• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

TheOGB

Banned
Green Scar said:
Guys, I have something to say.

The jumping noise old Sonic makes is really fucking annoying.
I... agree.

Prefer the Sonic 2/3/everything that wasn't DC/Heroes "WHoosh!" jump. Sonic 1/CD jump sound is like... "whiny" and "high-pitched" in comparison.

ShadiWulf said:
hkx3s.jpg
How does Sonic even grind these days without SOAP shoes?

Grinchy

Banned
I was looking forward to this demo. I didn't find the classic Sonic stage that bad, but I didn't think it was very good either. The controls feel terrible. The modern sonic stage was just not for me. Oh well, another Sonic game I won't be buying. I don't know why I bother trying them anymore.

spindashing said:
How does Sonic even grind these days without SOAP shoes?

He didn't have SOAPs in the original SA2 demo even.

Edit: Wrong about Amy in Advance 2, although I think she does have the surfboard if she launches off of a rail jump.

TheOGB

Banned
ezodagrom said:
Some interesting stuff that appeared on the Steam registry (PC version), the Sonic Generations entry has been updated, and a new entry for the "primary cache" as been added, which shows that Sonic Generations most likely will be an 8.41GB download (8611MB/1024 = ~8.41GB).
It also shows that Sonic Generations will use an external tool to configure the game options.

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4008/sonicgenerationssteam2.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/chlqG.gif

GOD NO, PLEASE BE BETTER THAN SADX 2011's CONFIG

AND BY THAT I MEAN WORK

Ok guys, we're all friends here, right? Because I'm gonna be honest here

I watched the IGN footage and I...

...I fapped. Hard. Its EVERYWHERE, Jesus...

nns3d

Ozone said:
Well, I'm out of this thread until I play the game. Too many temptations.

Likewise, I probably won't pick this up until Thanksgiving and all of these spoilers are too tempting to not read :(

ezodagrom

TheOGB said:
chlqG.gif

GOD NO, PLEASE BE BETTER THAN SADX 2011's CONFIG

AND BY THAT I MEAN WORK
Well, SADX 2011 config tool actually works in the releases from stores other than Steam, it's only in Steam that it's broken.
Recently I found out how to fix the config tool for Steam's SADX, it's all because one single registry entry is not created when the game is installed through Steam.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2190387

Anyway, since Sonic Generations is being made for Steam, I doubt Generations will have issues similar to Steam's SADX.

Lijik

Box of Bunnies said:
The sheer power of his radical 'tude.
I played through portions of Sonic Adventure and Heroes for my friend last week (the latter mostly cause i hate myself) and every so often she'd have questions I could only answer with "Because he's Sonic the Hedgehog, thats why"

Forever replacing my answer with this, thanks.

TheOGB

Banned
ezodagrom said:
Well, SADX 2011 config tool actually works in the releases from stores other than Steam, it's only in Steam that it's broken.
Recently I found out how to fix the config tool for Steam's SADX, it's all because one single registry entry is not created when the game is installed through Steam.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2190387

Anyway, since Sonic Generations is being made for Steam, I doubt Generations will have issues similar to Steam's SADX.
Well shit, thanks.

So kinda off topic but I've been playing the Sonic Advance games recently (on my phone; GBA SP died and I can't find the charger :( but thank God for Android lol) and I'm actually having a lot of fun going through them again.

...Well mostly Advance 1; Advance 2 is still "ehh, okay" and Advance 3 is "meehhhh, music's good"

But FUCK YEAH SONIC BATTLE (and Pinball Party)

GooeyHeat

TheOGB said:
FUCK YEAH SONIC BATTLE
I love those classic side-scrollers as much as the next guy, but this is probably the Sonic game I've sunk the most hours into. It was so much fun turning Emerl from a useless clunker to an UNSTOPPABLE DEATH MACHINE (of hope).

Anth0ny

GooeyHeat said:
I love those classic side-scrollers as much as the next guy, but this is probably the Sonic game I've sunk the most hours into. It was so much fun turning Emerl from a useless clunker to an UNSTOPPABLE DEATH MACHINE (of hope).

Seriously. That game was addictive. Leveling up Emerl was awesome.

qq more

I didn't like Sonic Battle much outside of leveling up Emerl. That was really fun. I felt like a bastard when I made Emerl a one-hit killing machine.

Battle seems prime for a downloadable game revival. Party game, online brawler that doesn't require a ton of technical gameplay, can extend with the Sonic cast as much as they want, customized content in the form of Emerl, and it'd probably be cheaper and easier to at least make the fighter content by using polygon models instead of drawing a ton of custom sprites.

TheOGB

Banned
Just went back to Advance 1...

Jesus fucking Christ, Dimps

learn how to design levels, or at least place shit correctly

Like, it's not just enemies, it's EVERYTHING. Platforms, pulley shits, FUCKING SPIKES AND HAZARDS

GODDAMMIT, EASY MODE IN THE ADVANCE GAMES JUST GETS RID OF THE ENEMIES THAT ARE RIGHT IN THE FUCKING WAY FOR NO REASON, BUT THE OTHERS ARE STILL PUT IN WEIRD-ASS SPOTS

AND STOP PUTTING RETRACTABLE SPIKES AT THE TOP OF A SMALL INCLINE, BY THE TIME I GET BACK UP THERE THE SPIKES WILL COME BACK UP AND KILL ME

EDIT: Regarding the above post: take SSBBrawl Sonic, Brawl-ify everyone/everything else, Emerl/G-merl

is it weird that I want to see Emerl and G-merl fight if they're technically the same character

...i now realize how weird a name 'Emerl' is

J@hranimo

Banned
So I took a gander at that IGN video.

Perfect Chaos fight looks awesome. I am glad the boss battles will have some sort of "hard mode" because they are waaay too short.

Modern Crisis City is so intense. One of my new favorites now. I like how Crisis City is so messed up, and it's the perfect representation of Sonic 06: A great big mess.

J@hranimo

Banned
Kulock said:
Battle seems prime for a downloadable game revival. Party game, online brawler that doesn't require a ton of technical gameplay, can extend with the Sonic cast as much as they want, customized content in the form of Emerl, and it'd probably be cheaper and easier to at least make the fighter content by using polygon models instead of drawing a ton of custom sprites.

Do want! If Sega was extra cool, they would include some of the cast from Sonic The Fighters. Would love to see Bark or Bean back in action.

...I can dream right?

RagnarokX

Aaron Strife said:
It's
Genocide City.

:V
Actually Genocide City is Act 3 of Metropolis Zone and The Machine from Sonic Spinball.

Crisis City looks like it faithfully recreates the annoyingness of the mach speed sections.

Modern Sonic more powerful than Sonic Adventure Super Sonic.

The Xtortionist said:
Raise your hand if you're playing Sonic instead of UC3 on 11/1

*Raises hand*

Sorry Nathan.

Can't say I will have Generations in my posession at launch but I know I will own Generations before I own Uncharted 3. I'm in no hurry.

RagnarokX said:
Actually Genocide City is Act 3 of Metropolis Zone and The Machine from Sonic Spinball.

Crisis City looks like it faithfully recreates the annoyingness of the mach speed sections.

Modern Sonic more powerful than Sonic Adventure Super Sonic.
If you really want to get technical, Act 3 of Metropolis was a different level entirely called Cyber City.

Genocide City is a big bottomless pit, so basically it was the precursor to Sonic 06.

qq more

Nert said:
Finding out about this YouTube channel has been the best part about the hype leading up to this game's release.
He also uploaded more of his wonderful OSTs! None of them can match Labyrinth Zone's remastered theme though.

So... how are some of you playing this on the 1st?

Steam says the game won't be available for download until the 4th... I just assumed that if anything the people pre-ordering the downloadable version would be among the first to play.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SuperAngelo64 said:

Steam says the game won't be available for download until the 4th... I just assumed that if anything the people pre-ordering the downloadable version would be among the first to play.
Picking up the PS3 version on the 1st along with Uncharted 3, while Fate/Extra is being shipped to me. :)

It's a bit too bad I'll be a little busy next week post-Tuesday but I'm getting most of my work done on the weekend in order to get quite a bit of Fate/Extra and Generations in on weekdays next week.

Klaymator14 said:
this guy's a keeper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9--FbPts4i0 Sonic OVA impressions at 2:45
Ah, this little piece will need to be saved for home. But it's unfortunate that his rendition of Chemical Plant is a tad disappointing to me after his awesome Sonic 1 covers.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Played the PS3 demo yesterday and i'm a little disappointed. Is it just me or is the classic part going way too fast for the engine? I mean, everything was so blurry the whole time and I had trouble seeing what was going on in the level.

Hope the PC version will solve this...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
The Xtortionist said:
Raise your hand if you're playing Sonic instead of UC3 on 11/1

*Raises hand*

Sorry Nathan.

Drake is day 1 for me. Sonic.. I'll probably get it once it's clear it's a bomba and the price drops. Sorry old hog, but your game doesn't look like something I'd pay full price for.

J@hranimo

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:

Wake up. My friend and I are going to head to Gamestop and pick it up. Come back, play until my next class. After attending said class, will continue playing it for the rest of the day.

Oh and the platform is xbox 360.

SykoTech

Cut myself off of footage a while ago, but all of these comments on Crisis City, Perfect Chaos, and such are getting really tempting. Guess it's time to quit the thread.

.la1n

Combichristoffersen said:
Drake is day 1 for me. Sonic.. I'll probably get it once it's clear it's a bomba and the price drops. Sorry old hog, but your game doesn't look like something I'd pay full price for.

Same. I trust Naughty Dog to deliver a solid game, Sega/Sonic Team...yeeeeeah.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheOGB said:
Well shit, thanks.

So kinda off topic but I've been playing the Sonic Advance games recently (on my phone; GBA SP died and I can't find the charger :( but thank God for Android lol) and I'm actually having a lot of fun going through them again.

...Well mostly Advance 1; Advance 2 is still "ehh, okay" and Advance 3 is "meehhhh, music's good"

But FUCK YEAH SONIC BATTLE (and Pinball Party)
Yeah, Sonic Battle was a lot of fun back in the day.

scitek

I do video reviews for a small PC gaming site, and we've put a request in for a review copy of this. I don't know if we'll get one. I'm interested in how well it runs on my setup, and I'm hesitant to pre-order it because of that. I'd rather pre-order and get $5 off, though, if it's a good port.

Top Bottom