• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

JonCha

7echnicolor said:
Destructoid's review is up. Generations got an 8/10.
As I though. He couldn't resist hating in some parts tho lol.

And why do reviewers seem to find it so difficult to manage both playstyles? I literally have no problems.

Tyeforce

So, what's everyone's favorite era out of the three represented in Generations (Classic, Adventure, and Modern)?

Mine is definitely the Adventure era (what I consider to be Sonic Adventure through Shadow the Hedgehog). There's a sense of exploration in Adventure 1 and 2, Heroes, and Shadow that the modern 3D Sonic games lack. Don't get me wrong, I love the newer fast-paced gameplay and all, but I also miss the slower, more adventure based gameplay with different playable characters. And I never really cared much for the 2D games. Just not my type of game, I guess. Though I did enjoy the Advance and Rush games.

I also really like how the games in the Adventure era (both console and handheld) are a lot more plot driven and actually link together in the continuity. Like Shadow's story spanning from Sonic Adventure 2, to Sonic Heroes, to Shadow the Hedgehog, and finishing up in Sonic Battle.

Also, Chao.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
JonCha said:
As I though. He couldn't resist hating in some parts tho lol.

And why do reviewers seem to find it so difficult to manage both playstyles? I literally have no problems.
Because they are drastically different. Which is why I like the game it's like two games in one :D

Mengetsu

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Matts Legacy said:
I know this is about the game and abit off topic but has anyone seen the teaser trailers for the fanfilm there doing for the 20th anniversary as well? Seems darkly themed by the second trailer.

Sonic Fan Film - 20th Anniversary Teaser
Teaser 1:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRSDl2mEHQc&feature=related
Teaser 2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3gonsnXabQ

On topic my friend will be getting this and iv been seeing allot of media for this and played the demo. It looking really well.
eggman seems kinda out of character. D: but movies do take their own spin on things who knows :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
CVG Review - 7.5/10

With other fan appeal and Chaos Emeralds coming from showdowns with Sonic's rivals - Shadow, Silver, and Metal - and familiar bosses like the Death Egg Robot and the rather-too-similar Perfect Chaos - Generations is a great game for pressing out the fluids from a hyperactive nostalgia gland. Sonic Generations hits its target well - with the genuinely bruising qualification that it can frequently be difficult to look at.

I can kind of see that.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles was brilliant, but it was a culmination of what had come before - which was fine since it was always an improvement. But 3/Knuckles are the only games in the series that'd I say stand out as top ranked games.

I still love 1/2/CD, but I can see their faults.

Throavium

His comment doesn't make sense in the context of a review comment section. He said, "even", as if the reviewer overrated Sonic Generations by giving it a 7/10.

Paracelsus

Why the infamous Uncharted 3 review caused that outrage while this

While the original Sonic is supposed to be old-school 2D gameplay, don't expect the pure faithfulness of Sonic 4.

goes unnoticed and unpunished? It's not even a matter of de gustibus, it's being wrong.

JonCha

Sir_Crocodile said:
Which review was that.

CVG. I noticed this too -- totally wrong.

The reviews are decent, but don't really seem too bothered (especially Gamesradar and CVG). No mention of the soundtrack or the hub world, which, to me, are incredible, and just a general brush over.

And at the point Gamesradar gave Sonic 4 a 9, I really took no notice of him. A 9?!

Still waiting for Gamespot and Edge to get a proper idea.

Edit: and Metro gave 4, Colours and Generations a 7. Yeah, right.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Meristation Review (Spanish) - 8.5/10

Conclusion translated with some liberties:
"In conclusion, Sonic Generations is SEGA's promise to return to high standards, and we can say they have fulfilled that promise. We were faced with a great, varied and frenetic platforming adventure, boasting two rich, rewarding gameplay styles. All of this, accompanied by visuals and sound at a level which will remind fans of the great moments throughout Sonic's history. This cocktail is garnished with a lot of extras and challenges, and thus it is a satisfying title will be beneficial to fans of the blue blur. The story mode is a bit short, and the boss count is a bit low, but its virtues outweigh the flaws listed, and it is an essential title for fans of Sonic the Hedgehog--it seems like it marks the way forward [for the series]."

German site GamingXP - 8/10
They reviewed the 360 version.

Pros: 2 Sonics--2 gameplay styles, RPG elements (I assume they refer to the buying of skills), lots of replayability value, extremely enjoyable atmosphere, there's something for everyone in this game, can be challenging.

Cons: controls might be iffy, loading times, might be a little too challenging at times

Percentage distribution: Graphics (77), Music (82), Control (65), Atmosphere (85)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SuperAngelo64 said:
To be honest I think Sonic 1 is significantly worse than most of the post-2000 games.

Man I think all Sonic games are worse than most Mario games, and even I know this is wrong.

Someone give this user Willy's tag.

Sir_Crocodile said:
Gamecentral's review is up.

One of a very few publications I actually trust. Sounds ok, but given their issues with the 2D parts, not at full price. I'll probably actually buy this for once when it drops.
Not that I don't appreciate the review being more in-depth and critical than some of the other sites being posted here that are just gushing over the classic Sonic nolstagia and little else, but that reviewer equating Generation's 2D levels to Sonic 4 is ridiculous.

I've never been too big on the first Sonic myself, to the point where I prefer the master system/Game Gear version.
Bridge and Jungle>Marble Zone and Spring Yard Zone
Though I haven't played the MS one in years so i'm likely way off base

qq more

Nocturnowl said:
I've never been too big on the first Sonic myself, to the point where I prefer the master system/Game Gear version.
As much I enjoyed Sonic 1 GEN... I have to agree that the Master System version is a bit more fun.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Nocturnowl said:

Although the 8-bit version of Sonic had some interesting stuff in it (auto-scrolling level, vertically scrolling level, a map screen to track your progress between acts and the first appearance of Robotnik's airship base), I definitely think the 16-bit version is the superior version. The 8-bit version is still very good though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Now Gamer/GamesTM - 7.9/10 (PS3 version)

Aside from those missteps, however, Sonic Generations is a genuine delight. Sure, we could do without the need to complete three challenge levels before being allowed to move on to the next series of proper stages, but with a whopping 90 of such levels on the disc there’s at least a ton of extra playable content here for those that fall in love with Sonic Generations.

Those who are just along for the main ride will find it’s one of the best Sonic games in recent years. The dichotomy of play styles breathes new life into favourite stages as they’re re-envisioned and redesigned for Sonics they were never originally intended for.

Meanwhile, some genuinely imaginative and exciting level design recaptures that core thrill - of rolling a hedgehog around a colourful fantasy world – that endeared so many to Sonic two decades ago.

Now Gamer - 8.4/10 (X360 Version)

A brilliantly designed and painstakingly fan-pleasing exploration of Sonic’s history, with most of the failures cut out. While the 2D platforming could be peppier, it stands in thoughtful contrast to the surprisingly rollicking 3D sections. A field day for fans, and a damn good platformer in its own right.

videogamer.com - 8/10

As positively nostalgic as all of this is, it's not surprising to find that Sonic Generations' emulation of past greats extends to its duration. Despite the fact that there are nine main stages per Sonic, seven bosses and ten side-missions per Zone, it will take an experienced fan just a few hours to blast through to the main ending.

That's about the only blight on what is otherwise a fantastic trip down memory lane. Sonic Team should be commended for really doing its homework, resulting in the best Sonic the Hedgehog experience in at least 10 years. After this and Sonic Colours, it's time we stopped talking about the Sonic franchise as one with a troubled past. The blue blur is back, and he's rocking the platforming world once again. For fans of Sonic and platformers alike, this is absolutely essential.

SuperAngelo64 said:
To be honest I think Sonic 1 is significantly worse than most of the post-2000 games.

And don't feel bad for having an opinion.

I know this is the interwebs, but there is such a thing as unpopular opinion, and that's neither a wrong or right one, it's called an opinion for a reason.

Just like I prefer the Adventure series over the 2D games, maybe that's because I started with them and played the 2D ones in Mega Collection, but that is MY opinion, and I won't call out others for having different ones.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hero of Legend said:
And don't feel bad for having an opinion.

I know this is the interwebs, but there is such a thing as unpopular opinion, and that's neither a wrong or right one, it's called an opinion for a reason.

Just like I prefer the Adventure series over the 2D games, maybe that's because I started with them and played the 2D ones in Mega Collection, but that is MY opinion, and I won't call out others for having different ones.
That's because your opinion is wrong too.

;)

Astrosanity said:
Not that I don't appreciate the review being more in-depth and critical than some of the other sites being posted here that are just gushing over the classic Sonic nolstagia and little else, but that reviewer equating Generation's 2D levels to Sonic 4 is ridiculous.

Gamecentral are talking specifically about the physics. They said the actual level design was better.

Paracelsus

Sir_Crocodile said:
Gamecentral are talking specifically about the physics. They said the actual level design was better.

Level design is crafted around the physics (yuck) and overall gameplay (homing), making their point invalid by default.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, finally a language I know competently.

Jeux Vidéo Network - 16/20
SEGA confirms their mascot's return to form with Sonic Generations. While the game suffers from some minor gameplay issues and framerate issues, the game is no less beautiful and has a ton of fanservice. With its dual gameplay scheme, Sonic Generations is a worthy celebration of Sonic the Hedgehog's history on home consoles, designed for both nostalgic fans and newcomers alike.

Pros: Two Sonics in one game, very visually-pleasing, lots of fanservice

Cons: Sonic is sometimes tough to control ("Sonic sometimes goes where he wants"), framerate issues, narrative is a bit simple

Yeah, GC's review is fine, I've seen plenty of people saying the classic Sonic physics are somewhat wrong, as GC wrote people will say. Plus, their reviews are always fine, because they're awesome

JonCha

A quick tally of the scores (and halving Jeux's, so it's 8/10) comes out at 70.9/100. Though without halving Jeux's you have 78.9/100, which is more accurate. Sonic Colours holds 78/100 on Metacritic, so we're level at this point, while Sonic 4 is at 81/100.

Edit: Sonic 4 holds 72/100 on the 360 and PS3. Wii version (81) has less pro reviews.

Edit 2: new scores totalled equals just under 80 and, divided by 9 (# of reviews) comes out of an average score at 8.8. Divided by 10 we have 7.9.

GrizzNKev

Banned
ZoddGutts said:
Yeah looks like I'm cancelling my preorder. Will wait for 5 dollar Christmas deal on Steam.

I hope you're joking. 8/10 PREORDER CANCELLED

I am a bit upset that I have to wait until Friday for the PC version. For a moment, I was tempted to go get the 360 one instead, but the difference in price would be an issue.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SuperAngelo64 said:
What? How?

Sonic 1 is definitely my least favorite of the Genesis games, but it's still a solid platformer with precise controls and varied level design. You seem to think that it is SIGNIFICANTLY worse than MOST of the post-2000 games?

Wow.

ZoddGutts

Not really but honestly thought it would be having higher scores. I liked Colors and all but felt it still could have been better. Hoping Generations is better.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
JonCha said:
A quick tally of the scores (and halving Jeux's, so it's 8/10) comes out at 70.9/100. Though without halving Jeux's you have 78.9/100, which is more accurate. Sonic Colours holds 78/100 on Metacritic, so we're level at this point, while Sonic 4 is at 81/100.

Edit: Sonic 4 holds 72/100 on the 360 and PS3. Wii version (81) has less pro reviews.
I noticed that Now Gamer had two reviews on their site for Sonic Generations, one for the 360 version (which I have now added to that particular post) and one for the PS3 version (the one in the calculation). The PS3 version scored lower than the 360 version (different reviewers, seems like).

Hah, I hope when I wake up things haven't fallen apart in here because of reviews yet to be posted (ie: Eurogamer, GameSpot, etc).

JonCha

Dark Schala said:
I noticed that Now Gamer had two reviews on their site for Sonic Generations, one for the 360 version (which I have now added to that particular post) and one for the PS3 version (the one in the calculation). The PS3 version scored lower than the 360 version (different reviewers, seems like).

Hah, I hope when I wake up things haven't fallen apart in here because of reviews yet to be posted (ie: Eurogamer, GameSpot, etc).

I'm surprised more sites haven't done this to be honest. I'm guessing Gamespot will.

Edited into post changes in total score/average score. Total sum (79.3) / # of reviews (9) = 8.8. 79.3 (out of 100) / 10 = 7.9/10. The first sum is the more accurate, so at this point we have comfortably one of the best Sonic games. Not sure what the reviews were for Sonic 1-3, but I imagine at least 1 was incredible at the time.

Paracelsus said:
Level design is crafted around the physics (yuck) and overall gameplay (homing), making their point invalid by default.

Uh, not really. The actual design of the levels in S4E1 was not that good.

The physics in 4 were bad irrespective of the levels they were designed to serve - for example lack of inertia when not holding down a direction says nothing of the level design but was a major black mark against it.

Conversely you can have the most imaginitive levels design in the world but have the controls of the character navigating that world so bad as to ruin the entire thing. Their statement that both level design and physics were flawed before and that level design in generations is much improved is perfectly valid.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Sir_Crocodile said:
The physics in 4 were bad irrespective of the levels they were designed to serve - for example lack of inertia when not holding down a direction says nothing of the level design but was a major black mark against it.

And that specific issue is where I drew the line and decided it wasn't a Sonic game.

Top Bottom