• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
.la1n said:
Another year passes and Sonic Team churns out another turd. Speaking of which, there non crap Sonic CD port - when is that coming out?

I think it was supposed to come out sometime towards the end of this year.

Ty4on

Chao said:
Funny thing, I thought Sonic 3 was the worst of all classic super sonic themes, it's like a ten seconds loop with the most repetitive music ever.
Well, I haven't listened to it for much longer than ten seconds, maybe there is an advantage to being as boring as the knuckles one :p

Diablohead said:
more like 5-6 seconds, really repetitive.
Ten second loop actually, but it's more like two five second loops with a slight difference. The S&K was six seconds while S2's was 20.

RobbieNick

JonCha said:
Er, thread title update with IGN? The duty of the creator is to be on top of this.

I did add IGN as an edit, but it doesn't change the title. Once it's in it's in.

.la1n said:
Another year passes and Sonic Team churns out another turd. Speaking of which, there non crap Sonic CD port - when is that coming out?

It hasn't gotten anything below an 8 yet. How is it a turd?

Rlan

Spoiling myself silly on Youtube
I kind of like the added abilities you get with classic Sonic when playing the Espio and Vector levels. In those Espio flings you like a candy in Cut The Rope, and Vector throws you like a Yoshi egg :p

JonCha

Really worried that review next week could be bad from lots of places, especially Gamespot and GiantBomb. Not sure why -- nothing more than a gut feeling, I suppose.

Reknoc

So, uh, I've been listening to bits and pieces of the soundtrack and, uh, I kinda don't like it.

Though it'd be more accurate to say I find it pretty inconsistent. Some tracks are amazing for Classic, some are pretty good for both, nearly all are bad for Modern, and some are bad for both (despite being based on what was an amazing track). Some of these tracks just sound like noise, a mistreated guitar being beaten to sound a bit like the stages original music.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
JonCha said:
Really worried that review next week could be bad from lots of places, especially Gamespot and GiantBomb. Not sure why -- nothing more than a gut feeling, I suppose.

So? If you like it, what does it matter?

Guys, the majority of these reviews will amount to "LOL SONIC *fart noises* ehhhhhh 7/10.". The quicker we accept this, the quicker we can get to buying the game and liking it.

JonCha

Lijik said:
Giant Bomb has never reviewed a Sonic game.
Worrying about them is incredibly irrational
Yeah, I forgot Jeff is 'done with Sonic' (which he said) and seems to bar anybody from doing any Sonic coverage/they just don't give a shit. They will probably do a Quick Look though.

dvolovets

I have a question about the amount of content in the game (not really a spoiler, but ehh) --
9 zones with 2 acts each doesn't seem like a whole lot. How many missions are there, and do they have the same level design as the acts?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
balladofwindfishes said:
Oh god...oh god...I'm ten years old again, and I've just come back from Office Max with
The Sonic and Knuckles Collection
for the ancient Dell that my grandfather gave us....I have a vague idea that Sonic the Hedgehog is a popular character....my young life is about to change forever....

The_Technomancer said:
Oh god...oh god...I'm ten years old again, and I've just come back from Office Max with
The Sonic and Knuckles Collection
for the ancient Dell that my grandfather gave us....I have a vague idea that Sonic the Hedgehog is a popular character....my young life is about to change forever....
You had that too?! It felt so weird to have a Sonic game on the PC back then.

Chao

Guys, guys. You thought Sonic 4 was bad when you first played it? I tried to play that piece of shit right after playing classic Sonic in Generations, just for a quick comparison. It feels SO wrong, makes you realize about the actual effort they've put into Generations, even lacking proper Mega Drive physics. I dare you, just play the Sonic 4 demo, it's even worse than what you remember.

Green Scar said:
Guys, the majority of these reviews will amount to "LOL SONIC *fart noises* ehhhhhh 7/10.". The quicker we accept this, the quicker we can get to buying the game and liking it.

I don't know why that review made me laugh so hard, I just pictured someone saying that outloud for a serious review and it made me LOL

qq more

dvolovets said:
I have a question about the amount of content in the game (not really a spoiler, but ehh) --
9 zones with 2 acts each doesn't seem like a whole lot. How many missions are there, and do they have the same level design as the acts?
There's 10 missions per world. (5 for each Sonics) And no, the level design is different.

AwakenedCloud said:
You had that too?! It felt so weird to have a Sonic game on the PC back then.

I also had it, it came on cd rom with a screen saver and shit loads of desktop backgrounds too if i remember rightly. great stuff

qq more

.la1n said:
Never. You called Generations a turd, now Sega is crying.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!

EDIT: I had nearly every classic Sonic PC port. Sonic & Knuckles Collection, Sonic CD, Sonic R and Sonic 3D Blast. ...Actually, I had all of them.

Zen

Banned
qq more said:
There's 10 missions per world. (5 for each Sonics) And no, the level design is different.

That's very reasonable. The optional missions have been a great idea since we started seeing them.

RagnarokX

I just went to eat lunch and encountered this:

8vsn86.jpg

TimmiT

Kulock said:
I think Green Scar already posted it.

I mean, Destructoid's the site Sega's literally given up on, and started trolling with each Sonic release. Remember when they sent that giant Colors banner just to mess with them?
I wouldn't say SEGA's "given up" on them. Jim Sterling gave Sonic 4 Episode 1 and Sonic Colours DS positive reviews and he's said that he likes the Generations demo.

Reknoc said:
So, uh, I've been listening to bits and pieces of the soundtrack and, uh, I kinda don't like it.

Though it'd be more accurate to say I find it pretty inconsistent. Some tracks are amazing for Classic, some are pretty good for both, nearly all are bad for Modern, and some are bad for both (despite being based on what was an amazing track). Some of these tracks just sound like noise, a mistreated guitar being beaten to sound a bit like the stages original music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2KOJSbVbH0

Best modern tune for me so far.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Kulock said:
I mean, Destructoid's the site Sega's literally given up on, and started trolling with each Sonic release. Remember when they sent that giant Colors banner just to mess with them?

Green Scar said:
If SEGA trolls Destructoid, it's only because Destructoid trolls SEGA. Remember Jim Sterling's trip to Sonic's E3 birthday party?

Tell me more about this.

Is it wrong I absolutely adore this game's soundtrack? I think the inconsistent tone all of it has is rather fitting, considering the different kind of games Generations is covering; 'blue skies' to 'epic adventure' to 'final fantasy melodrama with hedgehogs' to 'Saturday morning cartoon shenanigans in an interstellar amusement park' is pretty much impossible to properly tie just one feeling down across the board.

Also whoever it is that has that wacky Miyamoto avi and mentioned Rooftop Run classic, getting me to play it is right, it's excellent. Both Stardust Speedways, the Crisis Cities and the surprising addition of Toxic Caves are also favorites (though damn I wish there was more SCD content now, if only for more remixes).

Kulock said:

I remember Sega inviting them to their offices complete with a cake with "4.5" written in icing on it.

gray_fox224

Is the Sonic Gaf contingent basically waiting out for the reviews or has it been established that this will be the best Sonic since, well, 2 or 3?

gray_fox224 said:
Is the Sonic Gaf contingent basically waiting out for the reviews or has it been established that this will be the best Sonic since, well, 2 or 3?
Sonic Colors?

We're waiting for sure, but initial reviews are on the good side.

Teknoman

.la1n said:

Actually no. Generations is in no way, shape, or form a turd. Neither was Colors for that matter.

Malajax

gray_fox224 said:

Little from column A and a little from column B it seems.

Looks like the people waiting on reviews have been down on Sonic for a long time. On the other hand, those satisfied with Colors probably have enough evidence to see that Generations will eclipse expectations.

gray_fox224 said:

Sonic Gaf has pretty much already decided this game will be great.

Top Bottom