• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ShockingAlberto said:
This was really, really gushing.

To the point where I felt cringing embarrassment.

He really likes Sonic.

So based on what I'm reading my pre-purchase of the Steam version has probably lead to me getting the worst version of the game. Is that accurate?

Mupod

Saint Gregory said:
So based on what I'm reading my pre-purchase of the Steam version has probably lead to me getting the worst version of the game. Is that accurate?

I don't know, what are you reading? I'm serious, I can't find anything about the PC version at all outside of Sega's initial announcement.

Sciz

Saint Gregory said:
We don't know one way or the other yet. Presumably it'll get all the usual benefits of PC gaming, but no one's gotten their hands on a copy to see how well it actually runs. DLC is similarly up in the air.

Mupod said:
I don't know, what are you reading? I'm serious, I can't find anything about the PC version at all outside of Sega's initial announcement.
Sciz said:
We don't know one way or the other yet. Presumably it'll get all the usual benefits of PC gaming, but no one's gotten their hands on a copy to see how well it actually runs. DLC is similarly up in the air.
I haven't heard anymore than anyone here, I'm just wondering based on some of the comments about the lack of review copies and the bad history of Sega ports. That by itself doesn't sound so great though.

Mupod

Saint Gregory said:
I haven't heard anymore than anyone here, I'm just wondering based on some of the comments about the lack of review copies and the bad history of Sega ports. That by itself doesn't sound so great though.

Sonic and Sega Allstars Racing was pretty damn good on PC, minus the lack of multiplayer. Wouldn't call it a bad port.

Dunno what other recent Sega-developed games we could compare this to. Sonic Adventure's PC version was just kinda this throwaway halfassed thing, and came out a long time ago.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mupod said:
Sonic and Sega Allstars Racing was pretty damn good on PC, minus the lack of multiplayer. Wouldn't call it a bad port.

Dunno what other recent Sega-developed games we could compare this to. Sonic Adventure's PC version was just kinda this throwaway halfassed thing, and came out a long time ago.
Allstars Racing is solid if you use an nVidia card, but there is a constant hitching/skipping issue that occurs on ATI cards which was impossible to solve.

Mupod said:

OK, I thought there was more history than that so I was little worried.

Volcynika

Saint Gregory said:
OK, I thought there was more history than that so I was little worried.

Well Sumo something or w/e did the All-Stars Racing port. Isn't the Generations port done by some group called Devil's Details or something? I think it's on the Steam store page for it.

Nabs

dark10x said:
Allstars Racing is solid if you use an nVidia card, but there is a constant hitching/skipping issue that occurs on ATI cards which was impossible to solve.
Not here. It ran perfectly on my 5850 (with SSAA too!).

Volcynika said:
Well Sumo something or w/e did the All-Stars Racing port. Isn't the Generations port done by some group called Devil's Details or something? I think it's on the Steam store page for it.

Yep. These are the guys who did the Virtua Tennis port. It's supposedly a good port, it just has your normal GFWL features (save corruption).

ShadiWulf

Sumo Digital developed PC All Stars Racing and Virtua Tennis 4 doesn't run on the Hedgehog Engine. Can't really use either game as a benchmark, just gonna have to wait and see how it runs.

Mupod

Nabs said:
Not here. It ran perfectly on my 5850 (with SSAA too!).

Yeah I never had any problems playing it on a 4870. Regardless I have a GTX 580 now and haven't even reinstalled the game since I put together my new system.

Yep. These are the guys who did the Virtua Tennis port. It's supposedly a good port, it just has your normal GFWL features (save corruption).

Thank god Generations is steamworks. Although I'm pretty good at wrestling with GFWL at this point, from my experience most of its 'save corruption' can be attributed to its ass backwards method of assigning save files to specific user profiles and isn't hard to reverse.

Well I hope those of you with Generations are having fun because the finale of my return to Sonic Heroes was anything but.

Hang Castle: Surprisingly easy for a late game stage, this stage actually requires use of the camera buttons since the design of the level is pretty unintuitive at time. The gimmick is going upside down on ceilings and stuff but due to the way the game plays it really makes no difference other than dragging the flow down. A nice idea but not well implemented, the creepy music is so generic scooby doo it makes me long for Pumpkin Hill.

Mystic Mansion: Not nearly as bad as I remember it being but it is oh so bland, bobsleds that work like the karts are here with camera work so bad it clips through the walls obscuring the hazards, you get timing advice from knuckles a second too late every time he dares to help. Now one of the main problems with the game comes to light, the characters control so bad in any situation that isn't running straight forward (and you can't even manage that in the bonus stages), I don't feel safe moving the stick because Sonic may just zoom off the edge at any moment. Moves are all mapped to the same damn buttons meaning they will screw you up eventually. At least the music was kind of funky.

Boss- Test of patience/Robot enemy spam
: Eggman gets surprisingly angry when Sonic calls him a joke, his response is this horrid joke of a boss satge, as I said above the controls are so bad for this stuff you always feel out of control and a second away from having knuckles throw a punch straight off the edge.
I did however finally discover Team Sonic's blast attack secondary effect which makes the sonic tornado go all bananas, I thought the game had whacked out on me which honestly wouldn't surprise me at all. Well point is this sucks.

Egg Fleet: This is so close to being awesome but the games standard faults throw themselves into the fray and ruin anything that could be good here. You get hit by one cannon projectile and you can get stun locked in a repeated barrage of mortars to the face. You try to punch the enemy robot in front of you but Knuckles decides to zoom over to the opposite direction and attempt to hit a cannon on the other side of a freaking pit! You do get to use the Sonic Accel boost thing again, the only required time in the game, I hope you remember how to pull it off because they don't tell you and the only time you are told is back in seaside hill and only then if you actually go a certain route, on the other hand it's the b button because everything is the b button.

Final Fortress: Like the above but worse in every way, you press a self destruct switch and Tails wonders why the ship self destructed...the dialogue in this game is appalling.
In a classic heroes moment I had to use the pole spin move to launch onto a grind rail except I got launched over the grind rail and died, second attempt it worked fine, man this game is a disaster, it was actually fun earlier I swear!
You get grind rails AND big laser beams of death, hope you aren't trying to go fast here because you can doom yourself if you do, maybe I should never try and go fast on the grind rails.

Boss- Egg emperor: TAKE THIS! TAKE THIS! TAKE THIS! TAKE THIS! CHAAAARGE!
This is one of the most goddamned ridiculous pieces of crap i've played in some time, so Eggman bot runs away while spamming projectiles, at the same time there are cannons firing at you and standard enemies. at any point Eggman will use a charging attack that you can't seem to avoid. You have to use boost pads to clear gaps and he CAN USE THE CHARGE WHEN YOU ARE OVER A PIT WITH NO CONTROL! WHAT THE **** ?! The fight is a disaster, its just you being spammed by attacks and occasionally thrown into unavoidable death situations. I simply decided that quitting this was a better option than finishing it, clearly Sega didn't finish making the game so i don't see why I should bother either.

So I started off enjoying the game but was greeted with such amounts of horror that I can no longer try and defend the game, it really feels like a rush job, they actually had something good here but screwed it up. I used to think people were too hard on the game but considering the highest highs are the first 3 stages with a few moments of fun sprinkled in between the lowest lows that take up most of the game I think I understand the hate a hell of a lot more now, when I was younger I let it slide but now I can't.

Fortunately I should have generations tomorrow which will be spiffing.

Peff

ShadiWulf said:
Sumo Digital developed PC All Stars Racing and Virtua Tennis 4 doesn't run on the Hedgehog Engine. Can't really use either game as a benchmark, just gonna have to wait and see how it runs.

I was going to say this too, it really doesn't tell us anything (especially considering how much more demanding Generations is). There's also the issue of Sumo not having enough budget to include online or the DLC not coming out, which might happen again given that this port seems to be managed entirely by Sega of Europe, I'm not sure if that was also the case with All-Star Racing.

Sciz

Peff said:
I was going to say this too, it really doesn't tell us anything (especially considering how much more demanding Generations is). There's also the issue of Sumo not having enough budget to include online or the DLC not coming out, which might happen again given that this port seems to be managed entirely by Sega of Europe, I'm not sure if that was also the case with All-Star Racing.
They managed to keep the leaderboards in this time, at least.

Zen

Banned
Mupod said:
Gonna be some fierce competition with all 12 of us that bought the PC version.

I think you'll be surprised. The hardcore Sonic community will likely be getting the PC version due to potential mods and the lower price.

Sanic

How long is this? Both to get through all of the levels, and then to do all of the challenges or whatever extra content there may be. I love Sonic, but I was going to give this one a rental, depending on the amount of content.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I am definitely not picky, but oh yes... I see the problems some reviewers had with the PS3 version. I think the framerate has improved since the demo for sure, but there are times when the framerate issues are noticeable. I had it happen in M. GHZ and both M and C Chemical Plant Zone when I was going really fast.

But I'm enjoying the game so far! I'm disappointed I have to run back to class and can't keep playing, but I'm having a good time with it so far. And you guys were definitely not kidding about the music! :D It's such a damn joy to hear.

And I'm going to save everyone with Classic Sonic from now on. His expressions are great.

Amy: Sonic, you look younger every day. What's your secret?
Classic Sonic just lowers his eyelids and appears impatient with her. So cute.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
There is a PC Demo coming, no clue if Sega will put it out before the game is released though:
sonicdemo.png

TimmiT

Pandoracell said:
How long is this? Both to get through all of the levels, and then to do all of the challenges or whatever extra content there may be. I love Sonic, but I was going to give this one a rental, depending on the amount of content.
From what I heard, 4-6 hours to complete the main game, at least double the amount of time to complete everything. The levels are also meant to be replayed.

JADS

Drkirby said:
There is a PC Demo coming, no clue if Sega will put it out before the game is released though:
/http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3496710/sonicdemo.png

They could always pull a Renegade Ops...

JonCha

It's gonna be a beast to run.

Edit: also unsure whether to order from Amazon or GAME. Amazon is cheaper, but GAME are more reliable. Last time I ordered from Amazon I got the game at five in the evening.

Edit 2: they're virtually the same price, so GAME it is.

Teknoman

TimmiT said:
From what I heard, 4-6 hours to complete the main game, at least double the amount of time to complete everything. The levels are also meant to be replayed.

Its going to take alot of time to find all red rings (Sky sanctuary rings in classic are found on split paths), S rank everything including challenges, and get the chaos emeralds.

Teknoman

Dark Schala said:
I am definitely not picky, but oh yes... I see the problems some reviewers had with the PS3 version. I think the framerate has improved since the demo for sure, but there are times when the framerate issues are noticeable. I had it happen in M. GHZ and both M and C Chemical Plant Zone when I was going really fast.

But I'm enjoying the game so far! I'm disappointed I have to run back to class and can't keep playing, but I'm having a good time with it so far. And you guys were definitely not kidding about the music! :D It's such a damn joy to hear.

And I'm going to save everyone with Classic Sonic from now on. His expressions are great.

Amy: Sonic, you look younger every day. What's your secret?
Classic Sonic just lowers his eyelids and appears impatient with her. So cute.

Didnt know that scenes play out differently depending on who you "finish" the area with. Nice.

JazzmanZ

Nocturnowl said:
So I started off enjoying the game but was greeted with such amounts of horror that I can no longer try and defend the game, it really feels like a rush job, they actually had something good here but screwed it up. I used to think people were too hard on the game but considering the highest highs are the first 3 stages with a few moments of fun sprinkled in between the lowest lows that take up most of the game I think I understand the hate a hell of a lot more now, when I was younger I let it slide but now I can't.

Fortunately I should have generations tomorrow which will be spiffing.

You gonna try for the Final Boss Metal Sonic?

Teknoman

RobbieNick said:
So I started Crisis City and immediately boosted into a lava pit. XD Ah, it brings back memories.

lol yeah outside of Green Hill Modern, they really dont encourage boosting that much.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Should we make a thread about the Amazon price? I remember a few people being kind of disappointed they didn't know about the previous Amazon deal for Generations before.

Oh, and I've noticed that S-Ranks seem easier to get in this game. Maybe it's my imagination... I did a rather poor job in Modern Chemical Plant and I still got the S Rank for it. But I got a Perfect Bonus so that might have something to do with it since it immediately boosts the rank up by one.

And it certainly seems like this game discourages the BOOST BOOST BOOST type of gameplay, which is great. If you constantly boost through a level, you might not be careful or you might miss Red Rings and alternate/faster/safer paths. I like it.

Amazon live chat said I would automatically get a refund 24-48 hours after the release date.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.
Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, software, or video game, the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the release date.
If the price changes before the item ships, you'll see the updated price in Your Account. If the price changes after your shipment is already being prepared, you'll receive a refund within 24 - 48 hours of the release date.

This might not be the best game I will play this year but it's damn sure the one that will give me the most joy/fun.

Just beat
Metal Sonic
and I had a stupid smile on my face the entire time.

There are some rough parts about it (it's a bit easy so far at least the Modern levels(I got all S ranks on those) but damn if I care. This is shit is awesome.

Zelda probably will be my actual GOTY but this shit right here?...AAAAWWW YEEEAAAH

Top Bottom