• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Pietepiet

Anth0ny said:
http://i.imgur.com/OAmIc.jpg

dude.

So good! I'm still waiting for mine to ship from Amazon. I saw a bunch of PS3 CE's in stores here, but I want it on 360 so I guess I'll have to wait it out. Argh, it's killing me!

RANKING LEVELS FOR FUN AND PROFIT

I'll group them by threes.

Classic
God Tier:
Speed Highway
City Escape
Sky Sanctuary

Great Tier:
Crisis City
Rooftop Run
Seaside Hill

Good Tier:
Chemical Plant
Green Hill
Planet Wisp

Modern
Chili Dog Tier (with cheese):
Speed Highway
Sky Sanctuary
Chemical Plant

Chili Dog Tier (without cheese):
Rooftop Run
Crisis City
City Escape

Hot Dog Tier:
Planet Wisp
Green Hill
Seaside Hill

Speed Highway is amazing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So... How does this game compare to the modern Sonic games (meaning Sonic Adventure onwards to Colors)?

RobbieNick said:
"Hard mode"? More like one or two more hits to kill them mode. XP

It doesn't actually seem to change the amount of hits that much, or at all, but it does change up their attack patterns and certain requirements of the fight. Like Shadow required
3 cores instead of 2, was more competitive at chasing down the cores, and took longer to stumble at the end
. The final boss has an attack that's useless and pointless on Normal, but it actually does what you'd think it'd do on Hard.

RagnarokX

The Xtortionist said:
RANKING LEVELS FOR FUN AND PROFIT

I'll group them by threes.

Classic
God Tier:
Speed Highway
City Escape
Sky Sanctuary

Great Tier:
Crisis City
Rooftop Run
Seaside Hill

Good Tier:
Chemical Plant
Green Hill
Planet Wisp

Modern
Chili Dog Tier (with cheese):
Speed Highway
Sky Sanctuary
Chemical Plant

Chili Dog Tier (without cheese):
Rooftop Run
Crisis City
City Escape

Hot Dog Tier:
Planet Wisp
Green Hill
Seaside Hill

Speed Highway is amazing.
Yeah, Planet Wisp is DEFINITELY the worst classic stage. The overuse of spikes ruins it.

Ozone

I love how on Modern Crisis City I fall off the level 100 times. They've truly captured the feeling of Sonic 2006.

I am rather shocked how "off the beaten path" they let you get in these levels.

Nu6WL.jpg

All of those paths on the side? You can actually jump to them and they actually lead to things like 1ups and rings and such. You can also land on the big round reservoir things and walk around on them.

So used to being funneled down a tube, it's weird to be given freedom.

RagnarokX said:
Here's a funny scripted sequence glitch I found in Seaside Hill Act 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kZP5adlcdg

Yeah, I had Athleticism on (boy that makes underwater sequences play weird, you actually count on the extra lag to your movements being there), and the wooden loop/corkscrew had a momentary freakout similar to that, where I dropped but then sort of snapped to it and shot through the loop quickly. Didn't happen the next time through, though,

branny

Mistle said:
Question for fans of Colours: Is Generations better?
Having just gone through a Colors marathon prior to getting this game, I think I'm preferring Colors more but only slightly.

The main story acts in Generations are nice and dense, but some are a little too long. The Planet Wisp acts are a shadow of what they were like in Colors. There's a lot of "variety" to be found in the challenge stages, but most of them are linear or gimmicky. Colors was more consistent in adding fleshed out levels--it had a couple strict novelty acts but those were exceptions, and there were very few duds. After doing over half of the challenges in Generations so far, I definitely know I won't be touching quite a few of them ever again. Some are great, though, and I'm thankful for that.

From a Modern Sonic point of view, Sonic in Colors is more capable. There are a few handling tweaks here and there that improve the feel of Modern Sonic in Generations, but he can't wall jump everywhere (needs panels), "true" double jump (it's back to empty homing dash), or jump spam while swimming. So, with that gone (and the drill wisp gone), say goodbye to the miracle/revelation of Sonic Colors: water levels that were actually fun to play. They're not exactly bad in Generations, though, so no worries.

The scoring system from Colors is also completely gone in Generations. I know a lot of people won't care about this omission, but I miss it. No more making a mad rush to all five red rings, daredevil drift spamming, ring hoarding, or wisp form milking. Speaking of red rings, those only show up in the main acts now. If you were looking for the challenges to have them as well, that's not the case.

Sonic Generations is its own thing, and I definitely like it a lot. Mixing and matching skills makes for interesting player-driven experiences, and being able to customize music (ahem, amazing music) for any stage is greatly appreciated. I'm a fan of Classic Sonic so I am enjoying both major components of the game. I'd much rather play Generations than the Genesis games if that says anything. I just really, really like Colors for some reason; I'm kicking myself for taking so long to finally play it.

Mistle said:
I don't know what the final boss is but judging from impressions, sounds like it's just as bad as the one in Sonic Colours. Which is a shame, as Colours in an amazing game, as Generations seems to be.
I thought the final boss in Colors was great. My only complaint would be
nearly impossible cube layouts every now and then
. The rest of the bosses in that game were good, too. Lots of pattern recognition, but things were kept nice and simple. A couple bosses in Generations were good, but some weren't fun at all. I think I actually liked the final boss the least. I must've played it wrong because my thumb felt like it was going to fall off shortly after. :(

I actually might pick this up, haven't played a 3D Sonic in ages. Love the idea of playing with both Sonics. Anyone know if the OST is as good as Colors, which was the only thing I had any time for with that game.

branny said:
. The rest of the bosses in that game were good, too. Lots of pattern recognition, but things were kept nice and simple. A couple bosses in Generations were good, but some weren't fun at all. I think I actually liked the final boss the least. I must've played it wrong because my thumb felt like it was going to fall off shortly after. :(

One of the reasons the boss in Colors worked so well was that
it turned your own powers against you, with a dark twist. Hearing the announcer call out "Cube!" "Spikes!" etc, which up until that point had always been a positive thing for you, now a warning of the oncoming attack.

Plus, as you said, it was a good pattern-based boss. And one of the touches I loved about Colors, how even if you had the hints turned on, like usual it was set off to the side so you actively had to seek it out and hit the hint marker. And when you did on the boss,
the signal was too weak from the interference and Tails' escape on the space elevator, so he couldn't actually tell you what to do. You were on your own to figure it out.
I really liked that touch, since I was so used to
hints being spoonfed to you regularly, sometimes totally out of context.
I'm disappointed it's back to that in Generations, with Omochao not even giving you time to assess the situation before he tells you the next step to win. I'm glad you can turn him off to start with, and I think the average player will honestly enjoy the game more if you do so. All the information you need is still on the screen even without him.

RedSwirl

Now this thread has confused me. Get? Not get (probably waiting for the Steam sale)? Was Sky Sanctuary really halfway through the game?

And I don't think it's best to play this on a standard 360 controller because of the D-pad and the 2D levels, but the fight pad doesn't handle the 3D levels so well. Might have to wait for those MLG pads or rig up my PS3 pad again which is a pain.

AniHawk

RedSwirl said:
Now this thread has confused me. Get? Not get (probably waiting for the Steam sale)? Was Sky Sanctuary really halfway through the game?
more like a third. 18 acts and sky sanctuary act 2 is the sixth one.

So was the Steam version immediately playable at midnight?

I pre-downloaded the game, but I'm working a shitty graveyard shift so I'm hoping I can just rush home and play.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Phew, I felt so tired yesterday that I just crashed after playing a bit more.

Sciz said:
Boss themes across the board are the one thing they really dropped the ball on. Very little of interest that's unlockable, and most of the remixes are either half-baked or of tracks that no one cared about in the first place. Definitely hoping the 3DS version steps it up.
After playing a little more of the game (incl. some challenge missions, which is why this game is taking a while for me to get through aside from being busy with other stuff),
I'm inclined to agree with this. I haven't heard Egg Dragoon yet (I will when I get home since I'm there now), but from the stuff I've unlocked, I'm kind of disappointed with the the boss track selection overall.

The level themes and the hub world themes are really awesome (both Crisis City mixes were so fantastic). I really like those, but I feel like the boss themes were a missed opportunity. Perhaps the one exception so far might be Stardust Speedway (which isn't a boss theme, but it's a rival battle nonetheless), but I'm kind of underwhelmed with everything else.

I really hope the 3DS version has a better selection but after looking at the screenshot of the BGM selection screen from that version's collection room, perhaps the unlockable BGMs might be the same for the most part. Since the level selection is different, however, I wonder if we'll get other boss themes (I know the rival battles are identical).

Regarding Colours comparisons which other people are bringing up... when I beat Generations, I might have to let the game sit for a while and play a bit of Colours again to see which one I prefer. As of right now, I'd say they're kind of equal, but I haven't beaten Generations yet. I'd like to judge Generations on its own merits, though.

I finished it and I think that some of the later stages went downhill in quality or comprehensiveness

some platformable objects are not clear to be platormable objects

the scafold in City Escape was retarded, and the flying rocks and cars in Crisis City were so unclear as platformable objects

The game starts off well with cool classic stages that make sense because game design inspired of the old days creates good disgned stages, but the clunky city stages made no sense in clarity of platforming

okay, I can jump on that but I can't jump on that? what?

City Escape, Crisis City, Rooftop Run + Final Boss really disappoint me

NTom64

Amazon fucked up on my order and billed me twice, so I had to cancel it and now I'm waiting to get my money back.

Are there any other sites that still have the collectors edition in stock? It's a long shot I know, but I'd rather not give up and get the standard edition until I'm all out of options.

If amazon do dispatch my LE today there is no way it will be here for the release date tomorrow morning, how annoying is that :/ should have been dispatched yesterday...

NTom64 said:
Amazon fucked up on my order and billed me twice, so I had to cancel it and now I'm waiting to get my money back.

Are there any other sites that still have the collectors edition in stock? It's a long shot I know, but I'd rather not give up and get the standard edition until I'm all out of options.
That sucks! I just checked my bank after reading this and thankfully they only billed me once, since I have two on order that could have been £300 charged :S

As for more in stock, I have no idea sorry dude :( just don't fall for ebay prices!

You canceled your order, no idea if you can contact support and sort it out before it's too late?

NTom64

Diablohead said:
You canceled your order, no idea if you can contact support and sort it out before it's too late?

Nah, there's no option to pre-order any more.

I'll just go with a standard copy and see if I can grab a collector's edition somewhere else down the line. No biggie, it's just a statue and whatnot anyway lol

Mistle

branny said:
Thinking back to Colours' last boss now, it was actually a pretty good design. Maybe just the shortness/ease of it left a bad taste in my mouth, as im used to modern Sonic games having these huge, drawn out, grand, final bosses.

Pietepiet

NTom64 said:
I'll just go with a standard copy and see if I can grab a collector's edition somewhere else down the line. No biggie, it's just a statue and whatnot anyway lol

Where are you located? There's a few here in stores (Netherlands), but overall the thing is pretty rare.

So steam says the PC game unlocks in 10 hours. Is there really any info out there about the PC version?
I hope its not a shitty port :(
EDIT
OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
They changed Sonics spanish voice to a shitty cool character.
FUCK YOU SEGA FUCK YOU IN THE FUCKING ASS!

Spanish sonic has always had the same awesome voice in the cartoons since the 90's, and it was a classic :(

I think i've finally reached a conclusion in the battle of Colours vs Generations.
I'm going with Colours, I rarely had any moments in that game where frustration set in by comparison to generations which has moments that remind me just why people don't fully trust sonic team.
There are too many missions, i'll probably complete them all but they greatly vary in quality, I just did the Vector mission for rooftop run which was an absolute atrocity, Colours may not have missions but it had the vastly superior Sonic Simulator, shame Generations didn't go for a similar idea, it would make me far more excited to grab those red rings.
Of course this isn't to say that Generations is bad at all (it's still pretty great), in fact at its best Generations trumps Colours but it also has numerous low points (late game stages can get cheap, occasionally frustrating and confusing bosses and some poor but optional missions)which kind of dampen the experience.

Barrett2

Would this run on my laptop?

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

Midou

AbsoluteZero said:
I'm surprised how many people apparently bought the PC version without knowing the quality of the port.

Considering its close to half the price, it is a risk that is worth taking. If it is so bad, Steam support are usually bros and can give steam credit back.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
lawblob said:

I doubt it. Even if it DID run, the performance would probably be slow enough that it would kill the experience. I'm going to guess that this game is much more demanding that you might expect. The main issue you'll run into is the GPU. The Intel HD graphics are pretty terrible and won't be enough for this game, I'd expect.

My main concern is actually how well it keeps up with streaming. The modern levels are particularly lengthy and I fear the PC version will end up suffering from skipping and stuttering as you move through the levels. I don't have a lot of confidence in this.

I think i've finally reached a conclusion in the battle of Colours vs Generations.
I'm going with Colours, I rarely had any moments in that game where frustration set in by comparison to generations which has moments that remind me just why people don't fully trust sonic team.
There are too many missions, i'll probably complete them all but they greatly vary in quality
It's interesting you say that as my problem with Colors was precisely the inclusion of too many stages. Most of the stages felt half assed to me with a huge focus on thin, moving platforms floating in space. The level design felt extremely uninspired throughout. I just couldn't get into it and never finished the game.

The level design in Generations is infinitely more interesting to me.

Peff

AbsoluteZero said:
I'm surprised how many people apparently bought the PC version without knowing the quality of the port.

1) There have been several crazy good deals for it (I got it for 15€, a quarter of the price of the console versions).
2) Even if it's really, really poorly optimised, it would not be hard for it to look/run better than on PS360 with a decent computer. Assuming it doesn't have weird glitches that prevent you from playing the game period, but it's not THAT likely.

lawblob said:

CPU and RAM are OK, but I'm not sure about the integrated card. I think it's barely above minimum requirements, but you'd better wait for the demo or for people to unlock the game and see if it runs well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
2) Even if it's really, really poorly optimised, it would not be hard for it to look/run better than on PS360 with a decent computer. Assuming it doesn't have weird glitches that prevent you from playing the game period, but it's not THAT likely.
I dunno, the framerate is a steady 30 fps on 360 (most of the time, at least). It's entirely possible for the PC version to suffer from hitches, stuttering, and an inconsistent framerate that result in the game feeling worse.

RedSwirl

Wait so is this confirmed Steamworks for all versions? Even PC retail?

Also, you think an HD6850 on a Q6600 Quad will run it well?

Peff

dark10x said:
I dunno, the framerate is a steady 30 fps on 360 (most of the time, at least). It's entirely possible for the PC version to suffer from hitches, stuttering, and an inconsistent framerate that result in the game feeling worse.

Fair point, I'm not entirely convinced it'll be worth it myself, but we'll find out soon, I suppose. That they seem to be releasing a demo gives me some hope that the game is at least playable even if the framerate is locked and such.

So called classic Sonic looks so much better it what he should look like from no on, the other looks like a freak next time him and acts like a ass hole

Classic Sonic like Mickey Mouse and that how he should be

Just discovered that the new spanish voice actor for Sonic is not new, as he also did his voice in the series Sonic Underground. However I prefer much more his Sonic SatAM and Adventures of Sonic voice, it was much more fun and didnt sound like a fucking douchebag.

AbsoluteZero said:

I havent bough it yet. My steam is yesterday and today in the generations steam shop waiting for me to confirm.

Top Bottom