• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

fernoca

Teknoman said:
Complaints that Modern Sonic stages were too empty/straightforward.

Also this is the best Sonic Cartoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBZVEyWiQk&feature=fvwp&NR=1
Ah..no biggie I guess. :p

And yeah, I remember watching that on a local channel when I was younger. :p

Kulock said:
For starters, every Act 1 for the Genesis stages is just a direct port of the original stage, except no miniboss for Sonic 3. It's so direct that in Mushroom Hill there was a checkpoint right before a loop and then the stage's end. Like literally nowhere to die, because there's no boss.

It's actually improved drastically since it was first shown, but it's clearly a game that needs time to be properly finished, not pushed out the door to match the console version.
Oh!
Hmm...
Keeping an eye out then.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
fernoca said:
Reading the last few pages, can I ask what's so bad/horrible about the 3DS version?

I mean it looked nice in pictures and videos. I saw some complaining about Classic Sonic using dash (which I don''t mind :p)..after that haven't been following much; so..anything went wrong?
The stages seem rather empty, and because Classic Sonic utlizes the Homing Attack, some don't think there is much to differentiate him from Modern Sonic other than the Boost feature. Classic Sonic using the Homing Attack allows him to reach paths he wouldn't otherwise be able to reach using his classic moveset, so it seems to be beneficial to the player. Every act design seen so far, at least for the Genesis levels, seem to be copy/pasted from the originals as well.

However, the 3DS version has vastly improved from its E3 showing.

Compare the Big Arm Boss Fight from E3 to the Big Arm Boss Fight from GamesCom.

There is also a Mushroom Hill video that shows improvement. Let me find that...
Edit: Found it~. Basically, the physics improved, and Sonic no longer clings to ceilings.
Mushroom Hill - GamesCom footage
Mushroom Hill - NYCC footage

And also the visuals have improved.
Green Hill Zone - E3 2011: Act 1; Act 2
Green Hill Zone - NYCC 2011: Act 1; Act 2

ckohler

Been playing for a couple of hours now. Really loving it.

Apparently you can unlock
Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis. The whole game.
:)

Also, seeing Stardust Speedway in 3D was cooool, even if it was just a challenge stage.

Ok, regarding Speed Highway and "At Dawn"...

Unless it's in a mission, which could be possible, there's no specific town area at the end of Classic or Modern's stage. However, it does become dawn as you play through Modern Sonic's level, and there is a recreation of "Going Down" even with remixed music.

Teknoman said:
Well of course thats on top, but I mean cartoon series.

Ah, fair enough. In that case I have no real opinion. I haven't seen AoStH or Underground since I was a kid (though Adventures was my favourite then, Underground my least), and only a handful of Sonic X episodes, so I can't really make an informed judgement.

Teknoman said:
Wasnt the OVA soundtrack done by the Sonic CD JP/EU composers?[/I].

It doesn't seem so, based on a quick Google search.

JonCha

GiantBomb do have a Quick look coming up. Not sure if I will watch until others have because I don't want to listen to them hating for 20 minutes/half an hour.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
JonCha said:
GiantBomb do have a Quick ookk coming up. Jot sure if I will watch until others gave because I don't want to listen to them hating for 20 minutes/ half an hour.
They seemed to enjoy Colours when they did a QL of that game... or at least, Ryan seemed to like it.

Dark Schala said:
They seemed to enjoy Colours when they did a QL of that game... or at least, Ryan seemed to like it.
He's very aggressively against Sega trying to trade on Sonic's previous glory.

The game is really pretty, though, so I am guessing they may only make a few snide remarks here and there.

JonCha

Dark Schala said:
True, but I always feel like they're waiting to say something negative and can't just play the damn game whole ignoring Sonic's history for half an hour.

I hope it's Ryan/Brad Ryan/Vinny. Jeff has said he is done with Sonic, so I don't want to listen to anyone who will moan all the way through.

And Ryan did seem against the two Sonics idea even in I Love Mondays. Should be fun...

OK, you know how the Sonics don't really fingerwag or move much on the title screen...

When you pick "Continue" instead of "New Game"... it's awesome. Well, it's neat anyway.

Time for City Escape!

Edit: Seaside Hill Classic is a little rough in spots. I rolled down a decline, and there's a spot where Sonic stops dead and jitters if you do that sometimes. I also went through a bit that was like Labyrinth Zone with the water flow and the breakable bars, broke the first bar by accident, fell into the spikes, lost all my rings and then immediately died.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
I just watched the gametrailers review.

this game is good?!? I automatically blew it off before I researched it at all. I don't know what to do, my world view has been shattered

Seik

Banned
Box of Bunnies said:
You seem to have copied the wrong link. Here, I grabbed the correct one for you.

I hate you, for reminding me I absolutely need this movie. I had it on VHS back then but I lost the copy! D: I never managed to find a DVD on Ebay except that one time when the price went up enough for me to say ''Fuck that.'' I really want this one badly.

Thank you.

RobbieNick

Big Ass Ramp said:
I just watched the gametrailers review.

this game is good?!? I automatically blew it off before I researched it at all. I don't know what to do, my world view has been shattered

Check the OP and see the reviews.

Damn man, TONS of unlockable music. some are remixes. This soundtrack is HUGE!

I saved Knuckles as Classic Sonic/

Knuckles - Thanks Sonic!....Have you gained weight?

Classic Sonic looks sad and rubs his belly. XD

Bought the Sega Genesis controller for 7777 points. Once you do that an option pops up for 1000 to buy Infinite Continues for it.

Sonic 1 is played at mostly full-screen, just resized with the 4:3 aspect ratio, no faux-widescreen or ugly filters. You can also use the LB and RB buttons to change to what looks like a 1:1 pixel size, or maybe double that, it was tiny on my TV. The sides are bordered with a white jagged edge over black. No spin dash, no savestates, no picking music. Uses the version with the spike "bug" (get hit -> land on spikes -> instantly die). Seemed to play fine without button lag or whatever, although the sound emulation sounded off to me. Colors seemed a little strange too, like the contrast was a bit high, but that could very well just be my imagination. My TV does weird auto-brightness things too that make it harder to confidently judge.

RobbieNick said:
I saved Knuckles as Classic Sonic/

Knuckles - Thanks Sonic!....Have you gained weight?

Classic Sonic looks sad and rubs his belly. XD

Damn, I wondered if there was alternate dialogue for saving people with Classic Sonic. I've always been doing it with Modern Sonic because of the Act order.

I have been playing for 2hrs. I have to stop as I don't want to beat all of this so quickly... I LOVE THIS GAME!

I love how Classic Sonic seems more reckless and down for action while it seems modern sonic is trying to get all caught up... xD its like hes an old man now.

Sonic and Tails Classic are just HHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG cute.

Just beat Shadow, pink boost explained...

The boss area is sort of a long circular arena, and you both run back and forth chasing energy cores flying down the map, a little like the Chaos Emeralds in Heroes. Both of you are trying to get to 2 first, which lets you power up. Shadow also boosts and has an independent ring count, although for the most part that doesn't seem to matter.

If Shadow powers up, it plays "All Hail Shadow" and you have to dodge Chaos Spears for a little bit. If you power up, your boost turns pink, and you can ram meteors into Shadow to cause him to falter, then boost into him to force him to continually drop rings until he runs out.

It's not a bad fight, but the Drifting mechanic screwed me up a bit here for some reason when I tried to use it, and it's possible to get just a little lost, but not for long. Not sure what it'll be like on Hard, but I'll save that for another time.

Daww, ok, mission with
Cream
in City Escape,
you can only get rings if you ask her for them with the Y button. She and a small platoon of Chao follow you along while you board down the street, and when you trick off a ramp, they all do a little spinning trick animation too.

Edit: I'll keep editing since I'm the last post for now. One of the Seaside Hill missions is actually set at night. It's pretty, but the framerate has noticeably taken a hit on this particular mission. From what I've played so far, Seaside Hill, while not bad, seems like the least polished so far. I still have the Modern Era stages to go, though.

JonCha said:
Kulock, how're you finding the game thus far expectation-wise?

Pretty positive. I'm trying not to be too forgiving, since I've been hyped, but so far the only things that stuck out at me as rough were just a few confusing sections of Speed Highway (and I do mean a few), and Seaside Hill has lots of more obvious callbacks (they pretty much made it "The Water Level"), but it also has played the roughest for me so far. Especially one of the missions there with Rouge, which ran at a lower framerate, had way too many enemies and a pretty janky mechanic.

Lightspeed Dashing seems out of place. I honestly mostly forget it's there, except it highlights a line of rings every once in a while. I haven't even tested it to see if it works on normal lines of rings, whoops.

360 version. It's the first time I've noticed something like that, so either the effect they were doing to do the night graphics was taxing it, or they put too many enemies and other modular items in that mission, I don't know.

Edit: Classic Crisis City is actually... a good stage. EXCEPT
when trying to jump on the floating stuff near the end can be a little iffy, Sonic doesn't always behave on it correctly it feels like.
. It's still a neat sequence with that aside, especially how
they keep teasing you with the end of level signpost flying by

I like how the monsters got redesigned, although the worms are still pretty much the same.

Edit 2: Would not give Modern Crisis City the same praise. A little too much open air platforming, with the homing attack sometimes snoozing instead of picking the proper target. There was also a line of rings I thought I would use to Lightspeed Dash... turns out that really does only work with certain lines of rings. Also noticed a few framerate drops. Interesting thing, a lava flow shot me up into the ceiling, and instead of a crush death, I just took damage.

JonCha

I'm surprised people are blazing through the main stages. I'll be doing the side missions before moving on to the next stage.

You can't play the side missions until you've played through the 6 acts of that era at least once. It's necessary to go play at least one mission from each game before you can fight the boss, though.

Classic Spagonia was actually kind of hard. The enemies are pretty nasty there, especially when they're ready for you, and the confetti everywhere is pretty, but doesn't help. There was a bit with
a giant barrel, I was obviously supposed to knock it down and crush bots, but I guess I missed how. I tried spin dashing into it twice, and running on top, and just fell off.

Rlan

Kulock said:
Ok, regarding Speed Highway and "At Dawn"...

Unless it's in a mission, which could be possible, there's no specific town area at the end of Classic or Modern's stage. However, it does become dawn as you play through Modern Sonic's level, and there is a recreation of "Going Down" even with remixed music.

I've been spoiling myself on Youtube, and
Cream's "classic Sonic" mission is set during the daytime in Speed Highway

Zomba13

Kulock said:
But you can turn him off from the start, it's my fault for having him on.
Thank fuck for that. I had enough of him in the fucking demo and I'm pretty sure he's just at the start there.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
SuperAngelo64 said:
Can Modern Sonic do a spindash? That's something that I really missed in Colors.
Spindash is the new drift animation, technically using boost is your spindash.

edit: LOL at everyone responding at the same time

Oh man Classic Planet Wisp uses
the Spikes wisp
way too much. In fact there's a segment dependent on it that I was stuck at for a few minutes, it didn't help there's a missile launcher right in the most dickish place it could be. They also didn't tell me until later on in the stage that
spindashing worked on the gears, not just the walls

I guess it's kind of hard to think that I'm playing technically the last main level, that it should be this hard when it's Planet Wisp. Screws with your nostalgia a bit, even though it's a recent game.

Edit: They just made Classic Sonic give the thumbs up to Modern Sonic doing a homing attack in a cinema. Bleh. So far the writing really isn't up to Colors, at least for Modern Sonic saving people.

Malajax

Blueblur1 said:
I noticed last night that the GTTV video review mentioned DLC. Has any other outlet mentioned it?

I'm guessing it's conjecture based on the Gamestop pre-order DLC and previous examples. Both Sonic 06 and Unleashed had DLC, why not for Generations? This might end up being the most successful Sonic game in years. To not offer DLC would be leaving money on the table.

Okay, the VS Vector mission is just strange.
You're trapped in this little area, with some steel box things and Vector behind a DJ table. He sends a note your way, then you homing attack it, then he reflects it back with a bubble. Your homing attack seems extra helpful to try to lock onto it, in an almost jarring way, and the framerate seems to stutter a little when you hit it sometimes, and it goes on for way too long without really changing.
Glad basically passing it is a guaranteed S rank. Far too gimmicky and unpolished.

Top Bottom