• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

JonCha

Seriously, fuck Edge. I love most of their stuff too. Too many sites are making this game sounds worse than it actually is.

JonCha said:
Seriously, fuck Edge. I love most of their stuff too. Too many sites are making this game sounds worse than it actually is.
Sonic Generations is the game we deserve, but not the one we need right now. So they'll review him poorly because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A blue blur.

So wait, since the game uses Steamworks, does that mean a copy from someplace like Amazon DD (currently has it for $25) will activate on Steam? I'm still not sure if all Steamworks titles do that or if it's on a by-title basis.

Sciz

petethepanda said:
So wait, since the game uses Steamworks, does that mean a copy from someplace like Amazon DD (currently has it for $25) will activate on Steam? I'm still not sure if all Steamworks titles do that or if it's on a by-title basis.
All Steamworks titles are required to run through Steam, no matter what the source is. You don't even have to sell the game on Steam itself.

didamangi

petethepanda said:

Yes. Bought this on Green Man Gaming for $18 and all they gave me is a key to activate on steam.

All other digital distribution also state that the game requires steam.

SkylineRKR

wait... is there no Sonic 3 Ice Cap remake and its awesome music? I thought it was widely considered to be the best stage in any Sonic ever. Its my favourite anyway :)

GrizzNKev

Banned
I bought this on D2D and the keys haven't been distributed yet. According to Steam, we get the European midnight release, which is 9 PM EST. Will D2D still wait until midnight since it's US based, or will we get our keys exactly at release? I'd like to play at the same time as everyone else.

Anth0ny

edge said:
A number of stages from the series have been given a lick of current-gen paint – from Sonic The Hedgehog’s Emerald Hill Zone to more contemporary settings like Sonic Adventure’s Speed Highway

ok

TheOGB

Banned
SkylineRKR said:
wait... is there no Sonic 3 Ice Cap remake and its awesome music? I thought it was widely considered to be the best stage in any Sonic ever. Its my favourite anyway :)
Where'd you get that silly idea

RagnarokX

SkylineRKR said:
I think most people would pick Lava Reef or Flying Battery.

Ice Cap is rather lackluster apart from the music and lack of ice world tropes in classic Sonic.

Malajax

Dark Schala said:
EGM Review - 6.5/10

I'm actually a little amused by this one. The review text is interesting.

Particularly this bit:

In fact, Sonic Team didn’t actually create any new levels for Generations. Instead, every stage has been re-created from nine different Sonic titles, from the original to last year’s Sonic Colors. Generations does offer Sonic in two flavors, though: the original shorter, rounder, black-eyed one and the newer, slimmer one with green eyes. Both Sonics race through seemingly identical acts but from completely different perspectives. But the major paths are the same as in the originals, so grizzled fans of the franchise can play through some levels blindfolded.

The bolded part is hilarious because that's completely not true at all. Every stage might have the look and feel of the older stages with specific callbacks for fans, but other than that, these stages are completely new and different.

Firestorm

Edge 5/10 = Regular 7/10.

Anyway, if you're in the US, Amazon.com has both versions of the game for $37.50. Best Buy has it for $40 - $10 coupon in their @gamer magazine (costs $5 for one issue or $15 for a year subscription). Target's got Buy 2 Get 1 Free.

Today seems to be a good day to buy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
gutter_trash said:
thank God we can change the music of the stages

City Escape, Crisis City, Rooftop Run and Perfect Chaos are awful
Did they somehow fuck it up in this game, or do you hate the original track?

Sciz

gutter_trash said:

you

what

I mean, there's subjectivity and then there's—

I'm sorry, I just can't make this statement gel with reality. My mind rejects it.

Skilletor said:
Any PC impressions?
Still not out. It's an under the radar release of a somewhat under the radar game, and no one who could've made a preview happen cared enough.

SkylineRKR

RagnarokX said:
I think most people would pick Lava Reef or Flying Battery.

Ice Cap is rather lackluster apart from the music and lack of ice world tropes in classic Sonic.

Lava Reef was just the music to me, the level itself wasn't among my top faves or I would've remembered more about it. As far as S3 + K goes, my faves are Ice Cap, Battery and Sky Sanctuary. Marble garden and Sandopolis my least liked. But on the whole, the whole lot of S3+K is nothing short of brilliant.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
SkylineRKR said:
I don't really think it's a good "stage" outside of the music and the snowboarding at the beginning. Nice atmosphere and music, but not necesarily a good level in terms of design. However, given that a lot of the level designs in Generations deviate from the original design, Sonic Team could design Ice Cap better.

I'd go with Lava Reef, Flying Battery, Hidden Palace + Sky Sanctuary or Death Egg from Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

gutter_trash said:

I disagree. In fact, I think some of those themes were the best ones in the game.

Both remixes of Crisis City were fantastic and I absolutely loved what they did with Rooftop Run. And I like what Cash Cash did with Escape from the City a lot.

Seems they
practically remade the entire Sonic 3 soundtrack...

I spot on the OST...

Angel Island
Hydrocity
Marble Garden
Flying Battery
The Death Egg
Sky Sanctuary
Balloon Park
Mushroom Hill Zone

balladofwindfishes said:
Seems they
practically remade the entire Sonic 3 soundtrack...

I spot on the OST...

Angel Island
Hydrocity
Marble Garden
Flying Battery
The Death Egg
Sky Sanctuary
Balloon Park
Mushroom Hill Zone

Ah, are they all remixes though? Surely some of them are just straight rips

Berordn

SpacePirate Ridley said:
So if I buy it from green man gaming http://www.greenmangaming.co.uk/games/adventure/sonic-generations/, do they give me the unlock key for steam right now to use it?
Does that mean that i also get the steam preorder bonus gives (sonic 3 and knuckles), becuase I wanted that also?
I'm not sure if they give you the key yet, but you should be able to download it from them at least. Amazon just emailed me for this anyway, but still says it unlocks later tonight. You won't get the pre-order bonus unless you buy it through Steam.

flowsnake

Green Scar said:

All are remixes, not as good as the ones for the stages though.

Is the current GMG discount only for the preorder? I don't really want to get this until there are impressions.

Sciz

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Does that mean that i also get the steam preorder bonus gives (sonic 3 and knuckles), becuase I wanted that also?
Steam preorders use their own unique keys and are rarely if ever sold through other vendors.

Green Scar said:
All of those that aren't Sky Sanctuary and
Balloon Park
aren't remixes, but they aren't rips either. The best comparison I can make is that they sound like the S&K Collection MIDIs run through a mediocre sound bank.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Firestorm said:
Edge 5/10 = Regular 7/10.

Anyway, if you're in the US, Amazon.com has both versions of the game for $37.50. Best Buy has it for $40 - $10 coupon in their @gamer magazine (costs $5 for one issue or $15 for a year subscription). Target's got Buy 2 Get 1 Free.

Today seems to be a good day to buy.
That's how I got it. Arkham City and Uncharted 3. Sonic for free.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kotaku: Should you buy Sonic Generations?

Answer: Yes.

Sciz said:
All of those that aren't Sky Sanctuary and
Balloon Park
aren't remixes, but they aren't rips either. The best comparison I can make is that they sound like the S&K Collection MIDIs run through a mediocre sound bank.
Yeah, that's the general feeling they gave me too.
I wonder if that's the reason why Carnival Night, Ice Cap and Launch Base aren't unlockables in this game, then, since those themes were all replaced in the PC version.

EGM said:
But the major paths are the same as in the originals, so grizzled fans of the franchise can play through some levels blindfolded.

Well that's just horse shit right there. The older levels had far more paths and hidden areas than the newer ones do.

5/10 = 5/5 Classic Sonic + 0/5 Modern Sonic :p

So I unlocked Sonic Boom and you know the first thing I did with that, fight Metal Sonic again using Sonic Boom as the track, shit was amazing.

Beat the game and there's a lot to love and hate about it, very polarizing.

TheOGB

Banned
gutter_trash said:
yes, dorkky piano and violin fuck that.. it's not Sonic

Ice Cap could have comboed Sonic 3 and Sonic Adventure
While I secretly despise you for your opinion on Rooftop Run and Crisis City, I will concede that Ice Cap would have been an amazing level in Generations for the reason you just stated.

Classic in Sonic 3 Ice Cap, Modern in Adventure Ice Cap. Or switch em up for shits and giggles.

Speaking of, is playing Modern in Classic's stage/Classic in Modern's stage at all possible? Could it be DLC? Should it be DLC?
Answer: No. Reason: FreeLC

ReBurn said:
That's how I got it. Arkham City and Uncharted 3. Sonic for free.
I think you did it wrong.

$60 + $40-50 = free $60?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
gutter_trash said:

bwuah...?

city escape I agree, the remixes are pretty bad. but the others...?

Wonko_C

Is Seven Rings in Hand somewhere in the game?

I find it strange that seemingly there isn't any level from Secret Rings or Black Knight.

Sciz

Wonko_C said:
Is Seven Rings in Hand somewhere in the game?

I find it strange that seemingly there isn't any level from Secret Rings or Black Knight.
SatSR and SatBK both got one track. SRiH isn't one of them.

edit: The PC version is not out quite yet and no one has previewed it. That is all.

Top Bottom