Green Jungle, City Escape, etc. I've never had a problem steering Sonic at high speeds in SA2. The problems I've had is that light speed dashing and rail transfers randomly decide to not work. That and 2/3rds of the game sucking.

The jumping is especially not "twitchy", it's actually pretty slow.

RobbieNick

FreeMufasa said:
My knowledge on his amazing/shitty friends is extensive and this is the first i've heard of him.

The latest Sonic Universe is a four-part series all about Jet and the Babylon Rouges. They're okay since they stay in their own game series. Their game origins are all sorts of messed up though.

G0523

The_Technomancer said:
I loved both of the Sonic Adventure games when they first came out. Now? Not so much. Nostalgia and ignorance has deluded many who still think they're the best Sonic 3D games.

Also, as far as Sonic's movements, don't forget how things got really bad when you got the Bounce Bracelet! Jump to rail. Press B to speed up immediately--oh, no! Bottomless pit!

Sciz

Professor Beef said:
The most annoying thing about Jet was his voice. He wasn't that bad, by Shitty Friend standards, mainly because he stayed in his own games.
He bled over into Black Knight, as I recall. Not that anyone cares about Black Knight.

The_Technomancer said:
i loved ( and i still LOVE ) SA1, as for SA2 , 2/3 of the game felt like a serious step back with apinfull boss battle no fun at all , ackward tail and eggmans moments ( while juming while lockin on ) horrible tail & rouge stages with a sensor that feels like it's toying with my nerves.
As for sonic i enjoyed all the sonic /shadow levels except city escape and that level with gravity on space. i even prefer the chao system of SA1 over the on in 2.

Each time i tried to experiment in SA2 i met with death that definitly wasn't the case with SA1 ..how i wish they put emerald coast instead of city escape in generations ..

I'll be getting my Sonic The Hedgehog 1&2 Soundtrack tomorrow in the mail, since I checked USPS's tracking status and it's in my state (NY). My ears can't wait.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
^Hah, I should've paid for express shipping. :/

So apparently IGN is live streaming Sonic Generations, and they've just started on Speed Highway. The footage is not very good and they're filming off-screen (and thus you can mostly hear the sound effect and some of the music).

http://www.justin.tv/jackign
Source: TSSZ (if the actual channel does not work for you)

Holy crap @ 23:00; did Chemical Plant
turn into Crisis City?

ALso, LOL at his death expression.

qq more said:
Balloon Park
remix confirmed for generations

Was that what was playing during the
Chemical Plant Extra Mission with Amy
?

EDIT: ...ok, that noise that plays during the loading screens is annoying...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I know a lot of people don't really like the modern sonic parts. But personally I can't wait to see how all the old stages are done in modern style. Same for the newer stuff being done 2d style.

Maybe I spoke too soon. I saw a bit of Modern Crisis City and there seems to be a fare share of slower 3D platforming, not just 2D section platforming. I'll wait to see how Sonic controls moving slowly, but this makes me more excited to play.

We FINALLY get to see
The Time Eater do something
ala cutscene @ 35:00

EDIT: Oh, wow, it's the opening cutscene; that explains it.
EDITX2: ...well, that was fast. I'm all for getting the plot rolling, but geez.

Aw, hell yeah @ 38:43:
Open Your Heart for Perfect Chaos! Sound like it's the new mix that was in the Super Sonic Songs: The Best of Crush 40 album they released a while back. Maybe it was for this?

Holy shit @ 41:00
3D platforming? In MY boss fight!?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
QisTopTier said:
Chilli dogs

edit derp: Open your heart woot!
I like how
Sonic only seems to care about losing his chili dog at first.

And
definitely sounds like a new mix for Open Your Heart

Just finished the video; that was awesome. I'm LOVING the new violin in Modern Crisis City.

...you know, once
the level list was leaked
, I always joked to myself: "...wouldn't it be hilarious if
Crisis City ended up being the best level of the game?
". Well, it looks like it just might be!

QisTopTier said:
I honestly hope crush's version of sonic boom is in the game. They only have a shitty live recording of it :(

We haven't even heard the game's theme song yet (if there is one; I'd be surprised if there isn't); My guess is it'll be the final boss theme.

PhantomOfTheKnight said:
Aw, hell yeah @ 38:43:
Open Your Heart for Perfect Chaos! Sound like it's the new mix that was in the Super Sonic Songs: The Best of Crush 40 album they released a while back. Maybe it was for this?

Holy shit @ 41:00
3D platforming? In MY boss fight!?

mother-of-god.jpg

I always wanted this. ;_;

I wonder if the load times will improve if you install the game to hard drive. (On consoles, PC aside obviously.) It didn't really do much for 2006 or Unleashed, but the demo seemed to load a lot faster than the final game does. Might just be there's a lot more overhead now it has to worry about, but I'd like to see what it runs like installed.

Watching
Crisis City
is amazing, it's such a stark contrast from what I've been reminded of recently watching the 2006 "Let's Play."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
PhantomOfTheKnight said:
We haven't even heard the game's theme song yet (if there is one; I'd be surprised if there isn't); My guess is it'll be the final boss theme.
If there were a vocal theme, we probably would have heard it featured in a trailer by now (perhaps the E3 trailer at the earliest). Perhaps there is one, who knows?

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if an arrangement of The Doomsday Zone is the final boss theme, though.

Green Scar said:
Guys, I have something to say.

The jumping noise old Sonic makes is really fucking annoying.
It's okay

We have a nice farm you can retire to where old Sonic won't bother you anymore

(Dark Schala, get the straight jacket, I'll distract him.)

Rlan

Anyone got a time f the AMy mission in that video?

Interested if they bring back older versions of a lot of characters -- I mean there are classic Amy toys out there a lot now, will she appear in the game? We've yet to see ACTUAL classic Eggman as well.

ShockingAlberto said:
It's okay

We have a nice farm you can retire to where old Sonic won't bother you anymore

(Dark Schala, get the straight jacket, I'll distract him.)

AND SONIC 4 HAS BETTER PHYSICS, HARBLE GARBLE

(I'm used to the noise in-game, it's just watching a video now I noticed it, haha. I like everything else old Sonic :( )

Top Bottom