• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

SimonM7

branny said:
I think I'm even more excited to get this tomorrow after finally playing through Sonic Colors on the Wii. That game really surprised me. In fact, I like it so much that I'm worried it'll upstage this one. :(

Oh it will. Backing away from the powers and splitting the game in half again is really two steps back from the advances Colours made over Unleashed.

Hopefully this supposed "Dimensions" we're hearing about can pick up where Colours left off.

qq more said:
What the FUCK is with the water level?

EDIT: Seriously, these fucking pipes are putting me in a loop with the help of those underwater fans or something.

The water level in Blast was where I got stuck and never went back to it (other than cheating to play the later levels a tiny bit and the final boss). Something about it is very unintuitive, and even when I had an idea of what I was supposed to be doing, I couldn't work out how to do it. It's been a while since I played, though.

qq more

Welp, looks like I've managed to find a water level worse than Labyrinth Zone.

Fuck Sonic Blast. And I take back what I said about almost preferring this over Sonic 4. At least Sonic 4 didn't have a terribad (but still meh) water level.

EDIT: I find it extremely ironic that it's nearly impossible to drown in this game unless you were trying to and yet... still manages to be the worst water level I've ever played. Wow.

qq more said:
What the FUCK is with the water level?

EDIT: Seriously, these fucking pipes are putting me in a loop with the help of those underwater fans or something.
I think that was the level I gave up on when I played it

qq more

Nocturnowl said:
I think that was the level I gave up on when I played it
Seriously, I can't figure out this pipe shit. Soooo bad. I don't think I've ever went from "Wow this game isn't really that bad" to "FUCK THIS GAME" so quick before. :lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
qq more said:
Welp, looks like I've managed to find a water level worse than Labyrinth Zone.

Fuck Sonic Blast. And I take back what I said about almost preferring this over Sonic 4. At least Sonic 4 didn't have a terribad (but still meh) water level.

EDIT: I find it extremely ironic that it's nearly impossible to drown in this game unless you were trying to and yet... still manages to be the worst water level I've ever played. Wow.

Welcome to the glorious shitpile that is Sonic Blast. And those graphics. Man. Why Sega thought it a good idea at all to try and wring Donkey Kong Country graphics out of a portable 8-bit handheld is beyond me.

qq more

Combichristoffersen said:
Welcome to the glorious shitpile that is Sonic Blast. And those graphics. Man. Why Sega thought it a good idea at all to try and wring Donkey Kong Country graphics out of a portable 8-bit handheld is beyond me.
Hahaha yeah. The graphics are so shitty. What were they thinking?

And why is the first stage called Green Hill Zone when there's none of the iconic checker-pattern ground?

Blue Marine Zone? Yeah, I think I recall ragequitting Blast there, too.

I think the only water levels I enjoyed in the Game Gear titles were Tidal Plant and Aqua Lake Zone.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
qq more said:
Hahaha yeah. The graphics are so shitty. What were they thinking?

To be honest I don't think they were thinking at all. Didn't they see DKC on the Game Boy? The game was still fun in its GB incarnation, but most of the time it looked like total ass.

I just looked at some footage of Blast to refresh my memory, man those graphics aren't as mildly decent as I remembered, still ever so slightly impressive for the consoles the game plays on I guess

Ozone

Tempted to go to GameStop at midnight and troll the Uncharted fans by picking up Generations.

They'd let me pick up my pre-order, right?

ShadiWulf

Ozone said:
Tempted to go to GameStop at midnight and troll the Uncharted fans by picking up Generations.

yeah, gamestop is doing a midnight launch for Generations too, they just announced it yesterday. a bit sudden, but then well, there you go.

Ozone

ShadiWulf said:
yeah, gamestop is doing a midnight launch for Generations too, they just announced it yesterday. a bit sudden, but then well, there you go.
Perfect, I'm definitely doing it then!

ShadiWulf

Ozone said:
Perfect, I'm definitely doing it then!
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/events/uncharted3-event/#expand

Things To Know, Before You Go
First - Our doors will open 10pm in most locations, but check with your local store for opening times. These titles will be available for pick-up at Midnight.

Second - Between 10pm and midnight is when we finalize your transaction. You will need to go to the register to receive your finalized purchase receipt. Finalizing the transaction is where we take your deposit, partial or full, and create a sale receipt .

Third - Don’t forget to bring your trade-ins to take advantage of our great trade specials to reduce the price of your game. Everybody likes to save money!

Fourth - You don’t have to arrive at 10pm. You can show up anytime between 10pm and midnight. However, by coming early, you can get your trade-ins and transaction processed sooner.

Ozone

The one I pre-ordered at didn't show up on the list of stores doing the midnight launch. I'll still drive by to check, but if not it's fine.

george_us

Dammit my order still hasn't shipped yet.

Don't fuck this up Amazon!
Emot-argh.gif

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to have to wait until 8 to play it :(. I hate school sometimes.

Yuripaw

Banned
Ozone said:

I wish I could do this, but I gotta wait til friday for the Steam version of this game :( I don't understand the 3 day delay on PC.

Kinda off topic, but I'm looking forward to trolling all the Call of Duty fans when I get Metal Gear Solid HD collection, and Cave story 3D instead of MW3 next week, lol

Ozone

Have to wait tomorrow unfortunately. They're not doing it and the other GameStop told me I can't get the bonus goods if I go there, which is the entire point I got it from there instead of Amazon.

Eh, I'll get to sleep tonight.

Target's buy 2 get 1 free sale is going on until the 5th, so I have 5 days to try to score at a few different locations. Batman and Ace Combat are mine, now call me a fool, but I'm debating the third game, Uncharted or Sonic...and Sonic has the slight edge.

TheOGB

Banned
Damn, I thought my Toys 'R' Us order would get here the day of, not 3-8 days later. D:

Shit, I could have ordered off Amazon then >:V

Ozone

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
So are the Gamestop midnight launch events only for those who preordered?
Nah, he said I could just buy a copy. Which is why I wouldn't get the pre-order bonuses.

TheOGB said:
Damn, I thought my Toys 'R' Us order would get here the day of, not 3-8 days later. D:

Shit, I could have ordered off Amazon then >:V
I'm in the same boat. Fortunately in my case, this will allow me to focus on the 2 tests I have this week. My hype for this game is palpable, I just made the Vs. Metal Sonic song into a ringtone and tomorrow I'm going to run a 5K even though my legs are killing me from Saturday. All aboard the hype train to Sonic Tuesday!

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
So are the Gamestop midnight launch events only for those who preordered?

I went to Halo 3's without preordering. I was at the front of the line, but the guy at the counter turned me away because I didn't preorder. Then the manager said, "No one is going without Halo tonight!", and I got my copy. It was pretty confusing, and cool.

So, to answer your question: I don't know.

So I preordered Generations on Steam a while back.... dunno if the game is gonna drop tomorrow or what... I guess its the 4th. A friend of mine and I have decided to pick up the game on 360 as well lmao, so driving to walmart in the next town at midnight to pick it up!

All for Sonic! Its been a long 20 years, full of ups and downs... but I have been there and generations is worth it all!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ShadiWulf said:
GameTrailers review is up, 8.1

it's a really good and detailed review from what I heard. I say heard because I didn't watch it, didn't want to spoil myself, plus it sounds like they were showing a lot of stuff in that 7 minutes, and yeah.. so good thing I didn't watch!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-sonic-generations/723398

"Sonic hasn't been this good in years"
Not watching (or listening because I want the dialogue to be fresh), but that's a higher score than I expected.

Ah, got this: "Story: 7.8, Design: 7.7, Gameplay: 8.4, Presentation: 8.6, Overall: 8.1"

Added to the list of reviews until the OP is updated.

played the demo.

This is probably the first sonic game I have played other then the mega drive ones.

Its "ok". Classic sonic is way to fast but it seems like a ok game. if you like going fast and shit flying all around you at a high frame rate it seems like a cool game.

Will buy based on the gametrailers review, but I hate new sonic so I'm still gonna wait for the price drop. If they just made the same game without new sonic in it and more old sonic content I'd be all over this day 1.

Anth0ny

funkystudent said:
played the demo.

This is probably the first sonic game I have played other then the mega drive ones.

Its "ok". Classic sonic is way to fast but it seems like a ok game. if you like going fast and shit flying all around you at a high frame rate it seems like a cool game.

God bless you.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is game trailers the only site that said they liked the classic parts more than modern? Every other review I've read so far said they stopped hatting the modern stuff and ended up liking it more in the end.

The Xtortionist said:
I get out of class at 12:30 tomorrow then it's Sonic all dayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

*fist pumps to Planet Wisp Classic*
I'm truly hoping one of the song selects you can do is for that stage is the original version of Planet Wisp. It's easily one of the most iconic Sonic tracks from the past decade.

RobbieNick

Ozone said:

Yup. I may go in my Dr. Eggman costume since it's still Halloween.

Dark Schala said:
Not watching (or listening because I want the dialogue to be fresh), but that's a higher score than I expected.

Ah, got this: "Story: 7.8, Design: 7.7, Gameplay: 8.4, Presentation: 8.6, Overall: 8.1"

Added to the list of reviews until the OP is updated.

Thanks!! I'll add some of these right away.

AwakenedCloud said:
I'm truly hoping one of the song selects you can do is for that stage is the original version of Planet Wisp. It's easily one of the most iconic Sonic tracks from the past decade.

This. Original Colors version of Planet Wisp destroys Classic AND Modern Remix in Generations.

TheOGB

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
best track in the game

yeah i went there
Definitely in the top three

along with Modern Crisis City and some other song that doesn't matter

I do wonder though, why they didn't use Act 2 or 3 for one of the remixes. Act 3 would have been a good base for a remix.

Top Bottom