• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

.la1n

Stephen Stills said:
... What? I obviously haven't played this yet, but it seems to be earning praise from reviewers.

Having played the game in it's entirety I feel like I am entitled to an opinion here. The 3D sections are okay, it's an improvement on the same Colors, Unleashed formula they have been using forever. I imagine it's as close as Sonic Team will EVER get to bringing Sonic to 3D and they have still failed miserably compared to Nintendo's transition of it's mascots. The 2D sections are the usual mess, the camera is a constant annoyance, frame rate is unacceptable considering what little the game is doing and for god sake will they just hire someone who can make a proper physics engine already?

Can you have fun with this game? Of course you can - I can have fun with Sonic 4 Episode 1 but does that mean I should just overlook the glaring issues? No.

Teknoman said:
Actually no. Generations is in no way, shape, or form a turd. Neither was Colors for that matter.

I am sorry if I hit a nerve. It is a turd to me. Colors was also pretty much the same. I don't know if it's disillusioned fans or what. These games have very little polish, the physics are universally terrible and it seems they have become artistically bankrupt.

I call it like I see, I don't ask everyone to agree with me - in fact I do not expect the majority to. This is a forum, a gaming forum and I will give my opinion. If you have played the entirety of the game I'd like to hear yours as well. It's what we are all here for.

I thought colors was pretty much an average platformer. The kind that would have been just background noise back in the nes/snes days when nintendo, capcom & sega et all were making a lot of quality examples of the genre.

I wouldn't say it was bad, just that there was nothing there that particularly enthralled me.
Generations sounds a bit of a step up, but I won't know for a few months I guess.

I love you, GAF.

But no... I wasn't trolling.

I think the game is a bit too slow to sell the gimmick of Sonic being 'fast'. I don't think the levels (as in 'high/low path') in the stages were executed very well. I think the graphics are a bit ugly, and the soundtrack is mediocre (when compared to the games that came out later).

I don't think these features were really hammered out until Sonic 2, and they pretty much defined the series. Sonic 2 and 3 are fucking masterpieces.

ViewtifulJC said:
Sonic 1: SIGNIFICANTLY worse then Sonic 2006, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Heroes, and Sonic and the Secret Rings.

Wow

I said most of them, not all of them.

But yeah... Sonic Heroes was better imo.

Shadow the Hedgehog actually wasn't a terrible game if you cut out the terrible music, ridiculous story, and... well... Shadow. It was a fun and twitchy shooter that had morality-based story progression. You can't deny that some aspects of it would be cool with a different coat of paint.

Big One

Banned
.la1n said:
I am sorry if I hit a nerve. It is a turd to me. Colors was also pretty much the same. I don't know if it's disillusioned fans or what. These games have very little polish, the physics are universally terrible and it seems they have become artistically bankrupt.

I call it like I see, I don't ask everyone to agree with me - in fact I do not expect the majority to. This is a forum, a gaming forum and I will give my opinion. If you have played the entirety of the game I'd like to hear yours as well. It's what we are all here for.
Have you actually played Colors?

andymcc

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:

Shadow the Hedgehog actually wasn't a terrible game if you cut out the terrible music, ridiculous story, and... well... Shadow. It was a fun and twitchy shooter that had morality-based story progression. You can't deny that some aspects of it would be cool with a different coat of paint.

i had to bring my trash can over to my desk to finish this post. can't do it without vomiting.

.la1n

Big One said:
Have you actually played Colors?

Yes? I guess I did not clarify that. I applaud the different direction they took things aesthetically but it was still unpolished and sub par in the realm of platformers.

SuperAngelo64 said:
I love you, GAF.

I think the game is a bit too slow to sell the gimmick of Sonic being 'fast'. I don't think the levels (as in 'high/low path') in the stages were executed very well. I think the graphics are a bit ugly, and the soundtrack is mediocre (when compared to the games that came out later).

I don't think these features were really hammered out until Sonic 2, and they pretty much defined the series. Sonic 2 and 3 are fucking masterpieces.

I agree with all your points save for the music one(starlighttttttttttttttt) & speed, which I'll get to in a min, but even given these problems I can't think of any post MD sonic games I'd rather play instead.

With regards to speed, I somewhat agree that sometimes sonic felt a bit too slow. The spindash option in the saturn version allayed quite a bit of it I feel, save for the bits that were induced out of necessity due to level design(most of the marble zone for example).

SuperAngelo64 said:

Can't agree here at all though. The only games I think have redeeming features are the adventure games or colors. I was kinda shocked when heroes came out, I was expecting a refined version of adventure.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SuperAngelo64 said:
I love you, GAF.

Personally I think Sonic 1 has both better graphics and (overall better) music than Sonic 3&K. That's not to say S3&K is bad (in fact it's very, very good, I just don't like it as much as Sonic 1 and 2), but the graphics look so.. grainy, and Sonic's new sprite is ugly. As for the music, there's some good to great stuff there (Lava Reef act 1 has what is possibly the single best music in the classic trilogy), but there's also some really bland and forgettable stuff in there.

And calling Sonic Heroes better than Sonic 1? If there ever was a time for me to go ly dow, it would be now :|

Berordn said:
I seriously wonder how many people here have played Shadow. It wasn't a great game if only thanks to their thematic choices, but it was Sonic Adventure 2 style platforming and infinitely superior to what would follow it. I liked the gameplay enough to unlock Hard Mode and that was actually pretty fun to plow through.

(That said I think Generations looks better than anything that came out last gen)

I've played Shadow. It's not the worst game ever, but trying to make a Sonic character look cool and edgy by giving him guns and motorcycles and having him curse is a terrible idea in itself. The gameplay is sort of the same as the Adventure games, but with added shootan, and the levels, at least as far as I bothered playing, were kinda.. eh. Not terrible, but pretty boring, really. That said, even Sonic Heroes was better.

Berordn

andymcc said:
i had to bring my trash can over to my desk to finish this post. can't do it without vomiting.
I seriously wonder how many people here have played Shadow. It wasn't a great game if only thanks to their thematic choices, but it was Sonic Adventure 2 style platforming and infinitely superior to what would follow it. I liked the gameplay enough to unlock Hard Mode and that was actually pretty fun to plow through.

(That said I think Generations looks better than anything that came out last gen)

I got up to, oh, say lets the fifth real mission in Shadow the Hedgehog. After all the battling with the camera and getting on with the terrible music and story, the game just glitched the fuck up and erased my save file. All of that mediocre gameplaying...for nothing.

Screw that game

WillyFive

Combichristoffersen said:
Personally I think Sonic 1 has both better graphics and (overall better) music than Sonic 3&K. That's not to say S3&K is bad (in fact it's very, very good, I just don't like it as much as Sonic 1 and 2), but the graphics look so.. grainy, and Sonic's new sprite is ugly. As for the music, there's some good to great stuff there (Lava Reef act 1 has what is possibly the single best music in the classic trilogy), but there's also some really bland and forgettable stuff in there.

I think Sonic 3K was a great improvement over the previous two Sonic games. I don't see the 'grainy' complaints, but the game did look a lot more detailed and better looking. I don't see how the Sonic sprite is 'ugly', since it also looked better than it did before. The music was amazing as well, second only to Sonic 1 (when talking about Genesis games).

But Sonic Heroes began the decline of the Sonic series for me.

Sonic 3 sprite is all fat with his big white hands. I prefer the earlier incarnations. I prefer the Sonic 2 model

sonics_standing_b.png

sonics_running_b.png

andymcc

Banned
Berordn said:

it was the praise for Shadow the Hedgehog coupled with the Sonic 1 comment that made the comment distasteful, not simply praising Shadow.

I hope people don't see what I said as 'praising Shadow'...

That's pretty misconstrued.

ViewtifulJC said:
Sonic 3 sprite is all fat with his big white hands. I prefer the earlier incarnations. I prefer the Sonic 2 model

sonics_standing_b.png

sonics_running_b.png

Where are the sprites on the very right from?!?! Those are hideous.

Lijik

Berordn said:
I seriously wonder how many people here have played Shadow. It wasn't a great game if only thanks to their thematic choices
As someone who played all of it and even spent the nine minutes in the last boss battle to hear the eggman easter egg, the forced edginess was the only thing enjoyable about it.
It wasn't a great game because of the awful controls mixed with mediocre repetitive mission/stage design, and lazy graphics that really were dreamcast level in spots.

Saying "Well its not Sonic 2006!" is the faintest of all faint praises.

andymcc said:

But I also went on to say that it's presentation was ridiculous and awful. I guess it's kind of hard to really get what's being said when the game is called "Shadow the Hedgehog". I thought you were implying I liked the character, because I really don't see the appeal.

I still stand by what I said about it's core gameplay though.

Combichristoffersen

Willy105 said:
I think Sonic 3K was a great improvement over the previous two Sonic games. I don't see the 'grainy' complaints, but the game did look a lot more detailed and better looking. I don't see how the Sonic sprite is 'ugly', since it also looked better than it did before. The music was amazing as well, second only to Sonic 1 (when talking about Genesis games).

If you compare the graphics of Sonic 3 to Sonic 1 and 2, the latter two have a 'cleaner' look to them IMO.

Ghz.png

Emeraldhill.png

30695-sonic-the-hedgehog-3-genesis-screenshot-first-level-bosss.gif

Blueblur1 said:
Man, the Spinball sprite was absolutely horrible.

The game was pretty horrible too IMO :p And Sonic 2 definitely had the best Sonic sprite.

Blueblur1

Man, the Spinball sprites were absolutely horrible. I didn't really notice as a kid but now that I see it them that lineup I'm put off by it.

andymcc

Banned
If you compare the graphics of Sonic 3 to Sonic 1 and 2, the latter two have a 'cleaner' look to them IMO.

Ghz.png

Emeraldhill.png

30695-sonic-the-hedgehog-3-genesis-screenshot-first-level-bosss.gif

i've always felt this way too. color palettes are more pleasing in the first two games too.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Willy105 said:

What made it appears grainy were the attempts at displaying more three dimensional objects (similar to what rare did with DKC, really) within the limited Genesis color palette. The first three games (Sonic 1, 2, and CD) focused more on solid colors and patterns while Sonic3k went more for gradients and rendered objects.

You can see this right from the title screen. Notice how they attempt to display a 3D rendered Sonic within a ring? They're trying to give that whole object a 3D sheen. Look at the awful gradients across Sonic's head. The system obviously didn't have enough colors available to pull that off smoothly. It was less obvious on older TVs with lower quality connections, of course, but it never looked great.

titlescreen.png

You can see here that the color usage is much more appropriate for the system and the result is a much cleaner image. There is still mild dithering present, but the overall look is much more 2D. I think it looks MUCH better. Both title screens represent the style of visuals the games ultimately aimed for.

sonic2-01-title.jpg

Blueblur1 said:
Man, the Spinball sprites were absolutely horrible. I didn't really notice as a kid but now that I see it them that lineup I'm put off by it.

That's right, Sonic Spinball. STI didn't have Sonic Team to create and design sprites for them, so they had to do it themselves, so we get...that thing.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just pre-ordered from Amazon. What a week this will be for games.

Berordn

Lijik said:
spent the nine minutes in the last boss battle to hear the eggman easter egg
Mostly I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who did this.

Controls were pretty bad but I remember adapting really well, and it might just be my rose-tinted glasses talking but I don't remember the game being terribly repetitive. I did play it all over the course of a year though, so that might be impacting my memory. I did have more fun with it than Heroes, however little that means.

andymcc

Banned
ViewtifulJC said:
That's right, Sonic Spinball. STI didn't have Sonic Team to create and design sprites for them, so they had to do it themselves, so we get...that thing.

at least it's probably a better game than that Sonic the Animated Series game was going to be...

JonCha

Sonic 3 sprites have always been my fave but the Sonic 2 sprite is also great. I've always thought the 3 sprite looked the best.

Zafir said:
If anyone was wanting the CE for £75 but missed out, Amazon has both versions back up again for the same price.

And, damn, if these stay up for a couple of weeks I'll buy. Can't atm though :(.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sonic 1 loses major points for me just because of Marble zone. Fuck that stage.

S3&K is still my favorite. Love the graphics and art, love the level design. Sonic 2 had some kick-ass stages though.

WillyFive

The gradients for the Sonic 3 graphics were effective to me, so I liked them. Sure, the Genesis couldn't handle such colors, but it gave the impression that it tried. In comparison, Sonic 1 and 2 look flat, which is not a bad thing, but the Sonic 3 style definitely gave it a richer look. Also, the color palettes were warmer in Sonic 3, giving it a nice look compared to the cool and solid colors of the first two.

And I really like the body dimensions of the Sonic 3 sprite, with larger hands and feet that are placed in perspective.

ShadiWulf

Ace_235 said:
Mine isn't gonna ship till Nov 7th from Amazon. I preordered when they had it for 35$. Atleast ill have Uncharted to hold me over!
I don't know if its too late yet, but if its not you can switch it to release day delivery and keep the $35 price.

Azure J

Why is it always GAF that challenges my perception of how fans rate little things in certain games/series? :lol

I didn't think anyone disliked Sonic 3's color palette or sprites until this thread. For me though the best color palette belongs to Sonic 1 while Sonic 3 has the best sprite and sprite art. Sonic 2 is overrated
in pretty much every way
but I won't get into that right now. ;)

The_Technomancer said:

S3&K is still my favorite. Love the graphics and art, love the level design. Sonic 2 had some kick-ass stages though.
What?! Marble Zone is one of the best zones in that game, there's so much good platforming to be had there. If you were talking about Marble Garden, however, I'd agree in a heartbeat.

.la1n

Sonic 1/2 would be what I would like to see in a new Sonic and throw in some of the idea from Sonic CD. If we are discussing sprites then I prefer Sonic CD over any of them, especially the full run animation. This is a discussion for another thread though.

Paracelsus said:
8n2kR.jpg

Not even kidding, I think Sonic 1 is a much more competent platformer than 2 and 3, not necessarily the better game but eh.

I can't really state exactly why I prefer Sonic 1 over all the others(except for possibly Sonic CD), but I know that after years of playing them, and having beaten them over 100 times each, Sonic 1 continues to be the one I return to the most, and still continue to enjoy more and more. I think it's because of the way it rewards you for getting better at the game. In the sequels, you don't really get punished for taking a hit, losing your momentum. As soon as you get knocked on your ass, you can rev up a spin dash and get right back up to max speed. A lot of the fun of Sonic 1 for me is to build up that speed AND maintain it. Also, the levels seem designed with this sort of philosophy in mind.

I dunno. It's just a really, really well thought out game.

Combichristoffersen

AwakenedCloud said:
What?! Marble Zone is one of the best zones in that game, there's so much good platforming to be had there. If you were talking about Marble Garden, however, I'd agree in a heartbeat.

Marble Garden is pretty awful. Personally I think Marble Zone is OK, but I can see how people would dislike it if they don't like the more 'closed', slower-paced levels.

Ha ha ha, I love marble garden zone. Especially the level crushing part in the third(?) act.

I think the issue with marble zone is that while it's an intersting pure platforming design, it's not really what would later be seen as a sonic-style zone. Still fun though.

The_Technomancer said:

Labyrinth Zone is what I hate. All water stages can die.

AwakenedCloud said:

Agreed, i really enjoy the slower paced platforming of Marble Zone, as well as Labyrinth Zone and (at times) Scrap Brain.

It's a well paced game, with every other zone alternating between slow and fast paced.

Green Hill(fast), Marble(slow), Spring Yard(fast), Labyrinth(slow), Star Light(fast), Scrap Brain(slow).

I really love the balance there. I love the fast paced zones because the levels are designed to really let you have fun with the physics of the game and to let you go at those breakneck speeds the series is touted for. But I also love the slower levels that force you to use those platforming skills. It's the perfect mix.

Oh, and the music in the game is fucking gorgeous. Still one of the finest soundtracks ever seen in a video game, period.

Combichristoffersen

spindashing said:
Labyrinth Zone is what I hate. All water stages can die.

I don't think the zone in itself is that bad nowadays, but fuck that boss right up Robotnik's moustache. Most frustrating boss in the game IMO.

So reviews scores are looking to be at the 8 range then. Not bad at all, I have to admit I was hoping for 9s, but thats more my own hype letting me down as opposed to the game not being decent. Its a good start, lets hope they can refine it more and iron out all the little issues so Sonic can hit the 9s again and be back where he belongs.

EDIT - CVG's review seems to point towards the frame rate being the main problem they have with the game. I'd be really interested to see how the PC version runs, if we get 60fps no slow down it sounds like its definitely going to be the version to get.

I don't think the zone in itself is that bad nowadays, but fuck that boss right up Robotnik's moustache. Most frustrating boss in the game IMO.
Oh. I agree. I had a harder time with that one than with the final boss.

Paracelsus said:
I wonder what would have been of the series had they never chosen to resort to the spindash.
I wouldn't exist.

J@hranimo

Banned

QFT. I appreciate the plethora of platforming in that game, but man is that challenging. Marble Zone was sometimes annoying too.

Sonic 1 & 2 are tied for me, for best classic Sonic. I think Marble Zone is cool, don't mind the underwater stages, they're pretty fun. Sonic 2's awesome, the enemy placement is way more brutal though (fucking aquatic ruin).

I switch each day on which one I like more, probably Sonic 1 right now, cause I've been playing it more recently. CD used to be my favorite above all else, haven't played it in years, though.

Top Bottom