• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SomeDude said:
sorry to go off topic:

how much would it cost to buy a sega cd along with sonic cd? i would want to buy both boxed.

Most likely far more than what it'd be worth if you just want to play Sonic CD. You'd be betterr off getting the PC port, Sonic Gems Collection or the upcoming PSN/XBLA port (even though the PC/SGC ports arent 100% perfrct IIRC)

SomeDude

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
Most likely far more than what it'd be worth if you just want to play Sonic CD. You'd be betterr off getting the PC port, Sonic Gems Collection or the upcoming PSN/XBLA port (even though the PC/SGC ports arent 100% perfrct IIRC)

Just wondering, outside of Sonic CD is the sega cd really worth getting? If only a handful of games are worth it then I'll take your above suggestion

Duallusion said:
How many 2D acts/levels are there, per zone? More then one, I hope?

I really hope this and Rayman sells well enough; non-Nintendo platforms need more proper, meaty platformers!

1 per 'Zone' out of 2, so that's 9 2D levels and 9 3D levels.

Mindman

Can anyone link me to the high rez version of the Sonic 1&2 album art by chance? Can't find it buried in that other thread. :(

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SomeDude said:
Just wondering, outside of Sonic CD is the sega cd really worth getting? If only a handful of games are worth it then I'll take your above suggestion

Personally I wouldn't say the Sega CD is worth getting nowadays. I don't think there's a lot of great games available for it (but YMMV as I've never seen one, let alone owned one, myself), and the only games I'll remember it for is Sonic CD and a bunch of really crappy FMV games :p

Duallusion

Pureauthor said:
1 per 'Zone' out of 2, so that's 9 2D levels and 9 3D levels.

Ah, thanks. Wouldn't mind more (not a fan of "missions" on levels) but it'll have to do - just not as a full-price purchase. It'll be a perfect game to play 'round christmas time.

Personally I wouldn't say the Sega CD is worth getting nowadays. I don't think there's a lot of great games available for it (but YMMV as I've never seen one, let alone owned one, myself), and the only games I'll remember it for is Sonic CD and a bunch of really crappy FMV games :p

There are plenty of great games for the Sega CD. There are tons of crappy FMV games, true, but there were plenty of other worthwhile titles available for it that justify owning the system for.

MNC

US > JP Sonic CD OST.

*runs*

Bonus stage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRRHP1DfC_Y

Tidal Tempest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qBScpdwoqg&feature=related

And with that I ofcourse mean if there are any Sonic CD music in this?

edit: LOL STUPID ME, I forgot the best two songs

Stardust speedway bad future http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkLVddtjPCU&feature=related

Stardust speedway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj5oGfbqv1Y&feature=related

HOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME
METAL SONIC AND STARDUST SPEEDWAY ARE IN THIS GAME>!?!?!?!?

If you can get it cheap, the Sega CD is well worth owning, there's some really good games to get. It's not the best add on ever, but it's hardly the worst.

The 32X on the other hand....

Teknoman

MNC said:
US > JP Sonic CD OST.

*runs*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRRHP1DfC_Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qBScpdwoqg&feature=related

And with that I ofcourse mean if there are any Sonic CD music in this?

Music from both OST versions is in Generations.

Duallusion said:
Ah, thanks. Wouldn't mind more (not a fan of "missions" on levels) but it'll have to do - just not as a full-price purchase. It'll be a perfect game to play 'round christmas time.

Well the "3D" levels also have 2D segments in them, so theres that.

But if you've got a Wii, 3DS, and at least one HD system/PC, platforming heaven to be sure ( Mario 3D land, Kirby return to dreamland, Kirby Mass Attack, Sonic Generations HD, Rayman Origins, and maybe 3DS Generations if that turns out good).

MNC

I've calmed myself. I just saw a screenshot. Of
Metal Sonic and Sonic. ON BAD FUTURE STARDUST SPEEDWAY.

I MUST HAVE THIS GAME.

Teknoman

MNC said:
I've calmed myself. I just saw a screenshot. Of
Metal Sonic and Sonic. ON BAD FUTURE STARDUST SPEEDWAY.

I MUST HAVE THIS GAME.

Have you heard the US and JP Generations remixes for that area?

MNC

I've been on a reasonably low profile for this game other than it being a pretty good Sonic game so far.

And I just listened to them.

The US version is a bit overly techno for me with the background beat but by God this sounds good... Still listening... I hope the vocals kick in....
Okay so no vocals.
But this is just pure fanservice. *Both* OST variants in the game. Wow. What was that greenmangaming price again...

Teknoman

Im trying not to spoil myself too much, but i'll check the music tracks. Stage layouts though, I want to be surprised. Classic Speed Highway is awesome btw.

Oh and as far as the PC version goes...best case senario...the game will have a decent amount of expected PC graphics options and have an unlocked framerate. I just hope there arent any strange performance issues or graphic glitches.

Teknoman

The Xtortionist said:
I love how he boosts straight into a wall then bashes the controls.

Yeah that was pretty messed up. Reviewers need to learn not to boost 24/7 even when making small adjustments.

SomeDude

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
There are plenty of great games for the Sega CD. There are tons of crappy FMV games, true, but there were plenty of other worthwhile titles available for it that justify owning the system for.

Can you make a list when you get time? thanks

J@hranimo

Banned
So I was listening to the White World songs on youtube. Can't believe they chose
Eggman Theme from SA2
for Egg Dragoon :O

Still freaking out to all of these songs getting leaked.

Cafeman

YMMV is true. I've always enjoyed it. If you like 16bit 90's games you will find some fun stuff that is mostly different from the versions on Genesis and SNES. and even the games which are mostly identical to the Genesis versions (like pitfallMayanAdventure and mickeyMania) usually have better CD music and more levels and/or voice samples. Fyi.

JonCha

Teknoman said:
Yeah that was pretty messed up. Reviewers need to learn not to boost 24/7 even when making small adjustments.
It comes down to him being unskilled. Watch the Modern Green Hill video on YouTube: he sucks. The game shouldn't suffer because he is lacking skill. Dark/Demon's Souls certainly didn't.

I read the text review today and noticed frame rate was a negative of the game for the PS3, and it still got an 8.5. Hopefully whoever is reviewing for Gamespot will do both versions and the 360 will edge into a 9.

Also, the title needs to be updated with the IGN score. People are definitely getting interested.

Duallusion said:
Unleashed had a ton of DLC missions added which were remixes of the areas and levels already in the game, I expect generations to follow suit.

Better then nothing I guess, new zone dlc would be awesome.

SomeDude

Banned
Cafeman said:
YMMV is true. I've always enjoyed it. If you like 16bit 90's games you will find some fun stuff that is mostly different from the versions on Genesis and SNES. and even the games which are mostly identical to the Genesis versions (like pitfallMayanAdventure and mickeyMania) usually have better CD music and more levels and/or voice samples. Fyi.

Can you make a list of great sega cd games please?

TheOGB

Banned
J@hranimo said:
So I was listening to the White World songs on youtube. Can't believe they chose
Eggman Theme from SA2
for Egg Dragoon :O

Still freaking out to all of these songs getting leaked.
Holy shit, what

Oh wait, in the Hub?

Peff

SomeDude said:
Can you make a list of great sega cd games please?

Off the top of my head you have Sonic CD (I don't like it all that much but I guess it has to be named), the only version of Snatcher in English, Shining Force CD, both Lunar games (The Silver Star and Eternal Blue), Soul Star, Road Avenger, Dark Wizard, Robo Aleste, Lords of Thunder, Eternal Champions, Popful Mail, Silpheed and some cool ports of other systems like Final Fight CD, Ecco The Dolphin, Mickey Mania or Flashback. I'm probably forgetting some and not all of these have likely aged of that gracefully for a first-timer but that should give you a decent idea about the system.

Anth0ny

I had a dream where I got the game, but I could only play the 3D stages. Classic Sonic stages were nowhere to be found.

More like a NIGHTMARE.

SomeDude

Banned
Peff said:
Off the top of my head you have Sonic CD (I don't like it all that much but I guess it has to be named), the only version of Snatcher in English, Shining Force CD, both Lunar games (The Silver Star and Eternal Blue), Soul Star, Road Avenger, Dark Wizard, Robo Aleste, Lords of Thunder, Eternal Champions, Popful Mail, Silpheed and some cool ports of other systems like Final Fight CD, Ecco The Dolphin, Mickey Mania or Flashback. I'm probably forgetting some and not all of these have likely aged of that gracefully for a first-timer but that should give you a decent idea about the system.

thank you!

Teknoman

...OMG
Hydrocity
Zone music is in! I gotta know where this is used. I bet its one of the Chemical Plant or Seaside Hill extra missions.

Teknoman

Btw Tropical Resort confirmed for 3DS colors stage.

EDIT: IGN shouldnt be faulted for using Sonic Spinball music
The remix for toxic caverns is actually
in the game.

RagnarokX

Teknoman said:
...OMG
Hydrocity
Zone music is in! I gotta know where this is used. I bet its one of the Chemical Plant or Seaside Hill extra missions.
It's a pretty terrible remix though, and it's Act 1. Act 2 is the good stuff.
Teknoman said:
Btw Tropical Resort confirmed for 3DS colors stage.

EDIT: IGN shouldnt be faulted for using Sonic Spinball music
The remix for toxic caverns is actually
in the game.
And IGN is a toxic cave.

Teknoman

RagnarokX said:
It's a pretty terrible remix though, and it's Act 1. Act 2 is the good stuff.

And IGN is a toxic cave.

True but i'll take what I can get. I'm just glad one of the themes is in the game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
SomeDude said:
The only games I still have and the games that are worth owning in my opinion are sonic ( of course), ecco the dolphin/tides of time, winds of thunder, final fight, and lunar 1 + 2.

My mega CD broke a while ago so I just emulate the games now.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I think Sonic 12 should be a sequel to Sonic 06, what does SonicGAF think?

Teknoman

Dr Eggman said:
I think Sonic 12 should be a sequel to Sonic 06, what does SonicGAF think?

jb1jgVR3ZyQwfE.png

SomeDude

Banned
luka said:
The only games I still have and the games that are worth owning in my opinion are sonic ( of course), ecco the dolphin/tides of time, winds of thunder, final fight, and lunar 1 + 2.

My mega CD broke a while ago so I just emulate the games now.

Yeah, I've heard the sega cd version of snatcher is the best version as well.

Cafeman

Peff said:

Good list though some of those are hard to find (affordably). Also, there are Sega CD 2 games with great 16-bit scaling - Batman Returns (driving levels) , and Cliffhanger (snowboard levels). There are ways to play only these levels if you don't like the more traditional 2D platforming stuff. Both are really fun, and UNIQUE games that were pretty impressive in the day.

Also, speaking of Sonic, there is a hobbyist game called Sonic MegaMix which you can burn your own CD for free - its really sweet , kind of a mix of all the 2D early Sonics . If you get a Sega CD, you gotta try this one.

Anth0ny

Cafeman said:
Also, speaking of Sonic, there is a hobbyist game called Sonic MegaMix which you can burn your own CD for free - its really sweet , kind of a mix of all the 2D early Sonics . If you get a Sega CD, you gotta try this one.

Best Sega CD game!

Peff said:
Keio Flying Squadron!

Lords of Thunder was a PCE port btw. I'd rank Sega CD pretty highly, especially as far as add-ons go.

J@hranimo

Banned
Top Bottom